VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20760 of 52675, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased an IBM Model M keyboard from 1987 that's going to be used on my K6-2/300 machine for $2.99 without the SDL cable (got a new 6' one on eBay) at a thrift store. 2 keys were acting weird, but, a little bit of contact cleaner got the keys to work. The arrow keys weren't right, and I didn't realize that the keycaps can get switched around without taking the whole key out.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20761 of 52675, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I got my lot of old parts today. This lot cost me around $50 shipped, which I thought was okay.

Can anyone help me identify the CPU with the Socket 3 board? Whoever messed with the thing last inserted the CPU in the wrong orientation and, being the first Socket 3 board I've ever seen, I didn't realize it. I powered it on and it didn't work but the little chip with the heatsink next to the socket gave off a "really really hot but not quite smoking" smell. Briefly before I turned it off. I looked online I noticed that the only way to tell which way the CPU goes in is by the notched corner... unlike newer boards where they physically don't fit. Oy...

Anyway, I get nothing when I try to turn it on... no beeps, no display. The battery is certainly dead, but I think it should at least power on, or beep when the memory is removed... something. So it doesn't look good. I got these to tinker with anyway, so I'm not totally heart broken, but I was happy to see a Socket 3 board. The other two boards need to have the batteries removed and some corrosion cleaned up but they don't look too bad... probably salvageable. The VLB board that I thought had a burn mark from the AT power being plugged in wrong actually just has a burn mark from a blown tantalum... which is less likely to be fatal. It has lots of tantalums, so I need to replace these before I can test this board.

The MediaVision Thunderboard is immaculate... the back plate has a pristine mirror finish! Amazing condition. I really don't trust the tantalums though... I wish I could tell if they were going to pop when powered. The card is from 1991 and looks lightly used, so I'd expect the worst.

Also, look at that crazy CD drive! Its a TEAC CD-55A. Really strange design with a slim tray.

Attachments

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20762 of 52675, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Also, look at that crazy CD drive! Its a TEAC CD-55A. Really strange design with a slim tray.

I have similar but older drives from TEAC with the same design. The upper part can be detached, fitting in smaller cases. Such a slim drive was used for example in the Sun SPARCstation 5.

Reply 20763 of 52675, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
My brother gave me this, with an unknown CPU. A bit too new for my taste, not sure what I'm going to do with it. […]
Show full quote

My brother gave me this, with an unknown CPU. A bit too new for my taste, not sure what I'm going to do with it.

ahcxzNql.jpg

I know a YouTuber that has that board as well that a hospital used (weird, yet exciting). That board supports the Athlon 64 X2 (dual-code), Athlon 64 FX, or Athlon 64 (single-core) Socket 939 processors and DDR-400 memory. Plus, SLI support (2 of the same GPUs for gaming, even a GTX 1080 or two will be amazing for that system).

It doesn't work with modern GPU's from ATI 48xx and up - black screen / GPU error.
The RDX version has an AMD chipset and supports Crossfire, not SLI. The SLI version is the NF4 SLI DR-Expert.

Reply 20764 of 52675, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was looking at the Switch to get for my sisters kids but it looks fragile and the # of games is pitiful so backup plan:

I bought the SD2SNES and Everdrive N8 carts for my SNES (1991) and NES (1985) purchased by my grandpa.

They've been collecting dust in my closet for the past decade or so. I've tested both carts this week and they work great and also bought 2x 8bitdo SN30 controllers.

Consoles will be hooked up to an HDTV but it's not that bad. When the consoles finally die (SNES missing the plastic piece in the back for the power but still works) then pi it is.

Time to show these kids what a real console is because they don't exist any more.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 20765 of 52675, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:
Was looking at the Switch to get for my sisters kids but it looks fragile and the # of games is pitiful so backup plan: […]
Show full quote

Was looking at the Switch to get for my sisters kids but it looks fragile and the # of games is pitiful so backup plan:

I bought the SD2SNES and Everdrive N8 carts for my SNES (1991) and NES (1985) purchased by my grandpa.

They've been collecting dust in my closet for the past decade or so. I've tested both carts this week and they work great and also bought 2x 8bitdo SN30 controllers.

Consoles will be hooked up to an HDTV but it's not that bad. When the consoles finally die (SNES missing the plastic piece in the back for the power but still works) then pi it is.

Time to show these kids what a real console is because they don't exist any more.

I have a Nintendo 64 that my parents got for us on Valentine's Day (2-14-2000), it's missing pieces, but it still works.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20766 of 52675, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladstamate wrote:

Ohh!! Give us the inventory! There must be some gems in there.

Sorted out the sound cards today. The lot included:

Creative CT5803, ES1373, PCI
OPTi 82C924 / AD1845JP with OPL3 (no-name), ISA
OAK Mozart OPL3, ISA
Creative SB Live! CT4830, PCI
CMI8738 (no-name), PCI
Advanced Logic ALS4000, PCI
Creative AudioPCI 3000, ES1370, PCI
Terratec Aureon 5.1, CMI8738, PCI
Ultron, CMI8768, PCI
Creative Audigy2 ZS SB0350, PCI

Reply 20772 of 52675, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Formulator wrote:
Saved these AT's from the scrapper. I find the tower enclosure rather unique. […]
Show full quote

Saved these AT's from the scrapper. I find the tower enclosure rather unique.

Or14YR6.jpg

Holy crap... 😳 😳 Major score there. 😜 Congrats.
Never seen that many, since my days as a student at the technical college in spring of 1993.
We used them to learn Lotus-123 and Wordperfect-5.x in MS-Dos 5.0.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 20774 of 52675, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
Managed to find :exclamation: […]
Show full quote

Managed to find 😲

IIHEb79l.jpg

Hope it works as it was sold as untested.

Where the hell did you find that?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 20775 of 52675, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Formulator wrote:
Saved these AT's from the scrapper. I find the tower enclosure rather unique. […]
Show full quote

Saved these AT's from the scrapper. I find the tower enclosure rather unique.

Or14YR6.jpg

Nice tower. Always wanted that, but it's pretty big and heavy.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 20776 of 52675, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
@formulator […]
Show full quote

@formulator

5YYWn0m.jpg

Don't quote me, but I believe those stands are rather uncommon. Don't let it go!

You owe me a rusty spoon to gouge my eyes out with.... and my brain as well. Thanks a lot. 😵

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20777 of 52675, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Nice tower. Always wanted that, but it's pretty big and heavy

It is extremely heavy indeed, perhaps one of the heaviest systems I have ever lifted.

I have not yet cracked it open, but upon exterior inspection I would believe it has been upgraded beyond the original AT board, due to the presence of a CD-ROM drive and the back panel looks like what a 486 or 586 system might have inside.

Reply 20778 of 52675, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:
kixs wrote:
Show full quote

Managed to find 😲

IIHEb79l.jpg

Where the hell did you find that?

I guess I just got lucky on eBay 😀 In any case I really hope it works...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 20779 of 52675, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
Show full quote

Managed to find 😲

IIHEb79l.jpg

Ooh an SLC2. Nice find!
I really like these for some reason, I love the idea of pushing a "16 bit" PC as far as it can go. They (TI/Cyrix) also made an 80MHz version, right?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!