VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23540 of 52353, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Here is the 1985 Jingle Disk CGA demo running with two dip switch variations. You see on the second screen you lose parts of the image so that would not be ideal. I just found it interesting NEC included these dip switch settings in the first place. The LCD screen is old so it's not super bright and suffers from ghosting effects when the motion is too fast. The best games I have found for this screen are graphic text adventures and point and click style games. Anything with fast motion appears blurry. Luckily NEC knew this and the system supports both a CGA or EGA external monitor which you select with a switch on the side.

Thanks! I find it fascinating, not all manufacturers were so thoughtful. Some older games even had special CGA mode with inverted colours, so that the games would look well on early LCD screens that had colours inverted (like SONY SMC-210DL6 or Zenith Data System SupersPort 286) - for example Total Eclipse had a setting that authors called "LCD CGA".

Reply 23542 of 52353, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldCat wrote:
Artex wrote:

Picked up a set of black Roland MA-8 monitors for my newly remodeled office!

I assume you meant speakers? 🤣

Studio Monitors 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23543 of 52353, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:

Ad Lib (1990) Replica Card

At first glance I thought "Replica, what the f..." until I remembered all the good stuff guys like keropi and dreamblaster have developed 🤣

Artex wrote:

Rendition Vérité V2100 - Diamond Stealth II S220 PCI 4MB (Sealed) (1997)

Nice Sir!!

Reply 23544 of 52353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just received confirmation I can go pick up two totally unknown old boxes for free. The seller posted a stock pic of an Amiga 1000 and stated "similar, but not the same, photo from internet" but added "extremely heavy", which is hardly how I'd describe an Amiga pizza box and 12" monitor. The mind boggles at what I'm exactly going to find there. Loot box ahoy 😉

Reply 23545 of 52353, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vintage Computer Festival East was fun. 🤣

1949 Admiral floor standing TV
Molar Mac, Mac Plus 1mb (with unofficial 9-pin video mod), Mac SE and SE/30 case, Performa 475, Bondi iMac G3 complete with keyboard and mouse, three IBM PS2s, and two generic systems with a 486 and Celeron slot 1. 😊

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 23546 of 52353, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gbeirn wrote:
A57E96A0-EBC6-45BD-8B4C-6FC8CED36D93.jpeg

Hit the jackpot (hopefully)!
30 new old stock socket 3 UMC motherboards.

I saw these on eBay. If I didn't have 50+ motherboards laying around here waiting to find homes, I totally would have bought those.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23547 of 52353, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i bought all this for 20 dollars
I normally dont pay that much for some cards that i dont even know if they work, but when i saw a photo of the soundblaster pro 2 card CT1690 i gave it a shot because those are good and difficult to find.

when i tried it, it gave lots of noises even booting, then checked it and it had a hole in one of the capacitors, changed it and works like a charm. No drivers needed at all, just boot the machine and game detects the card automatically.

the cirrus logic vga card i dont know what the hell is wrong with it, in DOS for example, the letters are supposed to be white, but looks like light blue, don´t know if its fixable and how.

222.jpg
image.jpg

Sound Blaster PRO SONY CT1690
Sound Blaster PRO LMSI CT1620
Sound Blaster PRO scsi CT1610
Sound Blaster PRO 2 CT1600

Reply 23548 of 52353, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Molar Mac, Mac Plus 1mb (with unofficial 9-pin video mod), Mac SE and SE/30 case, Performa 475, Bondi iMac G3 complete with keyboard and mouse, three IBM PS2s, and two generic systems with a 486 and Celeron slot 1. 😊

Does the TV work? If not do you intend to restore it?

I've always thought about getting a TV from that era but even one stored under the best possible conditions will need extensive internal work to be ready to be powered on. More realistic would be a 1960s set. Mostly I would want to watch stuff like The Twilight Zone.

Getting content onto the TV is a whole different ballgame. If it doesn't have those little things you can screw wires onto you would need your own low power transmitter, which start at about 1,200 USD. So unless your Artex that probably isn't feasible.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23549 of 52353, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Bought a NOS K7S5A still sealed and a used Duron 1200 CPU for 30 AUD, hopefully the board isn't full of bad caps! These I'm going to use to rebuild my first gaming PC from 2001-2002 along with parts I already have from my current 98 machine. All I need now is to find a socket 462 cooler that doesn't break the hooks off at the bottom.

Reply 23550 of 52353, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Does the TV work? If not do you intend to restore it? […]
Show full quote
cj_reha wrote:

Does the TV work? If not do you intend to restore it?

I've always thought about getting a TV from that era but even one stored under the best possible conditions will need extensive internal work to be ready to be powered on. More realistic would be a 1960s set. Mostly I would want to watch stuff like The Twilight Zone.

Getting content onto the TV is a whole different ballgame. If it doesn't have those little things you can screw wires onto you would need your own low power transmitter, which start at about 1,200 USD. So unless your Artex that probably isn't feasible.

It needs a lot of work. Gonna fully recap it before I even attempt to turn it on since I know all those wax caps are long gone. The back cover is covered in surface rust too so that gets the vinegar bath.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 23551 of 52353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:
i bought all this for 20 dollars I normally dont pay that much for some cards that i dont even know if they work, but when i saw […]
Show full quote

i bought all this for 20 dollars
I normally dont pay that much for some cards that i dont even know if they work, but when i saw a photo of the soundblaster pro 2 card CT1690 i gave it a shot because those are good and difficult to find.

when i tried it, it gave lots of noises even booting, then checked it and it had a hole in one of the capacitors, changed it and works like a charm. No drivers needed at all, just boot the machine and game detects the card automatically.

the cirrus logic vga card i dont know what the hell is wrong with it, in DOS for example, the letters are supposed to be white, but looks like light blue, don´t know if its fixable and how.

222.jpg
image.jpg

Sound Blaster PRO SONY CT1690
Sound Blaster PRO LMSI CT1620
Sound Blaster PRO scsi CT1610
Sound Blaster PRO 2 CT1600

I want to try a CMI8330 card (or a SoundPro rebadge) but they're sometimes hard to find.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23554 of 52353, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

It needs a lot of work. Gonna fully recap it before I even attempt to turn it on since I know all those wax caps are long gone. The back cover is covered in surface rust too so that gets the vinegar bath.

Interesting, I have idea for what you can do once you get that TV to work: Maybe you can watch some B&W movies/TV shows on it just for the heck of it. That's what I'd use a vintage/B&W TV for. 😉

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Maybe some B&W portable TV could be an easier option? I have a generic purple 5" B&W portable TV that I use once in a while to play with random Composite video devices (such as cameras, DVD players, and VCRs). B&W portables are usually easier to find than straight-up vintage TVs from the era.

Reply 23555 of 52353, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now remove all that barrel batteries hehe.

Those batteries will be absolutely fine without any removal since they're not charged and won't be used anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23556 of 52353, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Now remove all that barrel batteries hehe.

Those batteries will be absolutely fine without any removal since they're not charged and won't be used anyway.

Famous last words.

remove them. It is NOT worth the risk.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23558 of 52353, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought an AT 104-key Keyboard with the AT-PS/2 adapter for my retro machines (Socket 7 (AT) and 486 Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus (PS/2), so I'll be installing the adapter to hook up to the KVM switch box)

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23559 of 52353, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.

s-2000.jpg
Filename
s-2000.jpg
File size
265.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks like Gateway had these as an option.

s-2000-back.jpg
Filename
s-2000-back.jpg
File size
400.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK