Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28781 of 52654, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Got the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card and some 3" diskettes for two old nokia mobile phones through a trade.
Now i have the famous 3d DEcelerator!

I have the Pro (Virge/DX) version of that. I have yet to see it accelerate anything. It is a good PCI card though, not very easy to find S3 cards with decent VGA to be honest; most of them have blurry or washed out signal..

Here you can buy AGP versions for about 0,5-1 Euro/ piece and PCI ones are at least 5 Euro untested

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28782 of 52654, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found a ATi Rage Fury Maxx at the thrift store.
BIUnI1T.jpg

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 28783 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Windows9566 wrote:
Just found a ATi Rage Fury Maxx at the thrift store. https://i.imgur.com/BIUnI1T.jpg […]
Show full quote

BIUnI1T.jpg

I just tested mine, and it won't POST. I kind of knew I was fucked when it arrived with the fan knocked off, but I tried nonetheless. There is no visual problems on the card, probably the ball solders under the GPU broke under whatever load it took to rip off the cooler. It's DOA. I hope you have better luck with yours.

The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to find a cheapo similar 9250 AGP and pilfer it for the part, transplant it to this one and see if it works then..

Sapphire-Radeon-9250-PCI-Damage.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28784 of 52654, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
I just tested mine, and it won't POST. I kind of knew I was fucked when it arrived with the fan knocked off, but I tried noneth […]
Show full quote
Windows9566 wrote:
Just found a ATi Rage Fury Maxx at the thrift store. https://i.imgur.com/BIUnI1T.jpg […]
Show full quote

BIUnI1T.jpg

I just tested mine, and it won't POST. I kind of knew I was fucked when it arrived with the fan knocked off, but I tried nonetheless. There is no visual problems on the card, probably the ball solders under the GPU broke under whatever load it took to rip off the cooler. It's DOA. I hope you have better luck with yours.

The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to find a cheapo similar 9250 AGP and pilfer it for the part, transplant it to this one and see if it works then..

I put it into my Pentium 3 rig and it posted, showed the Award BIOS screen, and booted to Windows 98.

and i also don't like when some retro hardware arrives broken from shipping damage after waiting for days for it to arrive.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 28785 of 52654, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to find a cheapo similar 9250 AGP and pilfer it for the part, transplant it to this one and see if it works then...

To my unskilled eye it looks just like a capacitor, similar or same to those around.
Here an image of my identical card.
DSCN8981.jpg

If you want a 9250 AGP instead, here is mine. I find it really ugly!
DSCN8987.jpg

I'll throw both into the bay soon 😀

Reply 28786 of 52654, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Windows9566 wrote:
Show full quote

BIUnI1T.jpg

There's just one question I have for you...Did you order the code red?

Reply 28787 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retardware wrote:
To my unskilled eye it looks just like a capacitor, similar or same to those around. Here an image of my identical card. https:/ […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to find a cheapo similar 9250 AGP and pilfer it for the part, transplant it to this one and see if it works then...

To my unskilled eye it looks just like a capacitor, similar or same to those around.
Here an image of my identical card.
DSCN8981.jpg

If you want a 9250 AGP instead, here is mine. I find it really ugly!
DSCN8987.jpg

I'll throw both into the bay soon 😀

It looks like it could also be an inductor from the coloring but who knows I have no way of measuring.. I wonder if there is a reference design document for radeon 9250 somewhere..

Reply 28788 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Windows9566 wrote:

I put it into my Pentium 3 rig and it posted, showed the Award BIOS screen, and booted to Windows 98.

and i also don't like when some retro hardware arrives broken from shipping damage after waiting for days for it to arrive.

I tried it in my Dell Dimension XPS D333.. which was actually pretty dumb as these cards are picky about mainboards so I will retry it in a GA-6OXT i815 board 😀 Fingers crossed..

EDIT: It did not work in the P3 either and ended up messing up my WinME installation completely. It had undergone a few motherboard changes already so it was due a reinstall anyway, but still, meh..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-05-23, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28789 of 52654, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

It looks like it could also be an inductor from the coloring but who knows I have no way of measuring.. I wonder if there is a reference design document for radeon 9250 somewhere..

both cards use reference design, and AGP one has it labeled as a capacitor
small capacitors like this are used for decoupling and missing very rarely (read almost never) result in something not even powering up

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 28790 of 52654, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

asus 8800gtx - this is the fourth gtx: first was in bad condition, the second had bad video memory, the third was ok, but a bolt broken into the card.

Attachments

• 20190522_210321.jpg
    Filename
    20190522_210321.jpg
    File size
    1009.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by arncht on 2019-05-23, 08:35. Edited 1 time in total.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28791 of 52654, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Windows9566 wrote:

Wouldn't it be worth "baking" the card, if you suspect solder balls?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 28792 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

both cards use reference design, and AGP one has it labeled as a capacitor
small capacitors like this are used for decoupling and missing very rarely (read almost never) result in something not even powering up

Yeah, I know 😒 but still worth trying, no?

H3nrik V! wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Windows9566 wrote:

Right, I'll try this actually. 195C for 10 minutes, what could go wrong..

Reply 28793 of 52654, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
H3nrik V! wrote:

Worst case is you'll have a non-functioning card .. Aka exactly what you have today 😎

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 28794 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
H3nrik V! wrote:

Worst case is you'll have a non-functioning card .. Aka exactly what you have today 😎

I can confirm that this is exactly what happened and I trashed the card.

Reply 28795 of 52654, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to f […]
Show full quote

The broken part is a ceramic capacitor just like those nearby. A few hundred nF probably.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 28796 of 52654, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Did the plastics melt?
Did the hologram fade?
*curious*

Reply 28797 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retardware wrote:
Did the plastics melt? Did the hologram fade? *curious* […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Did the plastics melt?
Did the hologram fade?
*curious*

Plastics did not melt but after only five minutes at 195C as soon as I took off the card out of the oven the SMD BIOS chips slid and fell off. The soldermask had turned yellowish.

Moral of this story: Don't bake retro hardware.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-05-23, 13:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28798 of 52654, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

You better sell it to me 😀 It's a good source of parts even if dead.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 28799 of 52654, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ph4nt0m wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
The 9250 PCI I posted just above did not POST either, and upon close inspection I found a missing SMD component.. I'll try to f […]
Show full quote

The broken part is a ceramic capacitor just like those nearby. A few hundred nF probably.

Just checked my stash and I have 100nF 16V 0603 and 220nF 16V 0805, this looks too small to be 0805 so I'll just try to solder in a 100nF 0603.. What could go wrong (aside from me never before having soldered SMD stuff..)