VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23140 of 52357, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AS4C4M4F1 chips are 4M x 4bit FPM chips, and the K4P160411C chips are 4M x 4bit FPM chips as well. The extra pins are for extra CAS lines; the former has 1 CAS line and the latter has 4 lines.
I read some articles about ECC and couldn't find why it requires 2 extra bits per 8 bits of data. For example, this one says 7 extra bits for 32 bits of data and 8 extra bits for 64 bits of data.

Reply 23141 of 52357, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Er no, the extra chip only tells you it uses some form of parity. For regular parity you need one bit extra for every 8 bits, for ECC you need two bits extra.

Doesn't look like simple parity - 28-pin chip.

Agreed, but it's that - and not the simple fact that it has one more chip - that potentially makes it ECC. And even then you see some weird parity and ECC setups out there, so I'd want to know what 28p chip that is before making any statements.

Just have a look at the vogonswiki entry on 72 pin SIMMs. I recently updated the page and there are pictures of Parity and ECC (EOS) on it. Some systems like IBM RS/6000 used 40 BIT wide modules to realize ECC by external logic. The shown modules are surely parity mdules and still a good catch, as some systems require them and they are usually hard to find in case you need some.

Reply 23142 of 52357, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well. The modules came out of a tele communication device. Or something like that. You know.... One of them rack mounted PCB's. So they must be of better quality or have some special features. I don't know. Just happy that I have two 32mb modules.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23143 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ordered an AOpen MX3S, an imulse purchase.. Anyone know if it is a good board? The one I got is the non-T, i815E version that does not support Tualatin unfortunately, but a mATX S370 board with AGP and onboard video and audio sounded like a good thing to have.. I have other mATX S370 boards with video but they all lack either an AGP slot or onboard sound..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23144 of 52357, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had several of those over the years. They can take CPUs from 300 MHz Celeron to 1 GHZ Pentium III. (I tried a 1.1 GHz Coppermine Celeron and it wasn't recognised.) Maximum RAM is 512 MB RAM. They make nice little late Windows 9x or early Windows XP machines. Integrated video and audio are poor however so you will have to install proper audio and video cards if you want to use it for gaming or watching video.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23145 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I've had several of those over the years. They can take CPUs from 300 MHz Celeron to 1 GHZ Pentium III. (I tried a 1.1 GHz Coppermine Celeron and it wasn't recognised.) Maximum RAM is 512 MB RAM. They make nice little late Windows 9x or early Windows XP machines. Integrated video and audio are poor however so you will have to install proper audio and video cards if you want to use it for gaming or watching video.

Does the onboard Audio have SB compatibility in pure DOS or Win 9x?

Reply 23146 of 52357, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never used this board to run DOS programs so can't say. (I do remember many years ago trying to get pure DOS audio to work and giving up without success.) It doesn't have an SB-Link connector either.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23147 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I've never used this board to run DOS programs so can't say. (I do remember many years ago trying to get pure DOS audio to work and giving up without success.) It doesn't have an SB-Link connector either.

Interesting.. I've seen references to a Sound Blaster Emulation Enable/Disable BIOS option for this board. Dell GX240 also has the same AD1885 chipset and lists SB Emulation alongside AC97 codec. Unfortunately I can't verify this in the AD1885 datasheed. If there really is SB emulation this could be a fairly good board for me. Do you have any of these in a system you can check?

Reply 23148 of 52357, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have one set up running Windows 98. Let me pull it out of the cupboard.

Edit: OK I've got it set up running Windows 98 SE with onboard sound. Are there any specific games you'd like me to test?

Last edited by Errius on 2018-04-25, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23150 of 52357, by r00lz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I received:
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with accessories in box, cpu and arctic cooling cooler, but need replace caps
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe without accessories, but with cpu, ram and good caps
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO

Should be fine for Socket A project
u4KulRBm.jpg

Reply 23151 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny. My dad had the A7N8X version, and I corrupted the BIOS since I flashed the wrong version. That was a great board.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23152 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Yes, I have one set up running Windows 98. Let me pull it out of the cupboard.

Edit: OK I've got it set up running Windows 98 SE with onboard sound. Are there any specific games you'd like me to test?

Well..

Does the bios have option for sound blaster emulation? Does it appear as a device in Win98? Does sound and music in Doom and Duke3D work?

Reply 23153 of 52357, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no SB option in the BIOS, but games appear to be working with SB/Pro/16 selected. I'm using the wdm.exe SoundMAX driver package in Windows 98 SE. I've tested the following DOS-only games:

Doom II and The Ultimate Doom - Sound is good using General MIDI (port 330) and Sound Blaster (220) options

Grand Theft Auto - Good using Sound Blaster option

Worms - Using Sound Blaster option, sound FX are OK but music stutters for unknown reasons. Music must be disabled or game is unplayable.

Terminal Velocity - Sound FX and music both good using Sound Blaster option

Last edited by Errius on 2018-04-26, 00:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23154 of 52357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an IBM Thinkpad 600X - it's the 650MHz speedstep model and amazingly the battery still works and it has the original restore CDs & manual 😀

IMG_7821 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_7821 (Custom).jpeg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I last owned one of these around 10 years ago when I ran XP on it and had an internal wireless module and an upgraded MMC-II module fitted to put the speed up to I think 700MHz - when I saw this one I couldn't resist - sadly when I got it, all of the rubberised coating had gone disgusting so I spent a while cleaning it off with IPA, which possibly damaged the screen, so one screen later, here we are.

IMG_7822 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_7822 (Custom).jpeg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

This one will be running Windows 98, or maybe Windows 95, I have restore CDs for both - the sound drivers even have a software wavetable which sounds pretty good, something I had no idea of when I previously owned this

Reply 23156 of 52357, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grabbed a Samsung 214T for a whopping $25 (holy shit! I paid for a monitor??) Kind of an odd size at 21.4", but a 1600x1200 IPS panel with VGA, DVI, composite & S-video for less than the cost of an expensive lunch out? YESPLZ.

The guy I bought it from worked in a building right near where I work, so I met him there and immediately lugged it back to my office & ingested it into my ridiculous multi-head setup. There it is on the upper right:

moarheds1.jpg
Filename
moarheds1.jpg
File size
151.75 KiB
Views
File license

To be honest, I'm mostly just doing this to annoy my co-workers right now, as 99% of my work is writing documentation at the moment. But yes, I do use all those displays when I have them. The Samsung will find its way to my home setup eventually (unless I luck into a Dell 2007fp first.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23157 of 52357, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

To be honest, I'm mostly just doing this to annoy my co-workers right now, as 99% of my work is writing documentation at the moment. But yes, I do use all those displays when I have them. The Samsung will find its way to my home setup eventually (unless I luck into a Dell 2007fp first.)

I had three monitors until one died. I could happily use six.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23158 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just found this for cheap.
A Wang Alliance 750CD desktop computer.
I think it should have a 386-sx25 CPU in it from what I could find.. but who knows what upgrades have been done.. could have a clip-on 486 upgrade for all I know.
Onboard video is WDC Paradise.

Seller's pics.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
291.45 KiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
344.53 KiB
Views
File license
cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
371.47 KiB
Views
File license

The one card is either a Sound Blaster 2.0 or a Sound Blaster Pro 2.

Anybody recognize the card with the single 1/8" jack? I seem to remember seeing a card like that before but can't remember what it was and had no luck searching.
I guess it could even be a simple CD-ROM controller card with an 1/8" output jack for CD audio.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23159 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:
There's no SB option in the BIOS, but games appear to be working with SB/Pro/16 selected. I'm using the wdm.exe SoundMAX driver […]
Show full quote

There's no SB option in the BIOS, but games appear to be working with SB/Pro/16 selected. I'm using the wdm.exe SoundMAX driver package in Windows 98 SE. I've tested the following DOS-only games:

Doom II and The Ultimate Doom - Sound is good using General MIDI (port 330) and Sound Blaster (220) options

Grand Theft Auto - Good using Sound Blaster option

Worms - Using Sound Blaster option, sound FX are OK but music stutters for unknown reasons. Music must be disabled or game is unplayable.

Terminal Velocity - Sound FX and music both good using Sound Blaster option

Thank you very much this is fantastic news.

cyclone3d wrote:

I guess it could even be a simple CD-ROM controller card with an 1/8" output jack for CD audio.

I know of CD Interface cards that had dual RCA outs for CD Audio, so this is very likely a variant.

Alternatively, it could be something like an FM radio card with internal routing to the sound card, with the jack being the antenna in.