VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11880 of 52702, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loves Slot A. It's pretty rare, I got lucky finding some hardware. I hope it works... 😀

kithylin wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Gold finger devices are STUPID rare. its annoys me a great deal, having a wonderful 1ghz slot-a cpu and a top-notch board and not have one of these devices.

@brancho

That is a nice board, I have one i just retired from my sisters system. I put in a LV xeon and I'm going to use it as a DIY-router for when gigabit fiber comes to my area. (VERY SOON)

I know they are. I'm secretly hoping Cyrix200+ found some online and someone has em for sale.... I dream.

Haha. It came from the seller of the mainboard, he said he had 'a thing to overclock it with' if I wanted it. For free 😜

I dremeled out a window in the already-opened CPU so the GFD can fit on there with the case on the CPU. Looks a bit nicer.

I noticed that the heatplate on the back of both CPU's does not touch the cache chips. I remember that is was always a big gap and that there was thermal paste in between. I probably need to restore that one day.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11881 of 52702, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loves Slot A. It's pretty rare, I got lucky finding some hardware. I hope it works... […]
Show full quote

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loves Slot A. It's pretty rare, I got lucky finding some hardware. I hope it works... 😀

kithylin wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Gold finger devices are STUPID rare. its annoys me a great deal, having a wonderful 1ghz slot-a cpu and a top-notch board and not have one of these devices.

@brancho

That is a nice board, I have one i just retired from my sisters system. I put in a LV xeon and I'm going to use it as a DIY-router for when gigabit fiber comes to my area. (VERY SOON)

I know they are. I'm secretly hoping Cyrix200+ found some online and someone has em for sale.... I dream.

Haha. It came from the seller of the mainboard, he said he had 'a thing to overclock it with' if I wanted it. For free 😜

I dremeled out a window in the already-opened CPU so the GFD can fit on there with the case on the CPU. Looks a bit nicer.

I noticed that the heatplate on the back of both CPU's does not touch the cache chips. I remember that is was always a big gap and that there was thermal paste in between. I probably need to restore that one day.

You lucky SOB getting one of those free. I've always wanted one.. I didn't even know they existed until years after the chips were "obosleted" and by then they weren't produced anymore. One of the "Unobtanium" things I've wanted for many years now. 🙁

Reply 11882 of 52702, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit of a random purchase showed up today. Not knowing much about 370 Intel Chipsets, I saw this and thought it looked interesting. uATX, AGP, ISA slot. I didn't pay any attention to the memory slots until after i put an offer in. I couldn't see any markings on the board but though i would put an offer in anyways. It turns out its a Shuttle HOT 687Z, which has the ZX chipset and from reading up is for Celeron's. Now my knowledge of Celeron's is non existent. What would be a good Celeron to put into this board? Can it accept Pentium's or is it strictly limited to Celeron's? Anyone have any experience with this board?

20160507_160525.jpg

Reply 11883 of 52702, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ZX chipset is very similar to the BX, supports only 2 memory slots. This board probably does not support Coppermine or Tualatin CPU voltages, so a classic Celeron is pretty much all you can use. I think the fastest one is 533MHz.

Bancho wrote:

Bit of a random purchase showed up today. Not knowing much about 370 Intel Chipsets, I saw this and thought it looked interesting. uATX, AGP, ISA slot. I didn't pay any attention to the memory slots until after i put an offer in. I couldn't see any markings on the board but though i would put an offer in anyways. It turns out its a Shuttle HOT 687Z, which has the ZX chipset and from reading up is for Celeron's. Now my knowledge of Celeron's is non existent. What would be a good Celeron to put into this board? Can it accept Pentium's or is it strictly limited to Celeron's? Anyone have any experience with this board?

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2016-05-07, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11884 of 52702, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NEC PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP - Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic 6MB PCI (1997) (Sealed)

qLYX1j.jpg
XEmqCr.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11885 of 52702, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it officially supports up to 500 MHz CPUs on a 100 MHz FSB, or 466 on a 66 MHz FSB, according to this, all Celerons. So I'd be surprised if it was capable of handling anything other than a Mendocino Celeron (which, as Cyrix says, goes no higher than 533 MHz), because those are 2V parts and no other Socket 370 CPU used that voltage - they were all lower ones. Those Celerons were a bit of an oddball, in that they had 1/4 of the cache of a PII or PIII, but it runs at full speed, whilst those systems had half-speed cache. This means that in certain circumstances, a Celeron will outstrip an equivalent PII/Katmai PIII, particularly if you overclock the FSB to 100 MHz (as many did with their Celeron 300As back in the day).

Despite the seeming Celeron limitation, it does look like it was a nice enough little board, with a generous amount of fan headers for the time, AGP, PCI and ISA, two USB ports and all the caps look good.

Reply 11886 of 52702, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[quote="Artex"]NEC PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP - Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic 6MB PCI (1997) (Sealed)
[...]/quote]

wow, another unobtanium in the collection, kudos!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11887 of 52702, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

wow, another unobtanium in the collection, kudos!

Thanks Keropi!! This gem completes my boxed Videologic Apocalypse set! 😎

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11888 of 52702, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Well, it officially supports up to 500 MHz CPUs on a 100 MHz FSB, or 466 on a 66 MHz FSB, according to this, all Celerons. So I'd be surprised if it was capable of handling anything other than a Mendocino Celeron (which, as Cyrix says, goes no higher than 533 MHz), because those are 2V parts and no other Socket 370 CPU used that voltage - they were all lower ones. Those Celerons were a bit of an oddball, in that they had 1/4 of the cache of a PII or PIII, but it runs at full speed, whilst those systems had half-speed cache. This means that in certain circumstances, a Celeron will outstrip an equivalent PII/Katmai PIII, particularly if you overclock the FSB to 100 MHz (as many did with their Celeron 300As back in the day).

Despite the seeming Celeron limitation, it does look like it was a nice enough little board, with a generous amount of fan headers for the time, AGP, PCI and ISA, two USB ports and all the caps look good.

I'm using a Celeron "Mendocino" 466 MHz in one of my builds, and not because I have to either! It's a good little chip for the time(1999/2000) I think you'll find that board will work very well with a similar CPU, back with that generation Celeron's were not the mess they were before with "Covington" cache-less disasters of a year before. The later "Coppermine 128"'s were not really so great either, the extra MHz didn't really make up for the 66MHz FSB but "Mendocino" was a great choice when it was new. Celeron got good again with the 100 Mhz FSB "Coppermine" parts and the "Tuleron", but that was a good bit into the future.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 11889 of 52702, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

NEC PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP - Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic 6MB PCI (1997) (Sealed)

That is a great find! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11890 of 52702, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
NEC PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP - Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic 6MB PCI (1997) (Sealed) […]
Show full quote

qLYX1j.jpg
XEmqCr.jpg

wow, that is awesome, great Tseng et6k for DOS stuff, Power VR & great audio, Makes you wonder why this is rare! On the face of it it's a great combination so should have sold by the bucket load. Wonder what happened?

Brill find regardless, have fun with it.
Best,
Chris

Reply 11893 of 52702, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

@BSAstarfire
The Voodoos wiped the floor with the other 3D accelerators until late*ish 98 😁
85% market share bitches

That is very true, I wonder why this didn't make it into thousands of OEM boxes though? It just seems a perfect combination, better than the ATI RAGE that most of them probably ended up with.

Reply 11894 of 52702, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:
Arctic wrote:

@BSAstarfire
85% market share bitches

That is very true, I wonder why this didn't make it into thousands of OEM boxes though? It just seems a perfect combination, better than the ATI RAGE that most of them probably ended up with.

The fact the Voodoos were 3D-only cards probably had a lot to do with it, as did the fact that the Rage may well have been cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Reply 11895 of 52702, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:
Arctic wrote:

@BSAstarfire
85% market share bitches

Well, I can tell you the the Videlogic PowerVR Midas3 made it into thousands of Compaq Presario systems back in 1996.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11896 of 52702, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

@BSAstarfire
85% market share bitches

*Waiting for Hightreason to read this with a bucket of popcorn* 🤣

Reply 11897 of 52702, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Unisys CWP51007:

o1gNQxeQ2o1RXtTW7d5-BO_R5yKxxV8cv_EXfbi0vcZowF-N1NdEyZPtuOIOFLLkYRhpXnliIxd5=w1347-h1011-no

It houses a large collection of dust bunnies, but it still works. The date was a few months off, but if the original battery was never replaced it's still impressive that it actually still has some charge in it.

Since I didn't want to spend the rest of the day sneezing I didn't kept it open for too long, so I'm not sure yet about all the internals. I know it's a Pentium 100 and the original HDD was replaced by a Seagate SCSI unit at some point. It was supposed to come with and IDE HDD when new, but the original HDD wasn't there. Strangely the FDD was also a much newer replacement (manufactured in 2000) and wasn't even connected to anything, so it makes me wonder if the motherboard's built-in HDD and FDD controller is still working.

The interesting thing about this machine is that it's a perfectly normal IBM PC compatible unit but comes with Unisys' proprietary OS which was called CTOS. I'm perfectly at home with command-line interfaces namely on Linux, OSX and MS-DOS/Windows but I felt like a complete idiot when trying to do anything on this machine 😁 I guess this is what people that never used any command-line ever feel like when they are told to "just use the command-line, it's easy" 🤣

I discovered there's a dir and a edit command, but even understanding how to use those was complicated. I couldn't really "edit" anything, and the directory listing looked like this (with several more similar pages):

HcM3OSRVJQ3CUhweYu3wstA_2PIZhU6HnOLGGgIuIgq-cM82bNmEHDP8oT1L_f1YJndPo8cTIvOk=w1347-h1011-no

PS: I actually got 2 more identical PCs but haven't tried them yet. Those don't seem to have SCSI disks though.

Reply 11898 of 52702, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@RaccoonRider; Oh, ha ha ha.

I would think by now it would be common knowledge that all early 3D accelerators were poor and offered little outside of novelty value anyway, regardless of who made them. Some day, when I have time and a system I don't mind ruining, I'll put the statistics together and show you exactly what things look like without rose tinted nostalgia goggles, delusions or blind fanboyism towards any particular vendor.

I haven't forgotten the bullshit the mods pulled last time, the people in power here are pathetic and can't even gather the courage to take responsibility for their actions or apologize for them.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11899 of 52702, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I would think by now it would be common knowledge that all early 3D accelerators were poor and offered little outside of novelty value anyway, regardless of who made them. Some day, when I have time and a system I don't mind ruining, I'll put the statistics together and show you exactly what things look like without rose tinted nostalgia goggles, delusions or blind fanboyism towards any particular vendor.

Can't wait, mate.