VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10620 of 52813, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know. The Voodoo is an excellent example. You pay around fifty bucks. But you can see those in our web markets at something like ten dollars. It's easy to buy retro stuff, but it's easy to run out of space too jajaja 🤣

Reply 10621 of 52813, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ramiro77 wrote:

Yes, I know. The Voodoo is an excellent example. You pay around fifty bucks. But you can see those in our web markets at something like ten dollars. It's easy to buy retro stuff, but it's easy to run out of space too jajaja 🤣

So true! I've just had to clear out an entire room of retro gear to make space for our baby due this week! I'll have to take a picture of our garage, its full to the rafters of retro goodness 😀

Only problem now is I have no idea what I've got so probably have many duplicate pieces of hardware!

Reply 10622 of 52813, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sellers hands may still be attached to this card when it arrives.

6528ca463965463.jpg

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10623 of 52813, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
The sellers hands may still be attached to this card when it arrives. […]
Show full quote

6528ca463965463.jpg

Nice one 😀

I'm also getting a second Mach32 ISA. As the first one has some problems... should have done more tests when I got it as ebay/pp protection has run out many months ago 😒

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10624 of 52813, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I'm also getting a second Mach32 ISA.

This girl's EISA!

Though rather than ditching her at the first sign of trouble and running out to get a newer, possibly younger looking model... you could try and work things out between you.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 10625 of 52813, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
kixs wrote:

I'm also getting a second Mach32 ISA.

This girl's EISA!

Though rather than ditching her at the first sign of trouble and running out to get a newer, possibly younger looking model... you could try and work things out between you.

I've surely seen this 😉 But my thing are ISA and VLB 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10626 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:
Awesome day. - 5x ethernet PCI cards. - 1x Sound Blaster CT2290 - 1x Creative CT3600 - 1x Analog Devices AD1846JP - 1x Addonics […]
Show full quote

Awesome day.
- 5x ethernet PCI cards.
- 1x Sound Blaster CT2290
- 1x Creative CT3600
- 1x Analog Devices AD1846JP
- 1x Addonics Sound Vision 500
- 1x OPTi 82C931
- 1x Adaptec AHA-2920 SCSI controller with cable
- 1x 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 PCI 16mb
- 1x Diamond Monster Fusion AGP 16mb SGRAM
- 1x S3 Virge DX with all memory banks populated (no clue how much vram has)
- 5x slot 1 cpu
- 35x ide hard disks (one or two are SCSI and three are for laptops).
- 1x Epson 80mb HDD cartridge

j93s4m.jpg

All for $40. I'm wondering wich sound card should I keep for my Pentium rig. I think the competition would be between CT2290 and CT3600, right?
Meanwhile I'm stuck with HDD regenerator. I'm testing all the hard drives. I found one 20gb maxtor drive which hdd regenerator tested at 375 mb per second 😲 This is weird because all the other drives were between 6 and 12 mb per second, even new old stock drives.

Wow ramiro, that's an awesome haul! 😁

You've been busy! 😜

Your Virge is, I suppose, the card to the right of the V3 PCI? It looks weird if it is the Virge (most with 8 chips or 4 chips and 4 sockets had a different layout) but it should have 4 MB with 8 chips.

2 of your PCI NICs look older (bigger PCB) and those seem to be a bit easier to use in 9x because of that (I have no idea if that's for sure though, but I like to match hardware that's "roughly" the same era anyway)

I see 2 Pentium 2s (lets hope for you one of them is a 400MHz model without a locked multi 😁), 2 newer Slot 1 CPUs (could be anything) and the Slot 1 with the large metal-colored spiky heatsink "may" be a Celeron and honestly, I find any Slot 1 Celeron worthwhile (maybe the 433/300A/300/266 models the most, but the rest is "good" also, imo 😜)

I don't know the model numbers of your drives, but they look to be IDE drives of roughly all ages, but mostly ones as old as the rest of your components (late-90s/early 2000s)

And the price is very good! Lets hope the seller doesn't throw all these in a too large box with only a handful of those plastic snowflakes as filler 😵
If I have doubts about the packaging skills of the seller, I just tell them they can use toiletpaper or old newspaper and other paper junk and ask them to stuff it full 🤣!

edit:

ramiro77 wrote:

This is soooo true 🤣!

But we have a couple threads about this exact subject too, I like kiwi boxes! 😁

386_junkie wrote:
Show full quote

6528ca463965463.jpg

I don't know why, but I've always liked the look of those RAM...whatevers that sit upright on the board and it needing over 9000 of those RAM whatevers just so you have enough video memory so you can go SVGA 😁

made a new reply instead of editing this one but I quickly fixed it 😊

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-02-08, 15:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10627 of 52813, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jajaja yes, I've been really busy between retro computing and my studies.
This is the Virge DX. I think it has 4mb.

8vrlhe.jpg

Regarding the nics, what you see are two 3Com nics. These are good quality cards. No Realtek crap. I have to test them though. The CPUS are three Pentium ii 350mhz and two Celerons (no idea what speed, I have to test them).

And the drives are between 44 mb 😲 and 80gb. There are a good quantity of 20gb Maxtors. I'm testing them with hdd regenerator to see which ones are 100% ok. Then I will choose some to keep and the rest is going to market. The bad disks will go to a disposal center.

The price for everything was very good because it was all untested. Right now the PCI cards are tested and working and something like 10 ide disks are OK (I have to test another eighteen disks yet). I haven't tested the ISA cards yet.

Reply 10629 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:
Jajaja yes, I've been really busy between retro computing and my studies. This is the Virge DX. I think it has 4mb. […]
Show full quote

8vrlhe.jpg

Regarding the nics, what you see are two 3Com nics. These are good quality cards. No Realtek crap. I have to test them though. The CPUS are three Pentium ii 350mhz and two Celerons (no idea what speed, I have to test them).

And the drives are between 44 mb 😲 and 80gb. There are a good quantity of 20gb Maxtors. I'm testing them with hdd regenerator to see which ones are 100% ok. Then I will choose some to keep and the rest is going to market. The bad disks will go to a disposal center.

The price for everything was very good because it was all untested. Right now the PCI cards are tested and working and something like 10 ide disks are OK (I have to test another eighteen disks yet). I haven't tested the ISA cards yet.

This one is kinda the same as your Virge. Different layout, but once inside the metal box you won't notice anyway 😜
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/File:VirgeDX.JPG
Yours most likely will be 4 MB

Alas, those 350MHz ones never came unlocked afaik. Slot 1 Celerons were also locked I think, but still very good for now 😀

Having so many differently sized harddrives is a good thing I think. As I don't use any of those flash drives I try to use a real harddrive instead and having smaller ones makes this a lot easier (though not much faster 😜). I never really liked Maxtor though (kinda loud and not the most reliable), though they also made a couple nice ones I think.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10630 of 52813, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:

The Virge was the last card before the Savage came along - the company was acquired by VIA soon afterwards. It can do 3D but isn't considered a proper 3D card. It's a solid GUI performer and has good pedigree where older DOS games are concerned. And the NICs have excellent DOS support 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10631 of 52813, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I know it's a solid performer for 2D. I don't know if I will keep it but I think I will.
Is there any special thing I should know for connect an old 2.5 and 44 megabytes hdd disks? I put them on my Deskpro EN (Pentium III) and they spin and everything. No odd noises. But the bios doesn't detect them. Both are standard ide connector.

Reply 10633 of 52813, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I won an untested Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 ST, its a bare unit but the winning bid was only £16 so I thought it was worth the gamble.

I will let you know if it works when it gets here.

SC55ST.JPG
Filename
SC55ST.JPG
File size
65.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10634 of 52813, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

I won an untested Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 ST, its a bare unit but the winning bid was only £16 so I thought it was worth the gamble.

SC55ST.JPG

If it doesn't work... I can help you fix it.

Edit; - The internets are a wonderful thing... no?

Reply 10635 of 52813, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
Or is it a K6-2? a 500Mhz model would be a nice bonus :) […]
Show full quote

Or is it a K6-2? a 500Mhz model would be a nice bonus 😀

I bought a bunch of craphics cards from a local seller (x12 for £8) purely because of the unidentifiable PCI card I saw in the terrible picture. Turns out it's a REALmagic EM8300 MPEG-2 / DVD decoder card. Apparently useless without the proprietary video in cable to daisy-chain with the main graphics card. I've got the pinout - might be bothered to hack something together at some point. The other bonus was the ugliest heatsink I have ever seen in my life.

Observe:

20160206_202045resize.jpg

Great decoder card, I have it right now with my pc. If you want to use it on a PC monitor (CRT) you need the pass cable but if you use it on a TV svideo mini-din or rca input you can use it anyway.
These kind of cards were intended for good old times but I still prefer the hardware decoding of these cards that the software decode or assisted solution.

Reply 10636 of 52813, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

SC55ST.JPG

If it doesn't work... I can help you fix it.

Edit; - The internets are a wonderful thing... no?

Thanks 😀

The Internet is indeed a wonderful thing!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10638 of 52813, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
Show full quote

6528ca463965463.jpg

Don't worry I have another one at home. Otherwise I would not have sold it. I think it is important to give others the chance to get one too.

I really like those EISA cards. So special and so rare these days. Just got a MIRO Rainbow Win 4 MB EISA card (nearly a Miro Crystal 32 Eisa but with 170 MHz Ramdac).
Unfortunately the seller did not pack it right. Some pins were destroyed after delivery, but a collegue of mine was able to fix it. But it took a lot of effort.

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2016-02-08, 17:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 10639 of 52813, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moturimi1 wrote:

Just gut a MIRO Rainbow Wind 4 MB EISA card (nearly a Miro Crystal 32 Eisa but with 170 MHz Ramdac).

Could you post a pic of on the EISA card thread?