VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22080 of 52354, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, I've been vaguely planning some upgrades for my PowerMac G4 Cube. I was looking around for a CPU module from a "Sawtooth", "Gigabit Ethernet" or "Digital Audio" G4 tower (Apple never officially named these so we go with what we've got) - these are all very similar machines & the CPUs were on little daughterboards that could be swapped around. I actually put out a want ad on a local site, not expecting much, but that netted me this:

mightyg4.jpg
Filename
mightyg4.jpg
File size
242.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...a mighty Sawtooth G4/400 AGP. Nice, except the CPU in the Cube is 450MHz so what's the point?

Well,

holycow.jpg
Filename
holycow.jpg
File size
289.71 KiB
Views
File license

Hot damn! A Powerlogix 1.7GHz dual upgrade board. NOW we're talking.

inside.jpg
Filename
inside.jpg
File size
405.51 KiB
Views
File license

It came stripped of hard drives, but other goodies inside included a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro (not a bad card but I've got some better options), a Sonnos Tempo ATA133 card (behind the Rage) giving 2 extra IDE channels, and 2GB PC100/133 SDRAM. Here's a shot of the back of that accelerator board:

accellerated.jpg
Filename
accellerated.jpg
File size
538.76 KiB
Views
File license

(I didn't want to take the heat sink off but yes, there are indeed two G4s on the other side.)

zip.jpg
Filename
zip.jpg
File size
150.52 KiB
Views
File license

^^ This one even came with a factory Zip250 drive. Apple went on a binge of including zip drives for a while, to appease prospective buyers who were scared of the removal of the 1.44MB floppy. Uncertain times!

(Ironically this would be like Apple of today removing the headphone jack, but then including an 8-in/8-out professional recording interface to make up for it. IF ONLY.)

So yeah, now I'm not sure what I want to do. I was going to use the CPU board in the Cube but maybe I should just restore this one and get it set up instead? It does everything the Cube can do and has PCI(-X) slots. Hmm. Either way, yes, there will be a build thread coming.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22082 of 52354, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ crude, but I laughed. 😜

Yeah figured you'd be into the duallie board. This is gonna replace my dual-2.3 G5 that died on me last year (PSU issues), either in cube or tower form, so it has a job for the time being. But sure, will let you know. 😉

(The guy I got it from mentioned he had the ORIGINAL BOX for the accelerator board too, will absolutely be grabbing that if he finds it!)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22084 of 52354, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
Received this beauty in the mail today […]
Show full quote

Received this beauty in the mail today

IMG_20180222_200630.jpg

This was advertised as an IBM ThinkPad 380ED, but actually that's a 380XD ! The model number is 2635-9A0, I hope that's the model with the TFT screen (I looked at the video LGR made about another 380XD and he has the same model number, so maybe mine is exactly the same ? That would be awesome because that means I don't have to look for any other retro laptop 😁)

Only problem right now : I don't have the power adaptor so I can't turn on the damn thing 🙁
Yeah, 233MHz MMX to be exact, that's really good because I only expected a Pentium 166MHz MMX ^^. Plus the L2 cache is doubled.

I will finally be able to get rid of all my crappy/dead Toshiba laptops and some other retro laptops that I do not appreciate

You have no idea how jealous I am, I wish I had a Pentium 1 laptop with a TFT screen, all I got is a Toshiba 315CDS which is stuck on crappy DSTN. I should've fixed that Dell Latitude CP M166ST that I had as a tween instead of getting rid of it. 😢

EDIT: Quick question, does the NeoMagic 2200 audio chipset have good DOS compatibility? I can find some Dell Latitude CPi A-series laptops with that audio chipset rather than the Crystal CS4237 chip used in the CP/CPi D-series, so I need to know if the NeoMagic 2200 is any good for DOS before I decide on getting one of those laptops again.

Reply 22085 of 52354, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LChackr wrote:

😁 😁 😁 😁

Awesome find! Let's continue the theme:
khmZVD1h.jpg

CT 1350 Rev 3, got it to go along and test with my CMS chips..Matching serials on the box and card.
hKivEEyh.jpg

A second CT 1350 Rev 3 as well..but not CT 1320 as the box would indicate on the lower left corner looking at the version information.
DAc1JJUh.jpg

Have been enjoying my boxed LAPC a lot lately so decided to get a spare. Just a bare card..but at least now I can store my boxed one safely away.
RiJ8U5bh.jpg

However, best of all..not hardware but hardhead 😊
3GeM4lgh.jpg

Reply 22086 of 52354, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
blurks wrote:

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme

What a strange box. The 3D marble-textured word 'Graphics' doesn't match anything else in Creative's product line [...]

This wasn't a one-off. 3D Blaster Voodoo² had a similar texture pattern. I believe there was another one, but I can't remember right now.

@rikukos: Sweet stuff!

Reply 22087 of 52354, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:
LChackr wrote:

😁 😁 😁 😁

Awesome find! Let's continue the theme:

Awwww damn nice! Been looking for a boxed SB 1,5 or 2 in that box because it was my first soundcard ever.
Missed one lately on Amibay and that was the only one I found in years 😠 😠 .

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 22088 of 52354, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick update before bed: I chucked a spare 160GB IDE HDD into the G4 and got Leopard installed on it. The previous owner said he couldn't boot off or install anything onto the internal HDDs, but I think he was having trouble with the Sonos ATA133 card. I took that out and used one of the built-in IDE ports and it went without a hitch. Note that this model isn't even supposed to be able to boot Leopard (without a hack to bypass the minimum CPU speed check), but the CPU upgrade solves that. 😉

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
220.74 KiB
Views
File license

Please press 'restart' within 29 seconds or setup will do it for you...

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
139.53 KiB
Views
File license
everyspecatonce.gif
Filename
everyspecatonce.gif
File size
562.9 KiB
Views
File license

Every spec you could want, presented in the most obnoxious way possible.

This thing is a juxtaposition of oldschool & modern PC in a lot of ways - Leopard looks and works more-or-less like current OS/X versions & a near-2GHz dual-CPU system doesn't sound very "retro", but then you've got a 128GB IDE drive size limit (it just formatted my 160 as 128), USB 1.1 (I was wondering WTF copying files was so slow until I figured that out!), PC100 SDRAM, and a 16MB Rage card that makes dragging windows around the screen sluggish. I'm DEFINITELY gonna upgrade that, and will see if I have a USB2 card that will work too.

Anyway if you have absolutely nothing better to do with your next five minutes, enjoy this video of its post-install first boot that I edited on the G4 itself. In iMovie of all things. As a stress test it did just fine, doesn't even seem to be running hot. Rendering out takes about as long as you'd expect. You could run a Youtube channel on one of these, just not in 4k.

This pointless vid.

render.png
Filename
render.png
File size
186.35 KiB
Views
File license
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
155.2 KiB
Views
File license

Obligatory inception joke.

Reply 22089 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, if I recall correctly, this thread has been running for more than ten years. More than ten years, and people still love retro computer hardware.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22090 of 52354, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a power supply for IBM netvista. Seems the fan in the original one didn't spin.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 22091 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Anyway, if I recall correctly, this thread has been running for more than ten years. More than ten years, and people still love retro computer hardware.

giphy.gif

Here's to a decade more *Raises drink*

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22092 of 52354, by LChackr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rikukos Awesome! That's a great find.

@Murugan same here. I have pictures from Christmas morning when I got my first Sound Blaster in that box. It's long gone, sadly. Finding the Pro 1.0 in the box from that era was really nice and unexpected though.

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme

Yeah. Creative Labs was really good about their box design and artwork but these in particularly make me cringe when I see them. They are just over-the-top and absurdly cheesy. That fake "Warning" sticker too ... UGH. 😒

Reply 22093 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/avVqQ7EoaTXb2/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote

giphy.gif

Here's to a decade more *Raises drink*

Cheers!

Who's the guitarist, by the way?

xjas wrote:
Quick update before bed: I chucked a spare 160GB IDE HDD into the G4 and got Leopard installed on it. The previous owner said he […]
Show full quote

Quick update before bed: I chucked a spare 160GB IDE HDD into the G4 and got Leopard installed on it. The previous owner said he couldn't boot off or install anything onto the internal HDDs, but I think he was having trouble with the Sonos ATA133 card. I took that out and used one of the built-in IDE ports and it went without a hitch. Note that this model isn't even supposed to be able to boot Leopard (without a hack to bypass the minimum CPU speed check), but the CPU upgrade solves that. 😉

1.jpg

Please press 'restart' within 29 seconds or setup will do it for you...

2.jpg
everyspecatonce.gif

Every spec you could want, presented in the most obnoxious way possible.

This thing is a juxtaposition of oldschool & modern PC in a lot of ways - Leopard looks and works more-or-less like current OS/X versions & a near-2GHz dual-CPU system doesn't sound very "retro", but then you've got a 128GB IDE drive size limit (it just formatted my 160 as 128), USB 1.1 (I was wondering WTF copying files was so slow until I figured that out!), PC100 SDRAM, and a 16MB Rage card that makes dragging windows around the screen sluggish. I'm DEFINITELY gonna upgrade that, and will see if I have a USB2 card that will work too.

Anyway if you have absolutely nothing better to do with your next five minutes, enjoy this video of its post-install first boot that I edited on the G4 itself. In iMovie of all things. As a stress test it did just fine, doesn't even seem to be running hot. Rendering out takes about as long as you'd expect. You could run a Youtube channel on one of these, just not in 4k.

This pointless vid.

render.png
5.jpg

Obligatory inception joke.

If I recall correctly, the Power Mac G4 wasn't allowed to be sold outside the United States, because it was so fast (at that time) that the U.S. government considered it a supercomputer. Am I correct?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22094 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe (correct me here) that is the guitarist/lead singer from AC/DC.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22095 of 52354, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I believe (correct me here) that is the guitarist/lead singer from AC/DC.

That is Angus Young. He is the lead guitarist of ac/dc. The lead singer is Brian Johnson. (I don't count Axl Rose).

Reply 22096 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I recall correctly, the Power Mac G4 wasn't allowed to be sold outside the United States, because it was so fast (at that time) that the U.S. government considered it a supercomputer. Am I correct?

Nope, it got sold in Europe just fine.

Reply 22097 of 52354, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Nope, it got sold in Europe just fine.

Just looked that up - there's actually a grain of truth to that, sort-of - basically it ran afoul of an incredibly poorly written regulation that was already in the process of being updated when it was released, but Apple's marketing took that and spun the hell out of it anyway. There's a good explanation of the real story here. In 1999 the law restricted (not banned) export of computers capable of over 2000 "MTOPS" (Million Theoretical Operations Per Second) which the G4 ran afoul of. By 2002 that had been raised multiple times to 195 000. It's a bullshit metric but interesting example of how unprepared everyone was for the late-'90s progress rush.

In reality it's not that fast, it was a high-end workstation but comparable to a good Pentium 3 or Xeon system from the time too.

Reply 22098 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an iMac G4 for $9.99 and a new CardBus 802.11g wireless card for $4.99 on my thrifting adventures (pics to follow). Passed on an NES, games, and accessories since they wanted over $200 for the whole lot.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22099 of 52354, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Passed on an NES, games, and accessories since they wanted over $200 for the whole lot.

That's so typical.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video