Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27260 of 52694, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I received an email today stating that I will also receive a new one (and to keep the old one since returning them is too expens […]
Show full quote
SEGamer wrote:
I got a response today from them saying they'll send the correct board and I can keep the one that originally came, so we'll see […]
Show full quote
SW-SSG wrote:

^Perhaps I spoke too soon... :\

Odd that an MB that has, as its main feature (AFAIK), PCI together with VLB would occasionally skip the VLB slots. That and a missing BIOS ROM makes me wonder if the previous owner (like, previous to the Ebay seller) re-purposed some of their unused stock for fixing broken boards or something.

Either way, I'd like to think the seller actually will honour refunds, considering that what was received doesn't match the photos.

I got a response today from them saying they'll send the correct board and I can keep the one that originally came, so we'll see if the next one is right 🤣

Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

Mine also has no VLB slots. And no BIOS chip.

I'm not sure how they missed this. Granted they probably never seen a motherboard let alone ones as old as these before and for some reason never noticed the differences.

I received an email today stating that I will also receive a new one (and to keep the old one since returning them is too expensive). That's pretty darn good customer service for an item listed as

We are selling the motherboard as parts / repair units rather than as a properly functioning unit.

We are not accepting returns on this item so please purchase accordingly.

Faith in eBay upped a bit.

I received my replacement today. Seems okay, now with VLB slots and BIOS.

Qycsrb4l.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 27261 of 52694, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While this picture doesn't contain anything vintage, this was a retro focused purchase for sure.

cap_order (1440x1920).jpg
Filename
cap_order (1440x1920).jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is what $200 worth of capacitors and other components from Mouser looks like. I have a ton of stuff I want to repair and I keep finding more. Some of the parts I've been intending to fix have been in my possession for several years. I've been working on my list of capacitors to order for over a year and finally finished it last week. I feel like a kid in a candy store looking through these. There's nothing like a baggy full of pristine, brand new, name brand, high quality, low esr, capacitors with exactly the ratings you've been looking for for over two years. I must say, Mouser is fantastic to deal with too. The way they pack these specifically for my order is fantastic. They number each bag to match the line items on my invoice so I can just sort them by number and then go through the list to be sure everything is here. It looks like the order is perfect (32 different items)... granted I haven't counted every capacitor. 😵

With this lot I should finally be able to repair the following parts that I've been eagerly waiting to get running... just to name a few things:

SoundBlaster CT1330A (SB Pro 1) which was stripped of all of its caps by a scrapper
2 (two!) Iwill DVD266U-RN dual Tualatin DDR boards (with processors and copper heatsinks, and supposedly with very special BIOSes... I can't wait to see them)
Several Asus TUV4X Tualatin boards that had some damaged caps (not bad caps, just damaged from storage)
Multiple old sound cards that had caps bent\damaged in storage or in scrap lots, including cards with built in wavetable, CT2230, and others
Nvidia NV1
A couple 486 boards
Some uncommon Geforce 256, Geforce 2 GTS\Ultra and Geforce 3 cards
Some 440BX boards
AOpen AX34-U (Tualatin board with ISA)
Abit IS7 (Intel 865PE Socket 478 board, similar style to the NF7-S)
ECS K7S5A (me and this board go way back... I just needed caps to resurrect it again)
... and more!

I'm going to be busy. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27262 of 52694, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I received my replacement today. Seems okay, now with VLB slots and BIOS. […]
Show full quote

I received my replacement today. Seems okay, now with VLB slots and BIOS.

Qycsrb4l.jpg?1

Great news! Have been using my board quite extensively for testing VLB cards and it has been working perfect. Like I said before, that VRM cap near the CPU had been knocked loose on mine and just required a dab of solder and all fixed.

Qycsrb4.jpg
Filename
Qycsrb4.jpg
File size
990.51 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27263 of 52694, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't found much lately. Got two too new systems for free, one is based on an Sempron 3400+, the other one E6550.
Also for free Radeon 9800 and some DDr400 memory.

What I bought in retro hardware fits in one picture sadly 😢

IMG_2195s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2195s.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

Two soundcards, "Asound Gold" and Terratec Promedia Audiosystem EWS64 (phew, long name)
Random scsi-card.
And an socket 4 Pentium 66, sold as untested but hope it works, if nothing else for troubleshooting. My P66 system hangs after some minutes then won't restart until cold.

Last edited by Vegge on 2019-02-14, 20:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27264 of 52694, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still trying to get MT32 emulation to work using the gameport and MIDI Player from Falcosoft and another step in the right direction is:

https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI

824200569.jpg

It means I no longer need gameport-to-MIDI cables + female-to-female coupling attachment even though I can't use my joystick at the same time (no big loss).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27265 of 52694, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vegge wrote:
I haven't found much lately. Got two too new systems for free, one is based on an Sempron 3400+, the other one E6550. Also for […]
Show full quote

I haven't found much lately. Got two too new systems for free, one is based on an Sempron 3400+, the other one E6550.

IMG_2195s.jpg

Two soundcards, "Asound Gold" and Terratec Promedia Audiosystem EWS64 (phew, long name)
Random scsi-card.
And an socket 4 Pentium 66, sold as untested but hope it works, if nothing else for troubleshooting. My P66 system hangs after some minutes then won't restart until cold.

Huh... could have sworn you grabbed some Pentium Pro gear within recent memory. 😉

Reply 27266 of 52694, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vegge wrote:
I haven't found much lately. Got two too new systems for free, one is based on an Sempron 3400+, the other one E6550. Also for […]
Show full quote

IMG_2195s.jpg

Random scsi-card.

EWS64.. So cool, so jealous..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27267 of 52694, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:
Still trying to get MT32 emulation to work using the gameport and MIDI Player from Falcosoft and another step in the right direc […]
Show full quote

Still trying to get MT32 emulation to work using the gameport and MIDI Player from Falcosoft and another step in the right direction is:

https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI

824200569.jpg

It means I no longer need gameport-to-MIDI cables + female-to-female coupling attachment even though I can't use my joystick at the same time (no big loss).

Sweet.... I did not know they have made such a device.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27269 of 52694, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... Seems as the mailman have been here twice today. This here was in the mailbox tonight....

95mb.jpg
Filename
95mb.jpg
File size
498.73 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27270 of 52694, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Huh... could have sworn you grabbed some Pentium Pro gear within recent memory. 😉

Now that you mention it 😁 (thought I uploaded it, had resized the images and all)

Got some PPro stuff 😎 1mb chips are NOS

IMG_1709s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1709s.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license

NOS mobo

IMG_1901s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1901s.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license

NOS 64mb 72-pin added to the machine

IMG_1958s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1958s.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license

Yaaaaay 😁 Not NOS anymore.

IMG_1973s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1973s.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license

At the same time I got this beauty. NOS Supermicro P6DBE Dual Slot 1 😀

IMG_2198s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2198s.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license

All this in a big lovely box some days before christmas. My gift to myself.

Reply 27272 of 52694, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:
Now that you mention it :D (thought I uploaded it, had resized the images and all) <snip> NOS 64mb 72-pin added to the machine […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote:

Now that you mention it 😁 (thought I uploaded it, had resized the images and all)
<snip>
NOS 64mb 72-pin added to the machine

IMG_1958s.jpg

<snip>
All this in a big lovely box some days before christmas. My gift to myself.

Man that is some sexy gear!

(Those fans look noisy though?)

1982 to 2001

Reply 27273 of 52694, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
And got this for $10 + shipping - sellers pic. It is a Prometeia phase change CPU cooler. Always wanted a phase change unit. Any […]
Show full quote

And got this for $10 + shipping - sellers pic. It is a Prometeia phase change CPU cooler. Always wanted a phase change unit. Anybody think that this would be good to push a K6-2+ or K6-3+ to 720Mhz?
I will just have to make a mounting bracket, CPU socket shim, and come up with some way to insulate the back of the motherboard, etc.
Wondering if it has had the R404a refrigerant mod done on it which was a popular mod to have done in order to increase the cooling capacity.
Full review of one of these can be seen here:
http://www.dwpg.com/cooling/phase-change-cool … percooling.html

Nice score! What version is on stick? Never seen this model of front LCD with buttons.
For any K6 will be overkill 😀 Did you get heating plate with this? Important thing to run.

My last stuff
classic Libretto, Fire V7700, FX5950U

IMG-4043-resize.jpg

IMG-4048-resize.jpg

and ME in BOX

IMG-4051-resize.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 27276 of 52694, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chose007 wrote:
https://i.ibb.co/h1fM23G/IMG-4051-resize.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG-4051-resize.jpg

The absolute best part of ME, is the boxart.
And a bonus is the catch phrase on the bottom of the front of the box. It is so bizarre by todays standard.

Reply 27277 of 52694, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chose007 wrote:
Nice score! What version is on stick? Never seen this model of front LCD with buttons. For any K6 will be overkill :-) Did you g […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:
And got this for $10 + shipping - sellers pic. It is a Prometeia phase change CPU cooler. Always wanted a phase change unit. Any […]
Show full quote

And got this for $10 + shipping - sellers pic. It is a Prometeia phase change CPU cooler. Always wanted a phase change unit. Anybody think that this would be good to push a K6-2+ or K6-3+ to 720Mhz?
I will just have to make a mounting bracket, CPU socket shim, and come up with some way to insulate the back of the motherboard, etc.
Wondering if it has had the R404a refrigerant mod done on it which was a popular mod to have done in order to increase the cooling capacity.
Full review of one of these can be seen here:
http://www.dwpg.com/cooling/phase-change-cool … percooling.html

Nice score! What version is on stick? Never seen this model of front LCD with buttons.
For any K6 will be overkill 😀 Did you get heating plate with this? Important thing to run.

My last stuff
classic Libretto, Fire V7700, FX5950U

IMG-4043-resize.jpg

IMG-4048-resize.jpg

and ME in BOX

IMG-4051-resize.jpg

It is the original Prometeias. No software control like the Mach II line had.
The original also didn't have a heating element for the back of the board and I am unsure if it had one for the top plate area either.

I have a couple heating elements bookmarked that should work though. I will just have to measure the area I need to heat before ordering though, and they are cheap. Less than $5 a piece shipped from China.

I already have a few mods planned for the unit itself.. such as NOT blowing all the hot air from the condenser onto the compressor.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27278 of 52694, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, than you have one of first release. Question what is max cooling temperature. My Mach II GT can do +/- -60 and second I have -65.
I have original plate 12V and 7.2W, maybe this can help you for good choise.
Yep cooling head has heating too but this doesn't help to much for back side of motherboard.

Test without heating plate after 5 minutes ... almost useless. Lot of snow and ice 😀
Still you can easy start fun with own heating.

DSCF6265-resize.jpg

DSCF6341-resize.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 27279 of 52694, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lian Li PC-V800 ATX HTPC standing Case. ( Solid Aluminum ).

I think I will put a AMD k6-3-500mhz and Super socket 7 motherboard in this case.

Attachments

• lianli-001.jpg
    Filename
    lianli-001.jpg
    File size
    284.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    244.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-02-15, 16:08. Edited 2 times in total.