VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29860 of 52767, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome find. Always great to be able to relive your first/early PCs.

oCBQ8awm.jpg

The 9800GT came today. Repasted it cause who knows what it's been through.

ofjzH0Am.jpg

Other side. Pretty clean unit.

P8yJdFam.jpg

Ports!

UlAqCSFm.jpg

Specs and the machine it's being used on... not bad for $14 shipped!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 29861 of 52767, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

This is the very last Yamaha YMF71x model that uses the ISA bus. It is derived (I think) from the 715, which added 3D audio capabilities. Basically a standalone card version of the Yamaha DS-1 chipset which was integrated into many Socket 7 motherboards back then.
The computers that came with these on the motherboard or as standalone cards normally advertized the sound card of the computer as "Yamaha 3D Sound Engine" or similar.

Is it something that I should put in to a system?

Grzyb wrote:

"YAMAHA 3D AXRA/3 GIRL"
There are sound cards especially for girls??? 😁

That is part of what confused me.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 29862 of 52767, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

This is the very last Yamaha YMF71x model that uses the ISA bus. It is derived (I think) from the 715, which added 3D audio capabilities. Basically a standalone card version of the Yamaha DS-1 chipset which was integrated into many Socket 7 motherboards back then.
The computers that came with these on the motherboard or as standalone cards normally advertized the sound card of the computer as "Yamaha 3D Sound Engine" or similar.

Is it something that I should put in to a system?

I don't see why not. It is an OPL3-SAx capable Yamaha Chipset that is compatible with SBPro and Windows Sound System, ergo great for both DOS games and Windows 9x. It does not sound quite the same as the YMF262, but has good sound quality and does feature a wavetable header as well... What else could one ask for. The close sister chip, the YMF718E was used in the Audacian 32, which was a renowned card for the aforementioned features as well.

Reply 29863 of 52767, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't usually listen to jazz, but when I do it's this...

Also this PAS16 apparently is LMSI version withouth LMSI header... strange

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_222555.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190819_222555.jpg
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29865 of 52767, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I don't see why not. It is an OPL3-SAx capable Yamaha Chipset that is compatible with SBPro and Windows Sound System, ergo great for both DOS games and Windows 9x. It does not sound quite the same as the YMF262, but has good sound quality and does feature a wavetable header as well... What else could one ask for. The close sister chip, the YMF718E was used in the Audacian 32, which was a renowned card for the aforementioned features as well.

In my case, I probably won’t be using the wave table stuff because of my SC-55 being readily available, but thanks for the response. I’ll clean it up and bend the few bent pins back in to shape.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 29866 of 52767, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/oCBQ8awm.jpg […]
Show full quote

oCBQ8awm.jpg

I like the lime green with black color combination.

Reply 29867 of 52767, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/oCBQ8awm.jpg […]
Show full quote

oCBQ8awm.jpg

I like the lime green with black color combination.

Thanks! I was surprised it could actually do a few Gamecube games on Dolphin

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 29868 of 52767, by 4X Overclock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Here is an example:

OMG, we had that one.
Don't remember the case, but the specs. Pentium MMX 166, 32MB RAM, 2,1GB HDD and a Yamaha soundcard. Onboard graphics should be ATI Rage.
Doubt there was another Medion PC with the exact same specs.

Reply 29869 of 52767, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't buy them but just going though my cpu pile. Two interesting cpus. Hypertech MxPro200 designed to replace P75s-P166 non mmx class cpus and a Kingstone 5x86 TurboChip for upgrading 486SX/DX cpus.

20190820_144503[1].jpg
Filename
20190820_144503[1].jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license

Looks like the MxPro is the same as the Evergreen upgrade using a WinChip C6 cpu and maxes out at 233Mhz. The TurboChip uses an AMD DX5-133 cpu and can max out at 160Mhz.

Useful upgrade cpu site http://cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html .No mention of Hypertech though which was an Australian outfit. I also have:

20190820_152449[1].jpg
Filename
20190820_152449[1].jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

Also based on the AMD DX5-133. Otherside of the box:

20190820_154623[1].jpg
Filename
20190820_154623[1].jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-08-20, 04:02. Edited 3 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 29870 of 52767, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

This is the very last Yamaha YMF71x model that uses the ISA bus. ...

The very last is YMF741, but I don't know what the difference is. anyway YMF711 is same as YMF718 (OPL3-SA2) and YMF715 is same as YMF719 (OPL3-SA3), there's no letter version, B, E and F versions out there. 711/718 adds PnP and IRQ sharing over 701 (OPS3-SA), 715/9 adds Ymersion and changes VREF from 2.0V to 2.5V thereby increasing headroom, B adds tone controls and Ymersion types, E adds ability to read back configuration selection pins and F I have seen in a Toshiba laptop but I couldn't identify any differences. The laptop won't run with older chips so there must be some difference somewhere. 741 identifies itself as 715E/719E and i haven't identified further differences, maybe it is a lowest power version (a Japanese site calls it OPL3-SA3L).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 29871 of 52767, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
After a load of waiting from hermes to deliver this case, i'm really happy to finally have found this case in good condition. Th […]
Show full quote

After a load of waiting from hermes to deliver this case, i'm really happy to finally have found this case in good condition. This case was what house my very first PC so i'm very happy 😀

3Yf84Xvl.jpg

I have that same case.

Pro's
It's small
modular design easy upgrade / repair.

Con's
thin cheap sheet metal.

Thicker sheet metal would have made this a better case.
The design is okay.

See my build here:
AMD5x86-133mhz P75 Restore

and

AMD 5x86@160mhz., Media Vision PAS16. ( Win 95 )

Reply 29872 of 52767, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
4X Overclock wrote:
OMG, we had that one. Don't remember the case, but the specs. Pentium MMX 166, 32MB RAM, 2,1GB HDD and a Yamaha soundcard. Onboa […]
Show full quote
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Here is an example:

OMG, we had that one.
Don't remember the case, but the specs. Pentium MMX 166, 32MB RAM, 2,1GB HDD and a Yamaha soundcard. Onboard graphics should be ATI Rage.
Doubt there was another Medion PC with the exact same specs.

I actually just half a year ago got this exact machine. (The Medion one) Complete with monitor, keyboard and mouse. Exactly as pictured (see attachment). The original board that came with it sadly was a dud (It indeed features an onboard AT Rage II + DVD. The replacement board that was built into the machine is a Gigabyte GA-586ATX revision 3.0

Tiido wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

This is the very last Yamaha YMF71x model that uses the ISA bus. ...

The very last is YMF741, but I don't know what the difference is. anyway YMF711 is same as YMF718 (OPL3-SA2) and YMF715 is same as YMF719 (OPL3-SA3), there's no letter version, B, E and F versions out there. 711/718 adds PnP and IRQ sharing over 701 (OPS3-SA), 715/9 adds Ymersion and changes VREF from 2.0V to 2.5V thereby increasing headroom, B adds tone controls and Ymersion types, E adds ability to read back configuration selection pins and F I have seen in a Toshiba laptop but I couldn't identify any differences. The laptop won't run with older chips so there must be some difference somewhere. 741 identifies itself as 715E/719E and i haven't identified further differences, maybe it is a lowest power version (a Japanese site calls it OPL3-SA3L).

Yeah the last YMF71x that uses the ISA bus. But as always, you are totally correct. You walking sound card encyclopedia, you. 😀

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1000.jpg
    File size
    54.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 29873 of 52767, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

I don't usually listen to jazz, but when I do it's this...

Hey, I do take that personally!

I hoped you will ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29874 of 52767, by 4X Overclock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I actually just half a year ago got this exact machine. (The Medion one) Complete with monitor, keyboard and mouse. Exactly as pictured (see attachment). The original board that came with it sadly was a dud (It indeed features an onboard AT Rage II + DVD. The replacement board that was built into the machine is a Gigabyte GA-586ATX revision 3.0

Did some research. I know why I don't recognize the case.

This machine was only sold in southern Germany. In northern Germany it was rebranded to Lifetec. This was the very first Pentium PC sold at Aldi. People stood in line for it, like for a new iPhone. It was sold out in less than a day. My mom had some connection, so we didn't have to stand in line.

The following years, Lifetec vanished and was replaced by Medion in all of Germany. Everyone knows: If it's a Medion, it's from Aldi. 🤣 These days Medion is a synonym for crappy PC.
I wonder: Are Medion PCs sold in other countries as well?

Reply 29875 of 52767, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
4X Overclock wrote:

These days Medion is a synonym for crappy PC.

That's complete nonsense. Medion PCs were never considered "crappy". In fact, they are often recommended due to their very good value-for-money ratio.

Oh, and btw, these days, Medion belongs to Lenovo.

Reply 29876 of 52767, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
dionb wrote:

Ooh, pics plz once they arrive. Sounds like fun! 😜

Yes, also looking forward for your pics 😀

postman hates me 🤣

hardware24_01.jpg
Filename
hardware24_01.jpg
File size
75.68 KiB
Views
File license

do you like In-wins? cause I like In-wins 😀

hardware24_02.jpg
Filename
hardware24_02.jpg
File size
88.78 KiB
Views
File license

the case on the left is very very similar to the one I bought for my first own PC in 1998 (mine had a non-textured power button and a single U-shaped panel instead of split panels, otherwise it's the same, I had two different cases before that, but those were shared computers not my "own") unfortunately there's some specks of rust on the back... going to need to fix that, this one is going to house the original configuration I had back then, have collected all the hardware I need for it already.

the 2nd one I got mainly for the travan drive, and I like the case, unfortunately the panel doesn't seem to fit correctly (already fixed the bent tabs, but it still doesn't close)

and three In-wins 😀
my "second" case was an In-win S500 that I still own, unfortunately that one is heavily modded ^^
I had an In-win Q500 already leftover from the old office, but that got thrown out several years ago (not by me 🙁) now it's back in my collection ^^
my slot A build is probably going into one of the A500s

and also a bunch of other hardware... will report back with the contents of those cases (there's a surprise in there somewhere) and stuff later when I had time to go through it 😀

...my shoulder also hates me right now

Last edited by imi on 2019-08-20, 16:38. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 29877 of 52767, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they might not be average but in terms of quality, Medion generally resides around the median of the quality scale.

okay i'll be quiet now

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 29878 of 52767, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
4X Overclock wrote:

These days Medion is a synonym for crappy PC.

That's complete nonsense. Medion PCs were never considered "crappy". In fact, they are often recommended due to their very good value-for-money ratio.

Oh, and btw, these days, Medion belongs to Lenovo.

I am using a Medion i3 notebook daily, also for gaming. It has Intel HD 3000 4gig of ram and i3 2310m. I bought it from a friend without HDD. Installing Win 7 was a bit hard, because after reinstall I could not update drivers - the Wifi antenne cables were damaged and without drivers USB ports were useless and I was too lazy to remove the HDD and copy the files which I found online so I burned them on CD and copied from disc 😁 It was a weird feel to burn in Ashampoo after 6-7 years 🤣. I am using it daily about 3 years without porblems - I open it up once a year to change thermal paste and clean fan. Also batter holds about 2,5 -3 hours. Only problem is the damaged case so I cant close it, but for 20 euros its okay 😜 I can upgrade ram but i have 32bit installed and as i mentioned sometimes too lazy 😎

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 29879 of 52767, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, nowadays the quality-to-price ratio can vary when it comes to Medion products. This was not the case back then in 1997. Back then their PCs were considered very good. I mean, besides the branding of a monitor and the branding on a case there is nothing from Medion here, all parts from the shelf.

There was a reason ppl stood in line for that particular model that I posted last page, because the quality-to-price ratio on this one was through the roof..... THROUGH THE ROOF, I TELL YOU!

More than 200.000 Units were sold in one day. There were no fisty-cuffs or other felonies. But ppl stood patiently in very, very, very long lines that day.
There was one rumor of a guy apparently running away with one of the last machines, which later turned out to be false.