VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14580 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After 3 years I have aquired this beautiful pair of twins! Socket 7 Intel AT boards with socketed Dallas chips, Pentiums of some sort, Mach 64's, Toshiba CD drives and both sport an Awe32 😁 also yes, that is a functioning turbo switch.

Attachments

• 20161107_220052.jpg
    Filename
    20161107_220052.jpg
    File size
    2.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ODwilly on 2016-11-08, 06:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14582 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

😳 😳 😳 EXCELLENT

Not sure if directed at me or the lucky gentleman above me, or both! But either way my thoughts exactly. Towers were "lost" on their way to the recycle from my local school. They were built and put in my middle school in 95 😲

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14583 of 52759, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At you 😀
This:

keenmaster486 wrote:

Wow, nice haul, mate!

'
was directed at Cyrix; his haul was excellent as well.

ODwilly wrote:

Towers were "lost" on their way to the recycle

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😈

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14584 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OOOOH duh! Hahaha oops.

Reply 14585 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to add picked up some 1gb ECC sticks of PC133, a pair of 1gb PNY DDR400 sticks, and a lovely Asus P4B533 Rev 1.04 motherboard. This should make for a good replacement for the haunted P4S Dragon Ultra motherboard. Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a UNIVERSAL AGP Pro P4 motherboard that is really good at in depth motherboard troubleshooting/repair HMU on a pm and I would be inclined to part with it for free. It works! When it wants to. . .and has a fresh set of Rubycon primary cpu caps!

Reply 14586 of 52759, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recieved some cache chips... Packing speaks for it self. 🙁
Is there any MS Dos based tool to check if working?

Cache-chips-BAD-Packing.jpg
Filename
Cache-chips-BAD-Packing.jpg
File size
86.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14587 of 52759, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you'll install them the motherboard does the first checks - if it recognizes the cache size. Then you have cachechk and speedsys programs to check if cache is working.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14588 of 52759, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

When you'll install them the motherboard does the first checks - if it recognizes the cache size. Then you have cachechk and speedsys programs to check if cache is working.

Nice...
So if cachecheck crashes, then the cache will be dead? Or does cachecheck and speedsys report bad cache as a kind of warning?

Reply 14589 of 52759, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I bought this bunch for a bit less than 1 euro per card. I'm drowning in NICs, but I can't really throw them out! Analogue modems do get binned though, I see no practical use for them...

Those are 3C509 cards, right?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14590 of 52759, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
kixs wrote:

Nice...
So if cachecheck crashes, then the cache will be dead? Or does cachecheck and speedsys report bad cache as a kind of warning?

Usually it works or not. But sometimes you get instability in programs and cachechk/speedsys won't report anything bad... you'll have to install and do the checks. Doom/Quake are good tests for system stability. Also installing Windows98.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14591 of 52759, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
brostenen wrote:
kixs wrote:

Nice...

Usually it works or not. But sometimes you get instability in programs and cachechk/speedsys won't report anything bad... you'll have to install and do the checks. Doom/Quake are good tests for system stability. Also installing Windows98.

Cool. Thanks. 😀

Reply 14592 of 52759, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Analogue modems do get binned though, I see no practical use for them...

If they are real full-feature modems and not winmodems, you can use them to connect systems for which no NICs are available (but modems are) to the internet by letting those NIC-less systems dial in on the modem cards installed in a system serving as a dial-up server that is connected to the internet. Schematics for making the cable required are available on the internet.

Reply 14593 of 52759, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That actually sounds kinda cool! Now I feel bad for throwing out modems before 🙁 I'll keep nice ones from now on 😀

yawetaG wrote:

If they are real full-feature modems and not winmodems, you can use them to connect systems for which no NICs are available (but modems are) to the internet by letting those NIC-less systems dial in on the modem cards installed in a system serving as a dial-up server that is connected to the internet. Schematics for making the cable required are available on the internet.

Cyrix200+ wrote:

1982 to 2001

Reply 14594 of 52759, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

That actually sounds kinda cool! Now I feel bad for throwing out modems before 🙁 I'll keep nice ones from now on 😀

yawetaG wrote:

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Yeah, I hope to do that one day with one of these. Have the Saturn modem, lack the PC one. Unlike what most English pages say, the Japanese Sega Saturn modem can dial in to non-Sega servers, instructions to do so are included in the paperwork (including log-in credentials for Tokyo's early city-wide internet provider 🤣 ). I suspect most Western people who bought a Japanese Saturn modem never bothered to open the bag with instructions... 😒

Some other interesting stuff you can do with regular modems is make them dial each other over VOIP lines, as there are adapters available to convert the regular phone signal to a VOIP signal. These adapters are used to continue using legacy fax machines over modern networks.

Of course, the best would be to get my hands on a professional system used by a real dial-up provider, but documentation on those seems to be very hard to find...

Reply 14595 of 52759, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Yeah, I hope to do that one day with one of these. Have the Saturn modem, lack the PC one. Unlike what most English pages say, t […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
That actually sounds kinda cool! Now I feel bad for throwing out modems before :( I'll keep nice ones from now on :) […]
Show full quote

quote="yawetaG"]

Cyrix200+ wrote:

/quote]

Yeah, I hope to do that one day with one of these. Have the Saturn modem, lack the PC one. Unlike what most English pages say, the Japanese Sega Saturn modem can dial in to non-Sega servers, instructions to do so are included in the paperwork (including log-in credentials for Tokyo's early city-wide internet provider 🤣 ). I suspect most Western people who bought a Japanese Saturn modem never bothered to open the bag with instructions... 😒

Some other interesting stuff you can do with regular modems is make them dial each other over VOIP lines, as there are adapters available to convert the regular phone signal to a VOIP signal. These adapters are used to continue using legacy fax machines over modern networks.

Of course, the best would be to get my hands on a professional system used by a real dial-up provider, but documentation on those seems to be very hard to find...

Thank you so much for your tips! My phone provider forced me to migrate from analogue to VoIP this year. (I got free phone and Internet for a year +) I am going to look into that modem stuff.
It would be a shame to not be able to use my IBM MWAVE and my ELSA Microlink 56K anymore 😁

Reply 14596 of 52759, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Thank you so much for your tips! My phone provider forced me to migrate from analogue to VoIP this year. (I got free phone and Internet for a year +) I am going to look into that modem stuff.
It would be a shame to not be able to use my IBM MWAVE and my ELSA Microlink 56K anymore 😁

Keep in mind that those VOIP adapters don't make it possible to actually access the internet; they only let legacy phones, faxes and modems dial each other over VOIP. I also looked into converting the signals from legacy modems to something broadband compatible, but only found extremely expensive industrial solutions - which is why "build your own mini-dial-up server" is an interesting option.

Reply 14597 of 52759, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Keep in mind that those VOIP adapters don't make it possible to actually access the internet; they only let legacy phones, faxes and modems dial each other over VOIP. I also looked into converting the signals from legacy modems to something broadband compatible, but only found extremely expensive industrial solutions - which is why "build your own mini-dial-up server" is an interesting option.

But I would be able to use "Microsoft Phone" on Windows 95 again, right?
Internet access would be my second priority I guess. But on the other hand, I still want to connect my Atari MegaSTE to the Internet 😁