VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22261 of 52744, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
This lot of 30+ old cards. All look to be ISA except for one VLB card from what I can tell. […]
Show full quote

This lot of 30+ old cards. All look to be ISA except for one VLB card from what I can tell.

I was not the only bidder. I'm guessing the lot would have went for more if the seller had actually detailed exactly what was there.

The poor quality pictures also probably didn't help.

Anybody want to hazard a guess at what exactly some of the cards are?

box.jpg
one.jpg
two.jpg

Edit:
I think the one that is a Creative card near the one end is a SB16 CT2290 from pics I can find.

Hey, did you break into my garage?

Reply 22262 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

If I wasn't trying to dig myself out of a heap of old computer hardware I would have bid on that too... I saw that listing and started coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas as to what could be in there. Hopefully it isn't just a box of old interface cards, modems and network cards. 🤣

Let us know what you find!

I think I can see a lot of sound cards in there.. just can't tell what they are. The card in the anti-static bag looks like it has a pair of RCA plugs. Only thing it could really be is a Creative Music System/Game Blaster or an AWE64 Gold.

The more yellow colored card is probably an Aztech sound card.

The card in front of the VLB card looks to be a video card as there are sockets for RAM.

Can tell that a few other cards are video cards as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22263 of 52744, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally bought a couple AMD K6-3+ 450MHz CPUs. I already have an original K6-3 450MHz from back in the day, so I didn't want to cut my cache size in half when I upgraded. If I did that, then I'd constantly be agonizing over the compromise and which chip was preferable in a given situation.
So I paid the premium and got the K6-3+ instead of the 2+. Hoarding mentality kicked in and I bought two. Why?
A big reason for having the "+" version is to overclock it, and they are tiny so storage space isn't an issue.
I've already seen my old K6-3 decline in stability below it's marked specifications, perhaps as a result of prolonged, but not severe overheating (never overclocked). This has made me question the durability of these CPUs.
The K6-3+ also seem to be much less common than the 2+ version so I'm worried that future pricing will be volatile. It's the ultimate socket-7 CPU, so I feel having a "backup" is worthwhile.

I also bought a Motorola 68000 16MHz CPU.. not sure why the part number reads as "MC6800P12F 16MHz", while slower versions all seemed to put the rated clock speed after the P in the part number (MC6800P8 for 8MHz and so on). I'm also not sure what the "F" means. I looked at a datasheet but didn't find an explanation for the formatting.

Reply 22264 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@cyclone3d

I was going to bid on that too, but I was saving my money for this auction; https://www.ebay.com/itm/253453849906 sadly it went over my limit, so I ended up getting this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112633078329

Supposedly a high-quality video capture card. I'm hoping standard adapters will work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22265 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

@cyclone3d

I was going to bid on that too, but I was saving my money for this auction; https://www.ebay.com/itm/253453849906 sadly it went over my limit, so I ended up getting this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112633078329

Supposedly a high-quality video capture card. I'm hoping standard adapters will work.

I've got one of those capture cards. Standard adapters do work.

Have fun finding a full-height bracket. I ended up using one from a broken low end video card. Bracket height was still too high for it to be held down with a regular sized slot screw, so I ended up using a spacer and longer screw to make it fit. I haven't actually done any real capturing with it yet.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22266 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, my goal for now is to record some mac games at 640x480. past that I have no plans. should be fun!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22267 of 52744, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, cyclone3d. You should do an unboxing video since we actually don’t know what is in there.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22268 of 52744, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
This lot of 30+ old cards. All look to be ISA except for one VLB card from what I can tell. […]
Show full quote

This lot of 30+ old cards. All look to be ISA except for one VLB card from what I can tell.

I was not the only bidder. I'm guessing the lot would have went for more if the seller had actually detailed exactly what was there.

The poor quality pictures also probably didn't help.

Anybody want to hazard a guess at what exactly some of the cards are?

box.jpg
one.jpg
two.jpg

Edit:
I think the one that is a Creative card near the one end is a SB16 CT2290 from pics I can find.

Edit2:
I think the 8-bit card with the partial sticker on the back is possibly a Sound Blaster 2.0 based on the ISA connector pins, the length of the card, the location of the through hole solder points on the back of the card and the hole in the one corner.

I don't know what they are but if there are extra VGA cards in there you could part with I would be more than happy to get some from you 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22269 of 52744, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Catched a mouse today. 😉

6400 dpi from a serial ball mouse? That's pretty hard to believe!

Maybe the last 0 is a typo. 😁 Sadly, it did not come with the driver disk. No idea if I can make use of the variable resolution with a standard mouse driver.

Reply 22270 of 52744, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:
Finally bought a couple AMD K6-3+ 450MHz CPUs. I already have an original K6-3 450MHz from back in the day, so I didn't want to […]
Show full quote

Finally bought a couple AMD K6-3+ 450MHz CPUs. I already have an original K6-3 450MHz from back in the day, so I didn't want to cut my cache size in half when I upgraded. If I did that, then I'd constantly be agonizing over the compromise and which chip was preferable in a given situation.
So I paid the premium and got the K6-3+ instead of the 2+. Hoarding mentality kicked in and I bought two. Why?
A big reason for having the "+" version is to overclock it, and they are tiny so storage space isn't an issue.
I've already seen my old K6-3 decline in stability below it's marked specifications, perhaps as a result of prolonged, but not severe overheating (never overclocked). This has made me question the durability of these CPUs.
The K6-3+ also seem to be much less common than the 2+ version so I'm worried that future pricing will be volatile. It's the ultimate socket-7 CPU, so I feel having a "backup" is worthwhile.

What is the going rate for K6-3+ CPUs these days? A quick search on ebay revealed a lot of those genuine NEW K6-3 K6-2+ CPUs 😒
Have these run completely dry or something?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22271 of 52744, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
shamino wrote:
Finally bought a couple AMD K6-3+ 450MHz CPUs. I already have an original K6-3 450MHz from back in the day, so I didn't want to […]
Show full quote

What is the going rate for K6-3+ CPUs these days? A quick search on ebay revealed a lot of those genuine NEW K6-3 K6-2+ CPUs 😒

I bought a few last year, from that seller in Germany that had a lot. It seems like that source has dried out...

EDIT: no they are relisted, a bit more expensive. I bought them for 20 euro/piece in October 2016

EDIT2: 400MHz, with a sort-of guarantee that they will overclock to 600MHz

1982 to 2001

Reply 22272 of 52744, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I bought a few last year, from that seller in Germany that had a lot. It seems like that source has dried out... […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
shamino wrote:
Show full quote

I bought a few last year, from that seller in Germany that had a lot. It seems like that source has dried out...

EDIT: no they are relisted, a bit more expensive. I bought them for 20 euro/piece in October 2016

Cheers 😀

I remember that seller, bought a whole lot of CPUs from him back then 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22273 of 52744, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Unless you have my luck. I have had two K6-III+ 400ATZ unable to maintain 600MHz. Still looking for that one chip that'll allow me to run it at 600MHz stable 🤣

Reply 22274 of 52744, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
shamino wrote:
Show full quote

I had thought so, but on a whim I searched for them last weekend and found one good result. There's somebody here in the US selling them for $20+shipping. I don't know if they ship overseas, so they might not show up on the NL site. I only saw that one seller offering them. It's unclear how many they have - after the previous ad ran out they added another batch.
It is kind of frustrating to search for them when most of the results for "K6-3+" are keyword spam and not really K6-3+ chips.
I'd give the link but I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore, seems that ebay links have become controversial.

Reply 22275 of 52744, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received this boxed beauty... it will be great for my Pantium III build.

Batyra_Geforce3.gif
Filename
Batyra_Geforce3.gif
File size
322.66 KiB
Views
File comment
Asus V8200 Deluxe (Geforce 3)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 22276 of 52744, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon 8500 or bust, Batyra.

Beautiful card, though. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22277 of 52744, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kind of excited about this one:

HhjH7mcm.jpg

It may look like an unimpressive Asus P2V-B board, but it actually came with something I wanted for a long time:

wTeQj1Tm.jpg

TFlmbUrm.jpg

This is an Asus USB/MIR card. Most Asus AT boards don't have standard pinout for PS/2 or USB so you have to get one of these cards which are rare for some reason. They are also known as "ATX Form card" from other vendors and I haven't been able to find one at decent price or one that could be shipped to Russia. Meanwhile, I have at least four Asus motherboards that use it, including TXP4, P2B-B, TX97-L and TX97-E.

Another thing this board came with is this slotket adapter:

myuTVbhm.jpg

I'm probably going to use it in my P3B-F board at some point. Fast Socket 370 CPUs are much more common than fast Slot 1 ones where I live.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22278 of 52744, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a standard slotket adapter. Most of the simple ones only work with the older Celeron cpu's (non coppermine).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22279 of 52744, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I bought a few last year, from that seller in Germany that had a lot. It seems like that source has dried out... […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

[...]

I bought one for EUR 14 two months back, also a German seller with what looked like new stock. Also 400ATZ. Clocked to 600MHz after raising VCore to 2.1V (with 2.0V 550 was the highest I could get out of it).

Today started awfully frustratingly with someone on Marktplaats having too much interesting stuff, but terrible communication (like listing the same items three times in different combinations, telling me to bid publicly after I messaged him - fair enough- but then selling to someone else five minutes after he overbid me by all of EUR 3 (which I would happily have topped) 🙁 ). Then today's post arrived and all the bad thoughts evaporated:

First this parcel from fellow Vogon and Amibayer kixs
full.png
The backbone of my 486 UMC build:
- Chicony TK 8498F/GP UMC UM8498F-based VLB So3 board.
- Surecom NE-12 UMC UM8009F-based ISA (NE2000-clone) Ethernet NIC
- Three untested MFM controllers for me to test my ST-412 with as soon as my data cable arrives (due later this week)
- (not in picture) an MFM control cable and a PS/2 backplate+cable for my other 486 board

All I need now for the build is a UMC CPU (an U5S-33 should be on its way to me as I write) and a UMC VLB Multi-IO + VGA combo board. There's one on eBay in Bulgaria right now, but EUR 61 is a bit too steep for me given this is purely for pointless fun. With a bit of patience something should turn up 😀

That parcel was the 'sure bet' with tested good stuff. But I also bought some untested and/or known dead things nearby and was not disappointed. The description was:
- MSI MS-6168 v2 dead - doesn't boot.
- 486 board untested
- 386 CPU card untested
- ISA sound card untested

This is what turned up:
full.png
- the ISA sound card is a Techmakers MF-4236PW, a pretty basic Crystal CX42356B-based card. Nothing special, but nice to have. The rest are pretty special:

- the 386 monster is an ancient Wyse 386 type 3216 motherboard-on-three-ISA-cards. The first two, with CPU and ROMs are screwed together, the third, a memory card with 1MB parity in 36 little chips (and space for a second MB on the other side) is connected via a bridge connector. This individual contains chips from 1990, but the design dates back to 1987 and it shows; all three boards are crammed with discrete logic components in every available space. Best of all, it doesn't have an onboard battery, just some pins - so no damage due to leaky battery either. It looks like it needs to be powered via a backplane, so to boot I'd need something like a PICMG backplane. Also it's missing a CPU (I've already ordered a 386DX for it) and the keyboard connector uses RJ11 not DIN or PS/2 so that also needs a solution. But this thing will rise again!

- the 486 board is its complete opposite: low end and highly integrated. It's a Packard Bell PB430 board, a late 486 LPX form factor board with a single-chip ACC Micro chipset and integrated ACC I/O and Cirrus Logic GD5428 VGA. Unfortunately it's also the opposite of the Wyse 386 in terms of condition. The battery has been removed, but not before leaking all over the upper part of the board, with some bad corrosion on the pins of nearby chips. Also it's been stripped of anything of interest, right down to the BIOS EEPROM and most jumpers. Nothing I can't replace, but I'd say the odds of getting this one working are pretty low. Nonetheless, I'll give it my best shot because A) I was looking for an LPX board for in my NOS LPX retail case anyway and B) long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I used to work for Packard Bell and had various naked PCBs including this exact board dangling from my cubicle wall to make sure no one else sat at *my* place (in theory everyone had flex desks, in practice almost everyone else was terrified of being electrocuted if they sat at mine) so unexpected nostalgia ahoy 😀

- the MS-6168 was a gamble, being a bit pricey for a known dead board. But what a board... uATX, i440BX chipset with Coppermine support, a real 'Creative' (=ESS) ES1373 onboard. Oh, and a Voodoo3-2000 with 8MB SGRAM onboard as well 😎 Plus I have something of a history with this board - not just because it was also used at Packard Bell when I worked there, but also because of a running joke about this board with two AGP slots due to a dumb comment I made once. So if I was going to do any Slot1 system (or indeed any obscure 3dfx stuff) it had to be this one. The gamble is simple: around 1999, over half of dead motherboards died due to bad caps. If that's what killed this one, I can resurrect it. Failing that there's a good chance it might be a dead BIOS. So with maybe 75% odds I can fix it, I thought a dead one was worth a shot.

Haven't tested it yet, but first impressions are spot on:
full.png
Look at that big cap to the upper left of the slot. Completely gone. The rest optically look OK, but need measuring as I don't trust a 1999 MSI-board capacitor as far as I can throw it. I really hope this is the cause of death! Also note the P3-600E in the slot. Wasn't expecting that, but a test CPU is always welcome 😀