Topic actions

Reply 4221 of 52873, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Was IMFC manufactured by Yamaha?

Yes, it's a Yamaha product. (Hence my use of Yamaha's logo for the photo in my QuestStudios thread.)

Similarly, you'll notice that the NEC XR385 that everyone mistakenly refers to as a "clone," is also an OEM Yamaha product.

Reply 4222 of 52873, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Was IMFC manufactured by Yamaha?

Yes, it's a Yamaha product. (Hence my use of Yamaha's logo for the photo in my QuestStudios thread.)

Similarly, you'll notice that the NEC XR385 that everyone mistakenly refers to as a "clone," is also an OEM Yamaha product.

Figured as much... The Yamaha PCB number (XB773) gave it away 😀

Reply 4224 of 52873, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slaventus86 wrote:
Matrox Ultima for VL bus […]
Show full quote

Matrox Ultima for VL bus

IMG_20140618_172543-300x169.jpg

MGA-VLB/4/200 on the sticker

I have one of those, can you tell me what the jumper settings on your card are set to? My card has sockets for the second bank of RAM and I need to know how to enable it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4225 of 52873, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

I have one of those, can you tell me what the jumper settings on your card are set to? My card has sockets for the second bank of RAM and I need to know how to enable it.

Every video card i've ever worked with has ALWAYS auto-detected memory. You should be able to just add the chips and go. Jumper settings were usually only for IRQ settings or weird compatibility issues.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4226 of 52873, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

I am glad I do not have the CIB stuff obsession. Collecting loose hardware is hard and costly enough.

I only buy boxed when the price difference between loose and boxed is minimal. I don't have a whole lot of boxed hardware, but most of what I do have isn't especially rare and was extremely cheap at the time. Even if I was to open it all,I wouldn't lose anything.

Reply 4227 of 52873, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ARK LOGIC 1000VL, got this for $20 posted doesn't seem to much interest in VLB cards on Australian Ebay considering I also got a boxed ET4000W32P not that long ago for around $25 posted.

arklogic_zps74abacb6.jpg

Starting to get a collection of higher end VLB video cards, will test to see what gives the best performance/compatibility.

ET4000W32P X 2
S3 868
ARK LOGIC 1000PV

If I can grab a Cirrus Logic 5434 & an ATI mach 32/64 that would be sweet, the idea is to run a maxed out AM5X86 @ 150 or 160MHZ, would assume If I can get a stable system at 150MHZ it would give better results for gaming.

Reply 4228 of 52873, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:
Starting to get a collection of higher end VLB video cards, will test to see what gives the best performance/compatibility. […]
Show full quote

Starting to get a collection of higher end VLB video cards, will test to see what gives the best performance/compatibility.

ET4000W32P X 2
S3 868
ARK LOGIC 1000PV

If I can grab a Cirrus Logic 5434 & an ATI mach 32/64 that would be sweet, the idea is to run a maxed out AM5X86 @ 150 or 160MHZ, would assume If I can get a stable system at 150MHZ it would give better results for gaming.

Yes please 😀

You can post in Artex's thread if you'd like 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4229 of 52873, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

Every video card i've ever worked with has ALWAYS auto-detected memory. You should be able to just add the chips and go. Jumper settings were usually only for IRQ settings or weird compatibility issues.

There is a large switch box by the video port, must be used for something. The PCI version of the card had a separate switch for memory I believe.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4230 of 52873, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an PCI version that came with my Vectra computer.
It has two switches, one switch to either enable 2MB or 4MB, and the other switch for BIOS flashing i think.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4232 of 52873, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Slaventus86 wrote:

Here is photo of switch positions:

Th99 has one vlb matrox video card. jumper settings - http://www.ccs-a.com/th99/v/txt/50045.txt

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 4233 of 52873, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know where to put this video than here.
I made a small video for the DB51XG i recently bought from eBay.
I was a bit nervous doing this video and i still am showing it to you.
If you have suggestions feel free to comment here or on the video.
Let's see how it goes perhaps i'll do some more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejnrIDPrDU

My YouTube Channel

Reply 4234 of 52873, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to be nervous! Pretty decent video there. I really dig the external daughterboard host devices - never knew those existed. Quality of both the MIDI and XG stuff sounds good. Have you done any comparisons between the DB50XG and this one? I would assume they sound the same, but just curious. How about gaming - any tests done using midi-supported games?

PS - I like the way you pronounced "Yamaha" in your German accent!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4235 of 52873, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't compared them yet, with rendering and uploading this already took 6 hours. 😮
I now can understand why some youtubers can live from what they're doing.
Today is a Holliday in germany and that's why i was even able to do it.
Perhaps i can compare them on the weekend and film my results. 😀
I tried so hard not to sound german^^

My YouTube Channel

Reply 4237 of 52873, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just picked up two IBM ThinkPad T42 laptops for parts - one actually works, the other one has a dying backlight and probably a defective motherboard.

Got a GeForce 6800GT AGP and another Voodoo 3 2000 AGP (says STB as well as 3dfx on it).

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 4238 of 52873, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Solarstorm wrote:

If you have suggestions feel free to comment here or on the video.

I do not want to criticize, but the first 5 minutes of video about nothing. Show docbox and phase x64 can be take 20 seconds. Need to better plan what you want to show.
The second 5 minutes if only for sound. It could be better if you shown midi score on the monitor.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600