VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17180 of 52744, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one, and it's a 'proper' 486 too! (VLB). Strange that it has an ISA IO card; it'd be worth tracking down a VLB one I think. And of course that battery is a worry.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17181 of 52744, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Strange that it has an ISA IO card

Did most people get a VLB IO card to go with their 486 when they built them? I can't remember the cost difference at the time. I just pulled all the cards from my 386 and put them in my 486 when I upgraded. I later (funds allowing) jumped the VGA card to VLB. I assumed others did that when they upgraded and possibly made the VLB VGA jump at the same time as their upgrade.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 17182 of 52744, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Awesome, probnot! Detail your restore in system specs or something, would you?

I totally will. Super stoked 😀

badmojo wrote:

Nice one, and it's a 'proper' 486 too! (VLB). Strange that it has an ISA IO card; it'd be worth tracking down a VLB one I think. And of course that battery is a worry.

I thought that was odd too. I would like to track one down just for the second IDE channel (since getting the ribbon cable to go between the CD-ROM and SD adapter will be a PITA. This was a custom-build machine by a local (now defunct) computer builder, and it still has the asset tag from the medical office it came from, so I'm assuming it was a cost reason when built.

Also, I've already removed the battery and replaced with some wires for now (for future battery pack). No leaking and it still was at 2.4v, but definitely had to be removed.

Reply 17183 of 52744, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another audio gear tangent here. Got a new deskside amp. Traded my Pioneer SX-6 for it. Supposedly it didn't work, but seems fine to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_223526.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170527_223526.jpg
    File size
    772.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17184 of 52744, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No pictures, but I bought a buncha HW from a recycle center. The centerpiece being a Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB Rev A matched pair still attached to their SLI bridge! Unfortunately, one of the DM3D2's has some bent 'fingers' (what are those called officially?) and what looks like a very light scratch on the PCB. That one, while it passes video, does not do 3D. I'm going to try straightening the fingers some more (at the very least they are still connected to the PCB and the chip) and give it a try.

Reply 17186 of 52744, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Just received this lot.<snip>

I just noticed the seller removed all heatsinks off of the things.. all chipset heatsinks from the motherboards and all heatsink-fans off the video cards... Why?? 😕 😕

And probably ruined several of em in the process. 😢 😵

Yes, you are also right. This lot was sold for recycling, so I think the buyer thought it would be a benefit to have this already removed. 😵
So I am even more happy to have saved these 286/386 boards...

Pajaman wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Then there is a nice Socket 7 AT board

Don't want to ruin the day, but it seems that the lever and top locking mechanism from the Socket 7 has been removed 🙁

Yes, I also noticed this....
The CPU is tight in place without this locking mechanism, but the board isnt working anyway.

But as the 286 board, at least one of the 386 boards and also the Genoa EGA/VGA are running, this was a good deal for me. I am going to re-sell all the other stuff, therefore it will be even better.

Reply 17187 of 52744, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
probnot wrote:

I finally found a 486! Just happened to stop at the recycler today and he had one available...25 Canadian Pesos!

Very nice find, i really like it!
I agree, replace battery ASAP

Maybe you should put a 3.5 inch floppy in the vertical slot , or you can find some bezels (3.5 or 5.25) to cover the holes. A 5.25 floppy drive would be a nice addon, but it's great as is

Sunday flea market time! I did find some interesting stuff today.

too much ram.jpg
Filename
too much ram.jpg
File size
205.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Box full of ram. 5 eur for the entire box. Mostly pc100-pc 133 ram , varying from 32 to 128 mb ,
lots of Simms too, at least one is 32 mb!! wow
at least 10 cache memory sticks,one ddr 256 and just one 32pin 1 mb ram

The same seller had those pc game boxes at 1 eur each, 97-2000 era

Reply 17189 of 52744, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brad1982_5 wrote:
Bought an unused AT Case as good as new from car boot today for just 3 British pounds. http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x305/b […]
Show full quote

Bought an unused AT Case as good as new from car boot today for just 3 British pounds.
20170528_144934.jpg
20170528_144835.jpg
20170528_144849.jpg
20170528_144521.jpg

Nice case! No unnecessary obstructions, so it seems you could have full-length cards like SB AWE 32.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17191 of 52744, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw a Hercules branded card there today also and a Radeon X800 AGP card there too.
I already have an ATX version of that same case with an AWE32 in!
They are called Jupiter AT/ATX cases hence the style of the power and reset switches and were exclusive to Maplin Electronics.
AWE32.jpg

Reply 17192 of 52744, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
probnot wrote:
I finally found a 486! Just happened to stop at the recycler today and he had one available...25 Canadian Pesos! […]
Show full quote

I finally found a 486! Just happened to stop at the recycler today and he had one available...25 Canadian Pesos!

Intel 486DX2-66
16MB RAM (4x4MB 30-pin SIMMs)
Unknown motherboard
VI-711A VLB Graphics (Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428)
Pine Technology PT-604A Controller
Enermax PSU

It posts, but the PSU will need a re-cap (some are even bulging).

I suggest a full recap on any capacitor in the system, the fact that the PSU caps are bulging is likely due to the reason the system not being powered for a LONG time (every year is recommended at a max every 3 years to prevent caps from going bad at accelerated rate).

Reply 17193 of 52744, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

I suggest a full recap on any capacitor in the system, the fact that the PSU caps are bulging is likely due to the reason the system not being powered for a LONG time (every year is recommended at a max every 3 years to prevent caps from going bad at accelerated rate).

That's the plan. Unfortunately, I had to order some of the larger value caps that I didn't have in stock, so I won't be able to re-cap until Tuesday at the earliest...

Reply 17194 of 52744, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

Never heard of this before. Is there a technical reason (or explanation) why not powering up a system over a long time span will cause caps to go bad? I always thought it was environmental conditions. Of my personal boards, the longest one that remained powered off was probably my Asus P4GPL-X. It was off for 11 years, and the caps are in great shape.

Reply 17195 of 52744, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
Richo wrote:

Never heard of this before. Is there a technical reason (or explanation) why not powering up a system over a long time span will cause caps to go bad? I always thought it was environmental conditions. Of my personal boards, the longest one that remained powered off was probably my Asus P4GPL-X. It was off for 11 years, and the caps are in great shape.

I suggest you read about the Capacitor Plague and exactly what it entails. Basically there was a period with older electronics where suspect capacitors were used and if some have already failed then the rest are expected to fail in very short order. And devices with bad capacitors should not be operated until they're replaced. They can lead to serious overheating and if the electrolyte contained inside leaks onto the surface of the PCB while it's under electrical load, it can short circuit the thing and start a fire in worst cases, leading to damage of entire PCB's and other nasty things that would make repairing it a lot more expensive than just a few bucks for capacitors. Or permanently destroy an entire board if that's the issue, like on a motherboard.

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Reply 17196 of 52744, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oxidation and UV can deteriorate components regardless of usage. I wouldn't expect periodically starting a system to ameliorate this. It does help prevent stiction in fan and hard drive bearings, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17197 of 52744, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:
Richo wrote:

I suggest you read about the Capacitor Plague and exactly what it entails. Basically there was a period with older electronics where suspect capacitors were used and if some have already failed then the rest are expected to fail in very short order. And devices with bad capacitors should not be operated until they're replaced. They can lead to serious overheating and if the electrolyte contained inside leaks onto the surface of the PCB while it's under electrical load, it can short circuit the thing and start a fire in worst cases, leading to damage of entire PCB's and other nasty things that would make repairing it a lot more expensive than just a few bucks for capacitors. Or permanently destroy an entire board if that's the issue, like on a motherboard.

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

For the lazy here is the basics: Essentially from 1999-2007 a number of non solid water-aluminium based capacitor manufactures were using an unstable formula to manufacture there capacitors leading to an extremely high failure rate increasing exponentially as time went by. By far the worst period would be 2000-2004 and easily the most heavily affected parts would be OEM Motherboards. High end name brand motherboards and add in cards seem to be less affected and when it is its usually off brand or low end stuff.

Come to think of it....
Wasn't the entire fiasco caused by some idiots in Taiwan attempting corporate espionage and stealing/copying a bad/incomplete formula or some such similar idiocy?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17198 of 52744, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:
I love the Creative boxes! […]
Show full quote

I love the Creative boxes!

I got one of these:
5fd45095a868b007b05013834dba7a95_XL.jpg

+

Athlon XP 2600+ FSB 266

Nice find! I have an Asus version of the ti500 but i am a sucker for these Prophet cards, i like them a lot! I do have a Geforce2 Pro version of the Prophet which has the same ''looks''.
I recently found a normal Geforce3 from this Prophet series but i had to leave it at the scrapper as it had too much components missing....i was 😢

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17199 of 52744, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to a local computer shop again (another one, not the one that's closing 😜 ) and got some cool stuff.

- Boxed 586 cooler (probably Socket 5/7)
- RAM cooler module (for overclocking RAM and keeping them cool? Not sure.)
- Adaptec SCSI card, PCI
- Sound Blaster Audigy SB0090
- "take me home" PS2 mouse
- Generic PCMCIA desktop reader? with ISA controller card
- 4 PS/2 to AT converter cables

In total it was like $47, their clearance aisle is full of cool stuff. 🤣

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA