Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2017-10-20 @ 18:03

derSammler wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:Is the 16MHz 286 an AMD processor?

No, Harris. It's actually a 20 MHz one, but the chipset can not go beyond 16 MHz.

Interesting.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3/600 Graphite, Socket 370, Pavilion 7955, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550, Dimension E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2-3, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby BitWrangler » 2017-10-20 @ 19:16

Oh, I picked up a small piece up yesterday that enables an out of date GPU, not that retro yet, a DMS 59 to dual DVI adapter for a weirdy HD3450 that fell in my lap a while back. I wasn't that anxious to get it functional, just saw the adapter for pocket change and grabbed it. Might store it another decade, after all it was the aspirational GPU for those ppl who went, "I want something just about faster than my onboard graphics, but not too much." but still couldn't afford it. Still, it might end up in something that just needs a pixel pusher, like an emulation rig for non 3D stuffs.
Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. Most recently toyed with DOS era stuff 15 years ago, so memory might be rusty. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56382
User avatar
BitWrangler
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 2017-10-11 @ 00:55

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-10-20 @ 19:35

Saw a Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS pop up on eBay for cheap and grabbed it immediately.

It is missing the daughterboard so I won't be able to hook up the external box but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Seller also said it comes what he thinks is the original shipping box even though it wasn't pictured.

Supposedly this card also has DOS support, so we will see how it fares once I get it.

The chipset is an ESS Maestro 2-EM and the wavetable is a Dream 9707.

It has 4MB onboard RAM and the official specs say it can be upgraded to 36MB RAM. I saw somewhere that the chipset supports up to 64MB so I may try a larger stick IF I can get one cheap enough.

Sellers pic:
Guillemot.png


Google archived magazine article that has a mini review along with some other cards.
https://books.google.com/books?id=0QEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT59&lpg=PT59&dq=Guillemot+Maxi+Studio+Isis+DOS&source=bl&ots=3eMqwNt0G4&sig=UmsRVjHmxiXMotdyrimJgxzWwqI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG7uOM6v_WAhUl_4MKHdl2BG44ChDoAQhlMAk#v=onepage&q=Guillemot%20Maxi%20Studio%20Isis%20DOS&f=false
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2017-10-20 @ 19:39

cyclone3d wrote:Saw a Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS pop up on eBay for cheap and grabbed it immediately.

It is missing the daughterboard so I won't be able to hook up the external box but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Seller also said it comes what he thinks is the original shipping box even though it wasn't pictured.

Supposedly this card also has DOS support, so we will see how it fares once I get it.

The chipset is an ESS Maestro 2-EM and the wavetable is a Dream 9707.

It has 4MB onboard RAM and the official specs say it can be upgraded to 36MB RAM. I saw somewhere that the chipset supports up to 64MB so I may try a larger stick IF I can get one cheap enough.

Sellers pic:
Guillemot.png


Google archived magazine article that has a mini review along with some other cards.
https://books.google.com/books?id=0QEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT59&lpg=PT59&dq=Guillemot+Maxi+Studio+Isis+DOS&source=bl&ots=3eMqwNt0G4&sig=UmsRVjHmxiXMotdyrimJgxzWwqI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG7uOM6v_WAhUl_4MKHdl2BG44ChDoAQhlMAk#v=onepage&q=Guillemot%20Maxi%20Studio%20Isis%20DOS&f=false

That is one interesting card.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3/600 Graphite, Socket 370, Pavilion 7955, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550, Dimension E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2-3, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby elod » 2017-10-20 @ 19:45

It is, I also got one recently, bare card only though.
Maestro is not that useful for DOS, bit it should work nicely in Windows. OPL3 is out, the Solo1 was the last ESS with it.
elod
Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 2016-5-17 @ 19:01
Location: Timisoara, Romania

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby BitWrangler » 2017-10-20 @ 19:46

Spiffy... squinting at the article, doesn't look like the daughterboard is much more than buffer chips and a passthrough for the cable.
Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. Most recently toyed with DOS era stuff 15 years ago, so memory might be rusty. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56382
User avatar
BitWrangler
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 2017-10-11 @ 00:55

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-10-20 @ 20:28

BitWrangler wrote:Spiffy... squinting at the article, doesn't look like the daughterboard is much more than buffer chips and a passthrough for the cable.


Yeah, that's what it looks like to me as well. I wonder how hard it would be to make an interface board for it. I couldn't care less if it was on a printed circuit board or not.
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby amadeus777999 » 2017-10-20 @ 20:38

BitWrangler wrote:Heh, I had to zoom in on that, Siemens Nixdorf Scenics also had a socket 5 board with virtually identical layout. I wouldn't really call it a high quality board though.


What are your experiences with similar board?
I judge it by PCB stability, how many capacitors, simplicity of design and performance. The board is currently running with 60 mhz and did pretty well. Only downside is slow memory write speed which has had no real impact in the real life tests though.
User avatar
amadeus777999
Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2013-7-04 @ 17:04

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-10-20 @ 21:00

bjwil1991 wrote:The Pentium II board must be a server board hence the weird power connector.

A typical AT or early atx server psu will work. The kind that ae abit taller then standard desktop psu's
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-22 @ 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jade Falcon
l33t
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: 2016-5-08 @ 19:23
Location: Stuck in Silent Hill after bailing out of my Eyrie

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-10-20 @ 22:52

I bought a Gateway M685-E 17" Notebook off eBay for 42ish shipped.

Image

1440x900 or 1680x1050 Screen (No way to tell which until it gets here)
Core2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHZ
1GB DDR2 RAM
80GB SATA Hard Disk
GeForce Go 7600 128MB
Audio System that SUPPOSEDLY is SB Pro 2.0 compliant.

I'll double the RAM when it gets here and switch that GPU out for the Go 7900 option if I can actually find one cheap enough to justify it. The Gateway MXM version of that card isn't super common but I'm sure one will crop up for the right price eventually. I had another of these in the past but it had serious electrical issues. All the USB ports reported constant over voltage and never worked and eventually it stopped charging. It was a great laptop and I loved it when it worked but once it started having issues it wasn't that fun and it wasn't feasible to repair it. I'm glad to have another of these. They have great screens (literally one of the best matte TN screens I've ever seen second only to IPS LEDs) and make very nice 9.0c era gaming laptops even with the Go 7600 (which is somewhere in between a desktop 6600 and 6800 in terms of performance). I saved the battery, GPU, CPU, and hard drive cover from my old one so I'm good if the infamous bumpgate bug takes a shot at me. They feel well built. I think mine just sat too long before I got it (It supposedly hadn't been turned on in over 5 years) and developed electrical issues from storage conditions. It worked fine for a month and was dead by the end of month 2.

I've also managed to summon forth from the void a GTX 470 for free. At least I'll be warm this winter.

EDIT: Found my own Video Review of the M685E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmXXjwJkyA&t=298s
Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2017-10-20 @ 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby BitWrangler » 2017-10-20 @ 23:09

amadeus777999 wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:Heh, I had to zoom in on that, Siemens Nixdorf Scenics also had a socket 5 board with virtually identical layout. I wouldn't really call it a high quality board though.


What are your experiences with similar board?
I judge it by PCB stability, how many capacitors, simplicity of design and performance. The board is currently running with 60 mhz and did pretty well. Only downside is slow memory write speed which has had no real impact in the real life tests though.


The one I got was supposed to be brand new factory stock overrrun or something, back early this century, it was also locked at 60mhz intended for a P90... put a P100 chip on it though for trying it out, I only got 3 boots out of it while I tried various things then it went "dead" and refused to do anything.
Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. Most recently toyed with DOS era stuff 15 years ago, so memory might be rusty. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56382
User avatar
BitWrangler
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 2017-10-11 @ 00:55

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Groovy » 2017-10-21 @ 01:49

Finally found a Lian Li case a new motherboard a few CPU coolers and a lifetime supply of jumpers
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Groovy
Newbie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2017-8-25 @ 02:38
Location: Texas

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-10-21 @ 02:50

Groovy wrote:Finally found a Lian Li case a new motherboard a few CPU coolers and a lifetime supply of jumpers
Image
Image


The Noctua NH-D14. I have 1 in use and 2 more new boxed ones. One of the best heatpipe coolers ever made.

I love Lian-Li cases as well.
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby BitWrangler » 2017-10-21 @ 02:55

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:I bought a Gateway M685-E 17" Notebook off eBay for 42ish shipped.


That's barely retro considering the poor excuses for CPUs they put in ~$300 laptops now, like tablet class celerons that are atoms in disguise, same thing with the pentium label on that aren't any better. That can probably run rings around them with a bit of tweaking.
Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. Most recently toyed with DOS era stuff 15 years ago, so memory might be rusty. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56382
User avatar
BitWrangler
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 2017-10-11 @ 00:55

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby CkRtech » 2017-10-21 @ 04:41

cyclone3d wrote:The Noctua NH-D14. I have 1 in use and 2 more new boxed ones. One of the best heatpipe coolers ever made.

+1. Have one in my main rig right now. Love it.
User avatar
CkRtech
Member
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 2014-8-23 @ 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-10-21 @ 10:06

BitWrangler wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:I bought a Gateway M685-E 17" Notebook off eBay for 42ish shipped.


That's barely retro considering the poor excuses for CPUs they put in ~$300 laptops now, like tablet class celerons that are atoms in disguise, same thing with the pentium label on that aren't any better. That can probably run rings around them with a bit of tweaking.


It's the GPU that makes it retro IMO. I plan it to be a middle ground between my XPS with a 9800 Pro and my Elitebook with an HD3650. I prefer to play my games on hardware that's at least SOMEWHAT period correct.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby amadeus777999 » 2017-10-21 @ 14:01

BitWrangler wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:Heh, I had to zoom in on that, Siemens Nixdorf Scenics also had a socket 5 board with virtually identical layout. I wouldn't really call it a high quality board though.


What are your experiences with similar board?
I judge it by PCB stability, how many capacitors, simplicity of design and performance. The board is currently running with 60 mhz and did pretty well. Only downside is slow memory write speed which has had no real impact in the real life tests though.


The one I got was supposed to be brand new factory stock overrrun or something, back early this century, it was also locked at 60mhz intended for a P90... put a P100 chip on it though for trying it out, I only got 3 boots out of it while I tried various things then it went "dead" and refused to do anything.


Sucks, but I wouldn't gauge its worth by a fallout sample. It is more than solid, "build"- and speedwise.
Last edited by amadeus777999 on 2017-10-21 @ 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
amadeus777999
Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2013-7-04 @ 17:04

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2017-10-21 @ 17:47

Went thrifting today, and I got the following:

Code: Select all
Maxtor 60GB Hard drive (possibly new)
IBM Model M keyboard from 1987 (SDL to PS/2 missing)
Adaptec CardPark PCMCIA kit for a desktop computer (new)
Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-10-21 @ 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3/600 Graphite, Socket 370, Pavilion 7955, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550, Dimension E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2-3, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby BitWrangler » 2017-10-21 @ 20:15

Funnily enough I got a Maxtor 80GB "maybe new" at a thrift a little while back. Diamondmax 10, didn't realise until I got it home, just thought AS bag would be taped up, realised it was sealed and label on it matched model number etc.
Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. Most recently toyed with DOS era stuff 15 years ago, so memory might be rusty. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56382
User avatar
BitWrangler
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: 2017-10-11 @ 00:55

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby xeon3d » 2017-10-21 @ 20:33

Well some fellow Vogoners told me that I should make a new post when new stuff arrived... So here it is. The Intergraph TD-220.

Funny story time: I had previously arranged with the seller to go to his town to pick it up (20km away) but instead I gave him an extra €5 and a google maps pointer and he came to my house instead since I was stuck with my 3 year old (kid, not computer) and my card doesn't have AC or air anything...
Well... he parked to the other side of the road, a good 300m away from my front door, calls me, tells me he is right on top of the google maps marker and so I get my 3 year old and walk off to find him. We exchange pleasantries, he opens up the trunk, and instantly I saw the Pentium Pro Inside sticker. I give him the money and as he was counting the coins (was all I had at the time) my kid says "I need to poop, like now". He hears it as well as I did, so I pick up 10kg of hardware under one arm, 15kg of meat on top of the other arm and I just say/yell "It's all there, I'll give you a call as soon as I can" as I dash to my house and as he stands there a bit flabbergasted. Happy ending tho, the money was all there, Kid didn't shit on his pants, and the computer got safely home.

Onwards to the pictures (click for full-res-hardware-porn):

First thing I noticed when he opened the trunk
Image

At home:
Image

The back, notice the lack of screws. It seems he went on a dust cleaning spree before delivering it...
Image

The innards...
Image
Image

He even tried to clean inside the PSU it seems :/ No wonder it's marked as not working...
Image

So let's see what I got for €15...

A Pentium Pro 200
Image

An yet unknown Intel 440FX Motherboard (with 128MB of EDO RAM not shown in this picture, also this was taken after cleaning)
Image

Full of "cotton" (how do you call this in English?)
Image

More "cotton"
Image

Sadly, the floppy drive didn't survive my machine disassembly...
Image

It had a very stuck screw, so I had to go borrow a drill...
Image

All cleaned up...
Image

It had a very stuck screw, so I had to go borrow a drill...
Image

Got a Maxtor 9.1GB IDE HDD (I was hoping SCSI.. but oh well)
Image

Matrox Millennium with RAM Expansion
Image

Sound Blaster 16 PnP CT2980
Image

And a couple more cards which weren't really worth photographing... A VIA-Based USB 2.0 2-port card and a Realtek 8139 Ethernet PCI Card.

Oh well, let's see what's wrong with this computer... *power button push*
Image
* JAW DROP *

Let's see the BIOS...
Image

Surely it won't boot...
Image

And that's the story of how I got a Pentium Pro 200 Machine for 15€....

Few more pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/alJjI

luckybob wrote:ill beat myself looking at the pics... *wink wink*


Have a good one, luckybob!
xeon3d
Newbie
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 2015-1-12 @ 23:24
Location: Albufeira, Portugal

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: InbetweenDays, notsofossil, yawetaG and 6 guests