VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19480 of 52757, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yay, the Diamond Monster Fusion I got the other day for $10 works great! I ran it through my usual battery of tests and it handled everything I threw at it.

The original Diamond fan had a slight buzz to it for the first 15 minutes or so, but after the card warmed up it is now very quiet. Overall, this is fine specimen of a Banshee. The card is pristine and there's just a tiny bit of dust in the fan. This is the only 3DFX card I own that has active cooling aside from my V5 5500s in PCI and AGP. It definitely seems like a good idea, given the scalding temperatures these cards reach.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 19481 of 52757, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
Also, noticed this on the bottom. […]
Show full quote

Also, noticed this on the bottom.

ntMcrhbl.jpg?1

Either it was a sample, or maybe just for sale in Canada only?

Iirc it had something to do with patents or copyright..something or so.
I don't think it's a sample.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19482 of 52757, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah iirc intel was really angry at UMC and they managed to ban them from the USA

It should perform much better than an SX33 as well IIRC

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19483 of 52757, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel was going all out with their legal department around that time. It was the start of them trying to corner the PC market.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19484 of 52757, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a set of sealed floppies for $0.99 for 8 of them. Almost bought a Samsung VR 2016 version, but $74.99 at the same thrift store I got the floppies from, but it's a little too much. My S7 Edge is supported for it.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-10-16, 17:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19485 of 52757, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Took this lot away for $10 from a newly discovered electronics recycle center within a quick driving distance from me. I'd say t […]
Show full quote

Took this lot away for $10 from a newly discovered electronics recycle center within a quick driving distance from me. I'd say that price was, well, amazing. There was tons more to cherry pick, but just didn't have enough time. The photos aren't great, but I do like the very early Sound Blaster SB2.0 8-bit CT1350B. Needs some cleaning. Anyone know what those empty sockets are for on the that card? Seems that this model has those empty sockets. Maybe for later upgrades?

Some of this will end up in my hardware giveaway thread shortly. If any of you have a use for the 486 SX-25 CPU, PM me. I have no idea if it works and have not tested it so install it at your own risk. I don't trade or sell. I give it away as you all know so not to break the rules of this forum. Just like to find homes for this stuff so it is preserved and not recycled into oblivion.

The attachment DSC02281.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC02280.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC02282.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC02279.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC02283.JPG is no longer available

The MSI 745 Ultra (MS6561) motherboard that I purchased in this lot has a bulging cap next to the orange chipset heatsink. I have no time right now to do a recap and I am certainly not going to test it in that state. So if someone would like me to send them a motherboard that they want to recap themselves, it's yours. It looks to be in good cosmetic shape otherwise. Just PM me if you want it, otherwise it goes back to the recycle center. It will not have the CPU or memory in it. Just the motherboard and it's matching wire harness.

DSC02279.JPG
Filename
DSC02279.JPG
File size
686.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19487 of 52757, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
liqmat wrote:
Took this lot away for $10 from a newly discovered electronics recycle center within a quick driving distance from me. I'd say t […]
Show full quote

Took this lot away for $10 from a newly discovered electronics recycle center within a quick driving distance from me. I'd say that price was, well, amazing. There was tons more to cherry pick, but just didn't have enough time. The photos aren't great, but I do like the very early Sound Blaster SB2.0 8-bit CT1350B. Needs some cleaning. Anyone know what those empty sockets are for on the that card? Seems that this model has those empty sockets. Maybe for later upgrades?

Some of this will end up in my hardware giveaway thread shortly. If any of you have a use for the 486 SX-25 CPU, PM me. I have no idea if it works and have not tested it so install it at your own risk. I don't trade or sell. I give it away as you all know so not to break the rules of this forum. Just like to find homes for this stuff so it is preserved and not recycled into oblivion.

DSC02281.JPG
DSC02280.JPG
DSC02282.JPG
DSC02279.JPG
DSC02283.JPG

The MSI 745 Ultra (MS6561) motherboard that I purchased in this lot has a bulging cap next to the orange chipset heatsink. I have no time right now to do a recap and I am certainly not going to test it in that state. So if someone would like me to send them a motherboard that they want to recap themselves, it's yours. It looks to be in good cosmetic shape otherwise. Just PM me if you want it, otherwise it goes back to the recycle center. It will not have the CPU or memory in it. Just the motherboard and it's matching wire harness.

DSC02279.JPG

PM Sent.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19488 of 52757, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
probnot wrote:
Also, noticed this on the bottom. […]
Show full quote

Also, noticed this on the bottom.

ntMcrhbl.jpg?1

Either it was a sample, or maybe just for sale in Canada only?

Iirc it had something to do with patents or copyright..something or so.
I don't think it's a sample.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMC_Green_CPU

In 1994, Intel alleged that UMC had infringed upon its patent for the 80486 microprocessor and filed complaints against UMC and it's distributors.[7] UMC countered the claims with an anti-trust suit and the case was eventually settled out of court with UMC withdrawing their product and ceasing production of 80486-compatible microprocessors.

As a result of the dispute, all processors were prohibited from sale within the United States and were visibly labeled as such. Placement of this label varies, the ceramic U5S and U5D models typically display "Not for U.S. sale or import" as part of the silkscreen on the top of the chip where the U5SX and U5SD models usually had "NOT FOR U.S. SALE" printed onto the golden die cover on the underside of the package. This labeling is often absent from plastic packages.

A nice piece of history 😀 Just like FDIV Pentiums etc.

1982 to 2001

Reply 19489 of 52757, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received more PSX goodness: a SCPH-7502, two SCPH-5502s with sticker jobs, a SCPH-9002 (not pictured), a PSOne SCPH-102 (all modchipped), some original controllers, two Logic3 Justifier/GunCon-togglable lightguns, the PS2 IR receiver dongle, some cables (A/V, RGB SCART, SCART with breakout box), and a couple of games! The blackish 5502 came with a half-broken CD drive so I'm waiting for a new KSM440-ADM optical block for it. The 9002 is in almost perfect condition, as cool and quiet as a PSX can get while playing. They are all being thoroughly cleaned at the moment, one by one 🤣

Also got a rev 1.1 XBOX classic (Samsung drive) for dirt cheap. Came with the original Microsoft IR receiver on the fourth port. It powered on automatically when plugged and the front panel buttons weren't working. It had issues due to the clock aerogel supercap leaking electrolyte all over, destroying some traces. The first step was to get these lines reconnected with wire, as per this guide, to get rid of the front panel/power problems. Now the DVD drive needs some cleaning, as well as its rubber belt, since most of the time the tray refuses to open, and the last step will be a softmod or a TSOP flash, then a HDD replacement.

WP_20171010_002.jpg
Filename
WP_20171010_002.jpg
File size
155.87 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20171010_003.jpg
Filename
WP_20171010_003.jpg
File size
148.77 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20171010_004.jpg
Filename
WP_20171010_004.jpg
File size
151.49 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20171010_005.jpg
Filename
WP_20171010_005.jpg
File size
177.84 KiB
Views
File license
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 19490 of 52757, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got another "toy" to my GUS collection...
Compaq Ultrasound 32 Pro. - Clone of GUS PnP

Compaq Ultrasound 32 pro.jpg
Filename
File size
243.97 KiB
Views
File comment
Compaq Ultrasound 32 Pro
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 19491 of 52757, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

Just got another "toy" to my GUS collection...
Compaq Ultrasound 32 Pro. - Clone of GUS PnP

Oh Goodie! The picture looks like it is the same as my card, with 256k RAM onboard.

Everywhere I look, it says it has 512k RAM onboard.

See my in progress guide for setting up the card here:
STB Ultrasound 32 Pro (Compaq Interwave sound card) - The comprehensive guide

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19492 of 52757, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uh a UMC 486SX 33 is fast as a SX40. If you clock it at 50Mhz it can even beat a SX2 66.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 19493 of 52757, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cliffclaven wrote:

So much empty green space on that AOpen board. Like a miniature golf course.

Got those boards for almost nothing and it ends up that the AOpen board is like a cross between the Gateway branded Intel BX boards and the Intel D815EEA that I lost recently due to a short. It worked out perfect for my Win98SE project. It has AGP 2x like the BX boards, but Socket 370 and an extra PCI slot. I yanked it from another case at the recycle center because all its ports line up with the Gateway case which has the back panel welded on. Ends up the AX33 is one of my favorite Socket 370 boards by accident. Very configurable in the last 2001 BIOS release R1.09. You're right, though, the board has a lot of green space. Unfortunately that short also took out my P-III 1GHz Coppermine CPU, but I have another one on the way.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-10-12, 19:01. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19494 of 52757, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Spotted this pile of trash in classifieds (picture is actually from the ad):
4JeqOl4.jpg

I instantly jumped on it and bought the entire pile. Reason:
https://i.imgur.com/1ZqhGk1.jpg

I wish it works, I just need to order an adapter online to test it out.

Reply 19496 of 52757, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aop wrote:

Just FYI you can use a P&D -> VGA adapter if you don't need the audio ports.

Reply 19497 of 52757, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aop wrote:
Spotted this pile of trash in classifieds (picture is actually from the ad): […]
Show full quote

Spotted this pile of trash in classifieds (picture is actually from the ad):

I spotted that immediately. Nice find!

Honestly, those two boxed Radeons (assuming they are in there) are probably quite rare in box and likely worth a decent amount to collectors. I'd say those two are some of the few stand-out ATI cards from over the years. The 8500 was the first DirectX 8.1 graphics card and the 8xxx series were the only ones ever to support ATI's goofy "TruForm" tesselation, so if you want to see what your games look like when everything is made of balloons, that's one of the only cards that'll do it. And the 9800 Pro is obviously well known as a wonderful DirectX 9 card.

Also, the AGP card in the middle that's flipped over backward could be potentially interesting (or not at all)... I love those kinds of parts lots. Its like a treasure hunt. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 19498 of 52757, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dont know what happened but I got lot of gold this month

need repair some bent pins but nothing big

dscf6027re.jpg

finaly got socket 4 board, at start this MB f*k with me but now booting up

dscf6065re.jpg

VGA for HP RISC

dscf6076re.jpg

dscf6080re.jpg