Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21120 of 52352, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

IBM ThinkPad A31 - sadly not the A31p that was advertised. 1.6 GHz P4M, 16MB ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 graphics, 1GB RAM; needs some TLC and a good clean, but bar a flakey power port, it all seems to work fine.

Very nice; it seems rather uncommon to see the A series ThinkPads anymore.

Reply 21121 of 52352, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had an A20, bought it at the local thrift store but I've got totally no idea what spec it had and what happened to it later. I wasn't into retro computing back then yet but I hope was sold rather than scrapped.

Reply 21122 of 52352, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

That disclaimer is not legally binding. If the lot is not as advertised (and it obviously isn't if it showed a boot screen for a damaged CPU) you can get a refund through eBay/Paypal.

I'm definitely going to try and recoup some of the cost. We'll see...

Shit...let us know how this goes on. The seller has 100% positive rating with 400 sells. Would be surprised if he insists on that price...

Reply 21123 of 52352, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/PziZltdl.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Zza65AJl.jpg […]
Show full quote

PziZltdl.jpg
Zza65AJl.jpg

IBM ThinkPad A31 - sadly not the A31p that was advertised. 1.6 GHz P4M, 16MB ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 graphics, 1GB RAM; needs some TLC and a good clean, but bar a flakey power port, it all seems to work fine.

The power port has a plug on the motherboard so it is an easy replacement if needed.

Not that many Working A31p units around anymore (judging from the Thinkpad forum I am a member of). I have one A31p unit and it is nice.

A series laptops are not that common anymore. Having 2 removable drive bays where you can ditch the floppy and put an extra HD in for easy backup is nice.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 21124 of 52352, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awaiting delivery of another Matrox video card:

39ab3bf46ced9d4856c25205fb92582a_XL.jpg

A Matrox Mystique PCI 😀

I want an m3d (PowerVR) but they're so expensive!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21125 of 52352, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like mga chip broken on photo.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 21126 of 52352, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's not the actual card, just a photo I nicked online... hopefully mine's not broken 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21128 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

That's just a scratch. And it's from vgamuseum 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZbGbrP3Jh0

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21129 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a box of stuff in the mail today... complete garbage. 🤣

It was a super cheap lot... the shipping was free and I paid probably a third of what it cost to ship this... I have no idea why they even bothered. There were some interesting looking pieces in the lot (namely, a card that I'm 99% certain is an STB Nitro ISA... a Cirrus Logic card which is one of the best ISA VGA cards around). Sadly, that card and a couple others that were supposed to be included weren't even in the box! There was, unexpectedly a TYAN S1854 motherboard and a Number 9 "Ticket 2 Ride" Revolution 3D AGP, which is neat, but both will need some minor repairs. Aside from this, the rest of the stuff was completely destroyed. Demolished even... capacitors and snapped off memory slot clips were laying all over in the box, no packaging etc.

I guess I should be glad the good stuff wasn't in the box... I doubt it would have survived. 🤣

Anyone know if the Revolution 3D has any special uses, like proprietary 3D accelerated games or anything?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21130 of 52352, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

Been quite quiet of late with little to no acquisitions... apart from this: -

Need to do a RTC job on it, but after this... should be good to go!

Oh man! I had one of these back in ~2000 (even then kind of past its prime)... great find. Wish I still had mine.

Reply 21131 of 52352, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

I'm definitely going to try and recoup some of the cost. We'll see...

Also, make sure you crap all over his seller rating. Gotta sift the wheat from the chaff.

Having said that, you're Artex, Wolf of eBay. You're probably just sandbagging until the plan comes to fruition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXA5yOV82AE

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21132 of 52352, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

EDIT: looked again and at the very bottom there is: vends dans l'état, aucune réclamation Translated it means: Sold as is, no claim
That's just.......damn. Even I am pissed just when reading about it. I really hope someone can fix it for you or something.

When will you people realize that something like that does not mean anything. If you sell on eBay then you follow its policy. Whatever you put in description means nada. What really means something is under what condition you list it like New, Used, etc. For "Sold as is, no claim" you better list it under "for parts not working." All Artex has to to is to mention that the damn thing does not work and that "merci" is not gonna help him.

Don't be a fool Artex and send this junk back. You will find this processor in better condition.

Reply 21133 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ebay wrote:

You have to accept the buyer's return request if:

The item is damaged or doesn't match the listing description
The request falls within your return policy

THAT SAID, all the seller needs to do is to claim Artex broke it.

ebay wrote:

If you receive a different item, an item in a different condition than the way the buyer received it, or an empty package, contact the buyer and try to resolve the issue. If you're unsuccessful, report the buyer to us.

going back to the first, you can dictate your own return policy. I have mine set at "no returns". So even if I sell something as "new" I still don't offer refunds. I do my best to be totally open and honest. Hell, I just sold a mac classic II and I even told people one of the screws was the wrong type.

The seller should offer a significant refund. I wouldn't expect one, but he should.

Reply 21134 of 52352, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
THAT SAID, all the seller needs to do is to claim Artex broke it. […]
Show full quote
ebay wrote:

ebay wrote:

If you receive a different item, an item in a different condition than the way the buyer received it, or an empty package, contact the buyer and try to resolve the issue. If you're unsuccessful, report the buyer to us.

going back to the first, you can dictate your own return policy. I have mine set at "no returns". So even if I sell something as "new" I still don't offer refunds. I do my best to be totally open and honest. Hell, I just sold a mac classic II and I even told people one of the screws was the wrong type.

The seller should offer a significant refund. I wouldn't expect one, but he should.

eBay is my second home. I shop a lot and I had been screwed over many time by some sellers, but not a single loss. I always get my money back.
No you can't dictate you own policy unless you sell on your own site and not eBay. Yes, eBay lets you change some options and that's about it. Yes, you can set your auctions at "no returns", but now go ahead and read what's written under it. That's right, it says "Money Back Guarantee: Get the item you ordered or get your money back."
Which is why 99% of the time eBay sides with a buyer. OK?
And yes, seller will take a hit because he did not picture those pins on the processor, so the game will be over pretty quick whether he accepts returns or not. This is 100% winning situation. If anything goes wrong, Artex can send me a PM and I'll tell him what to do next.

Reply 21135 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*SCOFFS DERISIVELY*

I recently bought a cheap tape dispenser, some tape, peanuts and bubble wrap all in one order from someone with like 100k+ feedback. They never shipped the dispenser. they ignored my email, and sent it to ebay for a decision. ebay immediately dismissed my claim as according to the tracking number, it was delivered. Even went so far as to physically call ebay. The person on the phone LITERALLY asked me "can you prove it wasnt in the box?".

Oh, and I wasn't allowed to leave negative feedback either was the REAL cherry on that suck salad. "you cannot leave neutral or negative feedback after a dismissed claim"

I'm pissed just writing about it. All over a $5 tape dispenser.

Fuck Supplyhut. Fuck them right in the ear.

Reply 21136 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
THAT SAID, all the seller needs to do is to claim Artex broke it. […]
Show full quote
ebay wrote:

ebay wrote:

Any seller that does that has something to hide or isn't practicing solid business ethics. If there product which is supposedly working is good enough for my money, it better at least arrive in working order. If it fails 20 minutes in (as several GPUs have done on me), oh well that's on me.

That being said: eBay needs a better fraudulent return prevention system.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21137 of 52352, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you list ANYTHING under the "used" category you are stating the item is in usable/working condition.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 21138 of 52352, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
*SCOFFS DERISIVELY* […]
Show full quote

*SCOFFS DERISIVELY*

I recently bought a cheap tape dispenser, some tape, peanuts and bubble wrap all in one order from someone with like 100k+ feedback. They never shipped the dispenser. they ignored my email, and sent it to ebay for a decision. ebay immediately dismissed my claim as according to the tracking number, it was delivered. Even went so far as to physically call ebay. The person on the phone LITERALLY asked me "can you prove it wasnt in the box?".

Oh, and I wasn't allowed to leave negative feedback either was the REAL cherry on that suck salad. "you cannot leave neutral or negative feedback after a dismissed claim"

I'm pissed just writing about it. All over a $5 tape dispenser.

Fuck Supplyhut. Fuck them right in the ear.

Then why you didn't ask them if they can prove that you received it? The tracking number means nada. Unless they have your signature otherwise they can kiss your ass. Even then a mailman can just sign it for you...Everyone should know by now that USPS is full of shit and your luck really depends on your local mailman. Nothing stops him from telling that an item was delivered. The real question can they actually prove that? No, they can't. I had a similar situation to yours and eBay also dismissed my claim, but after I spoke to them directly I got my money back immediately. Although I believe my packages were stolen by f-g contractors working next door that day. Still, this is USPS fault and not mine. Because a mailman left packages in my porch insecure. This still shocks me to this day been living over 10 years in this country. A mailman should never leave packages in your porch.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2018-01-03, 15:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 21139 of 52352, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

If you list ANYTHING under the "used" category you are stating the item is in usable/working condition.

There you go, at least someone gets it.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2018-01-03, 15:52. Edited 2 times in total.