Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30860 of 52205, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mpe wrote:

I own quite a few of early 90's cards. But had to get this. I love how sharp it looks with all those VRAM chips:

nice! it is indeed a great card - I got one damaged but managed to repair it in the end: Looking for Diamond Stealth 64 PCI BIOS (S3 Vision964)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30861 of 52205, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

nice! it is indeed a great card - I got one damaged but managed to repair it in the end: Looking for Diamond Stealth 64 PCI BIOS (S3 Vision964)

Wow. What a repair. Good work!

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30862 of 52205, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sooooo 8MB video ram for a S3 Vision.... Why?

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 30863 of 52205, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think these 256kx8 chips so it is only 4MB. The chips appear bigger then normal as they are dual-ported (dedicated channel for DAC).

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30865 of 52205, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Sooooo 8MB video ram for a S3 Vision.... Why?

2MB to 4MB upgrade. Probably for resolution and not anything fancy like textures.

I got one of my color monitors in today, a Sysdyne CD1343. It needs some work, but so does the other one.

I think this might be an EGA monitor, but I am not sure. Being that it has color and monochrome modes, I feel like it might support EGA in some way. Can't really test because my model M died.

The 4 buttons on the front do absolutely nothing, so I need to pop the cover and see what's going on at some point. I would like to have a monochrome mode, please...
MVIMG_20191022_171137.jpg
MVIMG_20191022_171153.jpg

Reply 30866 of 52205, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over the weekend, I bought an Original Xbox 1.0 and Duke Controller for $50. Bit pricey for the Xbox ($40), but the Duke controller was only $10. Both the system and controller needed a good cleaning and repair, plus the clock cap removal. Both work after repairs, cleaning, and removing that clock cap.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30867 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke controller is amazing good for playing things like Street Fighter III Third Strike, I wish I had one! I still own an XBOX Classic, it is basically my Street Fighter arcade emulator (Street Fighter Anniversary Collection)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30868 of 52205, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Duke controllers are back in town for the Xbox One and PC.

Reply 30869 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

The Duke controllers are back in town for the Xbox One and PC.

Huh? Really?

I got these in the last week or so, by the way:

ALI-386-SX-8517.jpg AITech-VSPro-V64.jpg

No clue why I got either, I already have an SX-25 board that works and I'm happy with it, but I saw this SX-33 board and I just.. grabbed it? It had a lot of battery damage that I used vinegar to neutralize and then scraped away with a flathead screwdriver. It POSTs, so I will use some transparent nail polish to cover the traces later. Not sure if I want to replace my SX-25 with this board though. As for the NIB VGA, I bought it because I wanted a PCI with TVOUT for my DX4 build and this was perfect for it. But I can't bring myself to break the seal so I will likely never use it. 😵

Also, these arrived from Serdashop:

Dreamblaster-DB15.jpg Dream-Blaster-MB-32-01.jpg Dream-Blaster-MB-32-02.jpg

The Monkey Island MB-32 is just adorable. 🤣

Reply 30870 of 52205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You all know that you can upload pictures directly to the forum post right?

'upload attachment' and then 'place inline'

That way, the pictures will always be available AND it won't be blocked by web filters, etc. as long as the forum is accessible.

It also puts a smaller clickable version of the picture inline and then you can click the picture to view full size.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30871 of 52205, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Up to 2MB only, sadly. My phone takes 5MB per picture.

Reply 30872 of 52205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Up to 2MB only, sadly. My phone takes 5MB per picture.

So crop and resize them. I email pics to myself and then use either GIMP (free) or Affinity Photo to adjust, crop, and resize.

Easy peazy and takes like 30 seconds per picture.

I always make the pic either 1920w or 1080h... (no pic is allowed to go over 1920w or 1080h).

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30873 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
You all know that you can upload pictures directly to the forum post right? […]
Show full quote

That way, the pictures will always be available AND it won't be blocked by web filters, etc. as long as the forum is accessible.

It also puts a smaller clickable version of the picture inline and then you can click the picture to view full size.

I don't post on VOGONS exclusively so using a hosting site and being able to copy and paste the BBCode to other places helps. It also makes removing the images from everywhere at once much easier should I choose to do so. I also fail to understand why this is a less acceptable way of posting images.

Reply 30874 of 52205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

I don't post on VOGONS exclusively so using a hosting site and being able to copy and paste the BBCode to other places helps. It also makes removing the images from everywhere at once much easier should I choose to do so. I also fail to understand why this is a less acceptable way of posting images.

As I am not a forum admin, it is more of a preference. Not all places I login to the vogons forum allow me to connect to picture hosting sites so I just get an X where the pictures are supposed to be.

It also makes more sense to me as far as wanting to look back at old posts and finding that the pictures, which are sometimes needed, no longer available.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30875 of 52205, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
HanJammer wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

GIB! Can you do some recordings of the CT1350b? I want to compare how a real one sounds to the ones emulated in 86Box and PCem. Thanks

I have four of them (Rev 2, 4 and 2x6 I think). I can do some recording later this week if you want (I have good pro grade audio interface). I wanted to do some comparison anyway. CT1350Bs were usually very noisy (you could literally hear the data flowing through the buses 🤣 - a lot like a coil whine on modern graphic cards) - I doubt they emulated it in PCem 😉

Thank you!

It took me quite some time (much longer than I anticipated) and I think you got real CT1350B since then (seen your post here some time ago if I'm not mistaken), but maybe you will find it interesting anyway: CT1350B sound quality un-benchmark

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30876 of 52205, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

AFAIK, this kind of behaviour is the primary reason why the "edit post" function was limited on here - defacing posts with useful information by removing pictures and contents.

Reply 30877 of 52205, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

AFAIK, this kind of behaviour is the primary reason why the "edit post" function was limited on here - defacing posts with useful information by removing pictures and contents.

Certainly not, as you can mass-delete all attachments you've ever uploaded with a single click in you user control panel. It wouldn't be a clever move to prevent members from removing their pictures, as only they have the rights to decide how long they want a picture to stay online and how it is used in general.

Reply 30878 of 52205, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I also fail to understand why this is a less acceptable way of posting images.

disregarding the fact that removing images can break the context of a lot of threads, most image hosting services are bloated to oblivion and not very resource friendly, and then there's the issue with loads of advertising trackers and the like being included as well.

I always like when forums include the option to directly upload images for these reasons.

on topic: I just got a box full of new socket 7 coolers and AT-extension cables 😀
also some PCI and AGP risers for experimenting with compact builds.

Reply 30879 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I may post it here but it is still my photo and my content and I like control over whether I want it to be online or not, so *shrug*..

I was running short on CF-IDE adapters, by the way. 😎

CF-IDE-Adapters.jpg