VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29420 of 52673, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a raspberry pi as a router for all my old computers. It lets me do some cool stuff like network booting 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29421 of 52673, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Networking on DOS machines is something I don't know much about. It would be cool to see people's take on it. I really like the idea of using a wifi extender with a passive switch or something to connect all the retro machines in my man cave. 😁

Reply 29422 of 52673, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote:

Networking on DOS machines is something I don't know much about. It would be cool to see people's take on it. I really like the idea of using a wifi extender with a passive switch or something to connect all the retro machines in my man cave. 😁

Yeah, it’s easy once you do it once. You just need the packet driver for your network card.

See how I did it here:
Intel 486dx4-100 vs. AMD 5x86-133 on LS-486 with SB AWE64

For multiple connections you would want something like the Linksys WRT150N DD-WRT Wireless N Router broadband bridge extender.

Or

D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge Access Point Wi-Fi

Reply 29423 of 52673, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought, trade. Same thing right?

I traded a couple of XP Home and Pro SP3 disks for this.

20190708_185422.jpg
Filename
20190708_185422.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File comment
inside
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190708_185352.jpg
Filename
20190708_185352.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File comment
outside
File license

Its a Pentium 166 MMX currently running original Windows 98 with an unknown about of ram or HD size. Cirrus Logic 5424 for video and an unknown Yamaha sound card. Although I am not really interested in the components and will probably sell them. I really wanted it for the case.

The case needs some work. I intend to experiment with some plastic bonding epoxy to stabilize the crack. Once stabilized I will fill it with plastic filler and see how well that works.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 29424 of 52673, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twilliamc wrote:
Bought, trade. Same thing right? […]
Show full quote

Bought, trade. Same thing right?

I traded a couple of XP Home and Pro SP3 disks for this.

20190708_185422.jpg
20190708_185352.jpg

Its a Pentium 166 MMX currently running original Windows 98 with an unknown about of ram or HD size. Cirrus Logic 5424 for video and an unknown Yamaha sound card. Although I am not really interested in the components and will probably sell them. I really wanted it for the case.

The case needs some work. I intend to experiment with some plastic bonding epoxy to stabilize the crack. Once stabilized I will fill it with plastic filler and see how well that works.

Plastic repair epoxy works great.
https://www.jbweld.com/products/plasticweld-syringe

I've also used it to build up stuff to make it stronger after the initial gluing stage. And it isn't that runny when initially applying either. You just need to have the thing you are fixing at the correct angle with possible something underneath it to keep it from oozing out.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29426 of 52673, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received a neat Toshiba Libretto 50CT today with docking station but without pcmcia floppy drive.
I have however somewhere a 110CT that is dead broken (dropped by a previous owner from height and nothing works anymore) with all accessoires so I hope I can use that one.
It also has just 16mb ram, gonna see if the 110ct has some expansion RAM I can use to beef up the 50ct

The 50ct works, but windows 95 is installed in Italian..

So my plans for it are:
- Clean the unit
- Change the original 810mb drive for a Disk on Module of 2GB size.
- Reinstall in English/Dutch
- Upgrade RAM
- Try to find a new pointer tip, since the existing one is worn out.

The battery atleast holds charge, if it is too far gone then I will order a replacement or repair the battery with new cells.

Any tips from other Libretto owners?

Reply 29427 of 52673, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a boxed, complete with manual and advertisement sheet, original Microsoft Sidewinder USB Joystick for $3.00.

It even came with NovaLogics Jetpack (which contains F22 Raptor, F16 MRF, and MiG29 Fulcrum) with its manual.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 29428 of 52673, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Just managed to acquire my first MSX machine. Its a scarce platform where I live, except they had some use in the music scene, and so I present you the Yamaha YIS503FB... It didn't had the illusive SFG-01 module, but no worries, I have 3 of them waiting for a matching machine...

YIS503F_small.jpg
Filename
YIS503F_small.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

Haven't tested yet because its missing the PSU, those bricks (+/-12V & 5V with weird 13 pin DIN connector) are hard to find. Guess I will have to hack my way in. Cant complain really, for 60€ I think it was a steal.

The SFG-01 is a FM synt that uses the YM2151 that was specially intended for those machines and CX5 family.

SFG-01_small.jpg
Filename
SFG-01_small.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license

Waiting for the 13 pin Din to start playing with it.. 😀

Reply 29429 of 52673, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope you have one of the accompanying Yamaha MIDI keyboards, because they won't work with a normal MIDI keyboard:

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Yamaha_SFG-01

Reply 29430 of 52673, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:
Received a neat Toshiba Libretto 50CT today with docking station but without pcmcia floppy drive. I have however somewhere a 110 […]
Show full quote

Received a neat Toshiba Libretto 50CT today with docking station but without pcmcia floppy drive.
I have however somewhere a 110CT that is dead broken (dropped by a previous owner from height and nothing works anymore) with all accessoires so I hope I can use that one.
It also has just 16mb ram, gonna see if the 110ct has some expansion RAM I can use to beef up the 50ct

Those notebooks look soo good, I am a fanatic of old gre notebooks 😈
Here someone wants to sell this on the phot for 450EUROS, They are trying to sell it at least two years

Attachments

• 100609075.jpg
    Filename
    100609075.jpg
    File size
    85.07 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 29431 of 52673, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xicor wrote:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

Just managed to acquire my first MSX machine. Its a scarce platform where I live, except they had some use in the music scene, and so I present you the Yamaha YIS503FB... It didn't had the illusive SFG-01 module, but no worries, I have 3 of them waiting for a matching machine...

YIS503F_small.jpg

Haven't tested yet because its missing the PSU, those bricks (+/-12V & 5V with weird 13 pin DIN connector) are hard to find. Guess I will have to hack my way in. Cant complain really, for 60€ I think it was a steal.

The SFG-01 is a FM synt that uses the YM2151 that was specially intended for those machines and CX5 family.

SFG-01_small.jpg

Waiting for the 13 pin Din to start playing with it.. 😀

Nice score! I have a CX5MII/128 with the SFG-05 (and the bespoke keyboard, and the DX7 editing software on cartridge, and a DX7 (well, TX802) to edit with it.) It's a fun setup!
Love the silver case. Mine is the boring dark grey.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29432 of 52673, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
respect2759 wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:
Received a neat Toshiba Libretto 50CT today with docking station but without pcmcia floppy drive. I have however somewhere a 110 […]
Show full quote

Here someone wants to sell this on the phot for 450EUROS, They are trying to sell it at least two years

They are indeed fantastic looking and very mobile.
And the one you have in the picture is very complete with all docks, floppy, chargers, ram etc but no way somebody will pack €450 euro for it 🤣
What do these kind of sellers smoke?

Reply 29433 of 52673, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:

And the one you have in the picture is very complete with all docks, floppy, chargers, ram etc but no way somebody will pack €450 euro for it 🤣

Its sad but here are only a few collectors and a lot of people who calls themselves collectors but only wants the money. For example I know someone who got some 286 computers for free from a school which had those about 20 years in a classroom never used and he sold 50-100Euro/piece. And these kind of people try to sell a pentium 4 as ultra rare hyper retro super computer for high prices...

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 29434 of 52673, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nvm1 wrote:
They are indeed fantastic looking and very mobile. And the one you have in the picture is very complete with all docks, floppy, […]
Show full quote
respect2759 wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:
Show full quote

It's because it's boxed and there's one of them for sale on ebay right now, not quite the "Adlib Gold" situation, but getting there. In addition, the plastic Toshiba used has become brittle on most of them so finding one that doesn't have broken plastics is quite rare.

The accessories are the real pain to get - I paid more for the port expander than I did for my Libretto 50CT, then I realised it doesn't even have PS/2 ports on it 😊
And the floppy drive, again really specific because the laptop itself has no floppy controller, is also really hard to find now in a working state. Thankfully that drive is at least not belt driven like a real Toshiba floppy drive would be so it started working after some exercise.

Reply 29435 of 52673, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anders- wrote:

Seeing that exact case brought on a trip down nostalgia lane 😀 You wouldn't happen to know the name of the case? It would be helpful when trying to locate it.

Nothing identifying it that I can see. Just a serial number and barcode. Both show nothing in google.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 29436 of 52673, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
jheronimus wrote:
Acer WarpLink. I'm guessing, these are Wi-Fi adapters in the form of PCMCIA and ISA cards? […]
Show full quote

Acer WarpLink. I'm guessing, these are Wi-Fi adapters in the form of PCMCIA and ISA cards?

JgK1QYIm.jpg?1

Probably, but if they are only for long-dead standards.

You'd be surprised... spotted someone selling a pile of Linksys WiFi-g 16b PCMCIA cards. Now WiFi-g is itself 15 years old, but it supports WPA security so (if you can find a supplicant for your vintage OS) you can hook up to a properly secured modern WiFi network.

Was tempted, but seller didn't want to split a large pile of otherwise very uninteresting (PCI 100MbE and WiFi-g stuff mainly) hardware he wanted a bit too much for :'(

Reply 29437 of 52673, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xicor wrote:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

YIS503F_small.jpg

Nice find. You never see that MSX model in my country.

Reply 29438 of 52673, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I have a couple IBM 350 desktops. I really like these newer NON proprietary IBM computers like the Aptiva too. The older IBM PS/ […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:
Finally found an IBM 365 for a half-way reasonable price. […]
Show full quote

Finally found an IBM 365 for a half-way reasonable price.

ebay seller images:
kIIo7LWm.jpg
nDpD2F7m.jpg
m33DBxxm.jpg
MKXYthqm.jpg

I'll know in 7-17 days if the door survives the trip around the world.

I have a couple IBM 350 desktops.
I really like these newer NON proprietary IBM computers like the Aptiva too.
The older IBM PS/2’s are too proprietary hardware. Hard to find and expensive to own.
The Sound cards are ridiculously priced and rare.

I really like the clean and simple look of these IBM computers with the bay door closed.
When the plastic is white and not yellowed they look really nice.
It looks like proprietary hurt IBM like it hurt Apple.

The 1996-1997 models are the best. The earlier 1994-1996 3xx and 7xx series have the fragile plastic enclosure.

Reply 29439 of 52673, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found this beauty on offerup.
came with a build inside. mostly junk though. only wanted the case anyways.
the case cleaned up nicely and is built like a tank.
ANTEC SX835II

Antec.SX835II.jpg
Filename
Antec.SX835II.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license