Topic actions

Reply 23081 of 52744, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

So, I bought an nVidia Geforce4Ti 4200 128MB AGP video card at a price that was worth the gamble, it came today.

I took the time to test it, unfortunately, it has screen artifacts, I've tried both VGA and DVI outputs and I tested the card in two different computers (which are my Dell Dimension 4600 and my Athlon 64 rig with an ASUS A8V motherboard).

I bought this card to use as a spare for my Windows 98 build just in case I ever saw the need for an nVidia GPU (for things like table fog and 8-bit paletted textures), but it turned out to have technical difficulties. Assuming the seller will let me keep it upon refund, I wonder which area is to blame, the RAM chips, the GPU chip, or the missing pin gap on the AGP connector.

It's a Gateway OEM btw. My X700 which was there entry level performance tower in 2002 had the same model.

I knew that, I was a little devastated to find that it didn't work properly, thankfully the seller gave me a refund and I bought another Geforce4 Ti4200 to replace it. The replacement card came today, I tested it in the Dell, gave it three passes in Video Memory Stress Test, and it actually works. The two differences are the working one has 64MB of RAM instead of 128MB (not a problem for me since I'm using it as a backup card for 9x games), and it's actively cooled (the old broken one has a passive cooler, as shown in the pictures a few pages ago).

When I removed the heatsink on the broken (passively cooled 128MB) one, I noticed a transistor broke off, I guess that's what was causing it to artifact.

Reply 23082 of 52744, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

So, I bought an nVidia Geforce4Ti 4200 128MB AGP video card at a price that was worth the gamble, it came today.

I took the time to test it, unfortunately, it has screen artifacts, I've tried both VGA and DVI outputs and I tested the card in two different computers (which are my Dell Dimension 4600 and my Athlon 64 rig with an ASUS A8V motherboard).

I bought this card to use as a spare for my Windows 98 build just in case I ever saw the need for an nVidia GPU (for things like table fog and 8-bit paletted textures), but it turned out to have technical difficulties. Assuming the seller will let me keep it upon refund, I wonder which area is to blame, the RAM chips, the GPU chip, or the missing pin gap on the AGP connector.

It's a Gateway OEM btw. My X700 which was there entry level performance tower in 2002 had the same model.

I knew that, I was a little devastated to find that it didn't work properly, thankfully the seller gave me a refund and I bought another Geforce4 Ti4200 to replace it. The replacement card came today, I tested it in the Dell, gave it three passes in Video Memory Stress Test, and it actually works. The two differences are the working one has 64MB of RAM instead of 128MB (not a problem for me since I'm using it as a backup card for 9x games), and it's actively cooled (the old broken one has a passive cooler, as shown in the pictures a few pages ago).

When I removed the heatsink on the broken (passively cooled 128MB) one, I noticed a transistor broke off, I guess that's what was causing it to artifact.

Yeah MSI makes the card btw. It's 100 percent identical to my retail MSI 4200 in every way except that mine has 64MB, I think. I admit I didn't pay it much attenting since I considered it underpowered for the tower it came out of - a 2.4GHz Prescott RD-RAM system and it's passive cooled.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23083 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This popped up for sale at at acceptable to me price.

card-on-box.jpg
Filename
card-on-box.jpg
File size
337.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
box_front.jpg
Filename
box_front.jpg
File size
308.43 KiB
Views
File license
box_back.jpg
Filename
box_back.jpg
File size
282.07 KiB
Views
File license
manuals.jpg
Filename
manuals.jpg
File size
237.72 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23087 of 52744, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:

No, not the same copy which sold for over 2k recently.

2k is the going rate for these nowadays? Wow, people are crazy. I should sell all of my 3dfx gear asap... 😁

Beautiful addition by the way.

Reply 23088 of 52744, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Picked up two motherboards with cards and a keyboard this afternoon: […]
Show full quote

Picked up two motherboards with cards and a keyboard this afternoon:

full.png

MSI MS-6168v2 - another i440BX uATX + Voodoo3 onboard. This one has the exact same cap burst as the last one.
- P3-500 Katmai
- Matrox MGA100 OEM
- CIS WS-5614HSMG (Win)modem
- 2x 128MB "DIMM" noname memory. Riight...

Tyan S1846 Tsunami - i440BX, awful AMI WinBIOS, but the most ATAPI Removable Media options I have ever seen
- P2-350 Deschutes
- "EPC-C4DWV810" PCI sound card with Trident 4DWave-DX chip
- yet another Realtek RTL8139C 10/100 card - Skeletor has obviously had enough of these... 😉
- 64 and 128MB SIMMs, at least one of which is iffy

Digital R14958TWGR PS/2 keyboard. Decent enough rubber-dome thing, with QWERTZ-layout to emphasise the fact that anyone touching my computers really needs to learn to type blind 😜

SKELETOR MASTER RACE

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23089 of 52744, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some shopping on a recent trip to the mainland. Got a Yamaha FB-01 off Craigslist for my Yamaha synth rig and a couple interesting video cards (with annoying SFF brackets, but I'll figure something out) from Vancouver FreeGeek.

mtx1.jpg
Filename
mtx1.jpg
File size
178.37 KiB
Views
File license
mtx2.jpg
Filename
mtx2.jpg
File size
299.25 KiB
Views
File license

The left one is a Matrox G550 with a DMS-59 connector, and luckily they had dual-DVI *and* VGA dongles in their bin of random cables. The right one is a 256MB PCI FirePro 2260 with dual DisplayPort - never seen that before, so I grabbed it. I have an interesting board on the way I can use it in. They were cheap.

To be honest, I wanted a PCI G550 but between the two of them I've sort-of got that. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23090 of 52744, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
Did some shopping on a recent trip to the mainland. Got a Yamaha FB-01 off Craigslist for my Yamaha synth rig and a couple inter […]
Show full quote

Did some shopping on a recent trip to the mainland. Got a Yamaha FB-01 off Craigslist for my Yamaha synth rig and a couple interesting video cards (with annoying SFF brackets, but I'll figure something out) from Vancouver FreeGeek.

mtx1.jpg
mtx2.jpg

The left one is a Matrox G550 with a DMS-59 connector, and luckily they had dual-DVI *and* VGA dongles in their bin of random cables. The right one is a 256MB PCI FirePro 2260 with dual DisplayPort - never seen that before, so I grabbed it. I have an interesting board on the way I can use it in. They were cheap.

To be honest, I wanted a PCI G550 but between the two of them I've sort-of got that. 😜

Don't trash those low-profile brackets. For every person like you looking to use them in a full-height system there's somebody with a low-profile system desperately looking for something that fits...

Reply 23091 of 52744, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Yeah I'll hang on to them, I've got a tool bin full of brackets. I likely have a full-size one that'll fit the Matrox already & I can make one for the ATI with a bit of drilling & filing.

The FirePro (FireMV??) is an interesting card, from what I can tell it's the rough equivalent of a Radeon HD3450. RV620 GPU, DX10.1 / OGL3.3 & supports quad monitors through the dual displayport outputs. Wonder how badly they gimped it to fit on the PCI bus?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23092 of 52744, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not your average post.

Picked up an old late 90's server rack for my home lab. I need a Proliant 7000-series server to put in it to replicate my first "real" I.T. job...

serverrack.jpg
Filename
serverrack.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

This was by FAR the most difficult retro purchase to get in the house...

Reply 23093 of 52744, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@liqmat
post some pics of the card/software in action 😀

Cardinal SNAPplus Box Contents.jpg
Filename
Cardinal SNAPplus Box Contents.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

After days of imaging, photographing and scanning I am happy to report the Cardinal SNAPplus complete archive is done and up @ -0°. Considering there was very little info and zero files for this card online this should cover collectors/preservationists who want to archive or use this card. It usually shows up on Ebay all by its lonely without any cables, docs or software. The cables are standard 4-pin S-Video/composite at one end, but 8-pin proprietary at the other. Luckily the manual has the pin outs so someone with some know-how could possibly build a cable if they really wanted to. The file rings in at 220MB and the user's manual was a pain to scan because of the way it was bound, but it came out very decent all things considered.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Cardinal

Will try to get a video together here shortly demonstrating how it works as well. May be a week or two before that all happens. One interesting thing I discovered is when I owned this card back in the day when I was doing video work the SNAPplus came with a super advanced MS-DOS graphics package called Mathematica Tempra. Unfortunately this SNAPplus did not come with Tempra. The SNAPplus I have now looks to be a very late, probably last and latest, revision card and dropped the DOS software. So I found a sealed copy of Mathematica Tempra Pro and that is on the way. It allows you to stream video in DOS via a capture card while you overlay graphics and animation on top to a second VCR. Incredibly advanced software for DOS at the time and it really was a pleasure to work with. The workflow was super slick. Looking forward to firing that up when it arrives.

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-12-01, 03:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23094 of 52744, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won this auction a couple of days ago (only bidder), for $38. It's a Super Micro P6DBE. I was going to shoot for a dual PII 450 setup, but decided to go with a dual 400 instead, seeing as I already have a PII 400. Found another PII 400 on ebay with a matching heatsink, for $12.

(Seller's photo)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    340.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 23095 of 52744, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Will you be uploading to vogonsdrivers as well? I think that will be easier for some users to find.

Downloading the zip file to add to my drivers library now. Thanks. I don't have the card yet, but always download obscure video drivers when I see them 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23096 of 52744, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Picked up two motherboards with cards and a keyboard this afternoon: […]
Show full quote

Picked up two motherboards with cards and a keyboard this afternoon:

MSI MS-6168v2 - another i440BX uATX + Voodoo3 onboard. This one has the exact same cap burst as the last one.
- P3-500 Katmai
- Matrox MGA100 OEM
- CIS WS-5614HSMG (Win)modem
- 2x 128MB "DIMM" noname memory. Riight...

Tyan S1846 Tsunami - i440BX, awful AMI WinBIOS, but the most ATAPI Removable Media options I have ever seen
- P2-350 Deschutes
- "EPC-C4DWV810" PCI sound card with Trident 4DWave-DX chip
- yet another Realtek RTL8139C 10/100 card - Skeletor has obviously had enough of these... 😉
- 64 and 128MB SIMMs, at least one of which is iffy

Digital R14958TWGR PS/2 keyboard. Decent enough rubber-dome thing, with QWERTZ-layout to emphasise the fact that anyone touching my computers really needs to learn to type blind 😜

I see you also drink red wine while assembling computers 😉

I got some more 386 CPUs for my collection: SX, EX, and CX.

kJQMRYHh.jpg

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 23097 of 52744, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@liqmat, nice find/save on the SNAPPlus and archive. Funny you should mention Tempra as I came across my old copy the other day when sorting thru some floppies - the one I have shipped with the Hercules Graphics Station card I used some time in the late 80s / early 90s

Reply 23098 of 52744, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Will you be uploading to vogonsdrivers as well? I think that will be easier for some users to find.

Downloading the zip file to add to my drivers library now. Thanks. I don't have the card yet, but always download obscure video drivers when I see them 😀

Don't have an account there, but if you are up to the task, by all means, please throw it up there. Taking it from complete obscurity to high availability will only help other collectors and presevationists in the future.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

@liqmat, nice find/save on the SNAPPlus and archive. Funny you should mention Tempra as I came across my old copy the other day when sorting thru some floppies - the one I have shipped with the Hercules Graphics Station card I used some time in the late 80s / early 90s

Oh man, I exclusivly used Tempra for all my video titling and graphics overlay work. It was so well designed. The fact I could have video coming into Tempra, do my graphic overlays and record it in realtime to a second VCR in DOS on a 386 SX/25 was really incredible at the time. Definitely image your copy as Tempra is not so easy to find anymore.

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-04-23, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23099 of 52744, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this L1N64-SLI WS/B in a few days ago.

FeEAWtql.jpg?1

iulG7tml.jpg

JCry4Dwl.jpg

mh1Ablml.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z