Topic actions

Reply 22020 of 52727, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chose007 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Well, somebody posted a boxed (new old stock supposedly) Intel VS440FX Pentium Pro motherboard for $12.50 shipped so I bought it. Now I just need a Pentium Pro CPU.
This board was only tested with the 256k L2 cache CPUs. Anybody know if the 512k or 1MB L2 cache CPUs will work with this board?

Nick pick. I tried 200/1M in lot of all types boards and working fine. Some older boards showing 0 MB cache in bios/post but in operating system CPU-Z showed 1M.
Problem is with support PII Overdrive 333, but my tip is that thiese Intel boards can run it.

Early chipsets won't be able to use the 1mb cache. I have several motherboards, same brand, same manufacturer, But two different revisions. The earlier board would not even post with 1mb chips, where an almost identical board with a later revision works just fine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22021 of 52727, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And that has to do with chipset or BIOS revisions, right?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22022 of 52727, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I got more luck

then looks like this, none cache

img9279res.jpg

img9281res.jpg

or here showing 256kB with pair of 200/1M ... board originaly support to 200/512

dscf2114re.jpg

dscf2123re.jpg

EDIT: in NT4 is all ok

dscf2916re.jpg

Last edited by chose007 on 2018-02-20, 19:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 22023 of 52727, by Mcstfuerson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, first post here. I’ve been collecting AGP graphics cards recently and have become quite addicted.

Bought a Ti4400 on eBay. Card looked a little dirty in the pictures, nothing major but when I got it, I realized it was completely grease(?) covered. Possibly used in a kitchen? The push pin screws were so brittle that they broke when I flipped the card over and the heatsink fell off. Also there’s at least one failing capacitor visible. So here’s my new overheated, grease covered Ti4400...I’ve got some work to do.

Edit: Model is MSI G4Ti4400-TD

Attachments

Reply 22024 of 52727, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do an actual benchmark checking the cache. cachecheck or speedsys. That will differentiate between a display bug, and something more serious.

Reply 22025 of 52727, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got something awesome to break by streak of bad luck with vintage hardware. A NOS CTX PR711FL 17 CRT screen!

esCLXd5m.jpg

qyuXQZMm.jpg

As far as I understand, CTX is somewhat of a budget brand, but this particular model is a Trinitron.

It's my first NOS screen, and I really like how bright it is. Huge step up from my old 15" Sony Trinitron screen.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22027 of 52727, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mcstfuerson wrote:

Hi, first post here. I’ve been collecting AGP graphics cards recently and have become quite addicted.

Bought a Ti4400 on eBay. Card looked a little dirty in the pictures, nothing major but when I got it, I realized it was completely grease(?) covered. Possibly used in a kitchen? The push pin screws were so brittle that they broke when I flipped the card over and the heatsink fell off. Also there’s at least one failing capacitor visible. So here’s my new overheated, grease covered Ti4400...I’ve got some work to do.

I would definitely return it.

Reply 22028 of 52727, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

As far as I understand, CTX is somewhat of a budget brand,

Not always. I had this one back in 2007-08 and it was a killer monitor.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16824103203

Reply 22029 of 52727, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
This one was also on Marktplaats, the previous one also was on Marktplaats. There is one left there now, the 286 in Rotterdam. […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

<snip>
That case must have been very popular in NL >25y ago. My first thought when I saw this was that you had bought the one on Marktplaats (NL Craigslist-equivalent) since Saturday claiming to be a 286 - but nope, double-checked and it's slightly different (it has a CDRom and a Shitec badge instead of Target). So there's still one more out there 😉

SpectriaForce wrote:

There actually were several of those on MP last week. I’ve also picked one up, it is too a 386SX with what looks to be the same motherboard but with 1 MB, OAK VGA, Seagate 3.5” HDD, different case badge etc. Mine cost nothing except for petrol and some beer for the previous owner 😊

The case is of pretty high quality. Mine is not even discolorated.

This one was also on Marktplaats, the previous one also was on Marktplaats. There is one left there now, the 286 in Rotterdam.

SpectriaForce, where did you get yours? I must have missed that ad.

And I can confirm the quality is very high. Mine are also not discolored. I think the plastic is of a type that isn't prone to that. The case is compact but therefore also very cramped. I believe it also doesn't support all possible ISA slot positions.

I have two of these cases. The reason they don't get yellow is that they're painted white!

Reply 22030 of 52727, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Be sure to check the capacitors on the motherboard. A lot of Dells from the P4 era (especially the ones that open like a book) were plagued with some of the worst caps out there... leaky, bulging, etc.

I've already inspected both the motherboard and the power supply, no bulging/leaking caps there, so it should be safe.

Reply 22031 of 52727, by Mcstfuerson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tegrady wrote:
Mcstfuerson wrote:

I would definitely return it.

We came to an agreement and I wound up keeping the card.

It does actually work so I've been trying my best to clean it to an acceptable standard. Whatever grease/film is on the PCB does not come off with just IPA 91%. I spot tested a corner of the card and it seems degreaser followed by IPA will clean it back to a glossy finish however, it doesn't restore the original color of the board. I'm not sure why that's happening. I'll post in the retro activity thread when I'm finished cleaning.

Last edited by Mcstfuerson on 2018-02-21, 21:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22032 of 52727, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wallet hurts.

Bought:

EVGA 7950GT (trying to get all the 6 and 7 series card I want before the prices become TOO ridiculous)
EVGA 8600GT (was packaged with the 7950GT)
ASUS 6800GT (PCIe)
XFX GTX 285 Black Edition

Those cost me $100. I'm buying a 680i SLI with a Core2 Extreme to replace my dead 680i (the new one will be my 3rd) for $45, and I offered a guy 30 for a very rare 7900 GTO 512 (they were only made for a month to get rid of remaining G7x silicon) and a Medion GF3 64MB. What's worse is i need two of everything SLI capable in the GF6 and 7 PCIe lineup and then I need AGP versions of those which have AGP versions.

This is going to get expensive.

Goodbye money for food, hello ramen noodles.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22033 of 52727, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Goodbye money for food, hello ramen noodles.

I'm quite partial to these: https://www.amazon.com/Indomie-Instant-Fried- … 6WJ69SMZF4VHCAC

Reply 22034 of 52727, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Beautiful screen! NOS is so nice for a CRT and getting hard to find - fingers crossed it lasts 20 years.

It truly is awesome. I've just played through several missions of Tiberian Sun on it — so beautiful and vivid. I think I actually played that game on a Samsung SyncMaster 3NE (a somewhat common cheap 14'" inch screen in 90s' Russia) almost 20 years ago and I immediately tell the difference in image quality and detail. Feels so different now.

I guess my next step is upgrading my Creative SBS20 speakers to something fancy like Roland MA-8 or something by Yamaha, Altec Lansing or Cambridge. On the other hand, maybe I can find a decent model that simply stayed in production for 20+ years? Something similar to what Sony MDR-7506 is to headphones.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22036 of 52727, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never cared for rabbit. Used to raise them for meat as a kid. Don't get me wrong, it's not a moral thing, I just don't care for the taste. Also the wild rabbits around here are tiny and probably the size of your fist once you get rid of the fur. Not really worth the effort when there is a mcdonalds only a block away.

Reply 22037 of 52727, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I've never cared for rabbit. Used to raise them for meat as a kid. Don't get me wrong, it's not a moral thing, I just don't care for the taste. Also the wild rabbits around here are tiny and probably the size of your fist once you get rid of the fur. Not really worth the effort when there is a mcdonalds only a block away.

I live 20 miles from town. I have my choice of: Squirrel, Rabbit, and Possum.

My 1200FPS pellet rifle should be able to take one, though I have no idea how to prepare them.

I may actually check and see if I can get that ramen locally, it looks good.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22038 of 52727, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
This one was also on Marktplaats, the previous one also was on Marktplaats. There is one left there now, the 286 in Rotterdam. […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

<snip>
That case must have been very popular in NL >25y ago. My first thought when I saw this was that you had bought the one on Marktplaats (NL Craigslist-equivalent) since Saturday claiming to be a 286 - but nope, double-checked and it's slightly different (it has a CDRom and a Shitec badge instead of Target). So there's still one more out there 😉

SpectriaForce wrote:

There actually were several of those on MP last week. I’ve also picked one up, it is too a 386SX with what looks to be the same motherboard but with 1 MB, OAK VGA, Seagate 3.5” HDD, different case badge etc. Mine cost nothing except for petrol and some beer for the previous owner 😊

The case is of pretty high quality. Mine is not even discolorated.

This one was also on Marktplaats, the previous one also was on Marktplaats. There is one left there now, the 286 in Rotterdam.

SpectriaForce, where did you get yours? I must have missed that ad.

And I can confirm the quality is very high. Mine are also not discolored. I think the plastic is of a type that isn't prone to that. The case is compact but therefore also very cramped. I believe it also doesn't support all possible ISA slot positions.

Mine was most difficult to find (I've seen the other ads as well), it was part of a lot of old pc's. The seller had a silver plastic crap pc as the main photo. I negotiated the deal extremely quickly and was one of the first to see the ad 😊

Ah, lucky and/or skillfull! I should ban myself from Markplaats, I buy too much and I'm running out of space. Selling some stuff I don't need is an option, but also a hassle.

1982 to 2001

Reply 22039 of 52727, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
I live 20 miles from town. I have my choice of: Squirrel, Rabbit, and Possum. […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

I live 20 miles from town. I have my choice of: Squirrel, Rabbit, and Possum.

My 1200FPS pellet rifle should be able to take one, though I have no idea how to prepare them.

I may actually check and see if I can get that ramen locally, it looks good.

I had rabbit when I was young, my grandmother in Greece raised them (they can get pretty big). Couldn't eat one today (have seen one in the backyard a few times over the years).
Possums are ugly , was looking at one the other night in a tree in the back yard while putting out bird seed. I feed stray cats to leave the birds alone, possums like leftover dry cat food.

Ramen noodle mixes are so full of salt its not funny.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software