VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30800 of 52354, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that an AN430TX? Seems to have a Vibra 16C and the spot for the integrated GPU seems to be vacant. It probably would have been an integrated ATI Rage II + DVD, or something similar.

Reply 30801 of 52354, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Is that an AN430TX? Seems to have a Vibra 16C and the spot for the integrated GPU seems to be vacant. It probably would have been an integrated ATI Rage II + DVD, or something similar.

Nope, that's a VX chipset. More likely to be TE430VX.

Reply 30802 of 52354, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
No. :P […]
Show full quote
imi wrote:

stop making me all jealous 😁

No. 😜

How you like this one:

P4041045.jpg

First consumer CD Recorder sold for under $1000 ($999 that is). I really love its colors.

Are you sure about that? I purchased a HP 4020i (bare drive) for around $1100 at Bestbuy and it dropped to $999 within a month (I got a rebate for the price difference). I would expect the external drive you show to cost at least $100 more then the bare drive I got.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 30803 of 52354, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I'm sure. This thing was made to be budget.

PMRCD.PNG

You are right that the external version was more expensive. But that model was the first one to have an SRP of under $1000.

Reply 30804 of 52354, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I think it's a VX but yes it does have a Vibra 16C onboard.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30805 of 52354, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

after not having luck with any of the scrap boxes full of motherboards and cpus I decided to just order one after all 😁

what fancy packaging...

hardware32_04.jpg

It looks as though I bought one from the same seller, as mine came in the same sort of case. Not long after buying that one, Ebay informed me that a K6-2+ 533 I had looked at had been relisted at a lower price ($11.45), so I bought that one as well. Which is fine, I have two Socket 7 boards.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 30806 of 52354, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:

It looks as though I bought one from the same seller, as mine came in the same sort of case. Not long after buying that one, Ebay informed me that a K6-2+ 533 I had looked at had been relisted at a lower price ($11.45), so I bought that one as well. Which is fine, I have two Socket 7 boards.

^^ Oh YOU bought that 533. I was about to hit the button on it, but chickened out as I'd have to resistor-mod my P5A-B in order to get it to run properly, and couldn't decide if I felt like going to that level of messing-around on a system that's running great as-is. When I went back to check it again it was already sold. 😜

I might still grab one of those 550s from the Chinese seller. They seem to have quite a few left.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30807 of 52354, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some random stuff I bought over the last few weeks.
Two Socket 4 CPUs, with and without the FDIV bug.

IMG_3947s.jpg
Filename
IMG_3947s.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Some memory and cache.

IMG_4043s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4043s.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license

And now for the free stuff.
PCI-X SCSI card.

IMG_4013s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4013s.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

And an old laptop, Toshiba T1200. Haven't tested it yet though.

IMG_4071s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4071s.jpg
File size
1010.68 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4072s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4072s.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30808 of 52354, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:

Some random stuff I bought over the last few weeks.
Two Socket 4 CPUs, with and without the FDIV bug.

IMG_3947s.jpg

Wow, great condition on those Socket 4's! Congratulations on that find. I wouldn't dare putting coolers on those, with that nice condition of the printing ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 30809 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
Repo Man11 wrote:

^^ Oh YOU bought that 533. I was about to hit the button on it, but chickened out as I'd have to resistor-mod my P5A-B in order to get it to run properly, and couldn't decide if I felt like going to that level of messing-around on a system that's running great as-is. When I went back to check it again it was already sold. 😜

I might still grab one of those 550s from the Chinese seller. They seem to have quite a few left.

well at least some of those chinese sellers have realized these are collectibles and aren't just scrapping them all... and the prices are somewhat reasonable at least too ^^

Reply 30810 of 52354, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a boxed memory expansion card a while back and it came in yesterday. It's a full height, full length 16-bit ISA card and it will give 640K with 4164s and 2.5M with 41256s. Of course, it's fully populated with 41256s!

I don't know anything about it, however, I can't even find record of this board. I can find a few mentions of Cheetah, but never this card itself. It didn't come with manuals or diskettes, and the box is very plain aside from the Cheetah logos. Would love to use this in my AT clone!

The box
MVIMG_20191018_104852.jpg
The card
MVIMG_20191018_105152.jpg

Reply 30812 of 52354, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

woah that's a dope lookin' card... what're you gonna do with all that cache?!

XMS, not cache. Unless you were talking to the guy with COAST modules, oops.

Reply 30813 of 52354, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

The T1200, like most early Toshibas, *MAY* requires a working battery to start up. *Or* you can wire around the battery - basically the charger *just* charges the battery.

Some of them (like mine) seem to and some don't - maybe the ones that don't are T1200 XLs?

Luckily C-cell nicads are still available, so you can make one pretty cheap. The batteries tend to leak but IIRC they are in a plastic tub so if it was stored flat it shouldn't have leaked onto the motherboard.

IIRC also they have a barrel-type CMOS battery which may have leaked.

Here's a manual if you haven't found it yet: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … ce%20Manual.pdf

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 30814 of 52354, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20191018_125609.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191018_125609.jpg
File size
79.55 KiB
Views
File license
gf1.jpg
Filename
gf1.jpg
File size
125.87 KiB
Views
File license

Pretty happy to find these today. Geforce256 work as far as I can tell. The Quadro4, on the other hand, does not post. Both of the top caps show damage. Not bad for digging them out of a bin.

Reply 30815 of 52354, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Merovign wrote:
The T1200, like most early Toshibas, *MAY* requires a working battery to start up. *Or* you can wire around the battery - basica […]
Show full quote
Vegge wrote:

The T1200, like most early Toshibas, *MAY* requires a working battery to start up. *Or* you can wire around the battery - basically the charger *just* charges the battery.

Some of them (like mine) seem to and some don't - maybe the ones that don't are T1200 XLs?

Luckily C-cell nicads are still available, so you can make one pretty cheap. The batteries tend to leak but IIRC they are in a plastic tub so if it was stored flat it shouldn't have leaked onto the motherboard.

IIRC also they have a barrel-type CMOS battery which may have leaked.

Here's a manual if you haven't found it yet: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … ce%20Manual.pdf

I have one of those too. Not been able to get it working yet, even after attempting to fake a battery in there. Unfortunately the casing is in very bad shape (plastic just crumbles), but would very much like to get it running, its HardRAM is a feature I'd love to play around with. It actually has three separate batteries - the main one, the CMOS one and a third keeping the HardRAM powered.

Reply 30817 of 52354, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are more curiosities for a project than solutions I'll use, as they're outclassed by other heatsinks on their respective platforms:

Thermaltake Silent Tower circa 2004

DSCN5956a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5956a.jpg
File size
464.74 KiB
Views
File license
DSCN5957a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5957a.jpg
File size
369.07 KiB
Views
File license

Thermaltake V1 circa 2008. Much older brother to the Zalman CNPS 6000cu.

DSCN5960a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5960a.jpg
File size
452.23 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30818 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice.. I still have the Silent Tower I bought new when it first came out. Works a bit better if there is a second fan on the other side used as an exhaust. And you can get higher cfm fans as well. The stock one really doesn't move a lot of air.

Edit: Here is one of the more interesting things I have gotten recently. I had been looking for one of these adapters for a good price for a while. It came with a motherboard, cpus, ram, and a few cards.
A Lin-Lin S370 adapter to use Coppermine CPUs in older boards as well as to use Tualatin CPUs in older boards.

adapter.jpg
Filename
adapter.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
jumper_settings.jpg
Filename
jumper_settings.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30819 of 52354, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought a Soyo SY-5EMA+ for a non ridiculous price, and am pretty happy about that. But it didn't include a backplate. So I began looking for one, and decided that maybe I should try to find an older case, since it would be more period correct and the backplate included with older cases would work fine with this motherboard. And I found someone selling one of these on Craigslist for $15.00:

PgVdDbR.jpg

A MAXTOP Hivemind CSX-917K. It isn't new old stock (though he did have it packed back in the original box, plastic bag and styrofoam included), but it's in near perfect condition. Floppy drive included, only one drive bay cover missing, and other than the extra audio ports, the included backplate is perfect. The one in the image is slightly later, mine doesn't have front USB, but that's fine since the motherboard has no USB header just the two rear ports. There was a very long drive involved, but to me it was worth it.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey