Reply 24380 of 52737, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:
arncht wrote:

roland had a kit in 1988 with the mt32 - it was not cheap 995 usd (in 1988 - now it is 2092.90 usd!). an article from the pc mag from september of 1988.

"List Price"

Sierra On-Line began selling the same MT-32/MPU bundle (also in September, 1988) for $550 USD. Contextually speaking, and assuming you were in the market, this was a bargain without equal.

"Netherlands", for the original sale point 😉 .

Right, but arncht didn't provide that sales figure; just the $995 list price from the American publication. Regardless, I suspect the MT-32 was the least-expensive multi-timbral synthesizer of its caliber in the Netherlands back then as well. 😀

Reply 24381 of 52737, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one with some nice hardware inside:

PC Partner socket 7 mainboard
Cyrix 6x86 PR150-GP
8x CD-ROM
Quantum Bigfoot hard disk, 2.5 GB
ELSA Winner 1000 Trio64V+
Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3900 😀 😀

Reply 24384 of 52737, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A floppy drive with dip-switches, to set compatibility between computer platforms.
This enables me to use it natively, on machines such as Atari-ST, Amiga and of course the usual PC.
(I might hunt for more of these)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24388 of 52737, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must say that I was quite surprised when I saw it yesterday. The seller didn't send me any pics before, just a message that he got an old system and he was going to scrap it if I didn't want it.
Hell no!!!!
First time I ever had a case this big 😀
But I still want a full tower in the future!
Parts i've seen so far: S3 Virge or Virge DX,..., SB Pro 2, pci card with extra parallel port. CPU is an 6X86 but I need to remove the fan again. Clipped it on yesterday without looking at the exact type.
I still need to test it too

IMHO this case really wants a 386 or 486 no?

Last edited by Murugan on 2018-07-22, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24389 of 52737, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:
I must say that I was quite surprised when I saw yesterday. The seller didn't send me any pics before, just a message that he go […]
Show full quote

I must say that I was quite surprised when I saw yesterday. The seller didn't send me any pics before, just a message that he got an old system and he was going to scrap it if I didn't want it.
Hell no!!!!
First time I ever had a case this big 😀
But I still want a full tower in the future!
Parts i've seen so far: S3 Virge or Virge DX,..., SB Pro 2, pci card with extra parallel port. CPU is an 6X86 but I need to remove the fan again. Clipped it on yesterday without looking at the exact type.
I still need to test it though

IMHO this case really wants a 386 or 486 no?

Thats a really good deal you got there. This case screams 486 to me, too. Or anything which doesn't go over 2 digits in MHz 😀

Reply 24392 of 52737, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:

^^^^ That is a very nice case you got there Murugan. It would be a shame if it went to scrap.

Thanks! That's what I thought too. Probably will save some more in the years to come if he keeps getting this stuff.

After the test, I am going to put it away and when all my other projects are done,I'll give this baby a proper inside 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24393 of 52737, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some stuff I have picked up lately.

This is the latest. It has not arrived yet. Have no real idea what the internals are. The sound card looks like it may be an Opti based Card Xpert branded card.
I needed one more AT case and this one will fit the bill nicely.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
92.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
104.14 KiB
Views
File license

Had been looking for one of these for quite a while at a good price. When this popped up I snagged it.

all.jpg
Filename
all.jpg
File size
296.2 KiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
365.81 KiB
Views
File license

Had also been looking to get one of these. One finally popped up for an OK price.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
179.38 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24394 of 52737, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Had also been looking to get one of these. One finally popped up for an OK price. Backpack cdrom

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these I been wanting to use for my old laptops that don't have a cdrom.
How does it work?
Can you setup a DOS boot disk or Windows 95/98 boot disk to load the driver for this device so you can boot from it with a boot disk ?

Reply 24395 of 52737, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this cool machine from the first owner. Needs a good cleaning, and unfortunately the original FDD isn't there any more, but it still works just fine! Look forward to 'restoring' it!

qDbdd7Ml.jpg

dFi9H4pl.jpg

pWUj2KOl.jpg

Ooooh, cool:

LCqL2Ffl.jpg

YdR1Ghll.jpg

Needs some TLC. Battery has not leaked

sVYCxtWl.jpg

There were some cool Keen Shareware floppies included:

I8oHMdol.jpg

JbiFZEjl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 24396 of 52737, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I have one of these I been wanting to use for my old laptops that don't have a cdrom. How does it work? Can you setup a DOS boot […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Had also been looking to get one of these. One finally popped up for an OK price. Backpack cdrom

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these I been wanting to use for my old laptops that don't have a cdrom.
How does it work?
Can you setup a DOS boot disk or Windows 95/98 boot disk to load the driver for this device so you can boot from it with a boot disk ?

It has a special driver for use within pure DOS mode.
You boot to DOS, then run a LOADCD.BAT which loads the drivers and MSCDEX so you can use it in DOS before running the full install for it.

But you can't boot directly from the drive.

The reason I wanted this one is because it has a built in 16-bit sound card. Pretty sure it is ESS-1688 based which also means it has ESFM.
Sound is not usable from pure DOS, but still a good solution for running DOS games from within Windows.

There are also older models which had a sound card option. The sound driver is the same for all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24397 of 52737, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Murugan wrote:
Turbo -> wrote:

^^^^ That is a very nice case you got there Murugan. It would be a shame if it went to scrap.

Thanks! That's what I thought too. Probably will save some more in the years to come if he keeps getting this stuff.

After the test, I am going to put it away and when all my other projects are done,I'll give this baby a proper inside 😀

Hey, don't knock the inside you got there...

That rev 3.10 P55T2P4 is probably pretty much the ultimate Intel-chipset So7 board; with the extra tagRAM it can cache 512MB, with its tight HX EDO timings it can outperform a VX with SDRAM and come close to a TX, it can run K6+ CPUs (with (beta) BIOS support) etc.

Admittedly it would be better off in a late 1990s case rather than this one, but that's something worth the effort 😀

Reply 24398 of 52737, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got this ATI VGA Wonder+ 512KB

IMG_0664.JPG
Filename
IMG_0664.JPG
File size
143.12 KiB
Views
File license

Will test it in a 486 system some time this week 😀

If it works, I'll probably reserve it for a 286 or 386 system

Does the 45 MHz crystal mean it runs at that speed?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24399 of 52737, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Artex wrote:

Interesting. Cool that you still have the receipt. Most of the sites I looked at indicated February of 2000, with review samples being made available late 1999. I had a 32MB TNT2 Ultra back then and I remember being ticked off because I just got it when I heard of the upcoming release of the DDR version of the Gf256 that kicked my card's ass.

It's kind of weird it got released before most of the reviews. Got this card as a christmas gift from my parents (also paid a bit myself) and used it as my main card until September 2002 when I got a Radeon 9700 Pro. Were aming for the ATI Rage Fury Maxx, but I'm glad I ended up with the Annihilator Pro instead.

Perhaps the retro hardware community doesn't consider this a '1999 card' because it wasn't generally available to most gamers until 2000. This is a sample size of one, after all; more info is needed. Alternatively, perhaps one week is just too short for most to associate a card with that year.

My list of wanted hardware