VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11960 of 52813, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Junk yards don't carry that sort of thing - plus I think the last local one was bulldozed for more shitty apartments not long ago - and you are not legally permitted to remove trash from waste disposal centers.

@BSA Starfire: Oh, so they like you on AmiBay. 😁 No registering interest post I ever made got approved so I gave up on that place ages ago, I guess someone doesn't like me there for some reason or else the forum software is broken. Oddly, my "Wanted" posts were left alone though unfortunately nobody had or wanted to part with the stuff I wanted - which is fair play because it was obscure stuff I just asked for on the off-chance someone had it.

As it stands, there are still things I need, but only one is liable to be expensive. Other things, including those I don't need, I am likely to obtain more directly through "collector" channels should they ever come up. As luck would have it though, I don't need much and most of what I do is still cheap (Like ISA Host Adapters, of which I need one at some point in the future), this is ruined by one component being insanely expensive. I might give AmiBay a shot for that because, as stated, my wanted posts always went through just fine and I think at least a few people who sell things in such circles know me and know I pay immediately.

I have had limited success scouting the estate for stuff as people leave, finding only a broken Socket A and Socket 370 system so far. Though with one of them I got a nice 15" LG monitor and a few other goodies too.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11961 of 52813, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

J
@BSA Starfire: Oh, so they like you on AmiBay. 😁 No registering interest post I ever made got approved so I gave up on that place ages ago, I guess someone doesn't like me there for some reason or else the forum software is broken. Oddly, my "Wanted" posts were left alone though unfortunately nobody had or wanted to part with the stuff I wanted - which is fair play because it was obscure stuff I just asked for on the off-chance someone had it.

I kinda remember amibay being really awkward when I first joined, I think I ended up emailing a mod who I had actually spoken to in the real world before and then it was OK, been a long time now tho, so my memory could be faulty.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 11963 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought one these. 8 US Dollars including shipping.
Found an asian reseller, china I think.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL52R.html

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11964 of 52813, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

High prices are the sure thing that is going to keep new people from getting into Dos and Win9x retro to the point where it may as well be like trying to buy into Amiga is now.

This is what concerns me the most. Already a good chunk of this hobby is made up with elitist rich kids stroking each other's dicks, I don't like the idea of the rest of it eventually being like that and it would suck that newcomers wouldn't be able to learn about or experience the hardware for themselves.

It already does for new comers and people my age are probably are the last that will get to experience this hardware before it becomes impossible to own. What really sucks though personally is having to rebuy everything after losing my collection not once but twice and all the money as a college student I had to cough up. I had to make up my mind that I will have to give up on some things like XT class machines, Amiga, and high end dos gear ect. I am just glad though that I have been able to rebuy any of it before everything can sky rocket. Soon there will be a mad dash by people to mop up cheap XP era gear.

I can only wonder what will be the Duesenberg of the XP retro era /hides

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11965 of 52813, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Funny, the Pentium III 1GHz I ordered the other day just arrived today. It's an SL4MF though. Anything special about the SL52R?

Reply 11966 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

High prices are the sure thing that is going to keep new people from getting into Dos and Win9x retro to the point where it may as well be like trying to buy into Amiga is now.

This is what concerns me the most. Already a good chunk of this hobby is made up with elitist rich kids stroking each other's dicks, I don't like the idea of the rest of it eventually being like that and it would suck that newcomers wouldn't be able to learn about or experience the hardware for themselves.

It already does for new comers and people my age are probably are the last that will get to experience this hardware before it becomes impossible to own. What really sucks though personally is having to rebuy everything after losing my collection not once but twice and all the money as a college student I had to cough up. I had to make up my mind that I will have to give up on some things like XT class machines, Amiga, and high end dos gear ect. I am just glad though that I have been able to rebuy any of it before everything can sky rocket. Soon there will be a mad dash by people to mop up cheap XP era gear.

I can only wonder what will be the Duesenberg of the XP retro era /hides

I don't know. I have been reasonable lucky my self. And this is my first time, re-buying all this stuff.
As I have only been in this hobby for the last 3 years or so. So I might actually be one of them newcomers that are lucky.
I mean... Voodoo3-3500 Compaq at 10 US Dollars, and GF4-ti4200 at 3.83 US Dollars. Man... I feel like I have been lucky.
I totally agree on the thing, that newcomers to this hobby has to be extremely lucky to get all the nice stuff.

devius wrote:

Funny, the Pentium III 1GHz I ordered the other day just arrived today. It's an SL4MF though. Anything special about the SL52R?

I actually don't know. I think it's just different productions at different factories. Nothing out of the ordinaery.
Though some might be total a*al 🤣, and declare whatever tiny differences that makes one of them stand out. 😉

Reply 11967 of 52813, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
I don't know. I have been reasonable lucky my self. And this is my first time, re-buying all this stuff. As I have only been in […]
Show full quote

I don't know. I have been reasonable lucky my self. And this is my first time, re-buying all this stuff.
As I have only been in this hobby for the last 3 years or so. So I might actually be one of them newcomers that are lucky.
I mean... Voodoo3-3500 Compaq at 10 US Dollars, and GF4-ti4200 at 3.83 US Dollars. Man... I feel like I have been lucky.
I totally agree on the thing, that newcomers to this hobby has to be extremely lucky to get all the nice stuff.

I actually don't know. I think it's just different productions at different factories. Nothing out of the ordinaery.
Though some might be total a*al 🤣, and declare whatever tiny differences that makes one of them stand out. 😉

Been in the hobby since I was in the 6th grade 🤣, lost the collection in a move back in 2007 and once more in 2012 to arson. 😵
Better enjoy the amazing deals as they won't last, two years ago I even scored two Thinkpad Transnotes for $5 a pop 😎

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11968 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've gotten lucky with some things, I know my Voodoo 2 was a lot cheaper than most, and I've gotten many a laptop for bargain basement prices. But some people are just nuts with what they ask for.

Reply 11969 of 52813, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

The Nintendo collectors market is the worst. The asshats at NintendoAge have overinflated prices across the board in their never ending quest to circle jerk with the guy who paid the most for a game.

Anyone jumping into the hobby for Nintendo anything had better have deeeeeeep pockets.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 11970 of 52813, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these graphic cards this week.

My target was: to get VGA cards as cheap as possible, but also the interesting one's 🤣 Finally i've to test them, hope they're all allright...

• Geforce 5700: Leadtek WinFast A360 256MB - Should be fast as a Ti-4600

0fGxmU1.jpg

• Geforce 2 GTS: Asus V7700 32M (TVR) - Acc. to the board layout, it looks like the 'deluxe' version, not to 'Pure' version.

K15U7te.jpg

kn68qp9.jpg

• Riva TNT2: ELSA Synergy A-32 - Should be a good time matching replacement for my K6-2 system (/ actual installed:GF2-MX400).

uzLvPfS.jpg

S1WvYrK.jpg

• Geforce 7900GS: "[mad-moxx] enhanced: GeForce 7900 GS 256MB Burstfire" - It's a OC version of a 7900GS with a cooler, similar or equal to the Arctic-Coolings VGA coolers. According to the sellers homepage, it's clocked @ 580MHz for GPU and 1600MHz for GDDR3 RAM.

JkksjyV.jpg

hIXw9WU.jpg

nbpK4JK.jpg

Last edited by melbar on 2016-05-11, 20:09. Edited 1 time in total.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 11971 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

The Nintendo collectors market is the worst. The asshats at NintendoAge have overinflated prices across the board in their never ending quest to circle jerk with the guy who paid the most for a game.

Anyone jumping into the hobby for Nintendo anything had better have deeeeeeep pockets.

Here, Low end Amiga's (A500/A600) are cheaper than NES consoles (8-bit).
High end Amiga's (A1200/A4000) are sometimes twice the price than NES.
C64 and NES are priced the same.

It's all still priced too high for my taste, that I can tell. 🙁

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-05-11, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11972 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Melbar:
You got some nice cards there.... 😀

Reply 11973 of 52813, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one of those winfast A360 cards for years, it was really good. didn't replace it from everyday use till 2012! I did remove the grill though, made it awkward to clean the dust out.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 11974 of 52813, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is plenty of cheap stuff to be had. Just a matter of persistence and good search skills. In the end the # of hours dedicated pays off.

I find finding cool stuff for a cheap price fun but after a while I never get around to using it so I just sell it off again. That basically keeps the hobby somewhat cost neutral. Especially with Roland and IBM cheap things end up costing quite a bit after everything is said and done (shipping / gas / upgrades). 🤣

Reply 11975 of 52813, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
brostenen wrote:

the one you got has lower Vcore and lower Tcase, so cooler overall, rest seems identical

Reply 11976 of 52813, by firev12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, sorry I'm late. Glad to report that I'm not a rookie! Battery seems ok, I will have it removed though. JP settings are indeed printed on the pcb, but I prefer the manual. I know the h/s is glued to the cpu (although it looks like a cyrix @40mhz, not that hot) and I have an AMD @40mhz I want to use instead (like 22 years ago, w/o heatsink). I just want to remove the cpu from the socket. any ideas?

Reply 11977 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:

the one you got has lower Vcore and lower Tcase, so cooler overall, rest seems identical

🤣 Now you got me hunting for information on those two CPU's. I was just reading the Intel Specification sheet's.

Naturally. Stepping are different on these two. What exactly they have changed in the CPU's are unknown to me.
Hmmm.... Corporate secrets I guess. I can't find anything for shure.

Reply 11978 of 52813, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firev12 wrote:

I just want to remove the cpu from the socket. any ideas?

Yes, use something thin and strong (a small screwdriver will do) and gently insert it between the socket and the CPU and then wiggle it a bit. Repeat the process for other spots around the CPU until it's loose enough you can pull it out with your fingers.

Those sockets suck, and they are called LIF for Low Insertion Force. Should have called them HRF: High Removal Force instead.

Reply 11979 of 52813, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Naturally. Stepping are different on these two. What exactly they have changed in the CPU's are unknown to me.
Hmmm.... Corporate secrets I guess. I can't find anything for shure.

The one I have seems to be slightly older, and considering they raised the VCore on the newer one I wonder if mine is not as stable or something like that.