Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22580 of 52337, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
OldCat wrote:

The only thing that bugs me is that despite having 486DX4@100MHz processor, there isn't any radiator on it.

That's fine. Those later embedded versions of the DX4 don't require any cooling.

However, there appear to be problems with overheating at least to some degree, even with a mounted heat sink. Maybe rather due to overall design, though:

http://www.jubatian.com/articles/siemens-nixdorf-pcd-4nd/

Reply 22583 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the sound card today:

OEwDJzol.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22584 of 52337, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
xjas wrote:

^^ That board almost certainly uses a Dell proprietary PSU, just making sure you know. A standard ATX one will plug in but will insta-kill the board.

im pretty sure that i can mod one atx psu to use this board, and to be honest it was really really cheap, i will use one 20 to 24pin atx adaptor and cut and resolder the wires to the right way.
edit: or maybe not, i don't know, dell seems to have tons of power supply cables.

While I was looking for suitable motherboards for my current old PC, I noticed that these Intel made, Dell branded boards do indeed have that different power connector - I also noticed that there are non-Dell versions of the same board, which instead of having that proprietary Dell PSU connector, just shift the ATX connector over to the opposite side of those un-used board holes (that are currently filled in with solder).

When looking at the pinouts, I think it should be the case, that shifting the ATX connector over like so:

dellpowerconnector.jpg
Filename
dellpowerconnector.jpg
File size
21.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

should allow the board to work with a regular ATX power supply, but it's not something I've been able to test yet, because I ended up with a whole computer instead of just the board.

Reply 22586 of 52337, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gb boy is pretty awesome. Bought mine a little while ago, what color did you opt for. Mine is that nuclear translucent green that all cheap Chinese toys were in the 90s 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22587 of 52337, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Gb boy is pretty awesome. Bought mine a little while ago, what color did you opt for. Mine is that nuclear translucent green that all cheap Chinese toys were in the 90s 🤣

Took the clear purple one. It's really awesome. The screen is just so great, even with the odd aspect ratio.

Reply 22588 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went on my thrifting adventures today, and got a box that said Sound Blaster PCI128 with the specs, and I thought to myself "Sweet!" I opened the box to see what was in there, and there were 2 ESS ISA sound cards (one has an IDE port and jumpers everywhere, and both have WaveTable headers), AOL and CompuServe CDs, as well as an audio driver CD for $12.99 which is not bad at all considerably. Not even mad at all since I was looking for certain sound cards for my retro machines for years (prices were high on eBay).

Also got my GeForce2 MX400 in the mail today. Best day ever! Will post pics of everything soon due to plans.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22589 of 52337, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got some +400 floppy disks donated by my brother today. There is even an Apple branded disk somewere in the stack. And it came with lots of disk boxes as well. Will be used for Amiga games and programs. Ohh yes... There will be time spend formatting disks. Nearly all disks are in extremely well condition. Nearlý no wear and tear (cosmetically in good shape) and they do not have any of that basement fungus smell.

I have spotted a couple of original disks, though most are just "backups" (good old corporate pirated software), like a full copy of MS Office 4.3 Danish version. I did spot a couple of original installation disks for some IBM machine and a Compaq machine as well.

EDIT....
Yup. I was not wrong on the estimate. 434 floppy disks in all, and I was told that he can manage to get me even more. :-p

FloppyDisks.jpg
Filename
FloppyDisks.jpg
File size
548.88 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by brostenen on 2018-03-25, 06:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22590 of 52337, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hit a yard sale today with a LOT of motherboards and ISA cards.

Unfortunately the entire box of ISA cards was ruined by nesting rats. Their urine had corroded virtually every card to one degree or another, including a few STB Ultrasound clones and about 20 SB/SBPro/SB16 cards!!!

I did pull a few interesting cards out that seemed only a little urine-damaged: An Intergraph Intense 3d and some sort of weird "SBAWE32UPG" card, which is an EMU-8000 card with two 30 pin SIMM sockets? Never see one of those before. Add-on for SB16 users, maybe? UNFORTUNATELY the Intergraph has two missing leads on one of the 3DFX chips, so I doubt it is functional at all. 🙁

x2GzvE4m.jpg
sNNxFJYm.jpg?1

I also grabbed a bunch of Intel NICs that are only "lightly peed on", and a few miscellaneous floppy controllers and multi IO cards that were all still clean.

There was a Trident ISA card with interesting looking memory package:

erTrxIgm.jpg?1

The motherboards were in excellent condition, and I picked up a nice looking Pentium Pro board (not sure which processor it is) and another half-dozen miscellaneous socket 370 and socket 7 systems with processors, and two slot 1 processors and two what I presume are "slotket" adapters I've read about here.

MHLwTffm.jpg
PyDoAD8m.jpg
NAxeGI4m.jpg
drVKrGRm.jpg
1W6knd2m.jpg
MetZkxnm.jpg

All told, cost me $20, so I am pretty pleased.

Reply 22591 of 52337, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

Their urine had corroded virtually every card to one degree or another, including a few STB Ultrasound clones

dcd32b59e00e68a09cb25f1934342e66de7af5329dab7172ebbd185d7c6c3322.jpg

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 22592 of 52337, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/dc/dcd32b59e00e68a09cb25f1934342e66de7af5329dab7172ebbd185d7c6c3322.jpg […]
Show full quote
keenerb wrote:

Their urine had corroded virtually every card to one degree or another, including a few STB Ultrasound clones

dcd32b59e00e68a09cb25f1934342e66de7af5329dab7172ebbd185d7c6c3322.jpg

I was pretty heartbroken, tbh. They were NASTY, completely beyond hope.

Reply 22594 of 52337, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
Hit a yard sale today with a LOT of motherboards and ISA cards. […]
Show full quote

Hit a yard sale today with a LOT of motherboards and ISA cards.

Unfortunately the entire box of ISA cards was ruined by nesting rats. Their urine had corroded virtually every card to one degree or another, including a few STB Ultrasound clones and about 20 SB/SBPro/SB16 cards!!!

I did pull a few interesting cards out that seemed only a little urine-damaged: An Intergraph Intense 3d and some sort of weird "SBAWE32UPG" card, which is an EMU-8000 card with two 30 pin SIMM sockets? Never see one of those before. Add-on for SB16 users, maybe? UNFORTUNATELY the Intergraph has two missing leads on one of the 3DFX chips, so I doubt it is functional at all. 🙁

x2GzvE4m.jpg
sNNxFJYm.jpg?1

The EMU8K card is the Goldfinch card. CT1920 AWE32 Upgrade, Music volume

Shame about the ruined cards 🙁 but you did get a nice haul for $20!

Reply 22596 of 52337, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/NAxeGI4m.jpg […]
Show full quote

NAxeGI4m.jpg

This one looks like the ECS P6VEM2, and should have a 667MHz VIA C3 Samuel2 soldered to it. Maybe interesting.

Reply 22597 of 52337, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been searching for a long long long (did i mention LONG?) long time and finally today i found a geforce2 Ultra, so happy! I REALLY hope it works or the search continues..

I have been trying so hard to complete my Geforce highend agp collection and i have the GF2 GTS, PRO, Ti for the longest time but could not get the Ultra. Today is the day.

Last year i found 2 at a recycler but both were damaged and not working. So i hope this one is fine.

Only 1 card to go: Nvidia Geforce 7950GT Agp. I only buy in NL and i have never even seen one for sale, will be tuff 😐

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22598 of 52337, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An Epson Equity 1 has arrived! Awesome machine. Took a little coaxing to work, but I can now get it to boot off floppy. Now to find an XT keyboard...

Intel 8088 @ 4.77 mhz
512k RAM (256k onboard + 256k on external RAM expansion plugin board)
Epson branded CGA card (replaced with 8 bit ISA VGA until I get a CGA monitor)
Seagate ST-238R 33mb MFM HDD + Canon 360k drive (no PCB, drive motor and heads connected directly to motherboard!)
WD ISA MFM HDD controller
Epson 55watt linear PSU

Attachments

• 20180324_192006.jpg
    Filename
    20180324_192006.jpg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8347.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8347.JPG
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8335.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8335.JPG
    File size
    779.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8343.JPG
    File size
    818.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 22599 of 52337, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bought a full pc for $15 bucks, told seller i did not want to carry the case and Power supply and floppy drive, so he kept all that. He asked to keep the HDD and i said no problem keep it, i was interested in the voodoo3
it even came with a USRobotics modem 😀

but this is what happens when people without skills try to fix something
the last capacitor in the row is missing.
the solder point might be ruined, have to test it out...but anyway i belive the solder point is the same as the big square in red.

Anyone got a soyo 6ba+ to check?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by Pabloz on 2018-03-26, 00:07. Edited 1 time in total.