VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wonder; do we need a separate "recent acquisition thread" for hardware? I just feel not right to post hardware purchases on this thread.

Nonetheless, I just won these. Heee-haw! 😀

F22TQSER-buy01-pic01.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic02.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic03.jpg

F22TQSER-buy01-pic04.jpg

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2008-02-04, 04:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just acquired a Diamond MonsterSound MX300 and another Voodoo5 5500 AGP.

diamond-mx300-buy01-pic01.jpg

3dfx5500agp-buy03-pic01.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 2 of 52205, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember blowing about $300.00US on a similar Thrustmaster setup in 1998 or so. I loved the size and stiffness of the F-22 Pro joystick, but it only lasted about a month of regular use in fight sims and X-Wing Collector's Edition. The problem was that, as you moved the handle, there are a couple of cylindrical bars (made of graphite perhaps) that rub against each other in the base, and they simply wore down over that month of use. As a result, there was severe hysteresis around the detent position, and there was no way to fix it other than replacing the cylindrical bars.

I have yet to see a mechanical design that was worth a darn as far as joysticks go.

Reply 3 of 52205, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thrustmaster had an awesome design when it came to joysticks back then. But maybe it is because I liked the ingenuity of the joysticks back then. Before everything almost became joy/game pads. But even those had some serious cool designs 😀 Or maybe I am just not seeing many joysticks now a days compared to joy/game pads.

Reply 4 of 52205, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only difference between what KAN has and my setup is that I had Thrustmaster Rudder Control System instead of the Elite pedals, and from an ergonomic standpoint, it (the system as a whole) was as close to perfection as I can imagine. But if it wears out in such a short span of time it's useless.

Reply 5 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never underestimate your competitor. Ever.

😢

EDIT: why the hell is my ebay id displayed as a***a instead of kreshna_iceheart?

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2008-02-09, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm an insane man with insane obsession.

(Actually, there is a pair of obsessions, and here is the other one).

3dfx5500mac-buy05-pic01.jpg

3dfx5500mac-buy04-pic01.jpg

I'm still waiting for the invoice and the S/H costs, though.

Reply 8 of 52205, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
I'm an insane man with insane obsession. […]
Show full quote

I'm an insane man with insane obsession.

(Actually, there is a pair of obsessions, and here is the other one).

3dfx5500mac-buy05-pic01.jpg

3dfx5500mac-buy04-pic01.jpg

I'm still waiting for the invoice and the S/H costs, though.

Will you reflash these and use on a PC?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 9 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

But of course I will! 😀

Reply 10 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pduke001 wrote:

... so YOU'RE they guy who keeps outbidding me on 5500's on eBay. 😜

Wait, wait. What's your ebay id? I thought bestemor is the only fellow Vogoner whom I've ever outbid on ebay. 😁

Reply 11 of 52205, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

But of course I will! 😀

Does the DVI contact work with todays TFT's?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 12 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

But of course I will! 😀

Does the DVI contact work with todays TFT's?

Er, the Voodoos haven't even arrived and I've never tried such thing before; any reasons they won't work?

Reply 13 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, Voodoo5 5500 Macs have DVI-D Dual Link connector (the fourth connector from above; see the pic below), so it is supposed to be okay, isn't it?

181px-DVI_Connector_Typessvg.png

Reply 15 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pduke001 wrote:

Wait, wait. What's your ebay id? I thought bestemor is the only fellow Vogoner whom I've ever outbid on ebay. Very Happy

jpd8364. I think you might've outbid me on ONE, at least. 😉

Er, but your name is not here, and it is not here either.

Reply 17 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pduke001 wrote:

Oh, I'm not bidding on PCIs. I actually already have a 5500 PCI (that I paid a ridiculous sum of money for back in 03 when I was still a foolish child... rather not talk about it). I'm looking for an AGP.

Wait, is your Voodoo5 5500 PCI a Mac version? You know, the one with DVI connector. If you plan to sell it, just let me know.

Reply 18 of 52205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just won a Yamaha SW60XG for US $70. I guess retro games 100 is right; good ISA cards are quite expensive these days.

yamahasw60xg-buy02-pic01.jpg

Reply 19 of 52205, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kreshna, please can you tell me what you think of your Yamaha sound card? Does it provide good music for DOS games?

(Also, do you know how well it compares to the Yamaha SW20PC card?)

Thanks a lot. Best regards, Robert.