Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21081 of 52700, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like how this case looks. I still remember seeing these on display in newly built systems many years ago. It was probably the first "mini tower" case I ever saw.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21082 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I really like how this case looks. I still remember seeing these on display in newly built systems many years ago. It was probably the first "mini tower" case I ever saw.

+1 - Love the look of these + the Mhz display. So classic!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21083 of 52700, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh wow, two awesome cases. Nice finds @Cyrix200+ and @sf78 😁

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 21085 of 52700, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martin939 wrote:

Ahahaha, you're the one who snatched it! The seller got like double he asked for.
I let it go because it had a soldered CPU.

Yes, but I think the onboard CPU can be disabled and you can install another PGA168 CPU (some IBM PS/1 and Valuepoints have such motherboards too).

I actually thought the case was discolorated, but it looks pretty nice for its age.

Reply 21086 of 52700, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martin939 wrote:

Ahahaha, you're the one who snatched it! The seller got like double he asked for.

Yes, I really got it for the case. It's the case my fathers first PC had, and that was the computer I played most of my games on in the first few years. That was a 386SX 16MHz though.

SpectriaForce wrote:
martin939 wrote:

Yes, but I think the onboard CPU can be disabled and you can install another PGA168 CPU (some IBM PS/1 and Valuepoints have such motherboards too).

I actually thought the case was discolorated, but it looks pretty nice for its age.

Yeah, I think you can use the socket on the board for another CPU. I didn't really look into it. This is the board:

s8bjmjel.jpg

The case looks brand new actually. No scratches, no discoloration.

I wasn't the highest bidder by the way, but some others went incommunicado... There was a system with the same case that sold a few weeks ago on Marktplaats also, I missed that one.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21087 of 52700, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went for a 150km drive to pickup these four cards (sellers photos):

retro-graficke-kartice-isa-vesa-slika-92155833.jpg

retro-graficke-kartice-isa-vesa-slika-92155834.jpg

and a SS7 motherboard:

maticna-ploca-super-socket-7-s7-procesore-35887801xx-via-vt82c598m-slika-88749074.jpg

They were listed on a local site as untested. On location I discovered the motherboard had some burned chips... so I left it. Two VLB graphics cards also had a few quirks (one had broken three tantalum caps and the other one some bent pins on the main chip). All cards were missing jumper caps. Even though I paid "only" 12€ for four cards + fuel I felt this wasn't a good deal as it looked everything was broken 🙁

Went straight home. Looked for the jumper settings, straightened the pins and tested the one I was most interested in - Paradise Bahamas64 VLB card. 1st try... eight beeps and no picture. I removed some jumpers and tried again... this time success 😁 Did a quick test in DOS and Windows 3.11 with S3 864 drivers and it looks it will be fine. All the rest are bad/can't get them to work.

I'm quite happy as this is the 1st Trio64 VLB in my collection. I'll upgrade the memory to full 2MB. I know the performance is on the same level as 864 but it's nice to have all the good cards.

Now I'm missing just a few VGA cards for my collection. So near but yet so far from finish 😲

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 21088 of 52700, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Yeah, I think you can use the socket on the board for another CPU. I didn't really look into it. This is the board: […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I think you can use the socket on the board for another CPU. I didn't really look into it. This is the board:

The case looks brand new actually. No scratches, no discoloration.

I wasn't the highest bidder by the way, but some others went incommunicado... There was a system with the same case that sold a few weeks ago on Marktplaats also, I missed that one.

I believe the expansion socket is socket 1 compliant, so it should allow the use of a non crippled 5V 486 CPU.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21090 of 52700, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
Went for a 150km drive to pickup these four cards (sellers photos): […]
Show full quote

Went for a 150km drive to pickup these four cards (sellers photos):

retro-graficke-kartice-isa-vesa-slika-92155833.jpg

retro-graficke-kartice-isa-vesa-slika-92155834.jpg

and a SS7 motherboard:

maticna-ploca-super-socket-7-s7-procesore-35887801xx-via-vt82c598m-slika-88749074.jpg

They were listed on a local site as untested. On location I discovered the motherboard had some burned chips... so I left it. Two VLB graphics cards also had a few quirks (one had broken three tantalum caps and the other one some bent pins on the main chip). All cards were missing jumper caps. Even though I paid "only" 12€ for four cards + fuel I felt this wasn't a good deal as it looked everything was broken 🙁

Went straight home. Looked for the jumper settings, straightened the pins and tested the one I was most interested in - Paradise Bahamas64 VLB card. 1st try... eight beeps and no picture. I removed some jumpers and tried again... this time success 😁 Did a quick test in DOS and Windows 3.11 with S3 864 drivers and it looks it will be fine. All the rest are bad/can't get them to work.

I'm quite happy as this is the 1st Trio64 VLB in my collection. I'll upgrade the memory to full 2MB. I know the performance is on the same level as 864 but it's nice to have all the good cards.

Now I'm missing just a few VGA cards for my collection. So near but yet so far from finish 😲

mATX SS7? What model is that? I need to find one of those for sure.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21091 of 52700, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Looks like AT form factor to me? SS7 MATX boards do exist though. I have this one

Chaintech 5RSA2

WvqRwAGl.jpg

Reply 21092 of 52700, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
Looks like AT form factor to me? SS7 MATX boards do exist though. I have this one […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Looks like AT form factor to me? SS7 MATX boards do exist though. I have this one

Chaintech 5RSA2

WvqRwAGl.jpg

Wow, that's a really sweet board. Tiny, SS7, integrated ESS Solo-1, AGP, 2 PCI, 2 ISA... could do an awful lot with a tiny board like that. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21093 of 52700, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Isn't the soldered CPU just a 486SX and the socket for a 487? That's how it looks to me.

There is no "487". The 486SX is identical except with FPU disabled. When a processor is inserted in the expansion socket, the soldered on processor is disabled.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21094 of 52700, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Isn't the soldered CPU just a 486SX and the socket for a 487? That's how it looks to me.

There is no "487". The 486SX is identical except with FPU disabled. When a processor is inserted in the expansion socket, the soldered on processor is disabled.

Actually there was/is such a thing as a 487. Intel produced a 487SX, which is basically a 486DX, and disables the 486SX. Works much like an overdrive chip.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21095 of 52700, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

There is. While you are correct that the SX had just the FPU disabled, they still made a 487 to go with it. The 487 was a full 486DX (which took over the system when inserted) but with one pin changed on the chip and the socket, so you can neither put a 486DX in a 487 socket, nor a 487 in a 486 socket.

Reply 21096 of 52700, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought it few days ago, but I was outside of civilization, so couldn't post about it.

But yeah, for some inexplicable reason, I really wanted to buy some 3dfx card. And somehow, on German eBay, there was Voodoo4 4500 on auction, so I tried and I won it. Wasn't somebody from here bidding on it as well? 😀

V4_4500_1.jpg

V4_4500_2.jpg

V4_4500_3.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 21097 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot of processors to start off the new year.
1IlWto.jpg

Been trying to find this mouse pad 4-ev-er. This one is somewhat special as it was included in some 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 AGP boxes as an apology for 3DFX's inability to get these out in time. So purdy!!
szGZHf.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21099 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

I have that mousepad in my v5500 box, are they rare?

Rare enough I'd say. They get lost in the shuffle in open-boxed AGP 5500s.

LihnlZ.jpg