Topic actions

Reply 13920 of 52742, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😠 🤣

kithylin wrote:

<snip> boo it's a Cyrix. Thought it was an actual IBM chip or something special. <snip>

1982 to 2001

Reply 13921 of 52742, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote:
Got a bit lucky today: scored nice bunch of motherboards as a bulk deal: […]
Show full quote

Got a bit lucky today: scored nice bunch of motherboards as a bulk deal:

*MSI MS-4145 486 PCI board
*GA486AM/S 486 PCI board with 120 MHz AMD CPU
*few more 486 boards, with ISA and VLB

Tested the 486 PCI boards, all of them fire up nicely, most of them have AWARD BIOS.

Niiice. 486 is awesome 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13922 of 52742, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was gifted this Trident Blade3D vga, no idea if it's any good:

Oo07le1l.jpg

edit:
it's 8MB and DOS/2D performance is in the range of S3 Trio64v cards... maybe it has some interesting 3D capabilities but I am not that curious to find out 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13923 of 52742, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any compatibility issues with titles in pure Dos?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13924 of 52742, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Our favorite test matrix* mentions Duke3D glitches, but it would be great to verify this.
*http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13925 of 52742, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a quick test with Phil's bench suite, nothing strange to report brostenen , the test matrix gdjacobs mentions is the way to go 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13926 of 52742, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. Good to know. I will remember to snatch one up, if they pop up locally.

Reply 13927 of 52742, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

edit:
it's 8MB and DOS/2D performance is in the range of S3 Trio64v cards... maybe it has some interesting 3D capabilities but I am not that curious to find out 🤣

Pretty gelous of that blade 3d. I've been looking for one for a while no with no luck. There's plenty of the shitty 9850, but no 9880's in romania sadly... and I'm not willing to pay 20$ shipping for it.

Got a EVGA 8800GTX card from a friend today. He told me it was defective, and upon closer inspection I noticed one of the three SMD aluminum180uf 16v capacitors from the end of the card was missing. I took one of a dead 8800GTX and the card posted just fine. No artifacts, and it does 76C tops so temps are better then my leadtek 8800gts. Resoldering it was a bitch since the cap would not come off the donor card in one piece - one of the legs broke off and I had to fabricate one out of a small piece of copper wire.

Finally, a WORKING 8800GTX!

WiZXGwNl.jpg

I also found a dirt cheap 3850x2 with twin zalman coolers - only 15$ - unfortunately the SC-55 I bought a couple of weeks ago severely dented my wallet so I can't afford to buy it. Hope it will still be available next week...

Reply 13928 of 52742, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FINALLY got an ADB mouse for my PowerMac 7200 for a price I was willing to pay (i.e. not "Mac collector" price.) The machine is basically a doorstop without one. Picked up some original equipment for my G4 cube too.

keyb-1.jpg
Filename
keyb-1.jpg
File size
185.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
keyb-2.jpg
Filename
keyb-2.jpg
File size
120.19 KiB
Views
File license

I love how in Apple speak, white = "Mouse", black = "Pro Mouse." They're identical.

The dumb part is I actually really like the things. If Apple had gotten with the program and built them with MORE THAN ONE BUTTON I would use them on everything.

The guy had, among other things, a really-rough-but-apparently-working Mac SE/30 too. I probably could have gotten it for cheeeeeeap but I left it there. Have too many old Macs kicking around I'll never actually use. Maybe I'll go back if he hasn't sold it by this weekend, but I'm kinda hoping he does so I don't have to worry about it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13930 of 52742, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
FINALLY got an ADB mouse for my PowerMac 7200 for a price I was willing to pay (i.e. not "Mac collector" price.) The machine is […]
Show full quote

FINALLY got an ADB mouse for my PowerMac 7200 for a price I was willing to pay (i.e. not "Mac collector" price.) The machine is basically a doorstop without one. Picked up some original equipment for my G4 cube too.

keyb-1.jpg
keyb-2.jpg

I love how in Apple speak, white = "Mouse", black = "Pro Mouse." They're identical.

The dumb part is I actually really like the things. If Apple had gotten with the program and built them with MORE THAN ONE BUTTON I would use them on everything.

The guy had, among other things, a really-rough-but-apparently-working Mac SE/30 too. I probably could have gotten it for cheeeeeeap but I left it there. Have too many old Macs kicking around I'll never actually use. Maybe I'll go back if he hasn't sold it by this weekend, but I'm kinda hoping he does so I don't have to worry about it.

That ADB Mouse is one of my favorites from the nineties. Its ball placement is towards the front, which made it a more accurate mouse to use with Photoshop at the time. I only replaced it when my co-worker brought in a Logitech with a scroll wheel, which opened my eyes.

I have several of those Apple's "Pro" Mouse in storage.... I'm not a fan of any of Apple's mice or keyboards from the iMac on and wished they hadn't included them with my Mac purchases over the years. Even while working for others, Apple's included mice always got thrown in a desk drawer and never used... Fast forward and all of Apple's input devices are atrocious IMO. I think whoever is designing them does not have have a wrist and fingers, but tentacles and wishes carpal tunnel on all humans. 😖

I have lots of old Mac software and one of these days I'm going to invest in an old beige Power Mac again just for the sake of nostalgia. The 7200 is a nice desktop case! 😀

Reply 13931 of 52742, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

stamasd:

Mmmm.... Banshee. 😜
Missing one my self in my collection,

Reply 13932 of 52742, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

stamasd:

Mmmm.... Banshee. 😜
Missing one my self in my collection,

I've got 2 now, one PCI one AGP.
Trying to install the Evolution Banshee drivers in W98 however leads to an unusable machine (freezes soon after getting to desktop). Will have to remove them in safe mode and try the reference driver instead.

(edit) the last reference driver works great, but uninstalling the Evolution driver was a pain. Required about 20 reboots with fiddling in-between. I now recall well why it was called "driver hell" in those days. Got 4285 score in Futuremark '99.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-09-29, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13933 of 52742, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

received this sound card this morning :

9DMor8Zh.jpg

A re-branded SB2.0 to take advantage of the Quickshot name. Added the C/MS chipset and all work great 😀
I am really pleased of how it sounds with really old titles, I used to own several 8bit SBs over the years but never payed real attention to them and so they were sold... should have known better 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 13934 of 52742, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, just ordered yet another thing for the ol' Power Mac, complete in box to boot, but I won't confirm it as a sale until it's in my hands and I can take some nice pictures for all of you.

This old 6500 is gonna be a money sink at this rate, but alas, I'm in a "let's learn about old Macintoshes and the games you could play on them!" mood.

Lukeno94 wrote:

Can't think of ANY vaguely mainstream computer of that vintage - or even significantly older - that is legitimately worth $600!

IIRC, one of my friends paid $700 to import a Sharp X68000 XVI. Just the tower, no accessories, and it's not even the most powerful of that computer line, which would be the X68030.

I yearn to own one of those machines one day, but the prices make AGA Amigas (A1200, A4000) look cheap! I guess that's what happens when there's a 680x0 computer that mops the floor with every other system built on that architecture and it's exclusive to Japan.

BloodyCactus wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote:

I also revisited these two Power Mac G5 towers that have been sitting on top of the "overpriced kitsch" display case for more than a month. They're priced at $600 each and they're not even quads, just 2GHz boxes with scuffs and scratches that are a hard sell for $150 on Craigslist.

I have one going into the dumpster, I had it to sometimes run MorphOS, but its so big useless.. weighs like 10000lbs so no good shipping it. ugh. so hard to get rid of these things.

Going to the dumpster? Aw, what a waste! Can't even give it away on craigslist or something? I'm sure someone would gladly take a free Mac, no matter how obsolete! Heck, I'd pick it up if I lived close enough!

Reply 13935 of 52742, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this delivered through the mail today. I really hope this works, because it was shipped, just wrapped in non-esr bubble wrap and plastic wrapping (the kind of wrapping that are used for food). Anyway... It's an CL-5440 PCI wich I have high hope for, when it comes to DOS compatibility. Looks brand new, as I can not see any PCI-slot teath marks on it. And it is really clean. (I wonder if it was tested at all, as the seller told)

Attachments

• CL-5440.jpg
    Filename
    CL-5440.jpg
    File size
    139.85 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13936 of 52742, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Got this delivered through the mail today. I really hope this works, because it was shipped, just wrapped in non-esr bubble wrap and plastic wrapping (the kind of wrapping that are used for food). Anyway... It's an CL-5440 PCI wich I have high hope for, when it comes to DOS compatibility. Looks brand new, as I can not see any PCI-slot teath marks on it. And it is really clean. (I wonder if it was tested at all, as the seller told)

Nice!

I also got two CL PCI cards the other day. Haven't tested much though. The higher model numbers perform nicely though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13937 of 52742, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Nice!

I also got two CL PCI cards the other day. Haven't tested much though. The higher model numbers perform nicely though.

I have two 5446 cards, each with 1meg on them. They have quirks in some games though.
Not that they are bad cards, they just remind me of S3-325 virge cards, if we look at compatibility.
Personally, I prefer CL cards in MS-Dos 6.22. They give (to me) a more pleasant image.

Reply 13938 of 52742, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Personally, I prefer CL cards in MS-Dos 6.22. They give (to me) a more pleasant image.

I noticed that too. My two DOS computers share the same monitor via KVM switch. The DX2-66 has a CL-GD5428 VLB and the POD200 has a TNT2 M64 PCI. If I load the same game on both and switch back and forth, the CL is brighter with warmer, richer colors.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13939 of 52742, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Pretty gelous of that blade 3d. I've been looking for one for a while no with no luck. There's plenty of the shitty 9850, but no […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

edit:

Pretty gelous of that blade 3d. I've been looking for one for a while no with no luck. There's plenty of the shitty 9850, but no 9880's in romania sadly... and I'm not willing to pay 20$ shipping for it.

Got a EVGA 8800GTX card from a friend today. He told me it was defective, and upon closer inspection I noticed one of the three SMD aluminum180uf 16v capacitors from the end of the card was missing. I took one of a dead 8800GTX and the card posted just fine. No artifacts, and it does 76C tops so temps are better then my leadtek 8800gts. Resoldering it was a bitch since the cap would not come off the donor card in one piece - one of the legs broke off and I had to fabricate one out of a small piece of copper wire.

Finally, a WORKING 8800GTX!

WiZXGwNl.jpg

I also found a dirt cheap 3850x2 with twin zalman coolers - only 15$ - unfortunately the SC-55 I bought a couple of weeks ago severely dented my wallet so I can't afford to buy it. Hope it will still be available next week...

Are working 8800GTX THAT hard to find? I got my XFX 8800GTX off ebay for 25 bucks late last year. I also got a 9800GX2 for 25 but i broke it trying to remove the IO shield (Which required disassembling that retarded box cooler they put on the damn thing). I probably just messed up a capacitor. I need to get around to fixing that 🤣. My 8800GTX sometimes boots to a bunch of red lines but pulling the card and reinserting it always fix's it. I ran it as my HTPC's GPU for about 6 months i think. Played Just Cause 2 quite well.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction