VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23940 of 52719, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scored a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB PCI and a Creative 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB PCI on Ebay late last night. Got the Voodoo 3 for $27, and the Voodoo 2 for $65. Both hardly appear used, stickers not yellowed and very minor dust. It looks like they were his dad's who was dumping his old computer stuff and he was just listing stuff for sale that he didn't know how to price. He also had a Voodoo Banshee AGP for cheap, but I passed on it since I already have one. Seller is serpentine_books.. Now I just need to find another cheap Voodoo 2 12MB for SLI. 😁 The seller also has a few other computer things listed, so take a look.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 23941 of 52719, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blank001 wrote:
A few recent buys […]
Show full quote

A few recent buys

1. Intel Celeron SL6C6 1.4GHz 100MHz
  • Enermax EG495P-VE, 32A on 3.3 and 5 and 22A on the 12s! noice
  • Diamond Stealth 64 Graphics

The EG496P-VE that actually makes me drool. Nice score!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 23942 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No huge hauls this time, just some targeted good stuff:

full.png

6x 4MB 30p SIMMs (2 for my CT3670, the rest for old motherboards)
Powerleap PL-Pro/MMX Plus Ver 4.0 (with P233MMX on top)
IBM 5x86C (markings damaged, but looks like a 100)
Intel iA80386-20 (second CPU to test my weird Wyse SBC-ish motherboard, as I'm not sure the previous one works...)
Intel Celeron 300A (because I somehow never had this and want to make up for lost time)
AudioExcel AV310 (with CMI8330A chipset - for the one-card Soundblaster solution)

Now just to find the time to do something with this stuff...

Edit:
Just my luck. *Almost* every Celeron 300A ran at 450MHz. Not this one. 374MHz (4.5x 83) max :'(

Reply 23943 of 52719, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll take that powerleap module off your hands and give it a loving home. Looks like you might be missing its power cable...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23944 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks to me like a Molex to 3-pin cable (much like a CPU/case fan-style)

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23946 of 52719, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

There's also the possibility that your board has some shonky half-featured pirate chipset conveniently labelled as a VIA KT133. 😜 The Gigabyte board it's a knockoff of had the real thing.

Yes. I bought that NIB Chinese Socket 370 board for strictly Windows 98SE work and it works well for just that. I only tried the single ISA slot to see if I could get away with it so I would not have to buy yet another vintage system to demo the SNAPplus. When I was building systems for a tech shop in the early 1990s I had no issues with later systems and ISA cards, BUT I never tried using an ISA video card in later P-III systems in the late 90s because there was no need to... until now. So it not working well was a surprise to me.

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-06-21, 07:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23947 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I'll take that powerleap module off your hands and give it a loving home. Looks like you might be missing its power cable...

You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands first 😉

Pretty sure I'm missing a cable, but shouldn't be too much of a challenge to improvise.

Reply 23949 of 52719, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Focus FK-2001 DIN keyboard (White Alps switches), $35 shipped from eBay
Apple ImageWriter II printer, $5 from thrift store

Printer initializes and then lights up the error LED, need to do some more troubleshooting. It's a beauty for sure, almost no yellowing at all. In the process of restoring the keyboard right now.

eGout6H.jpg

4ZrRzLo.jpg

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 23950 of 52719, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man, I printed so many color banners on those ImageWriter's in elementary school, haha. I still remember the sound and how slow they were. Awesome find.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 23951 of 52719, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
No huge hauls this time, just some targeted good stuff: […]
Show full quote

full.png

6x 4MB 30p SIMMs (2 for my CT3670, the rest for old motherboards)
Powerleap PL-Pro/MMX Plus Ver 4.0 (with P233MMX on top)
IBM 5x86C (markings damaged, but looks like a 100)
Intel iA80386-20 (second CPU to test my weird Wyse SBC-ish motherboard, as I'm not sure the previous one works...)
Intel Celeron 300A (because I somehow never had this and want to make up for lost time)
AudioExcel AV310 (with CMI8330A chipset - for the one-card Soundblaster solution)

Now just to find the time to do something with this stuff...

Edit:
Just my luck. *Almost* every Celeron 300A ran at 450MHz. Not this one. 374MHz (4.5x 83) max :'(

Just try raising VCore a little bit. I had a Celeron 366 that booted at 550 Mhz but was very unstable.
After raising VCore of just 0.1 V was perfect!

Reply 23952 of 52719, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

How do you identify laptops with IPS screens in auctions and used hardware sales?

The general rule of thumb with Thinkpads AFAIK is to lookup the Type number and see what that sub-type was equipped with.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23953 of 52719, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

That sound card was the first sound card I ever used on my first PC build back in 1999 when I was 13. I still have it! The ports are a bit broken unfortunately, from so many years of use in various machines. It's a great card! If you need drivers let me know. I have DOS and Windows 3.1 drivers.

Great thing about it is the driver loads, sets whatever it needs to set on the card, and terminates. Leaves no TSR's running in conventional memory so thats a plus. Also, FM playback is reasonable when compared to the SB16, and it supports WSS too.

To be honest, I'm quite envious you have it haha!

Enjoy!!!

Reply 23955 of 52719, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:
Focus FK-2001 DIN keyboard (White Alps switches), $35 shipped from eBay Apple ImageWriter II printer, $5 from thrift store […]
Show full quote

Focus FK-2001 DIN keyboard (White Alps switches), $35 shipped from eBay
Apple ImageWriter II printer, $5 from thrift store

Printer initializes and then lights up the error LED, need to do some more troubleshooting. It's a beauty for sure, almost no yellowing at all. In the process of restoring the keyboard right now.

eGout6H.jpg

4ZrRzLo.jpg

That keyboard is an XT/AT switchable keyboard.
The switch is hidden under the "2001" cover. Look for small indentations - you can then lift up the cover to reveal the switch.

Reply 23956 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
verysaving wrote:
dionb wrote:

Edit:

Just try raising VCore a little bit. I had a Celeron 366 that booted at 550 Mhz but was very unstable.
After raising VCore of just 0.1 V was perfect!

Might try that; my main test board is a Tyan Trinity 400, which has just about every setting you can imagine - except VCore. But I have piles of Slot1 boards that need re-capping including an Abit BE6-II. If anything can get the most out of this CPU, that will 😉

orinoko wrote:

That sound card was the first sound card I ever used on my first PC build back in 1999 when I was 13. I still have it! The ports are a bit broken unfortunately, from so many years of use in various machines. It's a great card! If you need drivers let me know. I have DOS and Windows 3.1 drivers.

Thanks, but fortunately someone already uploaded a full driver set for it to vogonsdrivers.com. I briefly tested it yesterday and it works fine, with low noise - although I heard a few worrying crackly artifacts. When I have some time I'll run it side-by-side next to an SB32 and compare the two. If I'm happy enough with it, I intend to park it next to my Gravis Ultrasound Classic in my main retro box. If not, my son's DOS box gets an upgrade to SB16 compatibility 😉

Great thing about it is the driver loads, sets whatever it needs to set on the card, and terminates. Leaves no TSR's running in conventional memory so thats a plus. Also, FM playback is reasonable when compared to the SB16, and it supports WSS too.

To be honest, I'm quite envious you have it haha!

Enjoy!!!

Yep, read about all that and had been looking for one for quite a while - one of the few chips that offers SBPro and SB16 compatibility, also does SPDIF and is supposed to offer better quality than the ALS100. Looking forward to enjoying it 😀

Reply 23957 of 52719, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
This Compaq Deskpro was for sale at a walking distance from where I live, it set me back only $10 so I grabbed it. […]
Show full quote

This Compaq Deskpro was for sale at a walking distance from where I live, it set me back only $10 so I grabbed it.

Compaq Deskpro.jpg
Compaq Deskpro Back.jpg

No idea what to expect in it, or what the exact model is for that matter. Anyone familiar with this case and generation of Compaqs?

This PC turned out to be a rather boring i810E mATX with a Socket 370 P3-667 and 128MB RAM. I was hoping for a Slot-1 with an ISA slot, no luck. Now I am torn between just cleaning, restoring and shelving it, or completely parting it and using the case for a more fun ATX build..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23958 of 52719, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems I'm now the proud owner of two Datapath VisionRGB VGA capture cards. Another "there's no WAY they'll accept this ridiculous lowball offer" semi-accidental Ebay score. (The LS-120 drive in the background was a few bucks from a local thrift shop.)

CameraZOOM-20180620153415561.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180620153415561.jpg
File size
263.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I wanted to try some dual-input live video mixing stuff for shows and whatever, but notice how one VGA port is blocked off? I wish I'd paid more attention to the photos in the ad and noticed half the chips are missing on each card! That's right, these are single-input models but for some reason they soldered up the second VGA ports anyway. Maybe the original purchaser cheaped out when they were halfway through filling the order. 😜

Still, I may only have one channel on each card, but I HAVE TWO CARDS, and I think they should be able to work in tandem... For the price I paid, can't complain.

CameraZOOM-20180620163812084.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180620163812084.jpg
File size
184.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^^ not world's best photo, but for a quick test, here's Wipeout 2097 running on a Mac Mini with its video output fed through a VisionRGB installed in a Win7 tower. Seems to work great.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23959 of 52719, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Believe it or not, I never managed to run any Celeron 300A at 450MHz x). Though I only have two.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative