VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11300 of 52803, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Sealed NOS Gainward AGP 6800GT in the mail today. Well it's not sealed anymore as I want to use it.
It cost me $88 AUD delivered from the UK. I am hoping it will work in my Abit KT7-Raid, but if not I have a P4P800dlx
that won't have any issues with it.

Attachments

• DSC00737.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00737.JPG
    File size
    2.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC00736.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00736.JPG
    File size
    2.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC00735.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00735.JPG
    File size
    2.79 MiB
    Views
    File license

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 11301 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

My Voodoo3 2000 PCI has the same heatsink, but 8 memory chips, other components in completely different placement and many more the the really small surface mount components. It's weird just how different they are in layout. I'll add a photo later.

edit: photo added

voodoo3.jpg

Looks a bit like the Compaq V3-3500. Are your's an Compaq?
Anyway... How rare are Compaq V3 cards?
I know that they had a couple of different V3 models, both PCI and AGP.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11302 of 52803, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

Got this Sealed NOS Gainward AGP 6800GT in the mail today. Well it's not sealed anymore as I want to use it.
It cost me $88 AUD delivered from the UK. I am hoping it will work in my Abit KT7-Raid, but if not I have a P4P800dlx
that won't have any issues with it.

Lovely card! I think I saw the article, but went after "just the card". Got a MSI, works great, but on the lookout for a backup card 😀

The 6800 GT doesn't use an AGP bridge, so I doubt that you will have issues with the Abit board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11303 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Gainward 6800gt is sweet. My brother had a Gainward Geforce 2 Pro and later a Geforce 4 ti 4400, both Golden Sample editions (did they make any others?)

I still have the 4400 and later came into possession of a Geforce 3 Ti 200 with the same color scheme from Gainward.

They were definitely the most "premium" looking cards back in those days.

I actually just got a BFG 6800gt OC AGP (reference design cooler, not the dual fan model) for $20 shipped on eBay. Very good price, and it's exactly like one that I had. I remember waking up at like 5am for some reason back when those cards came out and saw that BestBuy had a massive sale on them... I believe it was a preorder actually, and I got it for only $299, when all others were $399. Amazing deal! I sold it several years later for like $75, but now I want one again to rebuild my last AGP system.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11304 of 52803, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Looks a bit like the Compaq V3-3500. Are your's an Compaq? Anyway... How rare are Compaq V3 cards? I know that they had a couple […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:

My Voodoo3 2000 PCI has the same heatsink, but 8 memory chips, other components in completely different placement and many more the the really small surface mount components. It's weird just how different they are in layout. I'll add a photo later.

edit: photo added

voodoo3.jpg

Looks a bit like the Compaq V3-3500. Are your's an Compaq?
Anyway... How rare are Compaq V3 cards?
I know that they had a couple of different V3 models, both PCI and AGP.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe I bought this card new/retail back in the day. As in, it came in a 3dfx box.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11305 of 52803, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A week ago I posted the sellers image of the Roland SCC-1A I bought, it looked rather scruffy. The scruffiness must have been an optical illusion because now I think the card looks much better, owners bias FTW. 😀

The card has lots of signs of rework though and one cap is a little bit beaten up (but not defective). The SCC-1A also has unreasonable strong line output level, we are talking studio level strength. Hmm, it's perhaps not that strange now when I think about it.

I had a real scare at first as I connected the card directly to some old but decent active speakers. I played Deep Purple Highway Star and it sounded awesome! Awesome for 3 minuts that is then I heard a loud bang like a gun shot and then there was only 130dB static... very nice! The static disappeared as soon as I disconnected the the RCA cables coming from the SCC-1A. This was a bit troubling as I just had given the seller a perfect feedback score...

It must have been the cards strong line output level that killed the active speakers pre amp. When connected to an AWE64s line in everything has been working perfectly fine for hours (with 25% line input volume level). This is not a big loss, the active speakers needed a look-over anyhow as they started to get noisy.

Roland SCC-1A front.JPG
Filename
Roland SCC-1A front.JPG
File size
4.32 MiB
Views
File license
Roland SCC-1A back.JPG
Filename
Roland SCC-1A back.JPG
File size
4.3 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11306 of 52803, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This arrived today. TNT2 M64 PCI 16MB. I gave it a quick plug in to my high-end DOS PC, replacing the GeForce2 MX AGP. Just ran a few tests to confirm it works and see how it performs. Good news: It is about equal to the AGP GF2 MX on a Celeron 333 platform. In previous tests, I determined that the GF2 MX was the fastest overall DOS card that I ever tested. That bodes well for the machine I intend to put this in--the Packard Bell P133. I initially replaced the onboard CL GD5430 with a Voodoo3 2000 PCI (photo is 9 posts up), which was faster than the CL, but the Voodoo has some compatibility quirks I wasn't happy with. Namely, horizontal lines in certain graphics modes. It is also the only card I've come across that requires that alternate video mode in Wing Commander 3 movies. So I ordered this card as well as a Number Nine S3 Virge 325 (hedging my bets in case one was DOA). The Virge hasn't arrived yet. Paid $24 all-together for both cards.

I find it weird that the memory chips seem to be lying in between the board's outlines for where the chips should go.

tnt2m64.jpg
Filename
tnt2m64.jpg
File size
546.01 KiB
Views
File license

Once the Virge arrives and assuming it is healthy, I will at some point do a PCI graphics shootout on the P133: Cirrus Logic vs Voodoo3 vs TNT2 vs S3 Virge.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11307 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well today's a terrible sad day. Due to the seller's improper packaging, both of my quadro FX-3400's arrived damaged. It's ebay so I'm going to the seller for the issue of course, but just thought I'd share anyway.

DSC06112.JPG

DSC06114.JPG

DSC06115.JPG

Needless to say I'm upset and a little furious. This could of all been avoided if they would of just used a cardboard box, or some sort of internal protection, instead of just stuffing em in a padded envelope one on top of the other.

Last edited by kithylin on 2016-03-30, 19:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11308 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that's awful. Ive had some questionable packaging lately but nothing that bad. I've gotten a pile of parts "for scrap" that were at least wrapped in tissue paper in a box.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11310 of 52803, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Well today's a terrible sad day. Due to the seller's improper packaging, both of my quadro FX-3400's arrived damaged and DOA. It's ebay so I'm going to the seller for the issue of course, but just thought I'd share anyway.

Needless to say I'm upset and a little furious. This could of all been avoided if they would of just used a cardboard box, or some sort of internal protection, instead of just stuffing em in a padded envelope one on top of the other.

With damage like that you should get all your money back without issues, with luck you get to keep the cards. I think both of them should be salvageable if you (or someone you know) are handy with a soldering iron.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 11311 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took a minute to white out both addresses for this one. This is what the seller sent em in. And they weren't protected against each other. Just sat bare one on top of the other then wrapped bubble wrap around both of em and shoved em in this soft mailer.

DSC06120.JPG

I've tested em and one comes on and shows POST the other is completely DOA. I could solder the large metallic SMD capacitor back on it's spot for the 1 working card, but I don't have a clue what the different surface-mount bits are or where they go.

EDIT: The seller already issued me a full refund for the purchase price, apologized, said they will revise their shipping policy for video cards with their warehouse, and told me to recycle them as per my state's regulations.

So the one that still works.. guess it's mine to keep now. I'll contact my friend locally (retired electrical engineer) and take em the bits that came off and see if we can get those two missing components soldered back on and salvage it. Since it comes on I'm guessing those are probably just capacitors. We'll see what happens with it.

The other one (the one with the busted PCB on one corner) is totally toast. I tried it and got a series of pop noises in quick succession, a sizzle noise and a puff of magic smoke came out. As many of you probably know, once the magic smoke comes out there's no hope for the poor thing.

Reply 11312 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was browsing my favourite site for finding fun stuff and found these. I bought the whole lot for 50 euro. I have no real use for them, but the guy was talking about gold prices and I could not let them get away.

The PPro's are 200MHz 512Kb. Pulled from a working system a few years ago and in pristine condition.

I haven't even researched the rest yet.

cgkqMxjl.jpg

dx5T7nol.jpg

bJiHpOWl.jpg

Also, the guy who sold me the Canopus Pure3D found the special loop-through cable and sent it to me, it also arrived today. Good thing he found it, I would have never found it seperately.

I have also ordered a nice new soldering iron and parts to replace some soldered-on Dallas RTC's.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11313 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Well today's a terrible sad day. Due to the seller's improper packaging, both of my quadro FX-3400's arrived damaged and DOA. It's ebay so I'm going to the seller for the issue of course, but just thought I'd share anyway.

That is a waste, I hope you at least get the money back. It would be even better if the cards could also be repaired.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11314 of 52803, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
So I was browsing my favourite site for finding fun stuff and found these. I bought the whole lot for 50 euro. I have no real us […]
Show full quote

So I was browsing my favourite site for finding fun stuff and found these. I bought the whole lot for 50 euro. I have no real use for them, but the guy was talking about gold prices and I could not let them get away.

The PPro's are 200MHz 512Kb. Pulled from a working system a few years ago and in pristine condition.

I haven't even researched the rest yet.

Also, the guy who sold me the Canopus Pure3D found the special loop-through cable and sent it to me, it also arrived today. Good thing he found it, I would have never found it seperately.

I have also ordered a nice new soldering iron and parts to replace some soldered-on Dallas RTC's.

Thats a good buy, my source for Pentium Pro CPUs wants 25 USD each for both 256KB and 512KB cache ones and I will soon return for a few more. 50 euro for four 512 KB Pentium Pros + some other CPUs is very good value.

Reply 11315 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
kithylin wrote:

That is a waste, I hope you at least get the money back. It would be even better if the cards could also be repaired.

Hit refresh and scroll up a tad I made a few edits. One comes on and shows POST in a test computer and still works, and I'm gonna seek getting it repaired. The other one is toast, magic smoke came out. I got refunded and get to keep em.. so one works, the other's trash.

Reply 11316 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Thats a good buy, my source for Pentium Pro CPUs wants 25 USD each for both 256KB and 512KB cache ones and I will soon return for a few more. 50 euro for four 512 KB Pentium Pros + some other CPUs is very good value.

Yes absolutely, I'm very happy the seller appreciated that I am a 'collector' and decided he found that better than recycling them.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11318 of 52803, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I would leave it be, it dosnt matter much as you can adjust the clocks your self. Perhaps just send a message to the seller letting him know so he can name them correctly if he is going to sell more Voodoo 3 cards.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did.

Now I'm just having fun confirming everything works properly. Tested Quake 2 and Ultima 9 so far; UT is next.

Reply 11319 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Hit refresh and scroll up a tad I made a few edits. One comes on and shows POST in a test computer and still works, and I'm gonna seek getting it repaired. The other one is toast, magic smoke came out. I got refunded and get to keep em.. so one works, the other's trash.

I'm glad you got your money back. Hopefully the working one can be restored.

1982 to 2001