VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21180 of 52343, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won't really recommend ever fiddling around with those M537 boards. They're very unstable, are fully jumpered, feel sluggish and don't really support any drives above 8.1gb natively. The only real' good is the M572, which has the 430TX, can overclock up to 83fsb/adjust vcore from 2.2 to 3.5, and is fully jumperless.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 21181 of 52343, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

I won't really recommend ever fiddling around with those M537 boards. They're very unstable, are fully jumpered, feel sluggish and don't really support any drives above 8.1gb natively. The only real' good is the M572, which has the 430TX, can overclock up to 83fsb/adjust vcore from 2.2 to 3.5, and is fully jumperless.

I will have to do an in depth test of the VX Pro board I got in a board lot last year. My board is the M537-DMA33 version if I remember right but the VIA VP1 and VPX chipset are pretty much the same and the board versions otherwise identical.

I used the board as a system builder back then with good results (for the money it cost). In my expereince the stability was decent but the performance a bit lacklustre compared to an Intel chipset board. I never really understood what all the fuss over the VX Pro is all about. Sometimes I get the feeling people read the Red Hill guide like the Bible when it in fact is just the experience and point of view of a single small computer shop from back then.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 21182 of 52343, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eleanor1967 wrote:

The first retro package of the year just arrived 😀

Having no luck removing the heatsink though, its stuck on there good and I'm curious what chip I got there exactly.

Do you have a pic of the other side?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21183 of 52343, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Do you have a pic of the other side?

Sure. I could do better pictures tomorrow if needed. With the help of a hairdryer and a bit of patience I got the cooler of. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to work. Dropped it in my 486 which has another 5x86 in it and nothing. There was one pin on the package bent against the pin next to it, I separated them and the pin still seems connected. Oh well.

Btw, someone please tell me that pin 1 is where I'm assuming pin 1 one is (picture).

Attachments

• 20180104_225048.jpg
    Filename
    20180104_225048.jpg
    File size
    3.25 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20180104_225004.jpg
    Filename
    20180104_225004.jpg
    File size
    3.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180104_224912.jpg
    Filename
    20180104_224912.jpg
    File size
    3.32 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 21184 of 52343, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's going on with these Cyrix chips lately?! Sigh... Yeah, that one top-side little corner pin looks a little bent but at least the bottom pins look a lot better (than my chip). The white triangle seems like the obvious spot but there are two white triangles on this one - one on the outer PCB of the QFP and one on the inside closer to the processor.. 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21185 of 52343, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

What's going on with these Cyrix chips lately?! Sigh... Yeah, that one top-side little corner pin looks a little bent but at least the bottom pins look a lot better (than my chip). The white triangle seems like the obvious spot but there are two white triangles on this one - one on the outer PCB of the QFP and one on the inside closer to the processor.. 😀

Yeah the bottom side is pretty good, fixed one pin and it goes into the socket like a charm. The second triangle is what makes me confused, especially when it goes into the opposite direction 😀 When assuming the outer marking to be pin 1 the Cyrix marking on the chip is turned 180 degree from where it is usually is.. I figured out where outer pin goes to, now I just need somebody who knows the pin out of this CPU package 😁 (I know, not gonna happen).
Did you had any luck getting money back from that lot?

Attachments

• 20180104_225048be2.jpg
    Filename
    20180104_225048be2.jpg
    File size
    3.26 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 21186 of 52343, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to follow the orientation of the outer triangle - that's pin1 for the mobo cpu socket.
The inner triangle is the orientation in which the cpu must be soldered on this pcb adapter, nothing to do with how you install the whole deal on your mobo.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21187 of 52343, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a AMD 80386-40 with an Intel 80387-33 SBC..... made a somewhat low offer to the seller since it had been on eBay for a long time and they accepted. Guessing the 80387-33 runs just fine at 40Mhz.

Not sure if I will get a backplane to use it or just use the chips in my 386 board.. provided my board works. Maybe I will try out both ways and see which I like better.

Seller's pic:

386-sbc.jpg
Filename
386-sbc.jpg
File size
147.04 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21188 of 52343, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Hackery sold me a quad speed CD caddy drive with a manual eject mechanism.

CGS_7785.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7785.jpg

If it was not for the flap door it would fit in almost perfectly with my Epson combo 3.5"/5.25" drive.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 21189 of 52343, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Just need to figure out how to add sound to it. Maybe something like this?

http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/industrial … I_03_6433.2.htm

Yep. Or you could use the PC/104 header with a PC/104 sound board (there's at least one out there that's sb compatible).

Reply 21190 of 52343, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:
After looking for days, I finally found a seller that had the TechMedia speakers case. This was really lucky - I found a seller […]
Show full quote

After looking for days, I finally found a seller that had the TechMedia speakers case. This was really lucky - I found a seller selling AT cases on ebay, and asked if they had it. They did, and they listed it! It's now on its way to me.
PlkcXpw.png

I dunno what it is, but lately I have found desktop computer cases with speakers strangely appealing. Saw a Compaq one a few months ago that was similar (but shorter). Maybe my subconscious mind is telling me I am running out of desk space...

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21191 of 52343, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

The Hackery sold me a quad speed CD caddy drive with a manual eject mechanism.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7785.jpg

If it was not for the flap door it would fit in almost perfectly with my Epson combo 3.5"/5.25" drive.

As much as I hate to say this, you might want to host that image on a site other than Photobucket, simply because they're now charging for hot-linking pictures on other sites (including this one).

CkRtech wrote:

I dunno what it is, but lately I have found desktop computer cases with speakers strangely appealing. Saw a Compaq one a few months ago that was similar (but shorter). Maybe my subconscious mind is telling me I am running out of desk space...

Sounds like you've found a Compaq Presario 2xx0 of some sort. Those were black (some newer models were beige) desktops with built-in stereo speakers.

Reply 21192 of 52343, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Sounds like you've found a Compaq Presario 2xx0 of some sort. Those were black (some newer models were beige) desktops with built-in stereo speakers.

I can't quite remember - It was a vogons user from months and months ago. Also a Seattle guy. Man. There are a lot of us. 😁

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21196 of 52343, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was already one bidder. I was afraid somebody else spotted it and offered him 60€ if he ships also the slot brackets. He didnt have them so I offered 50€ without the brackets and he accepted.
I asked several times, dont know what he did with these brackets 🙁

Conditions of the card is not obvious on the photo. Will see. Can you identify the other soundcards? Doesnt seem to be SBs?

Reply 21197 of 52343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly the only thing in that box worth the risk is the gravis card. I would have picked it up for $60. I'm a betting man. If its not too late get him to cover that card in aluminum foil. It will increase odds of survival.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21199 of 52343, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

Anybody sees why I bought this one? 😉 Was the only photo.

There are three other nifty ISA sound cards in that lot that I can see, one appears to be a Vibra 16, the other is a rather large Crystal chipset card that I THINK may actually have an onboard wavetable. The third is pretty much unidentifiable from the back but gold plated connectors lead me to think it could be a pretty good card as well. Neither of them have a bracket, but that's kind of OK. I also see one SB Live and one Audio PCI in that lot, along with two PCI S3 cards. Pretty good lot.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.