Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15980 of 52879, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zerker wrote:

Well, I haven't personally used a Model M since the 90s, so I can't provide my own comparisons. Better than any keyboard I've used recently, however. I recently picked up a Matias Quiet Pro keyboard, which I THOUGHT would be a great modern keyboard. One RMA later and I STILL have issues with duplicate key on that thing.

I'm debating between getting another RMA or just using it for spare keycaps and microswitches for this Dell one.

I GOT ONE WITH A BROKEN CAPS LOCK KEY, THE LIGHT WON'T STAY ON TELLING YOU WHEN YOU'VE TURNED ON CAPS LOCK. .....oh

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 15981 of 52879, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlang wrote:

Model M is so overrated. just because it doesn't break doesn't mean it's the ultimate keyboard...

Choice of keyboard is kind of like choice of underwear -- highly personal. Having said that, I love the feel of buckling springs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15982 of 52879, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Model M is godly. I pray night and day for a bargain find. It was my first keyboard. Amazing typing..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15983 of 52879, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

White complex alps are better. Very hard and loud. Perfect for bugging those around you. Including the typer as the keys will eventually get stuck 😒

Reply 15984 of 52879, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Model M is godly. I pray night and day for a bargain find. It was my first keyboard. Amazing typing..

I'm probably going to get killed by another vogoner for saying this but my all time favorite is some (presumably cheaply made) Acer Multimedia keyboard i found at a yard sale like 7 years ago for 2 dollars. I hit my fastest typing with this thing and its the only thing I can currently tolerate for modern competitive PC gaming.

NewAcerUSBMulitMediaKBBody.jpg

Mines currently missing most of its multimedia keys (and the playbutton is jammed) and 3 or 4 keys are missing (all the vitals are there. The worst is the fact that my tab button currently has the home buttons keycap on it) from me getting angry (and once throwing it at someone) and punching it or something. The essentials are there and tbh I'm planning to buy another of this model soon.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15985 of 52879, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
I'm probably going to get killed by another vogoner for saying this but my all time favorite is some (presumably cheaply made) A […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

I'm probably going to get killed by another vogoner for saying this but my all time favorite is some (presumably cheaply made) Acer Multimedia keyboard i found at a yard sale like 7 years ago for 2 dollars. I hit my fastest typing with this thing and its the only thing I can currently tolerate for modern competitive PC gaming.

NewAcerUSBMulitMediaKBBody.jpg

Mines currently missing most of its multimedia keys (and the playbutton is jammed) and 3 or 4 keys are missing (all the vitals are there. The worst is the fact that my tab button currently has the home buttons keycap on it) from me getting angry (and once throwing it at someone) and punching it or something. The essentials are there and tbh I'm planning to buy another of this model soon.

I've been using an RT7D20 Dell keyboard for years now and I've always liked these more than the very old (and stiff) IBM keyboards.

They still do seem to make a lot of noise (even though I think they aren't very loud) since even when on TS everyone can still hear me type 🤣!

Mine was €2 and bought several of them like over 10 years ago 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15986 of 52879, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
zerker wrote:

Well, I haven't personally used a Model M since the 90s, so I can't provide my own comparisons. Better than any keyboard I've used recently, however. I recently picked up a Matias Quiet Pro keyboard, which I THOUGHT would be a great modern keyboard. One RMA later and I STILL have issues with duplicate key on that thing.

I'm debating between getting another RMA or just using it for spare keycaps and microswitches for this Dell one.

I GOT ONE WITH A BROKEN CAPS LOCK KEY, THE LIGHT WON'T STAY ON TELLING YOU WHEN YOU'VE TURNED ON CAPS LOCK. .....oh

I had the same problem with my Model M - but I made to fix this issue. The reason for this is that the contacts on the ribbon connector terminals oxidize with time. You might just try to clean them. In my case this worked and my CAPS LOCK light is back.

Reply 15987 of 52879, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the feel of old key's with springs and those alike. I just hate the sea of clicking noise.
Model-M the best? Not so much if you ask me. Preferances differ though, as said in this tread.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15988 of 52879, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well,

I love Model M as in my opinion no other keyboard better invokes the atmosphere of those days long past. But again, I'm a 386-485 guy and this might not be so for someone starting from Pentium or Pentium II. My cousing had one and we used it for playing UGH!, Prehistorik, etc. And this is just enough to make it the best keyboard ever. For me.

Actually, that's the same reason why I prefer PC Speaker sound and music. It's just so "mine own".

I love the weight, the strudiness and the overall quality. There are some issues, of course - like these oxidizing contacts, some spacebar issues (mine is kina rough on the sides), but I don't care 😀 Have two of them and will keep them, as they're essential for my idea of going retro.

Reply 15989 of 52879, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone had earlier asked for detailed photos of a Tualatin cooler, well here are mine of the Tualatin Celeron 1300Mhz. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Cooler4.jpg
    Filename
    Cooler4.jpg
    File size
    411.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Cooler3.jpg
    Filename
    Cooler3.jpg
    File size
    416.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Cooler2.jpg
    Filename
    Cooler2.jpg
    File size
    438.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Cooler1.jpg
    Filename
    Cooler1.jpg
    File size
    425.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15990 of 52879, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haz a box!

The Slot-1 CPU is only there to show the size of the box but it kind of backfired as the perspective makes the box look smaller.

I haz a box!.jpg
Filename
I haz a box!.jpg
File size
379.32 KiB
Views
File license

In the box we find something wrapped in paper!

In the box we find something wrapped in paper.jpg
Filename
In the box we find something wrapped in paper.jpg
File size
347.82 KiB
Views
File license

In the paper we find... wrapping-paper!

In the paper we find...      wrapping-paper .jpg
Filename
In the paper we find... wrapping-paper .jpg
File size
381.09 KiB
Views
File license

I'm skipping a few steps here or this would become rather silly! (4 pics per post).

In the bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find... more bubble wrap!

In the bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find... more bubble wrap.jpg
Filename
In the bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find... more bubble wrap.jpg
File size
359.3 KiB
Views
File license

What will we find when we dig deeper? How many layers do this Matryoshka doll have?

Stay tuned and you will all soon find out!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 15992 of 52879, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Why is that?
I'm not a big gamer, but I never had a problem with a model F I used to own when playing games. Now old complex white alps suck for playing games as they tend to get sticky.

Reply 15993 of 52879, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am still waiting for Skyscraper's unwrapping 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15994 of 52879, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Choice of keyboard is kind of like choice of underwear -- highly personal. Having said that, I love the feel of buckling springs.

I could not find a google image that matched what I pictured in my mind. Dangit.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15995 of 52879, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schlang wrote:

Model M is so overrated. just because it doesn't break doesn't mean it's the ultimate keyboard...

People fapped to the Model M because for a while it was plentiful and dirt cheap, after the hype they are not so cheap online. As for me I am using a $1 Dell AT101W.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15996 of 52879, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have eaten now, lets do this!

Inside the bubble wrap inside of more bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find some aluminium foil

Inside the bubble wrap inside of more bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find some aluminium foil.jpg
Filename
Inside the bubble wrap inside of more bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find some aluminium foil.jpg
File size
442.88 KiB
Views
File license

I'm skipping another step here as I need two image slots for the next exciting Ebay adventure.

In the paper inside the aluminium foil inside the bubble wrap inside of more bubble wrap inside the wrapping-paper inside the paper inside the box we find... A CPU! (In fact two in fact as there were two small foil packages).

Aaaaaand that's why Ebay shipping is so expensive!

These are two Barton XP-M 2500+ 1.45V CPUs. 😀

The next adventure is even more exciting!

I won this CPU lot with an opening bid of £20! The auction had been in my watch list for agas and no one seemed interested but for some reason I took a closer look and then decided to bid eventhough the shipping cost was pretty steep as you can see.

The CPU lot I won with an opening bid..jpg
Filename
The CPU lot I won with an opening bid..jpg
File size
342.59 KiB
Views
File license

Here is the sellers picture showing the gods (this was the only picture). Use your resize, enhance and sharpen skills to see if you can spot the mismatch in the auction text when compared to the CPUs in the picture.

The sellers full size image showing the lot (it was the only image .jpg
Filename
The sellers full size image showing the lot (it was the only image .jpg
File size
263.46 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-02-27, 19:44. Edited 7 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 15997 of 52879, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DEC Powerstorm 4D50T (MSMT406) aka underclocked Intergraph RealiZm Z13 sold for DEC workstations. But finally have texture memory modules (16MB) for mine RealiZm Z13 and RealiZm II ZX13.

0Yb73ce.jpg

G2jmuy0.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 15998 of 52879, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SK-8135.jpg

Personally, I love these dell keyboards. Nice to type on and they have a nice set of media controls with a volume knob. I pick them up when I see them at goodwill. They used to be plentiful, but not as much now. Only problem is the usb ports are absolutely useless for thumb drives, and i'm hesitant to use a wacom tablet on one.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 15999 of 52879, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
http://www.dengler.net/SK-8135/SK-8135.jpg […]
Show full quote

SK-8135.jpg

Personally, I love these dell keyboards. Nice to type on and they have a nice set of media controls with a volume knob. I pick them up when I see them at goodwill. They used to be plentiful, but not as much now. Only problem is the usb ports are absolutely useless for thumb drives, and i'm hesitant to use a wacom tablet on one.

Those were my favorite of the modern Dell keyboards for a long time, have one in one of my offices at work for diagnosing issues with computers there actually, except the knob is missing (the common problem with these). I used to deploy these things new for Boeing back in 2007-2011 (Dell tech). However, there were some versions of these that I disliked, they were the earlier ones, they were too springy for me.

TBH though, I prefer clicky keyboards myself, I have a Monterey K104 for my 286, and my 486 uses a Chicony XT/AT Switchable 5161 with Alps Keyswitches. I love alps more than buckling spring Model M's, but my #1 favorite was the Northgate OmniKey 102 with the function keys down the side as I use the function keys a lot. I wish I still had the OmniKey but it got destroyed in moving.....hope to find another one or a OmniKey Ultra someday for a price under $200, RE-PC has one in Seattle for $75-100ish, but I'm not sure about paying $100 for that keyboard.

Monterey K104
$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Chicony 5161 XT/AT Switchable
chicony_xt-at_front.jpg

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/