VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25780 of 52764, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usability wise, it is pretty pointless. I only bought it for the oddware factor. As for the keyboard, I'll have to see what it is. If it is something rare, I'll leave it alone. Obviously I wouldn't paint something like an IBM SSK or equivalent. If it is just a cheap keyboard, I'll make it match the case. When I paint things, I don't do a hack job. I use automotive grade paint and make it look as close to an OEM type design as possible. A retrobrite gray/beige keyboard wouldn't really match this PC.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 25781 of 52764, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:

Usability wise, it is pretty pointless. I only bought it for the oddware factor. As for the keyboard, I'll have to see what it is. If it is something rare, I'll leave it alone. Obviously I wouldn't paint something like an IBM SSK or equivalent. If it is just a cheap keyboard, I'll make it match the case. When I paint things, I don't do a hack job. I use automotive grade paint and make it look as close to an OEM type design as possible. A retrobrite gray/beige keyboard wouldn't really match this PC.

Ah, I understand; it's definitely odd and it looks awesome as well. I'm very happy to hear that you appreciate the retro parts and of course I understand that a beige keyboard wouldn't match with your case at all. 😉

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 25782 of 52764, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

finally 😀 i looked for this board since a long time. 1995 allstar.

intel advanced/zp (zappa):
intel oem/reference board
real socket 5
one of the first triton board
with old school wb cache (ca 5-10% slower, than the later pb cache boards) - that was typical in 1995
with normal battery
p133 is the max supported cpu, it is rare at the zappa boards (p133 + 32m edo on the picture)

a spent more time with the cleaning, and realign the pins.

Attachments

• 20181023_195137.jpg
    Filename
    20181023_195137.jpg
    File size
    590.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 25783 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No hardware, but hardware related.

I have been working on getting all the material I can find about the Aria 16 based sound cards.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and put in the request for access to some files that George Sanger had submitted to an archival site.

Got approval and he even sent me an email asking why I was interested in those files.

I had an idea from the file name list, but I verified a couple of them and am happy I was right.

The biggies so far are:
1. Source code for MIDITSR 1.40.
2. Source code for the AIRIA 16 Midpak/AIL sound driver. (version 2.14a) The stock one released as open source by John Miles is 2.14 and doesn't have the ARIA 16 code in it. This one is a modified 2.14 that has the code for the ARIA 16 which was added by somebody at Sierra Semiconductors.

I got permission from George Sanger to include the files in my project/review for the ARIA 16 based cards. I still have to get official approval from the archival site, but they are just going to verify permission with George Sanger from what I understand.

So I am pretty stoked right now.

The only thing that would make me even happier for this project is the SDK packages for the ARIA 16 based cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25784 of 52764, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Strahssis wrote:

I don't know why you would want an built in CRT display usability-wise, but I think it looks really cool! 😀
I wouldn't customize the keyboard though, I myself always like to keep these arts of history in their original glory; if anything at all, retro-bright it. 😉

I'd say it's on a par with a Compaq Portable II or an IBM 5155, or a Kaypro II, or an SX-64. Oh yeah... and the Macintosh.

Actually, I've thought about getting a modern 9-or-10 inch LCD displays and sticking it in one of those cube-style ATX cases. While it may not be a good idea for a primary monitor, as a secondary monitor it might be useful. Especially if the screen is capacitive. You can have all your controls on the small screen while working on artwork or design on the main display. Or, if you were doing 3D rendering, you could have the output of test renders go to the small display while working on the large display, sort of a thumbnail reference. And I'd bet it could be useful for gaming, too. Again, as a secondary display.

Reply 25785 of 52764, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Also Windows SideShow... yet another of those obscure Windows things that didn't go anywhere, but would have made such a tiny secondary display useful.

Reply 25786 of 52764, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nabbed this off Craigslist the other day:

New FireMV.jpg
Filename
New FireMV.jpg
File size
193.44 KiB
Views
File license

Yep, it's another FirePro MV 2260 PCI, this time with the full-size bracket.

So now I have two of these bizarre things, and if you think I'm not gonna try to Crossfire them, feel free to believe what you want. 😜

This next one is a dumpster find, but I don't feel like making a second post in the other thread. Speaking of things I now have two of, I was in the recycling depot and somebody was about to heave a pair of these Altec Lansing AVS200s in minty shape, so I snaked them instead. With "manual" even. They look (and sound) barely used.

Altec Lansing speakers.jpg
Filename
Altec Lansing speakers.jpg
File size
202.07 KiB
Views
File license

They are surprisingly good little desktop speakers, and way better than the built-in crap in the laptop behind them which gives me ear fatigue after about 30 seconds.

With the second matching pair I already had, I'm thinking of an evenly-balanced quadrophonic sound setup... 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25787 of 52764, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote:

I'd say it's on a par with a Compaq Portable II or an IBM 5155, or a Kaypro II, or an SX-64. Oh yeah... and the Macintosh.

Actually, I've thought about getting a modern 9-or-10 inch LCD displays and sticking it in one of those cube-style ATX cases. While it may not be a good idea for a primary monitor, as a secondary monitor it might be useful. Especially if the screen is capacitive. You can have all your controls on the small screen while working on artwork or design on the main display. Or, if you were doing 3D rendering, you could have the output of test renders go to the small display while working on the large display, sort of a thumbnail reference. And I'd bet it could be useful for gaming, too. Again, as a secondary display.

That's actually a good idea! However as stated before; we should leave the arts of the past in it's original glory. I'm personally against modifying hardware this rare and old. 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 25788 of 52764, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Western Digital Caviar 2700 730M

i think, originally it was black in 1994, and they released the silver version in 1995. anyway - the model number / color code is same, not like at the black 31000 vs silver 21000.
it will be fine for my dx4.

Logitech SoundMan 16 aka Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum 16 Basic

ive never had an audiospectrum. 😀

Attachments

• 20181023_195453.jpg
    Filename
    20181023_195453.jpg
    File size
    480.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20181023_195759.jpg
    Filename
    20181023_195759.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25789 of 52764, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No OPL3 on this card I guess? How does it FM Synthesis sound?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25790 of 52764, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

left upper side - genuine yamaha

Reply 25791 of 52764, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

left upper side - genuine yamaha

Oh I completely missed that.. Never saw a YMF chip located so far out. Looks like a very decent card.

Reply 25792 of 52764, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So some time ago I bought some hardware on an auctionsite but the seller did not want to ship them. So a friend of mine who lives nearby the seller picked them up. And today he was passing where I live and dropped them of.

Some pci graphics. Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, 2x S3 virge dx and ATI 3d rage II+dvd.

IMG_1150s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1150s.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license

External Cd-burner 😀

IMG_1151s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1151s.jpg
File size
937.97 KiB
Views
File license

One of the S3 virge cards has a 3.5mm jack, for what? 😕

EDIT: Some googling later I found an identical card with silkscreen saying "s3 mpeg audio" by the 3.5mm jack.

Reply 25793 of 52764, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vegge wrote:

One of the S3 virge cards has a 3.5mm jack, for what? 😕

EDIT: Some googling later I found an identical card with silkscreen saying "s3 mpeg audio" by the 3.5mm jack.

The 3.5 jack is for audio out in the case you add a Scenic MPEG decoder daughterboard to it. You route the audio out to sound card line in.

Reply 25794 of 52764, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By pure coincidence this board(+manual) kept finding me.

After I lost the smaller(and excellent) GA-5AA due to a, presumably, too hungry AGP card(unnecessary foolishness on my part as it [maybe] could have been repaired) back in 2012 I stopped pursueing Super7 boards and instead got some 486 tech that I find way MORE instriguing and enjoyable.

I already have an ASUS P5-A which is quite a gem but does not support Tillamook Cpus. Finally I may be able to build a "nuclear"-powered Tillamook/SS7 combo with the Gigabyte board - we'll see.

I heard/read that the "best" SS7-board is an EPOX one, albeit I may have mixed things up. Latter being sold on ebay but a bit too steep for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2199.jpg
    File size
    737.52 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25795 of 52764, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I got 15 IDE cables, 5 floppy cables, 5 floppy drives, 2 DVD-RW drives and 2 SDRams for 10 EUR. Hope I didn't pay too much...

Attachments

• IMG_7478.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_7478.jpg
    File size
    394.09 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25796 of 52764, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I have one of those mice but no drivers. Can you upload the drivers ?

I received my mouse today and its in excellent condition! The box is in great shape as well. As a bonus it came with a wad of advertisements from a company called Complete Computer Services Inc. from Burlingame, CA.. They tout the amazing ability to actually do CAD on your PC with a Logitech C7 and "CCS Designer" for a fraction of the price of other options. It says the price of the mouse is "normally" $120 from IBM but can be had from them for only $89.95 in 1987 dollars... which is equivalent to $200 today! It also has a contest you can enter but the entry must been sent in by June 30th 1987. Pretty crazy to think I was one year old when this stuff was first used. Sadly, the box mentions that it now comes with a 9 pin to 25 pin serial adapter... but it isn't in the box, and neither are the original disks, so I'm sure they were lost ages ago. I actually need that 25 pin adapter for my IBM. 😉

I've attached the contents of the two copied disks that came with the mouse. It contains Disk 1 and Disk 2 of Logitech's version 3.2 driver and other software.

Attachments

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 25798 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Orchid Gamewave 32 with Invision ROMS.

Orchid_GameWave_32_With_Invision_ROMS.jpg
Filename
Orchid_GameWave_32_With_Invision_ROMS.jpg
File size
384.6 KiB
Views