Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17460 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Bought original Radeon256 64 mb DDR VIVO. Just in case some certain Youtube review will cause "OMG it's Radeon256!" effect with massive overpricing 😈 Apparently it's 183mhz version.

Radeon 256 64mb DDR VIVO front.jpg
Radeon 256 64mb DDR VIVO back.jpg

It's ATI Radeon R6 DDR not Radeon256 🤣.

BTW... If that's from the eBay listing I believe it to be you grabbed it like 10 hours before I went to try and get it. I had just gotten the funds when it disappeared. Nice job.

So uh what video are you talking about? Pretty much every video (including Phil's) says the 7500LE is better for most tasks.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17461 of 52614, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
It's ATI Radeon R6 DDR not Radeon256 lol. […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Bought original Radeon256 64 mb DDR VIVO. Just in case some certain Youtube review will cause "OMG it's Radeon256!" effect with massive overpricing 😈 Apparently it's 183mhz version.

BTW... If that's from the eBay listing I believe it to be you grabbed it like 10 hours before I went to try and get it. I had just gotten the funds when it disappeared. Nice job.

So uh what video are you talking about? Pretty much every video (including Phil's) says the 7500LE is better for most tasks.

He said the same thing about the GF2 and GF256. It's more of bringing attention to it being special than saying it's good.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17462 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
It's ATI Radeon R6 DDR not Radeon256 lol. […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

He said the same thing about the GF2 and GF256. It's more of bringing attention to it being special than saying it's good.

The thing is: It's not. It doesnt have any ground breaking features for it's time. GF2 was out by the time it was so TnL was nothing special. It's performance was inferior to other cards at launch. It doesn't have that ground breaking features/performance like the GF256 did.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17463 of 52614, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The thing is: It's not. It doesnt have any ground breaking features for it's time. GF2 was out by the time it was so TnL was nothing special. It's performance was inferior to other cards at launch. It doesn't have that ground breaking features/performance like the GF256 did.

It's special because it's the first radeon card. To some people that's worth something. Either because it's neat to own or as a trophy piece. The latter being the reason prices go up. Personally, i'd like to have a GF256 DDR 64mb to put in my dell B1000r, but there's no way i'd pay the prices people are asking even if I could afford them. I'd rather not support "collectors" inflating the prices. Same reason I won't sell my fury maxx even though I think it's broken.

Reply 17464 of 52614, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Wikipedia must be wrong about the R6 Radeons. I have an ATI R6 that is default clocked to 200/200, which apparently they labeled as '7500'.

Reply 17465 of 52614, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If that's from the eBay listing I believe it to be you grabbed it like 10 hours before I went to try and get it

It was bought dirt cheap locally.

dexvx wrote:

I have an ATI R6 that is default clocked to 200/200

That's Radeon DDR SE. 5ns memory for retail version.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17466 of 52614, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Wiki says retail default clock is 183/183. OEM is 166/166. 5ns memory translates to 200 MHz rating.

Also, on a side note. I got a Matrox Parhelia, PH-A128R. This is the second Parhelia I got, and the second one that has arrived DOA. Packaging was good. Unit looks like its in good condition; very little dust build up. Fan spins up properly. I'm using a VGA -> DVI-I adapter. Am I possibly doing anything wrong? This is the card in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrox-MGI-PH-A128R-V … ty/252935131542

I see that the inductor on the bottom right has its top plastic piece cracked, but the coils look good.

Reply 17467 of 52614, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Wiki says retail default clock is 183/183. OEM is 166/166. 5ns memory translates to 200 MHz rating. […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Wiki says retail default clock is 183/183. OEM is 166/166. 5ns memory translates to 200 MHz rating.

Also, on a side note. I got a Matrox Parhelia, PH-A128R. This is the second Parhelia I got, and the second one that has arrived DOA. Packaging was good. Unit looks like its in good condition; very little dust build up. Fan spins up properly. I'm using a VGA -> DVI-I adapter. Am I possibly doing anything wrong? This is the card in question:

I see that the inductor on the bottom right has its top plastic piece cracked, but the coils look good.

Higher memory rating doesn't always mean it has to be clocked at the rated clock, i've seen cards with higher memory rating, but running at lower clocks, like some Geforce 256 SDR cards with 183 or 200 mhz chips, but running the memory at only 166 mhz, it gives more headroom for OC though

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17468 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's special because it's the first radeon card. To some people that's worth something. Either because it's neat to own or as a trophy piece. The latter being the reason prices go up. Personally, i'd like to have a GF256 DDR 64mb to put in my dell B1000r, but there's no way i'd pay the prices people are asking even if I could afford them. I'd rather not support "collectors" inflating the prices. Same reason I won't sell my fury maxx even though I think it's broken.

I have various get rich quick schemes in action right now so I can hopefully get the amount of disposable income needed to strong arm these eBay auctions for stuff like 256 DDRs and V5 whenever I desire.

Reply 17469 of 52614, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I have various get rich quick schemes in action right now so I can hopefully get the amount of disposable income needed to strong arm these eBay auctions for stuff like 256 DDRs and V5 whenever I desire.

I thought you already had a GF256 DDR.

Reply 17470 of 52614, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have got this Leadtek card today.
It should be the 6800 GT version.

2lYxqO5.jpg

YlYOtOs.jpg

Now i should have 3 types of Leadtek's GF6 series. The 6800LE(but not with org. heatsink), probably the 6800, and the 6800 GT.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 17471 of 52614, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is 6800GT and you can use dat copper cooler for a self-defense/bloody murder.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17472 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

I thought you already had a GF256 DDR.

Nope. 2 SDRs. An ELSA Erazor X and a Dell OEM with no fan. Not only that, I got them both on the same day. One was free, the other $20 dollars (the Erazor X)

I'm hoping to put a fan on the Dell and trade it for a 2 Ultra or a GF3 Ti 500

Reply 17473 of 52614, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a GF3-Ti500, but I'd only trade it towards a GF256 DDR 😀

I have an Elsa Gloria II (Erazor-X Quadro) coming in. Somewhat of a pity that the Gloria II Pro (DDR version) is AGP Pro slot.

Reply 17474 of 52614, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Did you connect the DVI -> VGA adapter to Port A?

Reply 17475 of 52614, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:
Found another old laptop at a flea market -- this time for the whopping price of 10 SEK (so that's about $1.15 American) :blush: […]
Show full quote

Found another old laptop at a flea market -- this time for the whopping price of 10 SEK (so that's about $1.15 American) 😊

This is a fully functional AST PowerExec 4/33SL ColorPlus. For my hard earned dollar-and-change, I got the computer -- in great condition -- with the original charger, detachable trackball and a random PS/2 mouse that isn't AST branded.

As the name suggests it has an Intel 486 SL/33 processor. It's also got 8 MB of RAM (stock was 4 MB, it was upgraded at some point with 4 MB in crazy expensive proprietary modules) and a 200 MB hard drive. 640x480 active matrix TFT display (hot stuff for 1993!), 512K Western Digital VGA. Built-in 3.5" floppy drive. Two PCMCIA slots. Detachable trackball. MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1. A real hot-shot business machine. In 1993/94 this would have cost upwards of $5000 with the 4 MB RAM upgrade... And that's in 1993 dollars.

The machine has some cool features such as being able to enter BIOS Setup at any point (even when running Windows) by pressing Fn-F2. Never seen that before. A very uncool feature is AltGr being accessed as Fn-Alt... I guess now I'm on the lookout for PCMCIA network and sound cards -- I know the latter are almost impossible to find, but it would be really fun to have one!

I have an old AST laptop from the same era (the 700N model) that also have the Fn-F2 combo to enter the Bios Setup, that combo works under Windows 95 by the way, exiting the Bios reboots the computer though, not a very good idea to abuse it. I'll try in NT4.0 one of these days.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 17476 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

I have an Elsa Gloria II (Erazor-X Quadro) coming in. Somewhat of a pity that the Gloria II Pro (DDR version) is AGP Pro slot.

Trading a DDR for a Ti500 would basically be ripping oneself off. Ti500s are like 50ish on eBay. There's actually a PNY model for $50 BIN with free shipping from TVRSales right now and another that's 2 days from ending sitting at $60 with zero bids. They aren't unobtanium. There are absolutely no GeForce256 cards listed and all the ended listings recently are north of 80 dollars just for SDR cards. I suspect a DDR would be worth more than 100.

Reply 17477 of 52614, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I've tried both ports. I've had Parhelia PCI-X, and it would only work with the bottom port on boot up. So I assume that's what you mean Port-A is.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Trading a DDR for a Ti500 would basically be ripping oneself off. Ti500s are like 50ish on eBay. There's actually a PNY model for $50 BIN with free shipping from TVRSales right now and another that's 2 days from ending sitting at $60 with zero bids. They aren't unobtanium. There are absolutely no GeForce256 cards listed and all the ended listings recently are north of 80 dollars just for SDR cards. I suspect a DDR would be worth more than 100.

The tvrsales one is most certainly not a Ti500. It's either a vanilla GF3 or a Quadro DCC. If this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-180-P0050-0000 … D-/262845115112

There's one seller that had 4 Dell GF3 Ti500's for $30 shipped 2 weeks back, but that sold within a day. I certainly concede the Ti500's are more common than GF256's, but the SDR value is a fraction of the DDR value because it simply isn't the best of that generation. I've sold a GF256 SDR, and they only sell for about $30 + shipping. There's a Guillemot GF256 SDR that is going for under $30 that's been sitting for over a week (with reasonable international shipping). I've also posted here on Vogons about a Guillemot GF256 SDR in a bundle that only went for $10 (+shipping).

Reply 17478 of 52614, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked the below system up locally on CL. It was in fairly good condition and not that dirty. Seller also included Win98SE CoA, and 15 assorted mid-late 90s era CD-ROM games. System can POST, haven't tested it further. I'm so behind.

Asus CUV4X-C (looks like cut down version, 2 DIMMs instead of 4)
P3 1GHz/133 FSB
1x 512MB PC133
Voodoo3 2000 PCI ... really lucky to pick this up, considering it has an AGP port
SB Live! CT 4830
HDD/Floppy/DVD-ROM
No name PSU, looks like owner cut some cables... will probably just toss it.

4GyYlrw.jpg

Reply 17479 of 52614, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
I've tried both ports. I've had Parhelia PCI-X, and it would only work with the bottom port on boot up. So I assume that's what […]
Show full quote
lazibayer wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I've tried both ports. I've had Parhelia PCI-X, and it would only work with the bottom port on boot up. So I assume that's what you mean Port-A is.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

The tvrsales one is most certainly not a Ti500. It's either a vanilla GF3 or a Quadro DCC. If this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-180-P0050-0000 … D-/262845115112

There's one seller that had 4 Dell GF3 Ti500's for $30 shipped 2 weeks back, but that sold within a day. I certainly concede the Ti500's are more common than GF256's, but the SDR value is a fraction of the DDR value because it simply isn't the best of that generation. I've sold a GF256 SDR, and they only sell for about $30 + shipping. There's a Guillemot GF256 SDR that is going for under $30 that's been sitting for over a week (with reasonable international shipping). I've also posted here on Vogons about a Guillemot GF256 SDR in a bundle that only went for $10 (+shipping).

Yeah, you want to know where that seller got the Ti 500s? I'm guessing he's the guy that bought the last 4 of a listed under model number lot that I had been watching waiting until I had funds. But no hilariously enough that's not it. The one I'm referring to is a PNY Model. I posted a link in the eBay thread.

How much do you estimate a DDR to be worth then? I think I'll find one listed incorrectly or in a bundle very soon. I'm getting quite adept at identifing cards based on poor eBay pictures.

Either way, my point stands trading a DDR for a TI 500 would be a bad deal. It would also probably be a bad deal for a GeForce2 Ultra as there are still a sufficient number of those in OEM format floating around. A DDR should net you a Voodoo3 or a TNT2 Ultra (which is actually more common. I already own one and I see the creative OEM model quite often on eBay)