Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10320 of 52813, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Beegle wrote:

Received an ISA Card that is in fact a nice little FM Radio, made by Aztech.

Cool! Got any board shots?

Sure thing!

Attachments

• IMG_9035.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9035.JPG
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_9034.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9034.JPG
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9033.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9033.JPG
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File license

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 10321 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to craigslist someone posted this old laptop in the free section. Its a toshiba 205cds. A neat little pentium machine with 16mb of ram. it came complete with manuals, printer, external floppy, driver disks, everything.
RfKg0Uxm.jpg

The printer is a bubblejet, thesticker says its color, but there is only a black cartridge installed. Naturally its dried up and useless, but it does seem to want to work. If I happen across a cartridge, I might give it a full test.
t4LYusRm.jpg

boots quickly into win 95b. total fresh install too. nothing but the drivers have been installed. That and the cd drive came with a cereal box scrabble game.
KA5LnLsm.jpg

After checking the bag, it also had a pcmcia modem (not pictured) and an iomega clik drive. The sd <-> pcmcia card was mine, I was expecting to transfer files off the hdd. The clik drive has dos 6.22 on it for whatever reason. 40mb of awesome!
s1cfKdNm.jpg

Don't know what I'm going to do with it. The screen is HORRIBLE. And the pointer works but is horribly sensitive one moment and totally unresponsive the next. The price was right anyway!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10322 of 52813, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Beegle wrote:

Received an ISA Card that is in fact a nice little FM Radio, made by Aztech.

Interesting mix of old and new in the construction. Both tantalum caps and SMD components.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10323 of 52813, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Beegle; I have one of those which matches an ISA Aztech card with which I got it years back. It sucks and the radio card is unreliable. Hopefully you have better luck with yours, I don't listen to the radio anyway because pop music is crap.

@Luckybob; If the drivers are still on the drive you might want to save them as Toshiba have been deleting support for their old laptops. I keep meaning to copy the ones for my 410CDT off of the drive.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10324 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was still able to get Satellite 200CDT (same system but with a TFT screen) drivers from Toshiba a year or two ago, but it's never a bad thing to back up something like that. They're nice laptops, but it's definitely a lot better with the TFT screen than it is with a dual-scan screen! Wish mine had all of the trimmings though, I was never able to find the correct floppy drive before I sold the thing.

Reply 10325 of 52813, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Thanks to craigslist someone posted this old laptop in the free section. Its a toshiba 205cds. A neat little pentium machine with 16mb of ram. it came complete with manuals, printer, external floppy, driver disks, everything.[/url]

The printer is a bubblejet, thesticker says its color, but there is only a black cartridge installed. Naturally its dried up and useless, but it does seem to want to work. If I happen across a cartridge, I might give it a full test.

Really want an old Pentium laptop, bad screens notwithstanding. So jelly! I also remember reading about those little printers in PC World and wanting one purely because they were so compact.

Reply 10326 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Thanks to craigslist someone posted this old laptop in the free section. Its a toshiba 205cds. A neat little pentium machine with 16mb of ram. it came complete with manuals, printer, external floppy, driver disks, everything.[/url]

Really want an old Pentium laptop, bad screens notwithstanding. So jelly! I also remember reading about those little printers in PC World and wanting one purely because they were so compact.

Get one with a TFT and you'll be fine, to be honest. I've got a few myself (one with a DSTN - Thinkpad 380E - and a couple of Latitude CP M233STs with TFTs) that I really should finish fixing.

Reply 10327 of 52813, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got pretty lucky today and picked up a pretty nice Tandy 1000SX to add to my stack of Tandy's....

tandy 1000.jpg
Filename
tandy 1000.jpg
File size
238.23 KiB
Views
File license

I thought that I was lucky for just finding a fully working Tandy 1000 locally that even included the original keyboard and manuals...

tandy 1000-2.jpg
Filename
tandy 1000-2.jpg
File size
314.58 KiB
Views
File license

But the luck would not stop there...
...the person I purchased it from even included an original Tandy VM-4 monochrome monitor in the original box and also a Roland EGA color monitor...

tandy 1000-3.jpg
Filename
tandy 1000-3.jpg
File size
213.59 KiB
Views
File license

Two original Logitech 3 button mice and a bunch of software on 5.25" floppies...

tandy 1000-4.jpg
Filename
tandy 1000-4.jpg
File size
224.16 KiB
Views
File license

...and low and behold, one look at the back of the case, I noticed that all the slots were almost filled with what I hoped to be more retro goodness...one look at the back and I noticed some serial ports and a network card and a modem (all with 8bit interfaces) which is pretty cool and already much more than I usually find to come with an old Tandy 1000, but what really intrigued me the most was an expansion card with a lonely 9pin connector taking up one of the slots. At first I thought that it was probably an EGA or 9pin VGA video card of some sort that the original owner somehow got to work with simultaneously with the on-board original Tandy video, but when I opened up the case to take a look, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the card was actually a Music Quest 8 bit MIDI interface card! 😀

tandy 1000-5.jpg
Filename
tandy 1000-5.jpg
File size
392.12 KiB
Views
File license

I will need to make an interface cable, but I remembered that luckily Keropi and I believe Soviet Conscript have posted on how to make a homemade 9pin to 2XMIDI port (in and out) interface cable for this Music Quest card (Thank you for this Keropi and soviet conscript and whoever else was involved in coming up with the pinout information!!).

I have been on a bit of a hiatus from buying retro PC stuff lately and it's crazy that the week I get back into it after a couple months, I find these amazing treasures 😀 .

Reply 10328 of 52813, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and I almost forgot...I just won this Tandy 1000RL HD from ebay this week and it is being shipped out to me as we speak...

Tandy 1000RL HD.JPG
Filename
Tandy 1000RL HD.JPG
File size
186.94 KiB
Views
File license

...can't wait to add it to my stack as well...I have been looking for a good deal for a 1000RL model for over 4 years now.

To "complete" my Tandy 1000 collection then I still need a 1000 model (I have the 1000 HD version), a 1000 TL/3, 1000 SL, 1000 SL/2, 1000 RSX, 1000 RLX, and a 1000 RL (non HD version)

Reply 10330 of 52813, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seob wrote:

Nice haul. How many different 1000 models are there?

EDIT: Thanks. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that there are 15 different models:

1. Tandy 1000
2. Tandy 1000 HD
3. Tandy 1000 EX
4. Tandy 1000 HX
5. Tandy 1000 TX
6. Tandy 1000 SX
7. Tandy 1000 SL
8. Tandy 1000 SL/2
9. Tandy 1000 TL
10. Tandy 1000 TL/2
11. Tandy 1000 TL/3
12. Tandy 1000 RL
13. Tandy 1000 RL HD
14. Tandy 1000 RLX
15. Tandy 1000 RSX

Reply 10331 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Makes me wonder...

Have you ever tried to connect those "close standards" PC --things like Tandy and Amiga-- to modern monitors? Or probably 4k TV? Do they work well with "non-native" monitors?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10332 of 52813, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Have you ever tried to connect those "close standards" PC --things like Tandy and Amiga-- to modern monitors? Or probably 4k TV? Do they work well with "non-native" monitors?

Amiga can work with modern tv if connected thru composite or rgb(scart).
But for best quality, connect to VGA or DVI it require a scandubler module, fro example this one https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/F … candoubler.html

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 10333 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:

But for best quality, connect to VGA or DVI it require a scandubler module, fro example this one https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/F … candoubler.html

I see. How about Tandy? Is it true Tandy monitors are non-standard? I remember trying to run Wibarm in Tandy mode in DOSBOX, and the graphics become so jumbled that it's barely recognizable.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 10334 of 52813, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo3 2000 PCI SGR, white heatsink model
v3_2q4s9m.jpg

BIOS date is 6.8.1999, that is rather old considering the first V3 PCI SGR were made in 53rd week of 1999.
v3_1xesy7.jpg

Radeon 9250 - 128 MB, 128bit
9250utsb9.jpg

GeForce FX 5200 - 128 MB, 64bit
fx52003xs17.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10335 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:

I see. How about Tandy? Is it true Tandy monitors are non-standard? I remember trying to run Wibarm in Tandy mode in DOSBOX, and the graphics become so jumbled that it's barely recognizable.

They didn't use special monitors from what I can see, but they did have a totally different graphics set.

Reply 10336 of 52813, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tandy 1000's typically use RGBI output instead of analog RGB. I have been somewhat successful getting tandy graphics to display on my 1080p 60hz tv with various extron products....it's been a while since I tried but it involved using various scan converters and rgb to hdmi converter boxes. I can't exactly remember what I did but I can tell you it's possible but not without some decent quality conversion setup. I have also been successful in displaying tandy and amiga 500 rgb video to an old sony crt via rgb to component conversion again with extron products. It wasn't perfect for video quality when in the menu system or in dos but when you start up a game the graphics look really nice on a crt. I have many more experiments to try to get good results but it will take me some time. I have a stack of extron gear that I have been getting from a local recycler for a good price that usually do the trick if used in the right combination with the right cables. The great thing about most of the extron stuff is that there is virtually zero lag as well.

Reply 10337 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Tandy 1000's typically use RGBI output instead of analog RGB. I have been somewhat successful getting tandy graphics to display on my 1080p 60hz tv with various extron products....

I see. 😳

What is RGBI, by the way?

retrofanatic wrote:

it's been a while since I tried but it involved using various scan converters and rgb to hdmi converter boxes. I can't exactly remember what I did but I can tell you it's possible but not without some decent quality conversion setup. I have also been successful in displaying tandy and amiga 500 rgb video to an old sony crt via rgb to component conversion again with extron products. It wasn't perfect for video quality when in the menu system or in dos but when you start up a game the graphics look really nice on a crt. I have many more experiments to try to get good results but it will take me some time. I have a stack of extron gear that I have been getting from a local recycler for a good price that usually do the trick if used in the right combination with the right cables. The great thing about most of the extron stuff is that there is virtually zero lag as well.

If I somehow managed to finish my personal game theater, I'd really be interested to connect various retro hardware --like Atari Console-- to modern computer screen and A/V receiver, so I'd be interested to hear more details. 😀

Reply 10338 of 52813, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is RGBI, by the way?

It's CGA/EGA 9-pin digital monitor connector.
CGA uses 6 pins (red, green, blue, intensivity, h-sync, v-sync)+2 grounds.
EGA uses same pins for all 200-string modes and 8 pins (2nd red, red, green, blue, 2nd green, 2nd blue, h-sync, v-sync)+1 ground for 350-string modes.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2016-01-18, 16:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10339 of 52813, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Local listing again. 10€ + shipping.

Attachments

• amd486.jpg
    Filename
    amd486.jpg
    File size
    376.71 KiB