VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12360 of 52964, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recieved a "retro-care-package" today.....

Trident 9000 VGA ISA card, and a YMF-718 soundcard. They are both working. Here they are on my 386sx33 board.
They both fits beautifully in an 386sx33 MS-Dos-6.22 era build. The Trident works great with 386 titles and
the soundcard is SB-Pro + Adlib compatible, wich fits nice into the 1988/1991 period.

Here they are both, installed and being tested on my 386 board.
The only item I really need now, is an AT-Desktop case. 😀

CarePackage.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12361 of 52964, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:

The last sound card with the daughterboard is a MediaSonic Sound Commander Gold. My guess is that it's a simple Sound Blaster clone or maybe Adlib Gold clone judging by the name. I have a Sound Commander EX which seems to be a Sound Blaster clone but I can't find any info on it.

Thanks , atleast I know what to call it now, sadly Mediasonic decided to scratch away the audio chips identifying marks and cover it with their sticker, so I have no idea whats powering this card 🤣

Reply 12362 of 52964, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

Thanks , atleast I know what to call it now, sadly Mediasonic decided to scratch away the audio chips identifying marks and cover it with their sticker, so I have no idea whats powering this card 🤣

Well, you sort of can tell actually. The one with the "M Media" sticker is probably an MT0251 judging by the label next to it in the PCB. It's also the same size as a similar chip on my card that is a MT0252 and doesn't have a sticker on top. From what I was able to investigate the MT0252 is a rebranded OPL2 chip. No idea about the MT0251, but it's probably an earlier revision of the same thing. On my card there are 3 other chips labelled PAL1 (up to 3) and a big one labelled MUSIC on the PCB also with a similar sticker on top with the outlined M and 7 numbers. No idea what it does.

Reply 12363 of 52964, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

There is also a sound card that looks like it had a home made CD-rom Attachment for it, and another sound card that looks pretty good,

The Media Vision card looks like a Pro 3D without the Korg DB, and the "home made CD-rom Attachment" is not so-home made, and it seems to be a proprietary LMSI CD-ROM interface daughterboard.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 12364 of 52964, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bought, but received from a fellow Vogoner - the main article was a SCSI cable (a VERY exciting item when you don't possess a single one and want to get a tape drive up and running) and a bonus item. He described it as:

A card wich is a bit strange.
A card wich have a place in history, as a failed concept from a big chip manufactor

I was pretty sure i knew what he was referring to and, sure enough, it's an i740-based card (on the right), but with the added bonus of TV-out.

20160607_174126-1600x899.jpg
Filename
20160607_174126-1600x899.jpg
File size
433.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Perfect, considering i have an Intel-branded card and have been looking forward to doing a comparison. I've read very good things about this card, which out-performs the Riva128. It just never took off in the way Intel had hoped and i don't think the drivers ever reached maturity.

Thanks, man! Packaging was hilarious too (posh cat food box). Made my kids laugh. Very well packaged internally.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12365 of 52964, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the card has video-in too.... 😉 It's a 740-ViVo.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12367 of 52964, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed a Gotek Floppy Emulator in my AT&T DX4 100 today and have been running scandisk on my SD-Card drive. It just found a bad cluster which just crashed the scan...

First thing I did was create a boot disk with my emulator, so now I get to rebuild DOS again...

Now there are two AT&T posts in a row, but when I'm done with this case, the logo will be covered up. 😀

Reply 12368 of 52964, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This turned up today. From reading up it is a Socket 7 Gemlight GMB-P54IPS V1 with a Pentium 120. It was listed as working but the Bios would not hold time or settings. Upon inspecting i was pleasantly surprised to find the Dallas is socketed so i can just switch it out for a new one. Now i need to find some memory for it. Anyone have any suggestions to a good PCI VGA card to pair with this machine?

8cdef37e-448f-466a-b978-cdb04c54508e.jpg

Reply 12369 of 52964, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone have any suggestions to a good PCI VGA card to pair with this machine?

For non-3D just pick any S3 Trio/Virge card. Usually quite cheap and work great - DOS and 2D Windows GUI. For 3D add Voodoo 1 or 2.

Other possibilities but work better with P2 or P3:

- Nvidia TNT/TNT2 PCI
- Voodoo 3 PCI
- Geforce PCI

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12370 of 52964, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
For non-3D just pick any S3 Trio/Virge card. Usually quite cheap and work great - DOS and 2D Windows GUI. For 3D add Voodoo 1 or […]
Show full quote

Anyone have any suggestions to a good PCI VGA card to pair with this machine?

For non-3D just pick any S3 Trio/Virge card. Usually quite cheap and work great - DOS and 2D Windows GUI. For 3D add Voodoo 1 or 2.

Other possibilities but work better with P2 or P3:

- Nvidia TNT/TNT2 PCI
- Voodoo 3 PCI
- Geforce PCI

I do have a PCI Voodoo Banshee but I thought the Pentium 120 wouldn't have enough grunt to make the most of it? I'll give it a try.

Reply 12371 of 52964, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will work as fast as the CPU can deliver the data. Depends on what you want to run on P-120. In the end you can always change the CPU for something faster - P233MMX at least or some form of K6-2/3 if the motherboard has support.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12373 of 52964, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

My AT&T has a Trident PCI VGA: works fine for DOS but would likely be slow for Duke 3D. I will play around with that game on the weekend perhaps. 😀

Trident is not too bad, middle of the pack type of card. It shouldn't cause much slow-down in Duke 3D. That depends mostly on the processor.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12374 of 52964, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm in the process of buying (finally) a PCB for Sergey's Xi 8088 SBC, and an ISA backplane. Here's the backplane:

s-l1600.jpg

Think 14 ISA slots are enough? 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12376 of 52964, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

xE4xB8xl.jpg

Bought this mono/printer card off of Ebay just a moment ago.

Any idea if this thing would support Hercules graphics? I'm having a hard time finding out any info on it.

Realtek RTG3100 is the only IC on the board.

I also picked up a tandy EGA/CGA adapter and a Persyst Color 2 CGA board:

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Reply 12377 of 52964, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just snipped a Roland RAP-10. Was all prepped for a bid war. You guys disappoint. 🤣

Sad that the box is so beat up though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLAND-RAP10-SO … 7469?nav=SEARCH

Reply 12378 of 52964, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Talking about beaten up box, I was just joining the party yesterday to "up the price" for the final buyer 😈 because I saw it was 'too low' at Eur 21 into the last minute... but I ended up winning it. 😐

Might as well snipe at the last seconds to save some quids. Well, at least the postage is cheap so...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-voodoo2-voodoo-2 … p-/162088716282

Last edited by archsan on 2016-06-08, 17:57. Edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)