VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20200 of 52684, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From a kringloopwinkel you mean? 😊
I went to those for years but stopped after they started putting all the money in their own pockets, sadly. Going to Beverwijk tomorrow, probably nothing interesting to see but at least the food is decent, I saw an old Compaq Armada laptop there a month ago for €5 but passed on it as it had no power adapter and these might be a b....ch to find (voltages like 18,5 or 19,5V).

Reply 20201 of 52684, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:
xeon3d wrote:

Tip: It's a very rare graphic card 😀

Not a WORKING Gigabyte card???!!!

(Gigabytch as I like to call them have not been kind to me over the years. 😁 )

I have quite a few gigabyte cards in my collection - all working.

Reply 20202 of 52684, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martin939 wrote:

From a kringloopwinkel you mean? 😊
I went to those for years but stopped after they started putting all the money in their own pockets, sadly. Going to Beverwijk tomorrow, probably nothing interesting to see but at least the food is decent, I saw an old Compaq Armada laptop there a month ago for €5 but passed on it as it had no power adapter and these might be a b....ch to find (voltages like 18,5 or 19,5V).

Ah, that's in my area! Going to Noppes? Looking for something specific? They have their cables there pretty wel sorted.

1982 to 2001

Reply 20203 of 52684, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:
Bought this WD 80 GB drive, which finally accepted Windows 98 as its companion :) I already had the same one, but with SATA inte […]
Show full quote

Bought this WD 80 GB drive, which finally accepted Windows 98 as its companion 😀 I already had the same one, but with SATA interface, and that just wouldn't work at all (installation hang at the end).

WD800_PATA.jpg

JBs with 8MB cache were always the nicest.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 20205 of 52684, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

JBs with 8MB cache were always the nicest.

Yah, 2 in RAID 0 will pretty much saturate an ATA-133 bus, so performance doesn't get any better for PATA machines, well apart from latency and seek time slowdowns, but the larger cache takes the sting out of that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20206 of 52684, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

hell there's even a Deathstar around somewhere that's still apparently all good and working

Not all IBM Deskstar drives suck. AFAIK only the ones manufactured during a relatively short period around 1999-2000. The later, larger drives work entirely fine.

Right, the later Hitachis were some cheap/fast/good unicorns, I have ones of those too, but the one I was referring to was definitely in the ballpark, because it's a 30GB, so too bigs to be much earlier, too small to be much later. I will check the exact dates on it when it resurfaces.

Can't for the life of me figure why Hitachi bought the business and kept the model name, that's like starting a whole new submarine sandwich chain and getting Jared Fogle as your spokesman when he gets out of prison.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20207 of 52684, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Formulator wrote:

NIB Video 7 VEGA VGA

You lost me when you removed the shrink wrap and opened it. NIB adds to the value, but only if sealed 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20208 of 52684, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:
xeon3d wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here... See if you can guess what it is just from the cooler ... […]
Show full quote

I'm just going to leave this here... See if you can guess what it is just from the cooler ...

When someone finds out what it is, i'll post more pictures and maybe tell you how much I paid for it...

67XaMtel.jpg

Now test it please.
It came bundle with a Gigabyte motherboard and according to the manual one is required. I've also seen it for sale but the motherboard requirement made me skip it.

Video of the thing: https://youtu.be/i4UGG4FrVeI

Reply 20209 of 52684, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martin939 wrote:

I saw an old Compaq Armada laptop there a month ago for €5 but passed on it as it had no power adapter and these might be a b....ch to find (voltages like 18,5 or 19,5V).

You don't have to be all that exact on voltage for most laptops. Some will even run off 12V but not charge battery. One of those Targus universal supplies will pretty much run everything up to modern era where they start having coded PSUs. Only caveat is, watts, if it wants a 95W supply, expect it to blow up a 65W one.

Reply 20211 of 52684, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xeon3d wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:
xeon3d wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here... See if you can guess what it is just from the cooler ... […]
Show full quote

I'm just going to leave this here... See if you can guess what it is just from the cooler ...

When someone finds out what it is, i'll post more pictures and maybe tell you how much I paid for it...

67XaMtel.jpg

Now test it please.
It came bundle with a Gigabyte motherboard and according to the manual one is required. I've also seen it for sale but the motherboard requirement made me skip it.

Video of the thing: https://youtu.be/i4UGG4FrVeI

3D1 is a dual 6600GT right? I've looked for one before but never found it. I guess there more rare than I expected.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20212 of 52684, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is missing the metal shroud.

JBxlrq3h.jpg

Here's a pic of the card w/o it's cooler:

nO1flT7h.jpg

It seems to work in any gigabyte nforce 4 SLi motherboard.

Reply 20213 of 52684, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740.

https://i.imgur.com/LlqcHmvl.jpg

I like how closely the cooler resembles their CPUs' stock coolers.

Reply 20214 of 52684, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Mine is missing the metal shroud. […]
Show full quote

Mine is missing the metal shroud.

JBxlrq3h.jpg

Here's a pic of the card w/o it's cooler:

nO1flT7h.jpg

It seems to work in any gigabyte nforce 4 SLi motherboard.

Is it actually limited to gigabyte boards or is it the SLI chipset that's important ?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20215 of 52684, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740. […]
Show full quote

LlqcHmvl.jpg

Oh wow, that's really interesting! I have a couple of i740s and neither have fans, let alone unique looking "Intel" fans. I don't recall ever hearing about an "overclocked" model of the i740, so I'm not sure why anyone would have added beefier cooling.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20216 of 52684, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
dexvx wrote:
I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740. […]
Show full quote

LlqcHmvl.jpg

Oh wow, that's really interesting! I have a couple of i740s and neither have fans, let alone unique looking "Intel" fans. I don't recall ever hearing about an "overclocked" model of the i740, so I'm not sure why anyone would have added beefier cooling.

I had one exactly like this, so maybe Intel went the extra mile with these. All other I saw without fan were from other brands.

Reply 20217 of 52684, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Pretty much what I was thinking also, they put that chip on motherboards without even a heatsink on it also. Just wondering if marketing made them put it on to make the card look more powerful 🤣... BUT it could be the i750 which was supposed to be a tad faster, they're rarer than the i740s.

Reply 20218 of 52684, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Pretty much what I was thinking also, they put that chip on motherboards without even a heatsink on it also. Just wondering if marketing made them put it on to make the card look more powerful 🤣... BUT it could be the i750 which was supposed to be a tad faster, they're rarer than the i740s.

I was just reading about these and that is a standard i740. The i752 is apparently very rare... I don't know if they were even sold at retail or to OEMs.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20219 of 52684, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it does seem to have that Deskpro compatible missing bottom corner and high VGA socket.