VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff works fine, but the FreeDOS CD doesn't pick up my optical drive. It boots fine but when it loads the driver it just says, no CD found. Well my floppy cable will be here soon, so I can try the W98SE boot disk and see if that CD Rom driver works!

Took some pics. Benchmarks are full speed and with L1 cache disabled...

It's so slow 🙁 Not sure what to do now... How do you guys emulate 386 performance on a Slot 1 system?

A 1.4 GHz P III seems ideal, but the boards that support this cpu don't have ISA slots. Or 1 if you are lucky...

dsc01453xt.jpg
dsc01454j.jpg
dsc01456h.jpg
dsc01458a.jpg

Reply 121 of 52620, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
archsan wrote:

btw, won this yesterday:

Did you pick it up? Because I saw such an item on eBay Germany the other day. I didn't bid, but I got another item. A midiman MM401 for 3 Euros 😁

still waiting for the invoice 😖 i hope he doesn't forget it... plus i'm snatching another mpu-ipc-t box -- even without the card it can still be a backup (who knows i'd get another bare mpu-ipc/t card someday)

btw that midiman 401thing, is that fully Roland compatible (intelligent mode etc)? -- that's a steal!

Reply 122 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it is 😉

And they are much cheaper. Midi Quest is another clone. They are also newer, so leass issues on faster machines. Basically like the Roland 401AT (that's the one for fast machines)

Reply 124 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tell me about it (the shouldn't be shopping too much 😁 )

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 125 of 52620, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The unknown video card is a Riva TNT2 M64.
The M64 was a castrated TNT2 model with half the bandwidth (64bit).

It should be faster than a regular TNT, but that's about it. They produced it, to have a low cost entry card for the TNT2 series.

::42::

Reply 126 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah TNT2! Good memories. I believe I played "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" on a friends machine in Australia...

My YouTube channel

Reply 127 of 52620, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mystery wrote:

The unknown video card is a Riva TNT2 M64.
The M64 was a castrated TNT2 model with half the bandwidth (64bit).

It should be faster than a regular TNT, but that's about it. They produced it, to have a low cost entry card for the TNT2 series.

This particular one is a 16MB one. There are also some 32MB versions around. I got a couple PCI ones. Pretty nice cards even though theres nothing special about them. They can be viewed kinda as if they would be a GF0-MX 😜

Reply 129 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thou shall not shop too much!

Oh dear. More stuff arived 😉

Also got my Phenom 555 so I can finally finish my desktop!

Reply 130 of 52620, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

... Benchmarks are full speed and with L1 cache disabled...

It's so slow 🙁 Not sure what to do now... How do you guys emulate 386 performance on a Slot 1 system?

A 1.4 GHz P III seems ideal, but the boards that support this cpu don't have ISA slots. Or 1 if you are lucky...

I understand you want to achieve 386 performance by using a slot 1 machine, and I believe you think that a P3 1.4 Ghz CPU with L1 cache disabled may do this. You say that the boards which support this CPU don't have ISA slots, or 1 if you are lucky. Most i440BX boards I have tested (eg Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) have 3 ISA slots and work just fine with a P3 1.4 Ghz CPU. You need a Powerleap adapter to do this. Please note that I have not tested the speed of these machines with L1 disabled yet. I'd do it right now, but I'm out of town, and can't really do much at the moment.

Reply 131 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow that would be awesome!

My comment about lack of ISA ports was regarding S370 boards...

If there is a way to get a 1.4 GHz cpu to work in a Slot 1 machine, yea that would be awesome...

I do have a MSI adapter here, but I just couldn't get it to work... And my BX440 board is also quite unstable... Must be on its way out 😁

Reply 133 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

lba mode 4 is that pio mode 4 ?

Yes it is!

The IDE > CF I got doesn't support UDMA and booting. I ordered 2 other models, but it might also be the cheap CF card...

Reply 134 of 52620, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. I'm using a socket 370 motherboard : DFI CA61, which has 3 ISA slots.

CA61B.jpg

2. Celeron is not a good candidate for achieving the 386 speed by disabling the internal cache. (It's already a crippled cpu.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 135 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that's a nice board!

With L1 cache disabled, I found that it didn't matter if it's a P3 or a Celeron. Pure clock speed and ram speed / timings seem to matter most...

My YouTube channel

Reply 136 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh boy I haven't felt so young in years 😁

Creative Labs Soundblaster 1.5

dsc01462jz.jpg

+ Two "CMS (Creative Music System) upgrade chips

dsc01465j.jpg

= A Soundblaster card + Gameblaster / CMS all in one!

dsc01535l.jpg

Which in turn = RETRO HEAVEN

dsc01543ba.jpg

I love how Gameblaster sounds. It is full Stereo and sounds more like 8 bit music than adlib FM synth. With headphones it's really quite amazing.

I also got two Soundblaster Pro 2.0 cards. These can't be upgraded to CMS, but they have OPL3 over OPL2 and they are less noisy than the mono Soundblaster cards. The mon cards sound really raw and historic, wheras the Pro 2.0s sound more refinded or even filtered... I will need to do a lot more listening, but currently I'm all over the place...

dsc01548e.jpg

Reply 137 of 52620, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love how Gameblaster sounds. It is full Stereo and sounds more like 8 bit music than adlib FM synth. With headphones it's really quite amazing.

I also got two Soundblaster Pro 2.0 cards. These can't be upgraded to CMS, but they have OPL3 over OPL2 and they are less noisy than the mono Soundblaster cards. The mon cards sound really raw and historic, wheras the Pro 2.0s sound more refinded or even filtered... I will need to do a lot more listening, but currently I'm all over the place...

dsc01548e.jpg[/quote]

SB Pro 2.0 "CT1680"? never seen that model before and I thought I had collected all of this old Creative made crap 😁

No MKE cd connnector seem to differ this model from the more "standard" CD1600 model...there's a model with Mitsumi CD-ROM interface also

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 138 of 52620, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting... I was just happy to be able to get one. They are hard to find 😁

I did a quick google and found this on wikipedia:

Creative's domination of the PC audiocard business soon had them selling the Sound Blaster Pro 2 OEM, CT1680, to customers for integration into pre-assembled PCs.

Might be the last revision of Soundblaster Pro 2.0???

I found that they are also really hard to insert into the ISA slot. The AWE64 just slid in...