Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28760 of 52730, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:

Today, I received a completely broken motherboard! The one motherboard I've been seeking out for a few months because I have a special adapter, for this very specific motherboard. That the seller chose to package in just bubblewrap, going across the oceans, hundreds of miles, just arrive looking like this. Doesn't work at all...

That doesn't look too bad, there shouldn't be anything there to cause the mobo not to work unless the inside layers copper got exposed and is shorting to something. If you can't return it then I'd suggest to file this corner down a bit with sandpaper. Then you can apply some clear coating to prevent further shorts and oxidation from creeping in.

Reply 28761 of 52730, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Maxximum Rage.. (No I haven't tried it yet, don't have a build with an AGP slot around and won't have one for a few weeks..)

Intel486dx33 wrote:
I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive. But I made a diag […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

Picked up a Terratec DMX 6Fire w/ front panel today for $28.
The same seller also has a Terratec EWS 88MT for $29 if any of you are looking. Ebay seller is: altairman007
He's got a pretty low number of sold/purchased items, but so far there's been good communication, and he tells me that he's selling off some of his studio equipment.

I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive.
But I made a diagram on the pin-outs if anyone is interested.
Terratec EWS-88MT adapter mod advice ?
These Terratec sound cards and drives and terratec apps work good in Windows-XP too but not officially supported.
Just use backward compatibility in WinXP for apps.

That case setup looks amazing 😀 I really like the choice of DVD drive as well, I was tempted to pick one of those up when I first saw it, very fitting for that case design. Do each of those cards work together without fighting for resources?

Yes, all the audio cards work well.
Ultimate Audio / Gaming build - Terratec/SB Audigy2zs.

I am going to design a PCB board as the original for the Terratec EWS88 head unit adapter for replacement since they are no longer available for purchase.
Anyone will be able to order a PCB board and connectors to make there own EWS88 adapter.
The custom made PCB boards are only like $1 each. Or 10 for $10

Reply 28762 of 52730, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote:
Thermalwrong wrote:

Today, I received a completely broken motherboard! The one motherboard I've been seeking out for a few months because I have a special adapter, for this very specific motherboard. That the seller chose to package in just bubblewrap, going across the oceans, hundreds of miles, just arrive looking like this. Doesn't work at all...

That doesn't look too bad, there shouldn't be anything there to cause the mobo not to work unless the inside layers copper got exposed and is shorting to something. If you can't return it then I'd suggest to file this corner down a bit with sandpaper. Then you can apply some clear coating to prevent further shorts and oxidation from creeping in.

Thanks for the second opinion 😀 I've done similar when dismantling 4 layer PCBs to make them into 12v > 5v power supplies and that worked, I think this is more layers but maybe it will work if I sand it back so it's not shorting? I'd rather see what the seller / ebay require first

Intel486dx33 wrote:
Yes, all the audio cards work well. Ultimate Audio / Gaming build - Terratec/SB Audigy2zs. […]
Show full quote

Yes, all the audio cards work well.
Ultimate Audio / Gaming build - Terratec/SB Audigy2zs.

I am going to design a PCB board as the original for the Terratec EWS88 head unit adapter for replacement since they are no longer available for purchase.
Anyone will be able to order a PCB board and connectors to make there own EWS88 adapter.
The custom made PCB boards are only like $1 each. Or 10 for $10

Brilliant 😀 It's nice to see adapters put together that connect things that have lost the important parts and been made un-usable because of that.

Reply 28763 of 52730, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over the weekend:

Friday: DVDO Edge with the manuals, remote, DVD, and power cord
Saturday: Cisco 2600 Series router (haven't configured one in years since my college days) and some A/V cables (composite and component).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28764 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this board wth 200MMX vpu for $15. ATX and PS/2 connectors sold it for me. I will put it in a modern ATX case and use it as my Hardware testing pc..

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28765 of 52730, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

antec p180, not perfect - but this is the second, what i have bought. i created one from the two cases.

more about the build:
Socket 775 @ 2006.11 - Core 2 Extreme QX6700, Geforce 8800 GTX, Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Attachments

• 20190521-DSCF7951_.jpg
    Filename
    20190521-DSCF7951_.jpg
    File size
    587.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20190521-DSCF7950_.jpg
    Filename
    20190521-DSCF7950_.jpg
    File size
    587.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190521-DSCF7948_.jpg
    Filename
    20190521-DSCF7948_.jpg
    File size
    588.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190521-DSCF7941_.jpg
    Filename
    20190521-DSCF7941_.jpg
    File size
    596.08 KiB
    Views
    File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28766 of 52730, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arncht wrote:

antec p180, not perfect - but this is the second, what i have bought. i created one from the two cases.

Not a bad case. I currently use the same case for my Linux server/HTPC (i7 2600K)
L0xGSnlt.jpg
Though the hinge for the front door thingy broke somewhat, so I have to leave it open.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 28767 of 52730, by Kcil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got these for usd8 locally.. came with standard 200W AT PSU and a broken floppy disk drive also

Jetway J-656VXD mainboard with Pentium 133, 2x8MB EDO, a CQM based CT2940, S3 Trio 64V+ 1MB and a standard com/lpt isa card

http://imgur.com/gallery/lZi8lL8

Reply 28768 of 52730, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diamond Multimedia "Monster Fusion AGP 16MB SGRam" 3DFX Voodoo Banshee:

P90522-095130_resize.jpg
Filename
P90522-095130_resize.jpg
File size
672.46 KiB
Views
File license

C326PS ver 2.0 PCI video card (SiS 6326 based) w/o bracket:

P90522-095156_resize.jpg
Filename
P90522-095156_resize.jpg
File size
661.93 KiB
Views
File license

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 28769 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kcil wrote:

Just got these for usd8 locally.. came with standard 200W AT PSU and a broken floppy disk drive also

Jetway J-656VXD mainboard with Pentium 133, 2x8MB EDO, a CQM based CT2940, S3 Trio 64V+ 1MB and a standard com/lpt isa card

http://imgur.com/gallery/lZi8lL8

Shit that's amazing value.

Reply 28770 of 52730, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
Not a bad case. I currently use the same case for my Linux server/HTPC (i7 2600K) http://i.imgur.com/L0xGSnlt.jpg Though the hin […]
Show full quote
arncht wrote:

Not a bad case. I currently use the same case for my Linux server/HTPC (i7 2600K)
L0xGSnlt.jpg
Though the hinge for the front door thingy broke somewhat, so I have to leave it open.

i wanted it to this config, because it was really revolutionary from many aspect. the disadvantage - full with plastic parts, and they are very vulnerable. Both cases were advertised as "very good" condition, but both has damaged parts, anyway they were coming with the original box, every screws, small parts, etc.

earlier i wrote to the antec europe, but they also don't have a full case - they sold the plastic parts as spare part. so a full case in good condition is veryvery rare.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28771 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Got this board wth 200MMX vpu for $15. ATX and PS/2 connectors sold it for me. I will put it in a modern ATX case and use it as my Hardware testing pc..

Doing hardware testing on a thin-as-paper PC Chips board... not sure I'd recommend that...

That said, what you have there is clock-for-clock the fastest So7 board I've ever encoutered (at least in terms of RAM performance), so if it runs stable, it will at least run very, very fast 😀

Reply 28772 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Doing hardware testing on a thin-as-paper PC Chips board... not sure I'd recommend that...

That said, what you have there is clock-for-clock the fastest So7 board I've ever encoutered (at least in terms of RAM performance), so if it runs stable, it will at least run very, very fast 😀

Hmm, good point, but I will keep it in a case and just test PCI/ISA video/sound cards, which should not break the board.. hopefully?

Yeah it apparently has a 33MHz PCI lock and support for 82Mhz, which is great. Initially I will run it with a Cyrix mII 233 75Mhz FSB CPU but I hope to find a faster mII, possibly an 82MHz one. I will drop in a Voodoo card or a Riva TNT PCI so between that and the high FSB, FPU should not worry me too much.

Reply 28773 of 52730, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really have money to spend on frivolities recently, due to the fact that we've moved to another house. On the flip side though, I have more place to store my old machines. Nevertheless, I have seen a DOS era machine that I just had to get my hands on: NEC Versa 4050C laptop in perfect condition.

NEC_1.jpg
Filename
NEC_1.jpg
File size
460.56 KiB
Views
File license

640x480 TFT screen, Sound Blaster, speakers, all in original bag and with original power brick. Seller wanted quite some sum for it, but I knew him from some other transaction and bargained quite a bit. In fact I just told him the truth: that I'd love to buy this machine, but am short on cash. He's also a fan of retro, he understood.

NEC_2.jpg
Filename
NEC_2.jpg
File size
79.35 KiB
Views
File license

Didn't have much time to play with it, but turned it on and it's lovely. Battery is dead, HDD is operational, screen is nice, speakers are fairly loud, lot of connectivity options (including IR!). German keyboard (not a fan!), but oh well. Not everything can be perfect. Other than that, seems like an ideal DOS laptop (which is a bit of my fetish - and recent discussions in this thread has reignited the spark).

NEC_3.jpg
Filename
NEC_3.jpg
File size
154.84 KiB
Views
File license
NEC_4.jpg
Filename
NEC_4.jpg
File size
182.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 28774 of 52730, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stalk3r wrote:
Bought this Compaq Portable 386 from 1987. https://i.imgur.com/TaA8yDh.jpg […]
Show full quote

Bought this Compaq Portable 386 from 1987.
TaA8yDh.jpg

That is my other fetish

Attachments

• fetuccini.gif
    Filename
    fetuccini.gif
    File size
    475.32 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28775 of 52730, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card and some 3" diskettes for two old nokia mobile phones through a trade.
Now i have the famous 3d DEcelerator!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 28776 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote:

Got the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card and some 3" diskettes for two old nokia mobile phones through a trade.
Now i have the famous 3d DEcelerator!

I have the Pro (Virge/DX) version of that. I have yet to see it accelerate anything. It is a good PCI card though, not very easy to find S3 cards with decent VGA to be honest; most of them have blurry or washed out signal..

Reply 28779 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a second one of these for my Deskpro EN-SFF which currently had a Radeon 7000 PCI. I should be able to run everything smoothly at 1024x768x32 now.

ATI-Radeon-9250-PCI-B.jpg

No idea why whomever wrote Wang on the heatsink though..