Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26901 of 52694, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

Do you have the SGI monitor that goes with that card?

Not anymore. That was another victim of my great 2008 'move to a tiny apartment in the big city' purge. I had the 1600SW AGP and I had an SGI O2...

Fortunately they crop up every now and again, and generally at pretty affordable prices, as unless you have an O2 or one of three cards (this one or a 3DLabs OxygenVX, or the rebranded Mac version of the VX) they are a useless hunk of grey plastic.

Reply 26903 of 52694, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

The heat-pipes that block the pci-e slot are causing me stress. It is really cool though.

The case doesn't have any openings for anything you might want to stick in the PCIe slot, so not really an issue. If you want to hack new openings, you might as well use a PCIe ribbon cable. In fact I might just do that for WiFi connectivity...

Reply 26904 of 52694, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Libretto 110CT came in today. Supposedly it was dead according to the sale, but it works great. No dead pixels, and even the original hard drive works, haha.

JTXl9PN.jpg

8ObnzgV.jpg

2aMvU7i.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 26905 of 52694, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Had no idea you were a game developer and that was your game. I would love a couple of copies! I thought you picked those up thrifting. Xjas... man of mystery!

L0L, calling me a game dev is like calling some knucklehead doing donuts in a car park a racing driver. I did everything as wrong as I could, and it's lucky no one got killed in the process, but I sure had fun doing it. 😜

TBH the game was really just a tech demo / proof of concept thing to see if I could drive my VFX1 with some simple code; after I had the parallaxing playfield the rest just sort of mutated into existence. I like how it turned out though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26907 of 52694, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Traded this piece today for an old defect mobile phone I still had..

9800GTX MSI PCIe.jpg
Filename
9800GTX MSI PCIe.jpg
File size
678.87 KiB
Views
File comment
9800GTX
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Will have to chech if all the TIM etc are ok but she looks good! 😀

Reply 26909 of 52694, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Had no idea you were a game developer and that was your game. I would love a couple of copies! I thought you picked those up thrifting. Xjas... man of mystery!

L0L, calling me a game dev is like calling some knucklehead doing donuts in a car park a racing driver. I did everything as wrong as I could, and it's lucky no one got killed in the process, but I sure had fun doing it. 😜

TBH the game was really just a tech demo / proof of concept thing to see if I could drive my VFX1 with some simple code; after I had the parallaxing playfield the rest just sort of mutated into existence. I like how it turned out though.

OK goddamn, I almost missed this. That looks like the bees knees!

I have several questions, and here's one of them: I always assumed the Rift needed some late-windows-only API/driver/yada-yada to operate; how does it interface with DOS?
Although, from the screenshots it looks like there is no head-tracking, so are both headsets just used as a stereoscopic headmounted display? Cool beans regardless!

Reply 26910 of 52694, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:

OK goddamn, I almost missed this. That looks like the bees knees!

I have several questions, and here's one of them: I always assumed the Rift needed some late-windows-only API/driver/yada-yada to operate; how does it interface with DOS?
Although, from the screenshots it looks like there is no head-tracking, so are both headsets just used as a stereoscopic headmounted display? Cool beans regardless!

The Rift DK1 at least, just acts like a monitor via DVI or HDMI. You can even connect it to a DOS PC and it'll work like any other monitor (including showing text modes, POST, etc. - tested this on a GF2 with DVI) but good luck navigating the command prompt with one eye. 😜 The Rift DK2 & CV1 connect to the PC differently, and I don't know if it's possible to directly mirror the display onto them, but an HTC Vive and PSVR headset should both work. If I get my hands on either one I'll add official support.

The Forte VFX1 actually needed more of a "driver" (13 bytes of machine code provided by a friend in my demoscene group) to set it in the right stereo mode. Head tracking would be possible with some low-level USB code, but that was way beyond the scope of this project (or my abilities.)

If you're running on a modern OS (either using one of the native ports or DOSBox) you can just maximize the game onto your headset and play it. Stereo geometry is adjustable in-game with hotkeys. All my available floppies are spoken for, but it's a free download from the official site so feel free to give it a go. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26911 of 52694, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. I never had intention of getting into pre-486 x86 stuff but a seller I bought from once messaged me with photos of new stuff he got hands on, and one of them was a Baby AT 386 motherboard with an AMD chip on it.. I bit.. Along with that I also got an Acer ISA IO controller, a PCI Virge/GX and 4 sticks of 256K 30pin SIMMs (not that I absolutely needed it but I think they came with the motherboard so I didn't want to risk my 1MB SIMMs not working on it). He also has on offer an ESS Audiodrive ISA sound card and a CL-GD5401 ISA VGA, I passed on those as I have enough of both..

The 386 motherboard has a Varta barrel battery, but battery damage I can't assess from the crappy potato phone photos, we will have to see..

Unknown 386 Motherboard.jpeg
Filename
Unknown 386 Motherboard.jpeg
File size
158.52 KiB
Views
File license

I'll post photos once I get them in the mail.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-01-24, 00:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26912 of 52694, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's definitely fun to be had with a 386 if the battery hasn't killed it - they're a lot easier to work with than a 486 in my experience. In saying that mine rarely sees the light of day - it seems to fall b/w the cracks of my 286, which I used to mess around with CGA era stuff, and my 486, which is great for pre-DOOM era VGA.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 26913 of 52694, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that's the issue.. I already have a Pentium 133 for late DOS stuff and a 486 system that alternates between being a U5SX-33 and a i486DX2-66 (I can't seem to decide) for older DOS stuff, I don't see this system seeing much use for anything other than playing Wing Commander 1 & 2 but the price was so cheap I just had to buy it.. The 286 is totally out of my interest, I have an A500 for that time period.

I added seller's photo of the board above, by the way. Anyone know what model it is and if it's any good?

Reply 26914 of 52694, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received some storage in the mail!

cfcards.png
Filename
cfcards.png
File size
686.99 KiB
Views
File license
CF_IDE.png
Filename
CF_IDE.png
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

I've been used a 32MB CF card I had kicking around for my not-quite-a-486 486DLC pc

Reply 26915 of 52694, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Yeah, that's the issue.. I already have a Pentium 133 for late DOS stuff and a 486 system that alternates between being a U5SX-33 and a i486DX2-66 (I can't seem to decide) for older DOS stuff, I don't see this system seeing much use for anything other than playing Wing Commander 1 & 2 but the price was so cheap I just had to buy it.. The 286 is totally out of my interest, I have an A500 for that time period.

I added seller's photo of the board above, by the way. Anyone know what model it is and if it's any good?

If it is a 386-DX40 with cache (it looks like one), then it would make a good permanent replacement for the 486-SX33, so you wouldn't have to swap chips in the 486.

Reply 26916 of 52694, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't get this today, but it did come in a lot of "scrap" I received sometime before Christmas.

An AST ISA Riser with an ESS 1868F sound card built on. I didn't know I had the accompanying breakout board that goes with it but I found it a few minutes later while sorting through stuff. Too bad that the scrapper removed the slot bracket.

Just thought it was kinda cool to have an ISA riser with a built on sound card.

AST_ISA_RISER_WITH_ESS_SOUND_scaled.JPG
Filename
AST_ISA_RISER_WITH_ESS_SOUND_scaled.JPG
File size
685.57 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26917 of 52694, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice riser. I'm sure you can find a sound card bracket that will fit the breakout board.

Speaking of risers.. The guy that sold me the 386 seems to have a Socket 7 motherboard and riser as well. Not sure what computer this one is from, and I sure don't have a horizontal AT/ATX case to house this in so I turned it down but is there anything special about this? Anyone know what it's from?

4344FE74-472B-43D1-85FB-B8C61AC473CA.jpeg
Filename
4344FE74-472B-43D1-85FB-B8C61AC473CA.jpeg
File size
260.9 KiB
Views
File license
56FDC040-C8B5-4B11-A29D-BD0ACBE0C654.jpeg
Filename
56FDC040-C8B5-4B11-A29D-BD0ACBE0C654.jpeg
File size
92.14 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT: Ooh the seller sent me closeup photos of the board after dusting it, it looks clean as a whistle! Amazing!

E39B33F8-17EB-4CFA-B92C-A0FED1C1E0B0.jpeg
Filename
E39B33F8-17EB-4CFA-B92C-A0FED1C1E0B0.jpeg
File size
199.71 KiB
Views
File license
C36049E6-114E-4BAA-B66B-43BB903BBB21.jpeg
Filename
C36049E6-114E-4BAA-B66B-43BB903BBB21.jpeg
File size
185.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 26919 of 52694, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

R46 and L5 look like they have some corrosion on their traces.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4