VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12120 of 52977, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I know, my phone has a little bit of a wide-angle lens, which made it a bit distorted as well...

brassicGamer wrote:

That's a much better angle of the connector! 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 12121 of 52977, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

Looks like a very early 486 system because of the apparent lack of local bus - ISA only it seems. Board says 1992 so it must be early '92 and therefore a DX33?

My guess is a 486 DX2-66 because it has a heatsink and fan, and it seems that awesome front panel display says 67 MHz or am I reading it wrong? Also it looks like an expensive system due to all the extra hardware that a regular desktop PC wouldn't have, and in 1992 you couldn't get more expensive than a DX2-66. Could also have been upgraded later on.

Reply 12122 of 52977, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:
brostenen wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

funny you should say that, it was broken with a rattling inside

Left or right? As far as I remember, it was never up/down. Allways either left or right. Right most of the times.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12124 of 52977, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

Looks like a very early 486 system because of the apparent lack of local bus - ISA only it seems. Board says 1992 so it must be early '92 and therefore a DX33?

My guess is a 486 DX2-66 because it has a heatsink and fan, and it seems that awesome front panel display says 67 MHz or am I reading it wrong? Also it looks like an expensive system due to all the extra hardware that a regular desktop PC wouldn't have, and in 1992 you couldn't get more expensive than a DX2-66. Could also have been upgraded later on.

I read 67MHz too, but why so many different MHz LED's, do you suppose I can change the speed using the buttons on the front of the case?

Definitely Industrial use and one hell of an expensive system back in 1992 when 386 boards and systems were still being manufactured and sold. Complete system this old with hard disk removed possibly company policy. No VLB slots and no 72 pin RAM plus the 1992 manufacture date on the motherboard - early 486 system for sure.

I have read on vogons that headland chipsets almost always indicate OEM in older 286/386 systems.

Its calling out to me to strip my other 486DX33 (ultima7 pc) of the Tekram Cache controller card and install a whole bunch of Seagate Medalist hard drives along with the Roland MIF-IPC-A.

A bargain at 109 AUD (78USD) but which one of you fellow Aussies fought me in the last 2 seconds of that auction? 😀

Last edited by rgart on 2016-05-22, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 12125 of 52977, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

I read 67MHz too, but why so many different MHz LED's, do you suppose I can change the speed using the buttons on the front of the case?

I don't think so. My guess is the top portion of the display is a fancy Turbo display, but probably still the same basic turbo functionality underneath. The bottom part seems to be a clock 🤣 Maybe you can set alarms and turn that PC into a kickass alarm clock 😁

rgart wrote:

...early 486 system for sure.

Well, the first 486s were released in 1989, so it wouldn't be that early. I'm still betting on a DX2-66 because the heatsink on it looks like the glued-on heatsink of boxed 486s but with a fan attached to it.

And the fan was attached using off-the-shelf screws and nuts, so clearly aftermarket.

Reply 12126 of 52977, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By pure chance, I bought a few more items today.

I happened to be in the vicinity of a second hand shop and decided to go and try my luck. Usually this particular shop doesn't have anything worthwhile when it comes to old parts, but this time I had more luck.

3 boxes, 1 filled with untested harddrives, a second one with optical drives and a 3rd one filled with PSUs.
I first went through the box with harddrives, which contained mostly 160GB drives for about €4 each. I kinda "confiscated" the entire box in order to prevent someone else from wading through the drives and pulling out all the nicer ones and after having disregarded all the Maxors and Seagates (and a single SATA drive with a broken connector) I ended up with 4 IDE drives, 3x160GB and 1x320GB (1 old Samsung Spinpoint and 3 WD drives).

Then I went through the box of PSUs and had a look at all roughly 15 of them and I decided to take out all the most promising ones first and put the more crappy Recoms, Q-Tecs and Huntkeys back, which left me with a 350W FSP, 350W AOpen and a 350W Delta Electronics.

After having inspected all 3 of them (couldn't open them up in the shop, they don't like it when people do that) I decided to put the AOpen back as both other PSUs had 30A/5v and the AOpen a mere 21A (and the fact that I was on foot and happened to not have any good packaging materials with me today and all this stuff was HEAVY 🤣!).

The final box with optical drives, I didn't even bother with those drives as I'm very well stocked on those, but I did take out 2 external USB floppy drives, same model by Toshiba, which I took mostly because of their seemingly good condition, good price (€4,50 each) and because I only had a single external USB floppy drive which I know worked the last time I used it.

When I got back home, I had a closer look at the PSUs and as I was kinda looking at how to open up this particular (quite heavy) model, I noticed "PB" in the model number (which I had overlooked before I bought it), but all caps seem fine.
Theres lots of sites saying they have the technical manual, but I don't like touching strange looking url's 😜

The FSP was next, all caps seem alright, but all of them seemed to be OST (I couldn't make out the ones in the Delta, but those seemed to look fine as well) BUT at least none appear to be leaking and none of the PSUs appear to have any other visual damage or odd smell. Not bad! ...if only these units actually have a standard ATX pinout, as the FSP also seems to be an OEM PSU.

Heres the model numbers of all the stuff I dragged home:
-Delta Electronics DPS-350PB-2 C REV:01
specs: +12v/18A -- +5v/30A -- +3.3v/28A -- -12v/0.8A -- -5v/0.3A -- +5vsb/2.0A
-FSP350-60MDN (which stands for "Medion" perhaps?) Rev.A
specs: +12v/19.5A -- +5v/30A -- +3.3v/28A and also both -5v and -12v rails

Harddrives:
Samsung SP1604N 160GB IDE -- Date: 2005.09
WD 160GB IDE -- Date: 23 JUN 2009 (this one comes with a blue-ish sticker) Model WD1600AAJB and apparently with 8MB cache
WD 160GB IDE -- Date: 22 NOV 2007 (black (older?) sticker) Model WD1600AAJB-00PVA0 (same model number as the blue one)
WD 320GB IDE -- Date: 16 FEB 2008 (black sticker, same as the older 160GB WD) Model WD3200AVJB-63WKA0

Both external floppy drives are Toshiba PA3109U with apparently mostly identical stickers. These could possibly even have been together ever since these were sold.

I don't think this is a bad haul (for €35), but I'm well aware of the risk of particularly the harddrives. The external floppy drives are probably alright. I dunno about the wiring of the PSUs but they should be reasonably good quality units (I mostly took them for their 5v amps and those -5v/-12v rails).

I couldn't hear any free-roaming particles inside those harddrives, due to the background music obscuring all of my attempts to hear anything subtly wrong.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12127 of 52977, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

I can't read the MHz display, but my guess is that it could be an Intel Overdrive with a very low heatsink with 3rd party fan mounted on top with those screws.

Edit: I'd forgotten those overdrive chips never came in 33MHz variants. My guess now would be indeed the 66MHz one.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12128 of 52977, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice pickup for £9. This is going to go into my Pentium 3 machine. I've ordered a Tualatin 1400mhz off the Korean Guy and waiting for that to arrive so this card should go nice with it.

Its a Boxed complete HIS Excalibur Radeon 9700. Strange thing is the sticker on the back of the card states it's a 9700 Pro. I'll need to check it out when i get it installed. A great card and a great price.

20160523_100520.jpg

Reply 12131 of 52977, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your friend Flavio has gifted you a retro hall of fame! Congrats 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12132 of 52977, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Indrid Cold wrote:

A friend of mine has done me a great surprise... 4 packages full of good stuff, for my surprise! These are the best shots, thanks Flavio - finally a Tseng VGA for me too:

The Intel DX/2 66MHz make me jealous 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 12133 of 52977, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Indrid Cold wrote:

A friend of mine has done me a great surprise... 4 packages full of good stuff, for my surprise! These are the best shots, thanks Flavio - finally a Tseng VGA for me too:

Great stuff. Nice things. 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12134 of 52977, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

When I got back home, I had a closer look at the PSUs and as I was kinda looking at how to open up this particular (quite heavy) model, I noticed "PB" in the model number (which I had overlooked before I bought it), but all caps seem fine.
Theres lots of sites saying they have the technical manual, but I don't like touching strange looking url's 😜

I'll go through some of those dodgy websites to snfif for a manual for ya later. I like doing this sort of stuff and I have a vmware machine just specifically for this.

Reply 12136 of 52977, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:

The Intel DX/2 66MHz make me jealous 😀

...and makes me happy: it will fit very good between my 486 DX-33 and AM484 DX4-100, to fill the freq. gap 😀

I hope those two new motherboards will go well, the two CPUs are the same model.

Reply 12137 of 52977, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was in need of a 3-1/4" floppy drive, so I headed over to ebay a few days ago. I saw one that wasn't expensive, looked a bit odd and the pictures were at a weird angle, but you could see a part number in a label and I googled it to a real Sony FDD so I bought a couple. They arrived today. The package was really heavy for what should have been a couple of FDDs. So I opened it up and found these:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

They appear to be a FDD/CDRW combo, either from a small modular desktop or from a really big laptop. There's a 34-pin FDD connector and a 40-pin IDE connector in the back. But there is no power connnector anywhere. I wonder how I can use that combo. Perhaps I'll have to disassemble it to find how I can power it up - unless it has some sort of proprietary connector that delivers power over the IDE or FDD cable.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12138 of 52977, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

I was in need of a 3-1/4" floppy drive, so I headed over to ebay a few days ago. I saw one that wasn't expensive, looked a bit odd and the pictures were at a weird angle, but you could see a part number in a label and I googled it to a real Sony FDD so I bought a couple. They arrived today. The package was really heavy for what should have been a couple of FDDs. So I opened it up and found these:

They appear to be a FDD/CDRW combo, either from a small modular desktop or from a really big laptop. There's a 34-pin FDD connector and a 40-pin IDE connector in the back. But there is no power connnector anywhere. I wonder how I can use that combo. Perhaps I'll have to disassemble it to find how I can power it up - unless it has some sort of proprietary connector that delivers power over the IDE or FDD cable.

Reminds me of those IBM floppy drives. These had the power supplied to the drives through the flat data cables themselves (they are proprietary).

Could it be possible these drives came from external units?

And it's 3 1/2 and 5 1/4, the 3 1/4 floppy drives must be really very rare (I do remember floppy drives were made in more sizes then just 8in, 5 1/4in and 3 1/2in)

kithylin wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I'll go through some of those dodgy websites to snfif for a manual for ya later. I like doing this sort of stuff and I have a vmware machine just specifically for this.

That would be awesome! Neat idea too, using a vmware rig specifically for this. I used to use one for dodgy software before 😊

Report spammers here!

Reply 12139 of 52977, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah 3-1/2 inch silly me. The bottom of the combo is covered by a piece of black plastic curved at the front edge to match the bezel, and there are some tabs on the sides that look like the unit was made to slide in and out of a larger enclosure. I have no information about the kind of system they were meant to go into. If anyone has any information about these it'll be appreciated.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O