Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21040 of 52691, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

All Caps are missing on the soundcard.

When in a childhood you was hit by capacitor, then you grew up and began to take revenge! :lol:

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 21041 of 52691, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Capripper has struck again 😲 If you have a decent soldering iron you could just give it a go, replace the caps and it might still work. Sometimes people think they can make something better by replacing caps/resistors etc, start to furiously remove parts just to realize they don't have the hardware or experience to finish the job and the PCB goes straight to the bin (speaking from my own experience here).

New caps are dirt cheap anyway. Even it turns out to be broken, you've still "earned some exp" for future repairs 🤣

Reply 21042 of 52691, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:

[
When in a childhood you was hit by capacitor, then you grew up and began to take revenge! 🤣

Hehe, indeed... 😈

No will not give up so fast. Yes, the replacement parts will cost few cent and I will try to repair...

For the caps..
I see here a "10" on the top:
http://imageshack.us/download/845/krk0.jpg

..and here at the bottom..
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/201 … er1.0_front.jpg
a "16".

16V 10µF I assume...

Then I need the thing with the 3 legs...ahhhh...forget the name 🤣 Will desolder the other one and take a look at it...

Reply 21045 of 52691, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vegge wrote:
luckybob wrote:

@Vegge

A 133mhz socket 4 overdrive? Those are NOT common, and generally expensive. I'm envious!

Correct, glad to hear that. 😁 Always interested in uncommon/odd stuff 😀

It looks brand new. Does it work? Curious spacing of the SIMM slots. It has external PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports - is this from a Compaq, Dell, Gateway, or similar case?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21047 of 52691, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
Vegge wrote:
luckybob wrote:

@Vegge

A 133mhz socket 4 overdrive? Those are NOT common, and generally expensive. I'm envious!

Correct, glad to hear that. 😁 Always interested in uncommon/odd stuff 😀

It looks brand new. Does it work? Curious spacing of the SIMM slots. It has external PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports - is this from a Compaq, Dell, Gateway, or similar case?

The yellow label on the board reminds me of ones I've seen on Compaq-branded Matrox cards from the late 90s, so I would lean toward it being a Compaq board.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21048 of 52691, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I know it is an Intel board. The L2 cache arrangement is a dead giveaway. Iirc it is the "batman" board. I have no clue why it is called that.

High treason made an awesome video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVAjUEQi4w

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21049 of 52691, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I know it is an Intel board. The L2 cache arrangement is a dead giveaway. Iirc it is the "batman" board.

Intel used exactly the same layout for many boards from that era. My Neptune board looks exactly the same, but has socket 5:

file.php?id=40065

Reply 21050 of 52691, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

The yellow label on the board reminds me of ones I've seen on Compaq-branded Matrox cards from the late 90s, so I would lean toward it being a Compaq board.

There was a Compaq-branded Matrox card in the late 90's? I frankly never heard of it. What was it? Mystique?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21051 of 52691, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

It looks very nice, but I don't know if its used. Can't give an answer to where it's from either. But yes it works, I had to mod the RTC to cr2032. Sadly it seems to be a bit locked in bios, the advanced chipset menu is nowhere to be found (Ami bios). 😢

Reply 21052 of 52691, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

There was a Compaq-branded Matrox card in the late 90's? I frankly never heard of it. What was it? Mystique?

There are a few. I have some. They come up in Google searches pretty easily and some have those yellow/orange stickers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=compaq+matrox … biw=360&bih=530

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21053 of 52691, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I have one from 1997(date on the board) in my collection, its a Mystique 220. I think I have seen a Millenium/Millenium2 as well somewhere.
Click picture for larger.
img_9556sm.jpg

Reply 21054 of 52691, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

picked up a matrox power VR card today. Do you think it'll play nice with a voodoo 3?

GSsbiHPl.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 21055 of 52691, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:
picked up a matrox power VR card today. Do you think it'll play nice with a voodoo 3? […]
Show full quote

picked up a matrox power VR card today. Do you think it'll play nice with a voodoo 3?

GSsbiHPl.jpg

Probably not.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21057 of 52691, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered a Female DIN5 to male PS2 adapter as I try to get two Tandy 1000s (SL and TL) working from one Tandy keyboard via KVM. The KVM has DIN5 connectors for each Tandy on the input cables but the output on the KVM is a PS2 port. Hoping the adapter works as I had no luck with any standard or Model M PS2 keyboards I tested

Reply 21058 of 52691, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
martin939 wrote:

A transistor 😁
Also - check for short on those.

hmpf have all parts together except this "transistor". Its labeled "79L05", a "Negative Regulator". Think I have to order it, all other cards I have in spare have a 78L05 which is different 😒

DSC_6589.JPG
Filename
DSC_6589.JPG
File size
4.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception