Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30760 of 52615, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
piatd wrote:

My area's major thrift chain, Goodwill, doesn't have any systems laying around any more, regardless of era. I have not seen a single desktop computer--let alone any internal parts--for the last few years at multiple Goodwill locations.

Most all the computer and worth while stuff at Goodwill is auctioned on line thru their Ebay like website, been that way for a few years now. You can check it out here: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ . I still find keyboards, led/lcd monitors and cables at my locals but no laptops or desktops. In my state Goodwill still has to accept CRT TV's and monitors as part of the "green" recycle act if they want to stay a non-profit status in this state (and not pay state income taxes)...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 30761 of 52615, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 goodwill

We have an "America's Thrift Store" here, and boy are they fantastic. They'll carry just about any computer they can get their hands on, CRTs, keyboards, accessories... Everything.

Once upon a time, I was lucky enough to have a friend behind the scenes in the store. Came in once while he was working and he flooded the shelves with old electronics... That's how I got a bunch of my *boxed* PCI and AGP video cards, and how I got several of my Pentium class machines.

Haven't seen anything older than a Pentium on their shelves, but those have IDE cables and typically Pentium, Pentium II, and Pentium III machines have a CD audio cable in them.

Funny thing, they never seem to get AMD machines in there, just Intels.

Reply 30762 of 52615, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote:

Most all the computer and worth while stuff at Goodwill is auctioned on line thru their Ebay like website, been that way for a few years now. You can check it out here: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ . I still find keyboards, led/lcd monitors and cables at my locals but no laptops or desktops. In my state Goodwill still has to accept CRT TV's and monitors as part of the "green" recycle act if they want to stay a non-profit status in this state (and not pay state income taxes)...

That might explain where most of the refurbs ultimately go. Do you know why some Goodwill affiliates still have ebay stores?

Reply 30763 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

How do you guys not have these things? Are these somehow uncommon in different parts of the world? You can find all of these things in any machine made before like 2006 at any recycling or thrift store.

Being a system builder / IT tech in a company with 200+ PCs usually causes this... Nobody needed CD Audio in office environment so these were simply not installed. Later when you replaced parts in broken PCs (optical drives for example) - again you didn't installed these cables or reused cable which was already in the computer...

I have lots of ribbon cables, CD-ROM audio cables, s-video cables, case brackets and so on... more than I will never need in fact... and it's only like 10% of stuff I decided to safe - rest (especially CD Audio cables) we just throwed into garbage.

Attachments

• IMG_20191015_115212.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191015_115212.jpg
    File size
    524.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30764 of 52615, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD audio cables I have used in DIY audio, wonderful nice shielded cables to use and splice up in various ways. I would have loved to have the ones you tossed out 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30765 of 52615, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ooooh yeah 😎

hardware32_03.jpg
Filename
hardware32_03.jpg
File size
69.84 KiB
Views
File license

GDM F520, it's no FW900, but eh 4:3 is awesome too 😁

this time it's not even from an office, so hopefully not been used to death.

Reply 30766 of 52615, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've recently built a small collection of Adaptec controllers for my SCSI experiments out of eBay. Different models, generations and buses. Cheap (mostly). All working.

DSC_4240.jpeg
Filename
DSC_4240.jpeg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30767 of 52615, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:
ooooh yeah :cool: […]
Show full quote

ooooh yeah 😎

hardware32_03.jpg

GDM F520, it's no FW900, but eh 4:3 is awesome too 😁

this time it's not even from an office, so hopefully not been used to death.

Nice! I have one as well. Let us know your impressions once you start using it!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 30768 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 12" mono monitor arrived... It works!!! Plastic parts need some solid cleaning and retrobright (maybe), but other than that it's perfect.

Also this particular CRT model (Philips M31-340 GR/PD) has delicious, slow response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlscV0r7zE

Attachments

Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-10-15, 22:49. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30769 of 52615, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

Nice! I have one as well. Let us know your impressions once you start using it!

I only quickly tested it with my laptop, but I need to test it with a proper machine that can output more than 60Hz ^^
I noticed a slight convergence issue in the bottom right corner which apparently can't be fixed through the menu unfortunately as for some reason that only allows for horizontal adjustment across the whole screen so the top corner is off instead if I try to correct it, vertical has more detailed adjustments.
I already got the service manual, but that's going to be a project for a later date... it probably won't be an issue in games but I did notice it on the desktop.

HanJammer wrote:

My 12" mono monitor arrived... It works!!! Plastic parts need some solid cleaning and retrobright (maybe), but other than that it's perfect.

that first picture is giving me serious ALIEN vibes

Reply 30770 of 52615, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice monochrome monitor!

I've got a 12 inch Samsung monitor just like it, it is also very slow response... The screen takes several seconds to fade, even at the lowest brightness I can still read!

P31 phosphor is something else, isn't it?

Reply 30771 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That monochrome monitor is incredible. Speaking of hardware, I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT, external floppy drive for it, and a new display for my ASUS Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet. Modern-wise, I bought a Syba Dual CF to IDE 44-pin adapter for the Toshiba laptop in case the old 810MB (770MB actual size0) is broken and received it today from eBay (the package was from Amazon and the company has it where the item can be bought from either Amazon or eBay).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30772 of 52615, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Oo, nice Compaq Portable. The Q8200 sounds decent too.

What's the Matrox like? Had a chance to do anything with that yet?

I tested it to see if it at least POSTS, and it does. I haven't tried it in Windows yet. I noticed it has a slot for a SODIMM, and I happen to have a 256 meg SDR PC100 that would fit - would that even work?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 30773 of 52615, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it's probably a special kind. I have some cards with a similar slot - A regular SODIMM won't even fit. You need the special video memory modules. Many video cards, some onboard solutions, and the iMac G3s came with this.

Look for "iMac G3 4MB video RAM" and you'll see what they look like.

Reply 30776 of 52615, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

Sound Blaster CT1920 AWE32 Upgrade Card (Goldfinch)

With a factory output jack, noice. I had to add one to mine. Handy little cards those, particularly the ability to load sound fonts (Win9X) and emulate an MPU 401 alongside any other sound card you fancy (i.e. doesn't need to be a Creative card).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 30777 of 52615, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:

I've recently built a small collection of Adaptec controllers for my SCSI experiments out of eBay. Different models, generations and buses. Cheap (mostly). All working.

Then get some PCI-X card as well - Ultra160 or Ultra320.
They can be found very cheap.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...