User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

A loose board I wouldn't pay $20 for.

Virgins valued quite high, huh?

OMG have you seen the prices on ebay? They are all so expensive unless you get them from eastern europe.

That's what I have noticed recently as well. I don't know why I see so many vintage motherboards advertised for >€100. I guess some folks are getting greedy.

Some sellers from Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Latvia etc. price within my acceptable range. Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately because I already pay enough taxes for poor EU countries?) some of these countries are not part of the EU and/or are not part of the euro zone, which can make buying expensive as yet or limit ways to close deals. The language barrier is also an issue with a lot of them.

cyclone3d wrote:

There are some sellers that price stuff through the roof. Some of those same sellers also have web stores with the same exact price.

And some of them have a website where you can buy the same item for less than what they ask on eBay. When the eBay seller is a commercial seller and I want an item, then I first search on the eBay seller name to find out whether they have a web shop where I can buy the item for less.

Reply 25701 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote:
I have been wanting to put together a 386 machine for a while now and my first piece of it arrived today. […]
Show full quote

I have been wanting to put together a 386 machine for a while now and my first piece of it arrived today.

It's actually a hybrid board - Opti 495SLC. It is pre populated with a AMD DX40 and a 40mhz ULSI Maths Co Processor and 4mb ram. Battery hasn't leaked but I'll be replacing this with a new one. Very happy with this pick up.

bHUBHHHl.jpg

Secondly a Creative TNT2 Ultra

8BVquU9l.jpg

That battery won't leak. It is an organic Lithium battery. My 386 SBC board has the same type.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25702 of 52352, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I was in a thrift store and I saw a Dell Dimension V350 for $9.99 / parts as-is

I have already powered it on and confirmed it works by poking around in the BIOS. the floppy doesn't work, and it has no hard drive but once I have time to clean it up and put it back together, replace fans with some quieter stuff, I might have something I can just throw my Voodoo 2 and Soundblaster into (never got around to doing anything with my K6 stuff) and hopefully 350mhz won't feel -too- slow for some Windows gaming

IMG_0067 (iPhone).JPG
Filename
IMG_0067 (iPhone).JPG
File size
514.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0066 (iPhone).JPG
Filename
IMG_0066 (iPhone).JPG
File size
772.96 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0065 (iPhone).JPG
Filename
IMG_0065 (iPhone).JPG
File size
613.2 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0063 (iPhone).JPG
Filename
IMG_0063 (iPhone).JPG
File size
769.99 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0064 (iPhone).JPG
Filename
IMG_0064 (iPhone).JPG
File size
402.43 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 25703 of 52352, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Picked up Labway Xwave-6000 Yamaha YMF754 based,never actually used Yamaha sound cards so decide to test and give it a try. […]
Show full quote

Picked up Labway Xwave-6000 Yamaha YMF754 based,never actually used Yamaha sound cards so decide to test and give it a try.

BfWb70Ml.jpg

Wow, that's really interesting. Mine has YMF744B-V, and slight differences in the PCB. Also, my ID reads: LWHA471N6 and has the add-on board with the amplifiers. I didn't realize there were different revisions of this card.

Reply 25704 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

pre-XT PC-compatible with some AT-class features

So it's a proprietary system? 😉

Yep. Completely software compatible with the PC though, and hardware compatible with the original 8b PC bus - which is why it was one of the more popular clones. 8086, 16b I/O and keyboard and monitor were the oddball things.

By the way I don't think that this Olivetti predates the 1983 IBM PC XT, it's probably from '87 or so.

The design is solidly 1983, but it was sold until 1987 (4 year model runs... those were the days). My 'nice' specimen that was missing a keyboard was a late one, dating to mid 1987, the one from yesterday is a late 1985 machine.

Reply 25705 of 52352, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
xjas wrote:

^^ what board is that? And where's the RAM?

Looks like the Intel D5400XS. Skulltrail!!! Extreme!!! RAM slots would be underneath that perforated silver thing (whatever it is; RAM fan maybe? I see an OCZ logo).

Yes this is the D5400XS. The silver thing is an OCZ RAM cooler 😀 Never heard of it before I saw it for sale
Untested so far. I don't have a beefy enough PSU. 1000W is recommended 🤣. I would like to try if it powers up with my Corsair 650W or at least check if it gets power before I buy an expensive PSU.
Too bad the IO plate and heatsink are missing and there is not a lot to be found on Ebay for this board.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 25706 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone left a couple of boxes at my door last evening... wonder what is in them. One is bigger, one is smaller... let's start with the bigger one.

1.jpg

Oh good, a bunch of packing peanuts. I'll save them. You can never have enough peanuts (seriously I have a big box almost full of them).

2.jpg

There was also this stuff among the peanuts... maybe I should take a look at it.

3.jpg

A processor of some kind, still sealed... I'll keep it, may prove useful.

4.jpg

A dual NIC, someone could use that for a server.

5.jpg

Cable that looks like IDE except it's too wide. They messed it up at the factory maybe? 😀

6.jpg

A big heavy box with some connectors at one end... looks like the cable above could fit in there.

7.jpg

8.jpg

A quaint little card, with a connector that could accept the other end of that cable.

9.jpg

A video card apparently... decoding the markings says "Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro" (sorry for the blurriness)

10.jpg

Little VLB motherboard with CPU and all. Someone clipped the battery but not before it spilled its guts. Aww, that's like abandoning a sick puppy at the vet. I'll have to tend to it right away. (I actually know that emergency surgery was done on it a few days ago).

11.jpg

12.jpg

Some extender cables that look like they could fit in the above motherboard.

13.jpg

Big hunks of metal with electrical devices attached. They could probably fit on top of something, but what?

14.jpg

And then there's this. A mostly unmarked, unassuming box.

15.jpg

Let's open it see what's inside.

16.jpg

Couple of these in cardboard sleeves. Oh no, Skynet is upon us!

17.jpg

Manual could be handy

19.jpg

Uh-oh. Why are your sockets so big, Grandma?

20.jpg

A couple of lumps of metal in a tray.

21.jpg

They have a sort of magic appeal.

22.jpg

And perfect pins

23.jpg

Looks like they could fit into those sockets. They do!

24.jpg

And in the other big box we have... a wee case.

25.jpg

Someone stuck a golf ball on the front of it.

26.jpg

Push... click

27.jpg

Never used. Could be a nice house for that 486 motherboard above.

28.jpg

(sorry for the deluge of images but I'm too excited. This is all from the Great Pentium Pro Haul of 2018 by LuckyBob and liqmat)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25707 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Neco wrote:
Today I was in a thrift store and I saw a Dell Dimension V350 for $9.99 / parts as-is […]
Show full quote

Today I was in a thrift store and I saw a Dell Dimension V350 for $9.99 / parts as-is

I have already powered it on and confirmed it works by poking around in the BIOS. the floppy doesn't work, and it has no hard drive but once I have time to clean it up and put it back together, replace fans with some quieter stuff, I might have something I can just throw my Voodoo 2 and Soundblaster into (never got around to doing anything with my K6 stuff) and hopefully 350mhz won't feel -too- slow for some Windows gaming

IMG_0065 (iPhone).JPG
IMG_0063 (iPhone).JPG

Which soundblaster card would you be throwing into it? Unless it is a AWE32, AWE64, Live! or Audigy, there is pretty much 0 reason to do so as the YMF724 is going to cover everything that you would want to play in DOS and Windows. You even have real OPL3 and hardware wavetable (wavetable only in Windows and DOS through Windows) on that chip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25708 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news about the 486 motherboard above, I plugged in a PS and VGA card as well as a 4MB stick of RAM and it booted right up. The CPU is most likely an AMD 486DX2-66 based on the jumper configuration (the jumper labeled "AMD" is on, the one labeled "Cyrix" is off, FSB jumpered for 33MHz, boot screen identifies it as DX2-66. The heatsink is glued on so I cannot confirm this directly (not going to pry it off). There are no markings on the CPU bottom.

20181018-104827.jpg
20181018-104835.jpg

(edit) stupid monitor OSD covers the XMS amount. It's 4MB.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25709 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Zalman Fatal1ty Aluminum case arrived yesterday.
I am going to fill it with Authentic Fatality brand components.
This case is made of really thick Aluminum and is very heavy.
Good Quality stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0341.JPG
    File size
    993.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0339.JPG
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0338.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0338.JPG
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0336.JPG
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0334.JPG
    File size
    789 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25711 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The great Voodoo restoration project has begun. I've started work on repairing the four damaged Voodoo cards I got over the last couple of weeks. I can report success with these two:

Diamond-Monster3-D-Voodoo-1-B.jpg 3dfx-Voodoo-3-1000.jpg

Now I need to fix a Voodoo 2 and another Voodoo 3. I would really appreciate your help with determining the ratings of some capacitors on these cards, if you kindly would..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25712 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

Let me guess. X-Fi Fatal1ty sound?

Yes, I have one of those. I just need a Fatal1ty video card. Nvidia GS8800

Attachments

• 60701aa1cf.jpg
    Filename
    60701aa1cf.jpg
    File size
    78.89 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25713 of 52352, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Neco wrote:
Today I was in a thrift store and I saw a Dell Dimension V350 for $9.99 / parts as-is […]
Show full quote

IMG_0065 (iPhone).JPG
IMG_0063 (iPhone).JPG

Which soundblaster card would you be throwing into it? Unless it is a AWE32, AWE64, Live! or Audigy, there is pretty much 0 reason to do so as the YMF724 is going to cover everything that you would want to play in DOS and Windows. You even have real OPL3 and hardware wavetable (wavetable only in Windows and DOS through Windows) on that chip.

I don't recall off hand but I believe I have a somewhat rare-in-the-wild (edit: checked my amazon) CT2290 or something? I know its got an OPL chip on it. I have had it boxed for so long I don't remember its exact model or specs.

I am actually unfamiliar with Yamaha chips, but I found it very intriguing to have found something tagged as "XG" in a Dell machine, and was looking forward to seeing what the MIDI sounded like.

Reply 25715 of 52352, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Someone left a couple of boxes at my door last evening... wonder what is in them. One is bigger, one is smaller... let's start with the bigger one.
(sorry for the deluge of images but I'm too excited. This is all from the Great Pentium Pro Haul of 2018 by LuckyBob and liqmat)

Very nice stuff!! looking forward to getting a piece of this haul as well soon 😀

keropi wrote:

some shiny stuff for the collection 😀

Great find!! Looks new and unused... is it? Wish I didn't sell mine a few years ago 😵

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 25716 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes it was sealed: I opened it 2 years ago - a friend had it in his PC but now it came back to me after I sent him one of the latest batch of MQ MPUs . He was glad he got rid of the metal break out box 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25717 of 52352, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
I have been wanting to put together a 386 machine for a while now and my first piece of it arrived today. […]
Show full quote

I have been wanting to put together a 386 machine for a while now and my first piece of it arrived today.

It's actually a hybrid board - Opti 495SLC. It is pre populated with a AMD DX40 and a 40mhz ULSI Maths Co Processor and 4mb ram. Battery hasn't leaked but I'll be replacing this with a new one. Very happy with this pick up.

bHUBHHHl.jpg

i have the same mainboard - i have tried out with a dx2. it is much slower, than a later sis471 board.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 25718 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Let me guess. X-Fi Fatal1ty sound?

Yes, I have one of those. I just need a Fatal1ty video card. Nvidia GS8800

This guy might well be the most annoying face in gaming hardware; I really don't see why one would build a tribute PC to him but good luck to you all the same.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25719 of 52352, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was "actively-not-buying" anything for a while, but I can't stop myself when I see a known brand S7 ATX board for cheap:

A Soyo SY-5XAE socket 7 motherboard, Intel Pentium MMX 233 CPU with cooler and 128MB SDRAM for about 25USD.

I have no idea about this board, I only know Soyo is a good brand. Is there any details that I should know about this board? What about compared to an Asus TXP4-X?

Sellers photo:

x16_6076935528kb.jpg
Filename
x16_6076935528kb.jpg
File size
357.82 KiB
Views
File license

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI