Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20260 of 52882, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's awesome, ODwilly!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20262 of 52882, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrewreader wrote:

Tongue In Cheek Rant:
I was meant to stop buying old hardware when I put together a PC that could run old DOS games. Then I was meant to stop when I put together a machine that could run old Windows 98 games. Then XP games. Then when I found a replica of my old Dell P90. Then when I found a 486 for sale. And then when the 486 didn't quite work properly, I got a Winchip 180 and motherboard on standby. And then a more complete 486 motherboard. And now this.. 😢 😊 🤣

I believe many members of these forums went that road. I started with laptop for DOS games, so that I would conserve storage space in our small flat. Now, ten laptops and two monitors later I'm having discussion with my wife... 🤣

Reply 20263 of 52882, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

That's awesome, ODwilly!

Thank you local government for holding onto something SO old for so long and thank you friends for keeping an eye out for stuff like this 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 20265 of 52882, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well these didn't bring a lot it seems. The Intel 975XBX is a nice board, I have my Pentium 4 EE 3.73GHz on it, mind you the one on Ebay is missing VRM heatsinks.

Reply 20266 of 52882, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

and just think, all I wanted was the corsair ram dimms....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202119853375

Ha! You're obsessed with those Corsair dimms. How many do you have now? You got a good price on that lot.

Reply 20267 of 52882, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I formally request a new thread and full investigation of this card.

please.

and thank you.

Will do once it's in my hands.
In the meantime, I received this:

magma pci cardbus.jpg
Filename
magma pci cardbus.jpg
File size
41.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Half length PCI enclosure with a Cardbus interface, I'll try it on the most underpowered Cardbus compatible laptop I have, a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT with a Pentium 120MHz and a variety of graphic and 3D acceleration cards...

Last edited by lolo799 on 2017-11-21, 20:53. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 20268 of 52882, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Ha! You're obsessed with those Corsair dimms. How many do you have now? You got a good price on that lot.

I already have a 780i ftw board, and i CANNOT have 2 sticks of one style of ram, and 2 of a different. ALL MUST BE THE SAME!!!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20269 of 52882, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, I had an NF2 that was fussy, an NF3 that was fussier, and a 760i that was extremely fussy, 780i must be like "Foolish mortals, no RAM made on this plane shall work with ME, muhuahahahaaaa." then you have to go looking for mithril plated, unicorn hide stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20270 of 52882, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I already have a 780i ftw board, and i CANNOT have 2 sticks of one style of ram, and 2 of a different. ALL MUST BE THE SAME!!!

What about consecutive serial numbers? It's the nightmare level of obsession that has already struck me 😒

Last edited by hard1k on 2017-11-21, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 20271 of 52882, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote:
Will do once it's in my hands. In the meantime, I recieved this: […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

I formally request a new thread and full investigation of this card.

please.

and thank you.

Will do once it's in my hands.
In the meantime, I recieved this:

magma pci cardbus.jpg

Half length PCI enclosure with a Cardbus interface, I'll try it on the most underpowered Cardbus compatible laptop I have, a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT with a Pentium 120MHz and a variety of graphic and 3D acceleration cards...

That's amazing. I've never seen something like that before. If it didn't cost a lot, I would buy one.

P1004745.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20272 of 52882, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

That's amazing. I've never seen something like that before. If it didn't cost a lot, I would buy one.

The seller had a best offer option, so I sent one thinking he wouldn't accept, like less than half the buy it now price, and he did!
My enclosure is a single half length slot, there are dual (and more) slots available as half or full length too, but way more expensive.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 20273 of 52882, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote:

Heh, I had an NF2 that was fussy, an NF3 that was fussier, and a 760i that was extremely fussy, 780i must be like "Foolish mortals, no RAM made on this plane shall work with ME, muhuahahahaaaa." then you have to go looking for mithril plated, unicorn hide stuff.

i never had luck with Corsair DHX / Dominators when running 4 sticks of 2GB, even on a matched quad-kit of Micron D9 Dominator 1066's.
99% of my boards wouldn't even post or would hang on "Starting Windows" screen. I think the only board that could run those suckers was X48-DQ6 from Gigabyte.

Reply 20274 of 52882, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:
liqmat wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I had a supplier local to me that delt in ram rma's. They cleard out all their older stuff an I got Corsair ram like that for about 1-2$ a stick.

The kicker was that I had to buy like 500 sticks at a time. Still I made a lot of money out of the deal.

Reply 20275 of 52882, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Those MAGMA expansion systems are quite frequent on eBay actually.
There are quite a few different components available: the host cards in PCI and Cardbus formats (while PCI have two different external connectors thus needing different proprietary cables), the expansion cards are either PCI or integrated into the expansion "motherboard", the actual expansion case varies from the one shown here (half-length 1 slot) to full-length 2/7/13 slots. Yes, they are quite fun to play with, especially the 2 slot model (lets you install a V2 SLI for your Cardbus notebook) and the monster 13-slot in a Q3D-like black industrial rackmount chassis (never could fill it up completely).
In case you want one of those, just keep an eye on the eBay listings for "magma pci" and "pci expansion chassis", and you'll surely get your beauty for cheap in half a year or so.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 20276 of 52882, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:
Those MAGMA expansion systems are quite frequent on eBay actually. There are quite a few different components available: the hos […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

Those MAGMA expansion systems are quite frequent on eBay actually.
There are quite a few different components available: the host cards in PCI and Cardbus formats (while PCI have two different external connectors thus needing different proprietary cables), the expansion cards are either PCI or integrated into the expansion "motherboard", the actual expansion case varies from the one shown here (half-length 1 slot) to full-length 2/7/13 slots. Yes, they are quite fun to play with, especially the 2 slot model (lets you install a V2 SLI for your Cardbus notebook) and the monster 13-slot in a Q3D-like black industrial rackmount chassis (never could fill it up completely).
In case you want one of those, just keep an eye on the eBay listings for "magma pci" and "pci expansion chassis", and you'll surely get your beauty for cheap in half a year or so.

I'm planning on purchasing something like that in the future for my HP Pavilion N3350 for games and stuff with my VooDoo2 card and S3 Virge/VX card as well since the Trident GPU is shitty (picture is stretched).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20277 of 52882, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just keep in mind that you'll need an external display - no way to feed the video signal back into the notebook without modding it quite heavily.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 20278 of 52882, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: however a PowerVR accelerator could do the job to some extent.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 20279 of 52882, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get a boxed one, both of the good games came in the box 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.