Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18360 of 52760, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
overdrive333 wrote:

3$ on local flea market . Can't test it as fas as voltage in my country is 220v. Need 220v->120v converter.

The 3DO.... Oh God *throws up*

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18361 of 52760, by overdrive333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
overdrive333 wrote:

3$ on local flea market . Can't test it as fas as voltage in my country is 220v. Need 220v->120v converter.

Worst console ever 🤣

Reply 18362 of 52760, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
overdrive333 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
overdrive333 wrote:

Worst console ever 🤣

Maybe so, but it had the best version of the PC classic game Stellar 7 (Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge) and luckily a PC can image 3DO discs directly with Imgburn. The Phoenix emulator plays it near perfect.

Reply 18363 of 52760, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are things I bought today :
There was too many things to cover with photos so I made a video instead
https://youtu.be/5kVJ0YDCB_M
(sorry for the poor translation, I hope it's good enough to be understand-able)

Here's a non exhaustive list of what I did find :

2 sound blaster 2
2 pentium 2 computers in neat cases

a boxed AWE64

a machintosh G4
a pentium 1 computer
a lot of sound cards of random kinds

a lot of HDDs
20 brand new 5"1/4 inc high density floppy disks
a CRT that can go up to 150Hz at 800*600 resolution and the res can go up to 1600*1200 (at 85Hz iirc)
8" floppy disks
a jazz disk drive

And as you can see in the video, a lot of other good things ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18364 of 52760, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I scored two laptops; a Compaq Armada 1592DT (P1 233/64mb/3.2gb) and a MiTAC 3020F. Both were working and in relatively good shape, apart from having dead batteries. The Armada has a good RTC battery though - wouldn't let me boot unless I knew the BIOS password 🤣 The MiTAC had a completely dead PSU as well but eventually I got it to work by giving it ±9.6V via the battery prongs. It is a weird machine from 1991 (that's when I was born yay). It is a 386SX @ 25MHz with a monochrome LCD and an 80MB Seagate HDD (had to find the usertype manually to get it to boot, no user-defined CHS setting I think, at least I couldn't find out how to set it this way). Interestingly it had DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 installed. Only thing that concerns me is that the screen appears to have some lines with different brightness/contrast (see pic)? If anyone has seen anything like this, I'd like them to chime in, as I have totally no experience on portables from that era.

Attachments

• lcd.jpg
    Filename
    lcd.jpg
    File size
    118.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    LCD issue
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mitac.jpg
    Filename
    mitac.jpg
    File size
    116.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MiTAC 3020F
    File license
  • compaq.jpg
    Filename
    compaq.jpg
    File size
    116.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq Armada 1592DT
    File license
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 18365 of 52760, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Armada looks nice, it has that warm color temperature old Toshiba CDT's have, very pleasant. Your Compaq thankfully already has a normal touchpad as opposed to a trackpoint the CDT's have.
The MiTAC has an STN screen which, even back in the day were pretty dreadful and I think yours is simply worn out and/or it had too much pressure applied on it.

Reply 18366 of 52760, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This ATI Radeon 7200 32MB AGP video card came in the mail today, I've installed it into the Dell Optiplex GX150 tower and it's working great. just what I need to benchmark it for 9x gaming.

IMG_1478.JPG
Filename
IMG_1478.JPG
File size
2.05 MiB
Views
File license

This appears to be one of the early models with a date code of 0049 (Week 49 of the year 2000), has both 7-pin S-Video and Composite video out so it'll work nicely on a TV set for when I ever want to have a "console-like" experience.

Reply 18368 of 52760, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
martin939 wrote:

Your Compaq thankfully already has a normal touchpad as opposed to a trackpoint the CDT's have.

That's one of the reasons I got this one. I was about to set up a Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT for DOS gaming. One reason I decided to dump it and get this Armada is the normal touchpad, the other is that it features both a CD drive and a floppy drive in its case, without the need for an external enclosure with proprietary connector, which I don't have anyway. Otherwise, they both have nice displays and similar chipsets.

The MiTAC has an STN screen which, even back in the day were pretty dreadful and I think yours is simply worn out and/or it had too much pressure applied on it.

I guess I'm SOL then 😢 It isn't too bad anyway...

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 18369 of 52760, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did notice something on the box of my SB AWE64 :

It is written that this is a special edition ... But I have no idea what's so special. There was a sb AWE 64 in the two pentium 2 computers I bought today, but none of them are gold ones and the box doesn't advertise a GOLD one. The two SB AWE64 are CT4500 and CT4520

What is so "special" about this ? ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18370 of 52760, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
Here are things I bought today : There was too many things to cover with photos so I made a video instead https://youtu.be/5kVJ0 […]
Show full quote

Here are things I bought today :
There was too many things to cover with photos so I made a video instead
https://youtu.be/5kVJ0YDCB_M
(sorry for the poor translation, I hope it's good enough to be understand-able)

Here's a non exhaustive list of what I did find :

2 sound blaster 2
2 pentium 2 computers in neat cases

a boxed AWE64

a machintosh G4
a pentium 1 computer
a lot of sound cards of random kinds

a lot of HDDs
20 brand new 5"1/4 inc high density floppy disks
a CRT that can go up to 150Hz at 800*600 resolution and the res can go up to 1600*1200 (at 85Hz iirc)
8" floppy disks
a jazz disk drive

And as you can see in the video, a lot of other good things ^^

That's my kind of garage sale!

Reply 18371 of 52760, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

In computer terms "special" means the same as if you were referring to a person that was special, ie retarded, same thing with video cards you have the radeon 98/9600 cards and the "special editions", just means they've been dropped and lost half their memory bandwidth.

The Awe64 has like a 512k wavetable sampleset compared to 4mb of the gold edition, not all is lost as these cards often(all?) have a later dsp which makes a great external midi device, no hanging note bugs if you hook up a external midi module.

Reply 18372 of 52760, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
overdrive333 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
overdrive333 wrote:

Worst console ever 🤣

The 3DO is a *fantastic* console. SOME of the games were utter crap, and it was too expensive new because they chose not to lose money on the hardware unlike the usual console pricing model, and that gave it a bad reputation, but it's actually a really good system. Heaps more powerful than anything else that was around when it launched and it really raised the bar for the second generation of 32-bit consoles that came after it.

In addition to the crap games, it also got some AMAZING ones that really showed it off (unlike e.g. the Jaguar where 90% of the titles barely used the hardware.) Go play the original Need for Speed (the whole series started on 3DO!), Starfighter, Stellar 7 as mentioned, Street Fighter II Turbo, Gex, Shockwave II, Total Eclipse, or Road Rash and tell me this is a "bad" system. And keep in mind it came out a year and a half before the Playstation or Saturn, right at the height of the console race.

In other news, I accidentally an auction.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18373 of 52760, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

This ATI Radeon 7200 32MB AGP video card came in the mail today, I've installed it into the Dell Optiplex GX150 tower and it's working great. just what I need to benchmark it for 9x gaming.

IMG_1478.JPG

This appears to be one of the early models with a date code of 0049 (Week 49 of the year 2000), has both 7-pin S-Video and Composite video out so it'll work nicely on a TV set for when I ever want to have a "console-like" experience.

The 7200 is based off the 7000 which means no TnL right? Or is it the rebrand of the original Radeon SDR? God ATIs naming schemes are useless.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18374 of 52760, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7200 is original Radeon 256 with full T&L support and 3 TMU per pixel.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18375 of 52760, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out goes the CT4780 SB Live! Value OEM.. In goes the shiny new Diamond MX300..

med_gallery_60983_11505_277244.jpg

Dreamblaster S2 and X3M testing can now commence. Yay!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18376 of 52760, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:
Deksor wrote:

In computer terms "special" means the same as if you were referring to a person that was special, ie retarded, same thing with video cards you have the radeon 98/9600 cards and the "special editions", just means they've been dropped and lost half their memory bandwidth.

The Awe64 has like a 512k wavetable sampleset compared to 4mb of the gold edition, not all is lost as these cards often(all?) have a later dsp which makes a great external midi device, no hanging note bugs if you hook up a external midi module.

Yeah you're right ... Though on my box "special edition" was translated into my language, that's why this made me wonder. And also there are only two known models of sb awe64 : value and gold, but like I said that one looks like a value but isn't advertized as one. In the box there's a paper saying that the special edition breaks the limit of 32 sounds at the same time or something like that, but that's all

Reply 18377 of 52760, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Well, not exactly, both cards have the exact same 1MB sample set in the ROM but they have 512KB and 4MB extra RAM to load soundfonts to, respectively. The 1MB sample set is neither great nor terrible, but it works fairly well in DOS for games that directly support the AWE32 and hence know where to find that wavetable. The extra RAM is fairly useless in DOS but comes in handy in Win9x IME, where a good 4MB soundfont can make a fairly decent difference. That said, if you are going to run games in Win9x and use Sound Fonts, you may as well use an SB Live! FWIW.. I think the AWE64 Value is a fairly good cheap alternative to an unupgradeed AWE32.

Reply 18378 of 52760, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really? I thought the AWE64 GOLD had a superior wavetable to the value edition, learn something new everyday, for most practical purposes theirs no real advantage with the gold card?

Reply 18379 of 52760, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

Really? I thought the AWE64 GOLD had a superior wavetable to the value edition, learn something new everyday, for most practical purposes theirs no real advantage with the gold card?

In Win9x Gold can use up to 4MB Soundfonts for its software synthesizer whereas the Value can use 512K so in effect in Windows the Gold can run as if it has a 4MB Wavetable. For DOS, this makes no difference since the tools used to load soundfonts take up too much memory.. However, for Win9x I much prefer a Live! card paired with an ISA card that has true OPL3, but that's me..