VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25560 of 52742, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the socket 8 adapter they were only limited by the fsb essentially, which is typically 66mhz and why the tualatin celeron is the max CPU(14X66=933mhz).

I see no reason why they couldn't have made an adapter for the socket 370 celeron(mendocino) for the socket 7 platform to achieve the same outcome, ASFAIK the powerleap adapters with a k6-2/400 were the max cpu combos for standard socket 7, although same of the earlier boards did support higher fsb for overclocking.

Back to the socket 8 powerleap adapter...

I put an offer and was countered by $200USD, aussie dollar is poor And with shipping would have been around $350 delivered (AUD), looks like it was a bullet dodged as I don't have the skills to repair computer parts.

Bloody shame as it's the only missing piece to the puzzle, I have a powerleap neo & Lin Lin adapter ready to go for a tualatin setup flin my Intel PR440FX at 980mhz(14x70).

Reply 25561 of 52742, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

I see no reason why they couldn't have made an adapter for the socket 370 celeron(mendocino) for the socket 7 platform to achieve the same outcome,

The chipset has to at least support the general platform of the CPU being used. P-Pro & P2/P3 were essentially revisions of the same P6 core, very different from the Pentium or P-MMX. It's the same reason you can run a Pentium Pro in a slocket on an LX or BX board. There's no Socket 7 chipset in existence which 'natively' supports the P6.

Technically the K6 & Cyrix 6x86 series were also very different from the Pentium series, but they were specifically designed to be compatible with the existing Socket 5/7 way of doing things.

If I'm dead wrong here, please correct me, but my understanding is that it won't work.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25562 of 52742, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, guys... P5 and P6 are totally different and use differents system bus, so no Socket7-Socket8 adapter is possible in any way.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 25563 of 52742, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
The chipset has to at least support the general platform of the CPU being used. P-Pro & P2/P3 were essentially revisions of the […]
Show full quote
dirkmirk wrote:

I see no reason why they couldn't have made an adapter for the socket 370 celeron(mendocino) for the socket 7 platform to achieve the same outcome,

The chipset has to at least support the general platform of the CPU being used. P-Pro & P2/P3 were essentially revisions of the same P6 core, very different from the Pentium or P-MMX. It's the same reason you can run a Pentium Pro in a slocket on an LX or BX board. There's no Socket 7 chipset in existence which 'natively' supports the P6.

Technically the K6 & Cyrix 6x86 series were also very different from the Pentium series, but they were specifically designed to be compatible with the existing Socket 5/7 way of doing things.

If I'm dead wrong here, please correct me, but my understanding is that it won't work.

You're correct. I'm intrigued to see a Socket 370 CPU being used in a Socket 8 system.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25564 of 52742, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
That is exactly what it is, […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

Wait... What adapter is that? Never seen one before, and is that for a Socket 8 motherboard that converts it to Socket 370 with the voltage regulation for the processors? That is really weird to see that.

That is exactly what it is,

Out of the box it only takes Mendocino Celerons but with the use of a PPGA to FCPGA adapter it will take Coppermines and if you also stack a FCPGA to FCPGA2 adapter on the top of the other two adapters if will take Tualatins.

I guess you can double stack two LIN LINs as it can be configured both as PPGA ---> FCPGA and FCPGA ---> FCPGA2 depending on how you jumper it. I use a NEO s370 + a LIN LIN in my other Socket 8 to PPGA (S370) adapter and that combination works fine.

I got some sort of CPU adapter in that massive PPro haul a few weeks back new in box. Have found two of these so far, but not quite sure what adapter it is.

box.JPG
Filename
box.JPG
File size
745.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
boxside.JPG
Filename
boxside.JPG
File size
539.35 KiB
Views
File license
boxopen.JPG
Filename
boxopen.JPG
File size
911.71 KiB
Views
File license
boxopen2.JPG
Filename
boxopen2.JPG
File size
704.04 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 25565 of 52742, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 2 cents: possibly a Socket 5 to Socket 7 adapter to allow the use of the Pentium MMX or K6 processors (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Reply 25566 of 52742, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

If you ask me, the damage of (at least) one of the chips can be clearly seen. But I agree, the description is misleading as he states, the items can either be used for recycling or for usage which would imply a working condition of all components.

Reply 25567 of 52742, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logitech 3 button serial mouse. Takes me back to 1993
I hate meeces to peeces !

Attachments

Reply 25568 of 52742, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

My 2 cents: possibly a Socket 5 to Socket 7 adapter to allow the use of the Pentium MMX or K6 processors (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Either this or a single-voltage Socket 7 to split-voltage Socket 7 adapter. Maybe the adapter covers both use cases. P55C is the Pentium MMX and K6 is its counterpart from AMD. Unfortunately this has a linear voltage regulator. I guess that's why it says "K6-L". The regulator will get fairly hot if you put a K6-PR200 in it and you don't let fan blow directly on it.

Reply 25569 of 52742, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

More or less 😉

Thing is, the difference between So5 and So7 is that So7 has a second multiplier pin and the possibility to use split voltage. If you're not using that second multiplier pin and your board doesn't support split voltage, So5 and So7 are completely identical, so you don't need any kind of adapter. So the So5 vs So7 bit isn't relevant. What is, is the voltage, and that's what this adapter does: it supplies 2.8V (and possibly other voltages too) with a split-voltage plane, so you can run split voltage CPUs (such as the P55C Pentium MMX and K6) on a motherboard (either So5 or So7) that only has a single voltage plane. Looking at the jumpers it probably also allows modification of the multiplier, to allow 2.5x and 3x (and maybe higher if it also implements the third multiplier bit) on an So5 board.

Reply 25570 of 52742, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this in the mail, finally.

ATI_Radeon_9800_PRO.jpg

Tested to see if it works.. And she bangs! She bangs!

This was my originally intended card for my Socket 754 system but in the meantime I obtained an X1950PRO AGP.. Stick to that, or replace with this? Choices..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25571 of 52742, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

Back to the socket 8 powerleap adapter...

I put an offer and was countered by $200USD, aussie dollar is poor And with shipping would have been around $350 delivered (AUD), looks like it was a bullet dodged as I don't have the skills to repair computer parts.

Bloody shame as it's the only missing piece to the puzzle, I have a powerleap neo & Lin Lin adapter ready to go for a tualatin setup flin my Intel PR440FX at 980mhz(14x70).

I paid $180 (USD) but the shipping was not expensive and I dodged some of the VAT because the seller "somehow mistyped" the value on the customs form...

With shipping and fees the totel ended up at about $215 but as long as the adapter behaves better* with new caps I'm happy. If the loose socket hinders me from stacking adapters it's not the end of the world as I think I prefer to run two Mendocino Celeron 533 in one of my PR440FX boards anyhow.

* I did not get it to post again after that successful post where I ran Speedsys

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25572 of 52742, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Radeon 9800 Pro?

appiah4 wrote:

This was my originally intended card for my Socket 754 system but in the meantime I obtained an X1950PRO AGP.. Stick to that, or replace with this? Choices..

Are you planning to use 98? If yes, X1950 is out of the question. Otherwise, for XP it's clearly faster choice.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 25573 of 52742, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Radeon 9800 Pro?

Yes, the 128MB version.

Srandista wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Are you planning to use 98? If yes, X1950 is out of the question. Otherwise, for XP it's clearly faster choice.

I have quite a few Windows 98 PCs, I think my K6-2/V2-SLI and Tualatin/GF3Ti PC have me covered for early and Win98 gaming. The Socket 754 will be a Win2K or WinXP PC, most likely WinXP (I will install Win2K on my Dell/Compaq OEM P3s).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25575 of 52742, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/8KHlH8Hm.jpg […]
Show full quote

8KHlH8Hm.jpg

These JBL Creature III speakers.

I had that speaker system back in 2006-2007.

Reply 25577 of 52742, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

How were they?

Pretty good. Wish I can find a 5.1 surround speakers for my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum sound card, or a sound bar would suffice (not sure if the SPDIF is DOS friendly or not) since I have the IR drive installed with the remote control (Windows 98SE only) and MIDI in/out for hooking up a Roland MT-32, SC-55, or equivalent.

Reply 25579 of 52742, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ordered 200 euros worth of capacitors from Mouser.

Panasonic FR and Nichicon HZ series.

I still need more sizes and as I only got 1000uF and 1500uF, mostly 8mm with 3.5mm spacing this time around but as they have free shipping on orders above 50 euro (+VAT) I can just aswell make another order later.

I will use Panasonic FR to recap the non working Socket 8 to Socket 370 adapter. I think they should be a good match for the bulging "NKCON" caps that are there now...

I'm not really sure my tip for my solder station is suited for the job as the solder pads seem to be less than 1mm wide with about the width of a hair to the surrounding ground plane... One cap is easier to replace than the other 4 though as it dosn't have a ground plane around the pad and luckily thats the one that is really bulging so that is where I will start.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.