VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23020 of 52354, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Teac PA-10 PC amplifier. Fits in a drive bay, provides good sound. Mixes multiple inputs. Replacing the amp in my TechMedia 'built in speakers' case, for my ultimate 486 build. It was either this or a BenQ Gold. Via Yahoo Japan.

l90ZktJ.png
v06S24L.png
Kga5rtP.png

Last edited by furan on 2018-04-18, 05:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23021 of 52354, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Burrito78 wrote:

Sound Blaster 16 PnP (CT2940) "real OPL3 edition".

That is a really nice score - especially with the OPL3 chip! I am using an AWE32 CT2760 in a new build but may go back to this board if I hear clicks (didn't know about these).

Reply 23023 of 52354, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this stuff over the past week, just getting to sharing.

A Celeron 1.2 Ghz system. It's missing memory and I think the GPU. There's a VGA port on the back of the board, but I'm not seeing a graphics chip on the board. Not sure if these Celerons had integrated GPUs?

Power Mac 7600 Parts:
Two 601 100Mhz cards
A 256k level 2 cache

Two 72-pin EDO memory chips I think and probably from the same 7600. I'm not sure of the size, but I'm going to try them in my Pentium 60 to see if they'll work. I'm hoping this doesn't break anything.

Four 256k 30-pin sim chips I think. I can't recall, but are these for 286 and 386 systems? Probably also my 486, but I'm too lazy to open its case to compare.

A Key Touch keyboard with a calculator screen and I think spring-buckling switches. They have a nice feel, not as nice as Cherry MX IMO, but nicer than the membrane keyboards I have a ton of. Just wish it had multi colored( beige ) key caps.

And not a PC, but a Magnavox Odyssey 2 with voice synth attachment, in box ( just really beat up ), and 23 games. I'm hoping to trade this for a Sega Master System... 😀

Attachments

• key_touch.jpg
    Filename
    key_touch.jpg
    File size
    186.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • memory.jpg
    Filename
    memory.jpg
    File size
    278.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ppc_601_100.jpg
    Filename
    ppc_601_100.jpg
    File size
    215.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • celeron_mobo.jpg
    Filename
    celeron_mobo.jpg
    File size
    254.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • celeron_case.jpg
    Filename
    celeron_case.jpg
    File size
    104.78 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 23024 of 52354, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote:

Teac PA-10 PC amplifier. Fits in a drive bay, provides good sound. Mixes multiple inputs. Replacing the amp in my TechMedia 'built in speakers' case, for my ultimate 486 build. It was either this or a BenQ Gold. Via Yahoo Japan.

great find!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23025 of 52354, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some more srams(UM61M256K-15/9534) from a batch I already have 10 of. The reason why I bought more is that these are pretty meaty in the speed department. They can be run at 50mhz and fastest cache timings in a single bank configuration - albeit they're only rated at 15ns. For comparison I have 15ns Alliance srams which are only capable of 33mhz. Most 15ns srams make it usually up to 40mhz until "corruption" occurs... one excellent test being Doom - most of the time instead of a simple crash you get a "plane switch" crash which is a surefire indicator that the timings are too tight for your chips. Unfortunately I have no photo on disk of said occurance.

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1554.jpg
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 23026 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
Teac PA-10 PC amplifier. Fits in a drive bay, provides good sound. Mixes multiple inputs. Replacing the amp in my TechMedia 'bui […]
Show full quote

l90ZktJ.png

Just curious. Does that put out a lot of heat after extended use?

Reply 23027 of 52354, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dear diary, today was a lovely day.

386 STUFF.jpg
Filename
386 STUFF.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23029 of 52354, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Dear diary, today was a lovely day.

nice! 2x FX-3000 mobos , I have one too that is setup for a 486 cpu.
Maybe on your 386 boards the MR-BIOS bios will work , worth a shot since it's better than the amibios the boards come with: Re: FX-3000 motherboard thread

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23030 of 52354, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCCHIPS board will require some tricky fixing though. One PCB lane was severed, so it's impossible to use external cache in that bank.

PCCHIPS board 1.jpg
Filename
PCCHIPS board 1.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license

And looks like TAG ram will require desoldering as well (8kb 20ns). Don't know where to find small TAG cache for another dip.

PCCHIPS board 2.jpg
Filename
PCCHIPS board 2.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 23031 of 52354, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

fixing that severed trace is easy, just solder a jump wire to these points:

v2ElfNel.png

personally I wouldn't bother with desoldering the tag ram and add more cache *unless* the mobo is really good and stable

Reply 23032 of 52354, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one too that is setup for a 486 cpu

For a 486 setup I've acquired this bad girl (boy?) - Aopen VI15G

AOpen VI15G.jpg
Filename
AOpen VI15G.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license

I think LGR did a semi-review of this board.

fixing that severed trace is easy, just solder a jump wire to these points

I see now, thank you.

personally I wouldn't bother with desoldering the tag ram and add more cache *unless* the mobo is really good and stable

PCCHIPS... kinda doubtful it's that good or any. Oh well, I've bought it just for included 386DXL and Cyrix Fastmath anyway.

Reply 23033 of 52354, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:

A Celeron 1.2 Ghz system. It's missing memory and I think the GPU. There's a VGA port on the back of the board, but I'm not seeing a graphics chip on the board. Not sure if these Celerons had integrated GPUs?

I guess you are somewhat new to older machines... the graphics are built into the northbridge chip (VIA VT8601), as with most IGP motherboards (regardless of chipset brand) until ~2010 or so.

That said, looks like your board is a Biostar M6VLQ with the VT8601T chip, supporting tualatins. Unfortunately some of those capacitors next to the CPU HSF appear to be bulging...

Reply 23034 of 52354, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

I guess you are somewhat new to older machines... the graphics are built into the northbridge chip (VIA VT8601), as with most IGP motherboards (regardless of chipset brand) until ~2010 or so.

That said, looks like your board is a Biostar M6VLQ with the VT8601T chip, supporting tualatins. Unfortunately some of those capacitors next to the CPU HSF appear to be bulging...

Oh cool. Very helpful, thanks! 😀

I'll need to invest in a soldering pump thingy when I get time, and practice on doing replacements. I have 7 old systems now that will need some care. So I'm grateful for sites like this and YouTube when it comes to help and how-toos.

Anyways, I grew up with computers, first PC was an XT( not my first computer ), but by the mid nineties I moved to Macs -- for the art thing. So I stepped out of PCs as a hobby and skipped every Intel from the Pentium II to the P4.

Reply 23035 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally have a Pentium Pro (2 actually) on the way. Bunch of useful ones in there besides the PPros I am guessing. I see some S370 Tualatins in there. Can't really read the speed of anything.

CPU-LOT.jpg
Filename
CPU-LOT.jpg
File size
526.91 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23036 of 52354, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Finally have a Pentium Pro (2 actually) on the way. Bunch of useful ones in there besides the PPros I am guessing. I see some S370 Tualatins in there. Can't really read the speed of anything.

CPU-LOT.jpg

Also a high end Willamette next to the PPros, if you're into that 😁

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 23037 of 52354, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought one of the HardMPU's that ab0tj periodically sells through eBay and it arrived today. It is most excellent. A great addition to the SB Pro 2 and GUS in my 486,

9znBGIem.jpg?1

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 23038 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, all of you probably have your unobtainium piece of hardware that you either seek or have found. I finally found mine and unbelievably NIB. You bet I'll be archiving all of the floppies and docs. Cross your fingers all the floppies work as the DOS/Windows 3.1 drivers and software for this card are basically non-existent. This card was $1300 back in 1992 when it was released.

NIB.jpg
Filename
NIB.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-04-19, 01:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23039 of 52354, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Just curious. Does that put out a lot of heat after extended use?

Not sure yet, but it does have a fan, so I imagine it gets "amplifier hot" - in my system it will only be near a cdrom (on top of, not underneath) so I think it'll be ok.