Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6420 of 52770, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This doesn't really count as hardware but it's kind of cool none the less. 🤣

I'm not an apple fan and I've never really had any desire to own one but I just couldn't pass up this 3.5" diskette storage box when I found it at the local goodwill for 99 cents. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy_d8g1vsj_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8g20ej.jpg

(Also ignore the date, the camera is old as hell and I was too lazy to adjust it. 🤣)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6421 of 52770, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're Doomed!!;) No seriously. Good find.

Just sorting through a plastic storage bin full of floppy disks of various capacities I've accumulated and coming to the realisation most of it is redundant now I have a decent network in place. Got my eye on some auctions ending tomorrow.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6422 of 52770, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's completely true, once you network everything up and at least one computer in the network can use USB then there really is no point for diskettes or even writing CD-RW disks. 😒

Still I like to keep them around and certainly would rather have a physical copy over a digital one every day.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6423 of 52770, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
I'll try running some benchmarks next week, with and whithout the MaxPhysPage setting to limit the amount of memory Windows can […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

Hmm. Based on what AnandTech had to say about the VP2, it should support up to 512 MB of RAM, 2MB cache, and all of the RAM should be cachable. I have no idea if you need a specific amount of cache to cache that much RAM, or what limitations your specific board may have, but...

I'll try running some benchmarks next week, with and whithout the MaxPhysPage setting to limit the amount of memory Windows can see.

In any case... THEY ARRIVED!!!! I'm now part of the Voodoo club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God, the package took its sweet time to arrive here from South Korea... and, to my surprise, I had to pay an ungodly amout of taxes to get them from the post office, but I REALLY wanted them =)

Now I need to make a cable to connect my twins in SLI mode... Though untill I get my P3 retro-rig that might not be very useful, since my MMX probably can't push a single one to its limits anyway.

Here's an idea for you http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/How_to_ma … doo_2_SLI_cable

Reply 6424 of 52770, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Given that intel chisets have cacheable limit of 64 MB, 256MB just as pointless as 384MB.

My Compaq has a VIA chipset, and I don't think it has this limit (even the brochire itself claims 384 to be supported w/o any comments on it not being cacheable). I certainly didn't notice any slowdown.

EDIT: The service manual claims that memory above the first 256MB is non-cacheable. It doesn't say if I need to increase the cache to 512KB or if the onboard 256KB cache is enough. It has a VIA VP2/AMD640 chipset. It seems to be performing well enough, but are there any tests that I could run that would indicate if the memory is being cached or not?

I was just assuming you have intel chip set, they are much more common 😀

Stojke wrote:

How much does 430NX cache?

Just as 430HX, no limit. But no support for SDRAM either.

Reply 6427 of 52770, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a note to the i430NX - supports 512MB FPM (not EDO) and has no cacheable limit. However in comparison to modern socket 7 chipsets, this one runs very slow. P166 @ i430NX is ~ 30 - 40% slower than P166 @ Aladdin V.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6428 of 52770, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Floppy disks are still far from redundant. Many old systems need you to use a floppy for updating BIOS, for example, and there's probably plenty of old systems that aren't capable of network booting or anything like that.

Reply 6429 of 52770, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whilst not retro in itself, I got one of these just now;
Lowest-Price-Free-shipping2012-October-Updated-MiniPro-TL866cs-True-USB-Willem-TL866-Programmer.jpg

No more hot flashing for me 😁

Also grabbed two HN27C1024's as I don't plan on trying to flash anything new to the chip in my T3200SX and would rather just use a new one in case something goes wrong.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6430 of 52770, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

Just a note to the i430NX - supports 512MB FPM (not EDO) and has no cacheable limit. However in comparison to modern socket 7 chipsets, this one runs very slow. P166 @ i430NX is ~ 30 - 40% slower than P166 @ Aladdin V.

My Dual NX430 system supports both EDO and FPM. Currently it is running 128MB of EDO RAM.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 6431 of 52770, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have bought some new toys lately.

First something retro.

ATI Radeon 7000 All in Wonder, it was part of a lot of 13 AGP cards I bought for ~20 Euro
It works perfectly and im surprised how well it performs, especially running Unreal (Gold).

Radeon7000AIW.jpg

Next up something less retro.

A combo with a DFI s939 Ultra-D motherboard, an Athlon 4000+ CPU, 3GB very fast DDR memory and a Geforce 6600GT
I had to pay though the nose to win this auction, 61 Euro with shipping.

DFINF4UltraD.jpg

OCZPC4000Platinum.jpg

Geforce6600GT.jpg

Finally something not very retro at all but it will be sometime in the future.

A HIS Radeon HD3870 with a very very heavy copper cooler, I only paid 6 Euro!

HISHD3870.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6432 of 52770, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice deals. i just paid too much for a phenom ii x6 with board and 8gb ram, but it really flies.

lately i've also bought:

- hercules prophet 4500 kyro2

- gf mx440 agp

- an abit an7

- a "gainward warranty replacement card" gtx 570 gs, paid too much for that too i expect, but it looks new - still has the protective film on the hsf. came from a dealer so i guess it's what gainward would have issued as warranty replacements but in the event didn't have to

Reply 6434 of 52770, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
Whilst not retro in itself, I got one of these just now; http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/620137253_1/Lowest-Price-Free-shipp […]
Show full quote

Lowest-Price-Free-shipping2012-October-Updated-MiniPro-TL866cs-True-USB-Willem-TL866-Programmer.jpg

Also grabbed two HN27C1024's as I don't plan on trying to flash anything new to the chip in my T3200SX and would rather just use a new one in case something goes wrong.

I have the same, which do work great.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6436 of 52770, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this new in box Taxan GTS Ultra Pro 2MB which is an ATI Mach32 ISA card with 2MB VRAM (fully upgraded). This will be nice in my 386 😀

I'll be uploading the diskettes to Vogonsdrivers 😀

2015-02-01%2017.44.31.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6437 of 52770, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:
HighTreason wrote:
Whilst not retro in itself, I got one of these just now; *Pic* […]
Show full quote

*Pic*

I have the same, which do work great.

Got the same, came in handy multiple times already.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 6438 of 52770, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Got this new in box Taxan GTS Ultra Pro 2MB which is an ATI Mach32 ISA card with 2MB VRAM (fully upgraded). This will be nice in […]
Show full quote

Got this new in box Taxan GTS Ultra Pro 2MB which is an ATI Mach32 ISA card with 2MB VRAM (fully upgraded). This will be nice in my 386 😀

I'll be uploading the diskettes to Vogonsdrivers 😀

2015-02-01%2017.44.31.jpg

Ok, you was the one whos bought the first one..

Iam bought the second one.. (so i have got the same package here) I have also got it planned to use this graphics card in my 386 system..

I recommend to winimage the disks first.. Maybe they would only read good on the first attempt.. If you have a backup i would write the disks again.. (because of demagnetization) How longer the disk where written how higher the chances are that these floppy would fail on reading..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6439 of 52770, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Where is the identifier stored that makes a Creative card different to a Diamond card?

PCI SUBSYS and REV values.

I wonder those IDs would only affect the recognition of the cards. Once the cards are both picked up by the same driver, I can only think of two things that may prevent them from working together:
1) the driver intentionally disables mismatched cards; but under some other cases mismatching works with official driver;
2) some cards are designed to work in an incompatible fashion with other cards.
Too bad there is no video rom on V2 to play with.