VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 52614, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 3850 too. It's really not that hot. I have a Accelero S1 on it with no fan. At idle it uses just a bit more than the 4670.

I like to look at these cards like this.

2900XT  3870  4670

Speed 100% 95% 100%

Power 100% 60% 40%

Bandwidth 100% 50% 25%

😁

BTW the 5670 is kinda like a 4670 but with GDDR5 it essentially has that 256-bit bus.

Reply 82 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the late reply, got quite busy weekend....

Amigaz wrote:

@Kreshna

You bought it to have another backup card or you plan putting your V5500 in a frame for pure display? 😁

Backup card. This one comes without box, and I already have a V5500 with a pretty good box for display.

Besides, I always need spare cards for practice anyway (heatsink removal, that is). 😁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 83 of 52614, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exxe wrote:
to many for me.... 5500 i also have some backup cards […]
Show full quote
F2bnp wrote:

There was also a Voodoo 5 5000 on sale the other day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3DFX-Voodoo-5-5000-PCI- … =item45f315eb0a

Damn that's a lot of money...

to many for me....
5500 i also have some backup cards

get this slotadapter last week
img_7643-b48k5.jpg

ooo I'm actually still looking for one of those. One of those with a PPro overdrive in an LX board for ultimate 1337ness!!!11 😜

Reply 85 of 52614, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a NEC XR385 (DB60XG clone) MIDI board for $17 shipped.
Haven't tried it out yet, I have a SB32 I might slap it on. Think the SB32 + XR385 would be a better setup then my SB64 Gold?

nec_xr385.jpg

Reply 86 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

Picked up a NEC XR385 (DB60XG clone) MIDI board for $17 shipped.
Haven't tried it out yet, I have a SB32 I might slap it on. Think the SB32 + XR385 would be a better setup then my SB64 Gold?

Depends. AWE64 Gold has less hissing noise than AWE32, and the analog sound quality is somewhat better due to RCA output (compared to mini-stereo output of a typical sound card).

But when it goes to MIDI, a DB60XG clone beats AWE hands down.

Where did you buy the Fallout action figure, by the way? 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 88 of 52614, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

Think the SB32 + XR385 would be a better setup then my SB64 Gold?

Yes, better MIDI quality.

And yes, as Nurzaman said, the AWE64Gold has much better sound output compared to a AWE32/SB32 - a lot less hiss; negligible/unappreciated in certain speaker setup.

I ended up using AWE32 in my "main" classic machine - expandability - SIMMS and MIDI Daughterboard. I bought a high quality audio cable with good insulation just for the AWE32. The difference in muffling the hiss is very noticable.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 89 of 52614, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where did you buy the Fallout action figure, by the way?

It came with a Collector's Edition of Fallout 3. I had one too, but one of my coworkers thought it would be funny to hold it by the base and wiggle it around. Needless to say, it broke.

Reply 90 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Think the SB32 + XR385 would be a better setup then my SB64 Gold?

Yes, better MIDI quality.

And yes, as Nurzaman said, the AWE64Gold has much better sound output compared to a AWE32/SB32 - a lot less hiss; negligible/unappreciated in certain speaker setup.

Yup. I'm still not sure if the less noise is due to the gold connectors, or simply because it makes it possible to use RCA cables, which is beefier and (usually) more insulated than mini stereo cables.

Malik wrote:

I ended up using AWE32 in my "main" classic machine - expandability - SIMMS and MIDI Daughterboard.

Yes. separate MIDI card (like SW60XG or SCC-1) consumes more ISA slot, and propetiary RAM expansion for AWE64 series is quite hard to find. Not to mention the size is quite limited, while IIRC generic EDO RAM for AWE32 series enables us to expand the memory to 32 megabytes!

On the other hand, MIDI daughterboard doesn't play well with CH throttle. That's why I had to stick to SW60XG and AWE64 Gold. 😖

Malik wrote:

I bought a high quality audio cable with good insulation just for the AWE32. The difference in muffling the hiss is very noticable.

While we're at it....

It seems many sound cards are quite noisy and hissy due to poor circuitry, and/or the inherent noises in a PC box. I wonder: how much can a tube filter help? It primarily works as noise filter, although stereo snobs claim that it also makes digital music as warm as vinyl (I am an stereo snob, but not that snob 😉 ) due to the tubes. Wonder how FM music or MT-32 music would sound with tube amplifier.

Reply 91 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Where did you buy the Fallout action figure, by the way?

It came with a Collector's Edition of Fallout 3. I had one too, but one of my coworkers thought it would be funny to hold it by the base and wiggle it around. Needless to say, it broke.

Time to go postal at your coworker then.... 🙁

Reply 92 of 52614, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Just wonder; do we need a separate "recent acquisition thread" for hardware? I just feel not right to post hardware purchases […]
Show full quote

Just wonder; do we need a separate "recent acquisition thread" for hardware? I just feel not right to post hardware purchases on this thread.

Nonetheless, I just won these. Heee-haw! 😀

F22TQSER-buy01-pic01.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic02.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic03.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic04.jpg

Gonna play some Mech Warrior? 😁

Reply 93 of 52614, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
I have a 3850 too. It's really not that hot. I have a Accelero S1 on it with no fan. At idle it uses just a bit more than the 46 […]
Show full quote

I have a 3850 too. It's really not that hot. I have a Accelero S1 on it with no fan. At idle it uses just a bit more than the 4670.

I like to look at these cards like this.

2900XT  3870  4670

Speed 100% 95% 100%

Power 100% 60% 40%

Bandwidth 100% 50% 25%

😁

BTW the 5670 is kinda like a 4670 but with GDDR5 it essentially has that 256-bit bus.

Where would you put a 4850 1gb on that scale?

Reply 94 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Gonna play some Mech Warrior? 😁

Actually, it is Longbow 2 and Total Air War, but MechWarrior 2 is indeed great with joystick/throttle/pedal. For the game, however, I replace the F-16 FLCS/TQS with Saitek X36 joystick/throttle. The X36 futuristic shape and "hefty" feels make it better for such giant robot game.

The bad news is: I still haven't figured how to use a separate rudder pedals with the X36. 😖

Reply 96 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just received a pair of Diamond Monster MX300 I bought on ebay.

diamond-mx300-buy03-buy04-pic01.jpg

Reply 97 of 52614, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres a voodoo 5 PCI for sale on Ebay right now with 45 minutes left and a bid of about $6. Seller only ships to US and Canada so price may stay low

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Dfx-VOODOO-5-5500-DVI-mo … =item2eaeb41a64

Reply 98 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS --stick only. I'm always looking for "stick only" F-16 FLCS, because I always try to have at least two joysticks for a single throttle. Joystick worn faster than throttle.

Thus, if you have F-16 FLCS sans throttle, and you won't want those sticks anymore, I'm always happy to buy.

thrustmasterf16flcs-stickonly-buy01-pic02.jpg

thrustmasterf16flcs-stickonly-buy01-pic01.jpg

thrustmasterf16flcs-stickonly-buy01-pic03.jpg

Reply 99 of 52614, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've also won a pair of Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback. Not for collection, but for immediate use.

thrustmastertopgunffb-buy01-pic01.jpg