Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24800 of 52766, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nprod wrote:

It's a PCChips M571 and it really can't go below 2.5V, at least my revision which is 3.2. The 3.2A and 7.0 ones can do it. The motherboard is pretty well documented. I doubt the regulator would overheat as it's designed to go that low. Rather it's the CPU that should run hotter as i'd essentially be "overclocking" it. Other than that i could look for an AHX variant that's meant for 2.4V. They're not hard to come by, but when you look for a very specific model your option is usually eBay where the prices are heavily inflated.

I think the 2.2v and 2.4v cores are basically the same cores, but the 2.4v one could be expected to have been binned lower, or had more problems clocking up to 400MHz.
I don't expect a 2.4v 400MHz K6-II to be better heat resistant then a 2.2v 400MHz K6-II.
The models for K6-II aren't really that important I think? Or at least not compared to ratings like CPU voltage (usually lower is better when using same core) and frequency (more MHz is better, obviously).
These CPUs are unlocked, so the faster ones are typically better.

Some collectors may want specific models, but when inside a rig the print don't matter 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24801 of 52766, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 2.2v ones will generally clock higher than the 2.4v ones.

2.5v is just fine for either as long as you have a decent cooler.

When overclocking them back in the day, I had a K6-II 550 running at 660 on an ASUS P5A. Not sure what I had the voltage set at but it ran super hot. I had a large fan pointing at it to keep it cool enough to be stable in addition to the fan on the nice large CPU heatsink.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24802 of 52766, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

For lower resolutions, CRTs are pretty awesome, especially a Trinitron/Diamondtron screen.
I used to have the earlier model, the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 - awesome monitor but it was heavy my desk was bowed in the middle from it. That weighs somewhere around 30kgs if I remember correctly?

Yeah it's so heavy. Not surprised it bent a desk!

And yep, for low resolutions CRTs just can't be beat. DOOMs UI looks so lovely on it.

Reply 24803 of 52766, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scored this little beauty today from a very kind person who offered it for free on the local classifieds. It fired right up & everything works except the 3.5" drive. Its 40MB Miniscribe purrs like factory fresh, the mouse has some of the smoothest movement I've seen from a ball mouse this old, and even the CMOS battery was still holding charge, although it was showing signs of encroaching nastiness & has since been removed. I don't have time to do a big write-up yet but I'll make a thread sooner or later.

beauty.jpg
Filename
beauty.jpg
File size
191.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It didn't come with this minty boxed copy of Lemmings, but I haven't posted about that yet & figured this was a good place to show it off too. 😜

lems.jpg
Filename
lems.jpg
File size
264.98 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24804 of 52766, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nprod wrote:

It's a PCChips M571

There are unofficial "J1" updates for some revisions of this board.
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/techpage/html/m1.html

Good baseline information:
http://m571.com/m571/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24805 of 52766, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if it's retro or not. But, on my thrifting adventures, I purchased a CBW Diplomat machine (never heard of it before) for $12.45 + tax (50%). The board that's in there has a marking of KM266PRO-MLV, the caps are in great shape, has 128MB RAM, 40GB HDD 52x32x52x CD-Burner, no floppy drive (will install one), has a 350W PSU, 56k Modem, and an AMD Sempron SDA2200 (Sempron 2200+, which is 1.5GHz) CPU. I don't think that's a bad price for it. Almost purchased a Yamaha PSS-480 keyboard, but I passed it (one key is broken, but, I put it back in place in case someone wants to buy it) since I have a collection of Yamaha keyboards. Also purchased a Color TV/Radio/Alarm clock at another thrift store (guessing from the 1980's) for $7.99 + tax.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24806 of 52766, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TECHNICALLY I did not BUY these parts, but I did meatup in an empty parking lot with a dude from craigslist to get these parts for free:

The whole reason I drove across town:
yiOGGV9m.jpg

It is a 1ghz VIA mini ITX motherboard. Came with a Car atx power supply, and 512mb of ram. I just tried to get her to post and one of the caps decided to explode like a firecracker. Thankfully I was wearing my brown pants. It still works, but obviously it will need a re-cap. I'm going to make this into a low-power router for my older systems. I need to finger out if I can get 2 pci cards into one slot, and a chassis to accommodate that. I hope to find a token ring & ethernet combo card, but I'm certain such an unholy abomination does not exist so I will need to do something else.

Icing on the cake: Asus P5NE-SLI
6s49EbJm.jpg

I don't even want it, but the price was right. Might just check it for errors and put it on ebay. Came with a C2D E8500 too. I don't know if it will post without that little card, but I suppose I will find out.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24807 of 52766, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Not sure if it's retro or not. But, on my thrifting adventures, I purchased a CBW Diplomat machine (never heard of it before) for $12.45 + tax (50%). The board that's in there has a marking of KM266PRO-MLV, the caps are in great shape, has 128MB RAM, 40GB HDD 52x32x52x CD-Burner, no floppy drive (will install one), has a 350W PSU, 56k Modem, and an AMD Sempron SDA2200 (Sempron 2200+, which is 1.5GHz) CPU. I don't think that's a bad price for it. Almost purchased a Yamaha PSS-480 keyboard, but I passed it (one key is broken, but, I put it back in place in case someone wants to buy it) since I have a collection of Yamaha keyboards. Also purchased a Color TV/Radio/Alarm clock at another thrift store (guessing from the 1980's) for $7.99 + tax.

To me, anything pre 64-bit is retro. Although I do collect newer stuff as well, and I'm not a period correct fanatic (I like everything maxed out, just like my newer kit).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24808 of 52766, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Almost purchased a Yamaha PSS-480 keyboard, but I passed it (one key is broken, but, I put it back in place in case someone wants to buy it) since I have a collection of Yamaha keyboards.

Well, maybe you should go back for the Yamaha:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php? … 441&postcount=6

Reply 24810 of 52766, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
There are unofficial "J1" updates for some revisions of this board. http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/techpage/html/m1.html […]
Show full quote
Nprod wrote:

It's a PCChips M571

There are unofficial "J1" updates for some revisions of this board.
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/techpage/html/m1.html

Good baseline information:
http://m571.com/m571/

Hey thanks for that first link, there's some pretty good info in there! It says " Don't bother with AMD K6, K6-2, or K6-III CPUs." for the 1997 BIOS that's currently on there. It even mentions that the board can be modified to use 2.2V by soldering a resistor close to one of the jumpers. Now i'm curious if a K6-3 will work...

Reply 24811 of 52766, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matrox G200 PCI. No need to post pictures, everyone knows what they look like. Not very exciting I know but I hope to use it to troubleshoot a motherboard I'm working on as reportedly they are one of the few video cards that doesn't have major issues in that system. FWIW I tried a G450 PCI and it didn't work correctly.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24812 of 52766, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to try an Asus K7V133 mobo, Athlon 1.2GHz with 266MHz FSB processor, and DDR RAM for a 98SE '00 build. The listing advertised K7V133 with a 1.2GHz Athlon and 512MB RAM.

Was this another intentionally-ambiguous listing, feigning ignorance to fuel dreams of a diamond in the rough? Let's find out:

dscn5483apwcue.jpg
It's revision 1.4, although I knew that before buying it. I'm not sure how 1.4 compares to 1.5, the latter of which seems to be more common. All the caps looks good, although the largest silver cap in the upper-right corner looks like a replacement. Uh oh, how much was a previous owner messing with this board? The fan looks suspiciously new and free of dust, although it does appear to match the original stock fan. Site note: at this point, I realized I confused the K7V (KT133) with the the K7V133 (KT133A). The former is supposed to have a passive chipset cooler, while the latter came with a fan. Still, the PCB and chipset both give manufacturing dates from week 51 of 2000, so this might still be period correct for 2000.

dscn5484auhiby.jpg
PC133 SDRAM, not DDR. This is not looking good.

dscn5485ad0e4r.jpg
HSF is from Thermalfake, and the yellow paste is looks like it was from a thermal pad. The paste is also rock hard. This deal is getting worse all the time.

dscn5486a87edo.jpg
Woah! Surprisingly, it's a 1200C, model A1200AMS3C, with the 133(X2) FSB that I was looking for. At the rate things were going, I would have bet money that it'd be a 1200B, model A1200AMS3B, with the 100(x2) FSB. I haven't seen any 1200C chips in the month I've been looking, so if the CPU works, this will have been worth it.

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 24813 of 52766, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why were you expecting to have DDR memory? Neither the KT133 nor the KT133A support DDR. And the 3 memory sockets should tell the story.
KT266 was the first VIA chipset (for AMD) to support DDR.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24814 of 52766, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Scored this little beauty today from a very kind person who offered it for free on the local classifieds. It fired right up & everything works except the 3.5" drive. Its 40MB Miniscribe purrs like factory fresh, the mouse has some of the smoothest movement I've seen from a ball mouse this old, and even the CMOS battery was still holding charge, although it was showing signs of encroaching nastiness & has since been removed. I don't have time to do a big write-up yet but I'll make a thread sooner or later.

Looks very clean! Looking forward to having more details on the system when you make your thread about it.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 24815 of 52766, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stamasd wrote:

Why were you expecting to have DDR memory? Neither the KT133 nor the KT133A support DDR. And the 3 memory sockets should tell the story.
KT266 was the first VIA chipset (for AMD) to support DDR.

Doh! I certainly mixed up my timelines. Hopefully I can find an AMD 760-based board with DDR from 2000, then. As for the number of DIMM slots and DDR, it's not a guarantee, despite the way an optimal configuration of DDR works. I did notice some three-slot DDR boards after a short search.

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 24816 of 52766, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sketchus wrote:
Picked this up a few days ago: […]
Show full quote

Picked this up a few days ago:

6z06tvY.jpg

It's an Iiyama Visionmaster 455. Spotless condition and from what I gather low usage. Still getting used to the OSD.

I had sort of written off getting a CRT monitor again because I had sort of settled on LCDs being good enough. That said, its crazy how much better CRTs scale with lower resolutions. 800x600 looks fantastic on this thing.

Someone is giving away the exact same model for free in my local classifieds, I'm really tempted to pick it up but I already have a CRT I can't really use because I have no space 😢

Edit: Ah not the exact same but it's a Vision Master Pro.

Reply 24817 of 52766, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this today. Colorgraphic Evolution 4, with 4 CL-GD5480 chips. The 44-pin to 4 x VGA cable is going to cost as much as the card! £15. Not sure if the seller knew what he had. Quad VGA powered by 4 of Cirrus Logic's last VGA chipset. Found 9x and NT drivers easily enough. Now I just have to wait for it to get here 😀

Evolution_4.jpg
Filename
Evolution_4.jpg
File size
163.02 KiB
Views
File license

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24818 of 52766, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have an Opcode / Music Quest PC MIDI II card on the way now.

Was hoping to get it for the starting bid, but it didn't happen. Still got it for a really, really good price for an MPU-401 (intelligent mode) midi card.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
269.32 KiB
Views
File license
ports.jpg
Filename
ports.jpg
File size